My Food Diary - Your opinions please

Options
1235»

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    No I'm not afraid of food at all, I have cheat meals and such no problem. But eating healthier foods, I'm not hungry, and it seems counter intuitive to eat more than that, simply to fill a calorie quota.

That is the problem Daniel, it isn't just to fill the calorie quota it is for health reasons. Your dietary fats are so low that your body won't be able to transport your vitamin A, E, D or K around plus lot's of other vital things that our bodies need fat for. People aren't saying it for no reason, long term health wise you need to get that protein and fat content up nearer your target amounts.

Even from a vanity point when you hit goal weight you will still be fat rather than lean if you keep your protein that low.

Your plan of 1800 is much better, just add in more fat and protein and you'll get there!

Maybe I need to get some protein powder...anyone have recommendations?
  • elcollins24
    elcollins24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Have you had WLS?

wls? like wieght loss or? If so, yeah I haven't weighed myself in a few days, but in two is weeks I lost about 15lbs...but of course a lot of that was probably water weight from lowering my sodium
    @minties82 Honestly, I have no issues with the foods that I'm eating, they do just fine and I feel like I could probably eat the (with a cheat day here and there) for a very long time. That oatmeal and peanut butter is so good, especially with the banana, and the ranch/rice/chicken dinner was pretty amazing too :]

If youre happy and you feel fine and feel like you could do this forever then just do it. Whatever is right or what every1 tells you is actually irrelevant. You will only do what you want to do. Just do it. Be happy.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    No I'm not afraid of food at all, I have cheat meals and such no problem. But eating healthier foods, I'm not hungry, and it seems counter intuitive to eat more than that, simply to fill a calorie quota.

That is the problem Daniel, it isn't just to fill the calorie quota it is for health reasons. Your dietary fats are so low that your body won't be able to transport your vitamin A, E, D or K around plus lot's of other vital things that our bodies need fat for. People aren't saying it for no reason, long term health wise you need to get that protein and fat content up nearer your target amounts.

Even from a vanity point when you hit goal weight you will still be fat rather than lean if you keep your protein that low.

Your plan of 1800 is much better, just add in more fat and protein and you'll get there!

Just add some meat to your lunch. Noms!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Have you had WLS?

wls? like wieght loss or?

Weight Loss Surgery.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    His protein is lowish but not irresponsibly so. .4 g per lb mass is still okay. I would up that just a little more--100g, at least. Then you're definitely fine. There isn't any evidence for having more than .7 g per pound of lean mass. And he hadn't got more than 150 lean pounds, for sure!

If you lift for just 25 min a day 3x per week, you'll protect your muscles from getting lost, too. :)

Be a bit careful at losing more than 3lbs a week because it puts you at higher risk for gallstones if you're obese, FYI. Last thing you want is to have to have your gallbladder removed. That said, a good rule of thumb for maximum sustainable weight loss is 1% of body mass per week.

If your actual weightloss is quite a bit off from what's predicted by your numbers, I'd watch out for undercounting. (Was that the world's smallest sweet potato of exactly 50g? A super tiny banana of exactly 100g?)

You NEED to keep fats at at least 10%. Fats at 30% are perfectly healthy and usually help with satiation...which clearly isn't a problem. So the level of fats would be unsustainable for someone who's hungry all the time. I didn't watch my fats yesterday, and it didn't bother me...until suddenly I wanted to gnaw off my own leg and eat it. LOL!

So there is no medical/nutritional reason that you have to have much more fats than you do now. 9*31=279 calories from fat.
  • AspenDan
    Options

yarwell wrote: »
    Have you had WLS?

wls? like wieght loss or?

Weight Loss Surgery.
    No..

Orphia wrote: »

Just add some meat to your lunch. Noms!

Will do!

His protein is lowish but not irresponsibly so. .4 g per lb mass is still okay. I would up that just a little more--100g, at least. Then you're definitely fine. He hadn't got more than 130 lean pounds, for sure! If you lift for just 25 min a day 3x per week, you'll protect your muscles from getting lost, too. :)

Be a bit careful at losing more than 3lbs a week because it puts you at higher risk for gallstones if you're obese, FYI. Last thing you want is to have to have your gallbladder removed.
    Ok I'll look into getting a gym membership, thanks for the advice!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Guys, people who HAVE had WLS eat 1200 cal a day, and all of their health markers improve. Why is it so terrible that he's eating 1200-1600 (if he is) if he's honestly full? What's wrong with weight loss similar to minor WLS? Clearly people are getting it all the time and having positive results, so why castigate him over it?

He can transition to maintenance once he bounced into the upper range of a healthy weight by slowing his diet. His level of weight loss will naturally slow then, anyway. He's over 100 pounds overweight, at the edge of the morbid obesity range. Once he hits 185, he can up his calories by 100 calories a day per week until he hits maintenance and recomp. As he does that, he might lose another 5-10lbs. His weight would STILL be at the high end of normal.

I do not understand why he's getting the hate, and I can see nothing but possible gallbladder complications that will cause an issue here. Adherence is normally the issue with low cal. If he's not hungry, it won't be a problem.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Yay! You might find that you really enjoy it. Get someone to really properly show you how to use the strength training equipment so you can work on preserving your muscle. You seem like the kind of person who might fall in love with the challenge of constantly increasing the weight you can lift.

As for protein powders, there are so many on the market, and the markets are different in each country. My favourite one at the minute is Bulk Powders Whey Isolate 90, for price, calories and protein content. But just make sure you get one that has a decent amount of protein - I go for at least 25g per serving. Also, Quest bars are amazing. Seriously. Look around and see if somewhere online sells them short dated - I rarely pay more than half price for mine, and that works out as cheap as, or cheaper than meat.

• AspenDan
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Guys, people who HAVE had WLS eat 1200 cal a day, and all of their health markers improve. Why is it so terrible that he's eating 1200-1600 (if he is) if he's honestly full? What's wrong with weight loss similar to minor WLS? Clearly people are getting it all the time and having positive results, so why castigate him over it?

He can transition to maintenance once he bounced into the upper range of a healthy weight by slowing his diet. His level of weight loss will naturally slow then, anyway. He's over 100 pounds overweight, at the edge of the morbid obesity range. Once he hits 185, he can up his calories by 100 calories a day per week until he hits maintenance and recomp. As he does that, he might lose another 5-10lbs. His weight would STILL be at the high end of normal.

I do not understand why he's getting the hate, and I can see nothing but possible gallbladder complications that will cause an issue here. Adherence is normally the issue with low cal. If he's not hungry, it won't be a problem.
    Pootler74 wrote: »

Yay! You might find that you really enjoy it. Get someone to really properly show you how to use the strength training equipment so you can work on preserving your muscle. You seem like the kind of person who might fall in love with the challenge of constantly increasing the weight you can lift.

As for protein powders, there are so many on the market, and the markets are different in each country. My favourite one at the minute is Bulk Powders Whey Isolate 90, for price, calories and protein content. But just make sure you get one that has a decent amount of protein - I go for at least 25g per serving. Also, Quest bars are amazing. Seriously. Look around and see if somewhere online sells them short dated - I rarely pay more than half price for mine, and that works out as cheap as, or cheaper than meat.

Lol I wasn't hoping for everyone to lavish me in compliments for my post, but I also wasn't expecting the condescension that seemed to come from what my health noobness..These posts were a breath of fresh air. Anyway, I'm gonna try to get close to 1800cals, and start lifting...thanks for all the advise, ppls
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

He can transition to maintenance once he bouncing into the upper range of a healthy weight by slowing his diet once he dips below overweight. His level of weight loss will naturally slow then, anyway. He's over 100 pounds overweight, at the edge of the morbid obesity range. Once he hits 185, he can up his calories by 100 calories a day per week until he hits maintenance and recomp. As he does that, he might lose another 5-10lbs. His weight would STILL be at the high end of normal.

People who have WLS initially eat a small amount with supplements and monitoring and build up to eating more with supplements and slightly less monitoring

He is 310lbs ..he is logging under the nutritional minimum and his macros were initially well out of whack

And every time people say no big deal they reinforce the fact that this is most likely a quick step to crashing and burning whereas a reasonable approach would result in a better goal body composition

The research you're quoting on gallstones was in morbidly obese patients over 70% developed gallstones at a rate of 3.3lbs per week or over

Gallstones are not the only thing at issue ...LBM has been covered off then there's the standard issues of inadequate nutrition: fatigues, nail, hair, skin issues and long term issues etc etc

He came in saying he was naive and didn't understand...we are trying to help him understand not support him on a path that "seems ok cos the weight is falling off and I don't feel hungry"

You are as entitled your opinion as anyone and I'm entitled to think you're most likely wrong ...he has major scope to make minor adjustments and healthily and easily reach his goal body without taking drastic actions that may start off a lifelong battle with yo-yo diets
  • AspenDan
    edited June 2015
    Options

You are as entitled your opinion as anyone and I'm entitled to think you're most likely wrong ...he has major scope to make minor adjustments and healthily and easily reach his goal body without taking drastic actions that may start off a lifelong battle with yo-yo diets

Eh, I'm 27 and never been on a "diet"...I'm eating healthier now, like trying to avoid things with a lot of sugars, eating more veggies (as opposed to the 0 I was before). I'm not even "calorie counting", the fact that I eat low calories is simply because staying away from the processed stuff is causing me to be much more full on fewer calories.. And I plan to eat healthier like this for the rest of my life..if i start to starve myself or become malnourished, my body will make me crave things, and I'll eat them within reason.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options

He can transition to maintenance once he bouncing into the upper range of a healthy weight by slowing his diet once he dips below overweight. His level of weight loss will naturally slow then, anyway. He's over 100 pounds overweight, at the edge of the morbid obesity range. Once he hits 185, he can up his calories by 100 calories a day per week until he hits maintenance and recomp. As he does that, he might lose another 5-10lbs. His weight would STILL be at the high end of normal.

People who have WLS initially eat a small amount with supplements and monitoring and build up to eating more with supplements and slightly less monitoring

He is 310lbs ..he is logging under the nutritional minimum and his macros were initially well out of whack

And every time people say no big deal they reinforce the fact that this is most likely a quick step to crashing and burning whereas a reasonable approach would result

The research you're quoting on gallstones was in morbidly obese patients over 70% developed gallstones at a rate of 3.3lbs per week or over

Gallstones are not the only thing at issue ...LBM has been covered off then there's the standard issues of inadequate nutrition: fatigues, nail, hair, skin issues and long term issues etc etc

He came in saying he was naive and didn't understand...we are trying to help him understand not support him on a path that "seems ok cos the weight is falling off and I don't feel hungry"

Why are his macros out of whack? The Ornish diet is a valid and healthy diet at 10% fat. He's getting nearly TWICE that!

.45 grams of protein per pound is enough to sustain the lean mass of bodybuilders. Dude is not a bodybuilder, but that should be more than enough. 150lbs lean mass is probably grossly overstating his stats at the moment (sorry, dude :)) which means that his 93g is way more than the 67.5g probably needed--and 105g (.7/lb) would be as much as his body could possibly use right now.

Because he's (well) above 1200 calories, he's above the minimums for men. People his size are put on 800 cal diets (with supplements there).

Yo-yo dieting is usually a cycle of bingeing and punishment. He doesn't seem to have the attitude that he's punishing his body or that he's sprinting toward some goal as fast as he possibly can in order to go back to eating the way he has been.

I'm kinda baffled by a number of people here. I'm TERRIBLE for eating a 1200 calorie-ISH diet because I'm too close to my goal weight. He's just as bad for eating a 1300-1500 calorie-ISH diet because he's too big. Who exactly should be eating this amount, given that it's in the safe range for both men and women?

My first two pregnancies, I shed weight very quickly after the babies. VERY quickly. With my second, I was back in my regular pants in a month, back to my pre-pregnancy weight in two. And it was pretty painless and I went straight into maintenance without a thought--and maintained for years. (I got chubby briefly again--about up to where I am now--while remodeling the house once because I wasn't paying attention and was wearing stretchy pants, but I lost it again as soon as I realized. Another time, I quit a major active hobby and gained nearly 10lb, then lost it by changing exercise regimes.) There's nothing that makes a transition from losing to maintenance inherently difficult. There really isn't.

If he's used to eating really calorie-packed meals, the volume of food at 1500 calories when you choose less dense stuff can be very surprising and filling. If it is, then fine.

The ONLY thing I'd be seriously concerned about is the gallbladder.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

And every time people say no big deal they reinforce the fact that this is most likely a quick step to crashing and burning whereas a reasonable approach would result

Why are his macros out of whack? The Ornish diet is a valid and healthy diet at 10% fat. He's getting nearly TWICE that!

.45 grams of protein per pound is enough to sustain the lean mass of bodybuilders. Dude is not a bodybuilder, but that should be more than enough. 150lbs lean mass is probably grossly overstating his stats at the moment (sorry, dude :)) which means that his 93g is way more than the 67.5g probably needed--and 105g (.7/lb) would be as much as his body could possibly use right now.

Because he's (well) above 1200 calories, he's above the minimums for men. People his size are put on 800 cal diets (with supplements there).

Yo-yo dieting is usually a cycle of bingeing and punishment. He doesn't seem to have the attitude that he's punishing his body or that he's sprinting toward some goal as fast as he possibly can in order to go back to eating the way he has been.

I'm kinda baffled by a number of people here. I'm TERRIBLE for eating a 1200 calorie-ISH diet because I'm too close to my goal weight. He's just as bad for eating a 1300-1500 calorie-ISH diet because he's too big. Who exactly should be eating this amount, given that it's in the safe range for both men and women?

My first two pregnancies, I shed weight very quickly after the babies. VERY quickly. With my second, I was back in my regular pants in a month, back to my pre-pregnancy weight in two. And it was pretty painless and I went straight into maintenance without a thought--and maintained for years. (I got chubby briefly again--about up to where I am now--while remodeling the house once because I wasn't paying attention and was wearing stretchy pants, but I lost it again as soon as I realized. Another time, I quit a major active hobby and gained nearly 10lb, then lost it by changing exercise regimes.) There's nothing that makes a transition from losing to maintenance inherently difficult. There really isn't.

If he's used to eating really calorie-packed meals, the volume of food at 1500 calories when you choose less dense stuff can be very surprising and filling. If it is, then fine.

The ONLY thing I'd be seriously concerned about is the gallbladder.

When you eat in a defecit the scale weight you lose is a mixture of water, fat and LBM. The best advice to preserve your LBM as you lose weight is to follow a progressive lifting programme and to eat sufficient protein for muscle and tissue repair and to support your body. As he's in defecit it is more important not less

He has already bumped his protein consumption which is good

Only protein and fats should be viewed as minimums ...see threads ad nauseum for the science / research

The Minimum for men is 1500 not 1200 calories
  • organizedrxhck
    organizedrxhck Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is how we learn. Ask questions and get answers modify our actions and continue forward.