it sounds like you should do more research into each

also

IIFYM is fantastic

restrictive diets suck

just my opinion tho
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    None have better results. Why? Because it boils down to your caloric deficit; not what food items you're consuming.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i think that will be a matter of opinion. you will probably get alot of varied answers. my husband and i are considering starting keto, i have heard that a high(er) fat diet is good for healthy brain function and for mental disorders so i am thinking of giving it a go. i believe everyone says it is kind of hard, though, b/c you also have to count calories in addition to keeping carbs at bay. right now i am doing CICO and it's working for me.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    i think that will be a matter of opinion. you will probably get alot of varied answers. my husband and i are considering starting keto, i have heard that a high(er) fat diet is good for healthy brain function and for mental disorders so i am thinking of giving it a go. i believe everyone says it is kind of hard, though, b/c you also have to count calories in addition to keeping carbs at bay. right now i am doing CICO and it's working for me.

you can get tons of fat in your diet with IIFYM

hell I don't even pay attention to carbs really

I make sure I hit my calories and protein goal

then fill in the blank with the rest. this often includes a lot of peanut butter so I get a lot of fat lol
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    CICO FTW B)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    IIFYM literally means If it fits YOUR Macros. If your macros keep you in a ketogenic state, then you are therefore following both Keto and IIFYM.
    -Happy Rainbows and Unicorn Sparkles MFP Welcome Crew
  • motorola10
    motorola10 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    CICO FTW B)

What's CICO?
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    calories in - calories out
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    IIFYM literally means If it fits YOUR Macros. If your macros keep you in a ketogenic state, then you are therefore following both Keto and IIFYM.

damn is MFP getting Crews now

aw snap

- Second MFP Crew Ever Crew
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

damn is MFP getting Crews now

aw snap

- Second MFP Crew Ever Crew

This isn't BB.com lol,

-Burger crew checking in
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find any thinking that involves the idea of a diet as something you go "on" to lose weight to be a faulty premise.

Instead of asking the question you asked, it might be better to ask yourself how you're prepared to eat to manage your weight... not just for weight loss, but for maintaining that loss.

Any way of eating which results in a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss. Forming healthy habits and a healthy way of thinking about the food you eat will enable you to keep it off.

Do some more homework before you decide which path your weight loss efforts take you down.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    By the way that you asked this question, it's likely you dont know much about either. Do your research and figure out what would work better for your lifestyle. Remember it comes down to calories for weight loss. Cico.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Which is better... the one you can stick to.

We have crews :D .....

IIFYM Forever Crew (well until next comp prep :s )
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    CICO/IIFYM works best for me. I love carbs and do cardio that I feel is better fueled when I eat enough of them.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    CICO is all that matters for losing weight. But for me, I found it easiest to stick to a healthy, low calorie way of eating by going with Keto. And I'm also amazingly proud that I kicked my crazy bad sugar habit!
    Also, my cystic acne completely cleared up on its own. I couldn't even get it to go away last year when I was on meds for it. Bonus!
  • whyhelloheart
    whyhelloheart Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Alright, alright, alright. I'm literally struggling with this entire concept right now.

On Wednesday I decided, "ALRIGHT! Let's jump on the keto bandwagon!" So, since Wednesday I have been eating <10g a day. Do you feel full with all the fat? Totally. But I found that the meals are really restrictive. Plus, you'd be shocked to see just how high in carbohydrates things are. Like I really love broccoli and I really love eating a fuckton of broccoli. I can't eat a boatload of broccoli while on keto. That upsets my soul.

Now! I've lost 100 pounds with CICO. I never stopped eating certain foods. I ate what I wanted to and I made sure it fit within that calorie goal. You know how much broccoli I can eat with CICO? A boatload and then some. I love that!

I have some metabolic issues, so I do see the benefit in a low carb diet, but I personally am beginning to believe that keto is just so gosh darn restrictive for me. I can see it being an awesome diet for people who hate fruit and veggies and who restricted themselves from high fat meals before. But for people who have already successfully lost weight eating whatever they want with CICO, I don't think it's anything special.

This is coming from a girl who is SUPER EXHAUSTED and napped TWICE ALREADY TODAY because I have zero energy from the lack of carbs. Hahah
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    JOY1078 wrote: »
    Which has better results? Keto or IIFYM? Why

You can't do keto without doing IIFYM.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    So, since Wednesday I have been eating <10g a day.

It's not necessary (or recommended as far as I'm aware) to restrict your carbs to that extent to enter ketosis. Also, and the real reason I'm replying, needing multiple naps to get through the day isn't normal. Something is wrong. You need to reevaluate what you're doing with that in mind.

Are you eating enough food in general? Are you managing your electrolytes? Perhaps this FAQ might help.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Whichever one suits your eating preference, lifestyle, etc. If you can stick with a way of eating forever don't bother. Calories in vs calories out is what leads to weight loss, the mechanisms for achieving this (keto, weight watches, IIFYM, fasting, paleo, eating what you like to eat etc) are up to you.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    sooooo why even do keto?

someone aware me