What would you say to your pre-weight-gain self?

Options

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I would say don't try to stop smoking by yourself. Get Chantix or bad things will happen to you.
  • DAVEGETSLEAN
    DAVEGETSLEAN Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Drop the chalupa!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    To my adult self I'd say put down the Reece's Peanut Butter Cups and go do something active.

To my teen self, I'm not sure anything I said would have really convinced me there was nothing wrong with my strong athletic body. I didn't look like the ideal. I didnt hate my body just your average teenage girl agnst. It took maturity to grow into being totally comfortable in my own skin.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    put the fork down and get up off your *kitten*
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would say No, its not okay to sneak just one bite of a cookie or just a tiny spoonful of ice cream because it WILL add up and it WILL spiral into binging and you'll be miserable.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I would warn myself to believe the doctors next time.
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who wishes their former self knew something. I don't feel like it's about regretting your past, but about embracing your new life and simply wishing you could've done it sooner!

I think a lot of you are right though, in that my young self probably wouldn't listen when I told her to simply buy a size up in those pants and voila! No muffin top! Haha
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    folgers86 wrote: »
    I'm...actually the same way. I've always felt heavy even when I wasn't. I recently saw a pic of myself when I was a teenager and saw how thin I was and all I could think about was why I ever felt fat and insecure (feelings probably leftover from my pudgy pre-pubescent days). I would love to tell myself then to go try on a bikini and quit covering up so much. I'd also tell myself to exercise more and eat better food or I'd really find out what being overweight feels like.

This sums up what i would say to myself perfectly.

I would also add on to myself, that if you are insecure now, wait until you have gained almost 30lbs (as i did); cue not leaving the house and bailing on social events because i didn't want people to see how fat i became.

I've lost almost half of that and am feeling so much better in myself, but i didn't realize how long it takes to lose the weight the healthy way....all that cake suddenly doesn't seem worth it :p
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You're not fat, stupid.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down my entire life. There are a few different significant times in my life where I would love to say something to myself.

To teenage Julie: You used to love being active, don't lose that to depression. Get off of the couch and out of the fridge.

To 29 year old Julie: You have come so far and made so much progress. You are only 5 pounds from your goal weight. You busted your behind to get there. Don't allow yourself to drown your sorrows in food and get yourself to where you don't think that it doesn't matter anymore. You still matter.

To 34 year old Julie: You have worked so hard to get yourself back to where you were, not just physically but mentally. You are accomplishing so much. Losing weight, getting stronger, feeling more confident in yourself. Don't allow yourself to wipe all that out because of comments from family members. Remember that you can't control what others say but you can control how you react to it. The way you reacted to it has only hurt you, not anyone else.

It's been a bumpy road over the years but I'm not giving up.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    You look better than you think you do but how about concentrating on weight training now.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't think I would want to tell a kindergarten kid anything about their weight.

I could tell my teen self to Google calories in / calories out. :p
  • tiffanynew2015
    tiffanynew2015 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Put that smore down!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I would tell my just-inducted-into-the-USAF self that the military is going to raise the weight standards 10 pounds shortly and so I should:
    1. Eat more during Basic Training despite the food being disgusting
    2. Bring better running shoes to Boot Camp
    3. Don't do the extra running on your own time because that plus all the marching in combat boots will mess up your shins and you don't actually need to lose more weight
    4. Don't lose 25 pounds during Basic Training because you don't actually need to lose anything at all and that will set you up for a lifetime of yoyoing
    5. Drink less booze during your time in the military
    6. Go scuba diving more while on Okinawa
    7. Start yoga earlier in life
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this subject this morning, in the context of what I want my kids to know: don't get out of shape in the first place, because losing body fat and getting healthy after a long period of being fat and unhealthy is much harder.

I was never overweight until I got out of active duty military and got married. My spouse, at the time, was a very unhealthy eater. The two of us adopted a lifestyle that was no exercise, lots of excessive calories, and we both ballooned.

Some simple adjustments to lifestyle could have prevented the weight gain in the first place. I used to lift weights then, before I got married. I would advise my old self to:

1) Keep strength training, only start lifting heavier, and more compound lifts.
    2) Walk every day, for 30-60 minutes. It's easy, healthy, and is a great way to clear your head.
    3) Eat until you're not hungry anymore, not until you're "full". They are very different feelings, and a lot different calorie intakes.

Stay active, eat moderately, don't get fat in the first place.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have no idea because I do not have a pre weight gain self. I was fat my entire life until my 40s.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I would say "Make a change NOW! You have no idea the sadness that is to come."
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've always been bigger, taller, always. So I don't really have a pre-fat self. It's kind of a difficult mental picture to wrap my head around, to be honest. Interesting question. I know a lot of people look at fat adults and just assume we can't put the fork down or whatever, but after major surgery at age 9 I couldn't really move for a long, long time. I would've loved to be able to get up and run the way I see people running now. So I guess I would say to my child-self, it's ok to be active in the way you can be active, and you don't have to be like everybody else, and don't let your parents' fears for you define your view of your own body's capabilities.
  • kittykaida
    kittykaida Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I...don't really know what I would tell my 5 year old self. 5 year olds are delicate, I have one right now.

Oh man I have so many body issues, where to begin...
    One thing would be... don't let guilt from others prevent you from doing what you love. Even if the people around you don't enjoy it, and will make fun of you for trying, it's not a bad thing to be healthy. It is not vain, and it is not unreasonable to like eating well. Don't listen when they make fun of you for eating like a rabbit and laugh at you when you exercise.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights.
    Invest in Apple or Microsoft.
    Don't marry him twice.
    Oh wait, is this just about weight? SNORT!