Movies - What do you eat?

Options

Replies

• Busymissbridge
    Busymissbridge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I went on Saturday and took some blackberries which were yummy.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    You really do not go often enough to worry about what you eat. So go eat and enjoy the movie!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    If you can try to break the habit of mindless snacking in front of the screen. It is a learned behaviour and a poor one. It wont serve you any good.

I know people don't agree with it, but this really is true. I am not saying *don't* get movie snacks if you want them. I just don't see why movies HAVE to be associated with snacks. It almost sounds like some people can't ever go to a theater without eating something. I go to a theater maybe once a year. If I feel like that happens to be at a time when eating should happen I'll get popcorn. Otherwise, no I don't eat. I would much rather eat a nice meal before or after than mindlessly snack on stuff.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I go to the movies about twice a week on average, I know it's a lot, but I do usually orders a small popcorn and share with my husband. I always bring my own water bottle in, my water bottle lives in my purse. Sometimes I'll chose to have a portion of whatever my husband gets, but I count out the pcs and add accordingly. Lately, because it's berry season here in California, I bring a bag of mixed berries, easy fiber and tasty.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't really like eating during the movies because of how much it costs and because of how noisy it is with the unwrapping and chomping. I tend to just sneak in a drink.

I prefer stopping at the Marble Slab near the theater afterward. :P
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    About half the time we don't have anything (if it's the 7 pm movie) and the other times (the 9:30 movie) we alternate between sharing a no-butter kids size popcorn and bringing our own nut mix (raw macadamias, pecans, almonds, and cashews in a baggie with Himalayan pink salt). There aren't many movies worth watching anyhow. We'd rather go out and dance somewhere or listen to a live band.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a small popcorn, sometimes nothing.
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Nothing.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have an enormous love of cinema popcorn. I actually get cravings for it. I go to the movies a couple of times a month, I love the experience and popcorn is part of that. I plan ahead and allow my calories so I can have it but bring water instead of having soda, to level it out.

The salt is a killer tough.

Once upon a time, I would have dumped a bag of malteasers in there too but no more! For I am a reformed "fat man eater" these days!
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Typically a large popcorn with extra butter and a full pack of twizzlers.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    POPCORN
    ICECREAM
    M&MS

:smile:
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I usually take a snack pack of Snyder's Gluten free pretzels and a Quest Protein bar.
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been known to bring a fruit salad.
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Xo_c_e_b_xo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A small sweet popcorn
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Some of you are pretty upset at the idea of snacking at a movie. I literally go once or twice a year. I have 3 kids. Those very rare occasions where I get to go to a movie without kids, I want the full experience. I enjoy snacking while at the theater. I don't snack at home when watching a movie, so why is it such a bad thing?

You asked what people eat when they go to the movies. How is saying you don't eat anything at the movies being "upset at the idea of snacking at a movie"? It's just answering your question.
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I sneak in cashews and a hard boiled egg because I go to the first showing of the day. Add in some cherries or a banana and I've got breakfast. I also drink a lot of water.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    If you can try to break the habit of mindless snacking in front of the screen. It is a learned behaviour and a poor one. It wont serve you any good.

I know people don't agree with it, but this really is true. I am not saying *don't* get movie snacks if you want them. I just don't see why movies HAVE to be associated with snacks. It almost sounds like some people can't ever go to a theater without eating something. I go to a theater maybe once a year. If I feel like that happens to be at a time when eating should happen I'll get popcorn. Otherwise, no I don't eat. I would much rather eat a nice meal before or after than mindlessly snack on stuff.

See, for some people it's part of the ritual, and there is nothing wrong with having rituals involving food. It shouldn't be looked down upon as "poor behavior" because the purpose it serves is not really to mindlessly eat, but to mark an occasion as special. Some events are usually associated with food like holidays, birthdays, festivals, some kinds of parties, carnivals and fairs...etc. Some foods are strongly associated with some occasions marking them as special, and for some going to the movies is one of these special occasions, with food being a part of the experience.

It's interesting how some go with "it's a birthday/date/whatever, eat and enjoy your time" but draw the line at movie popcorn. I'm not singling anyone out, it's just this disconnect is a bit peculiar to me.

On a side note: not my place to judge what people eat, but I'm a bit surprised that many people mention nuts. They are even more calorie-rich than popcorn per volume. That wouldn't last me 5 minutes into the movie then the experience is over.
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I eat my regular meal before hand and bring a bottle of sparkling water, a apple, and whatever fun 200 calorie snack I want. I sneak it all in!
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I like popcorn and diet coke at the movies but it's more about enjoying the movie than health.