the myth, starvation mode, and dont eat before bed.

Options
This is something that bothers me big time, when people make decisions without really thinking about them. Just because "someone says so" including myself. I am not here trying to tell anyone what to do, I am just providing information from what makes sense to me. If you look at a theory from different angles, all theories contradict each other. So how do we know which theories or ideas are best? We apply them and see how they work for us.

I think most myths arises due to the fact people jump to conclusions without all the puzzle pieces. I think this is how the theory came in to place.

1. Starvation mode - I used to believe this theory, you know what happened? I got fatter. The theory is, if you don't eat enough calories, your metabolism will slow down, because your body doesn't know when it will eat again, so it turns everything in to fat, because fat is the primary fuel for humans.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
What happens if you don't eat enough to maintain your current body weight? Your body has to adjust to a lower caloric level, stripping the body of muscle, since you don't have enough calories to maintain the muscle it will disappear. What happens when you have lower levels of muscle mass??? you burn less calories. If you maintain that caloric intake, you'll be fine, if you increase your calories higher(for example you went on a crash diet, now resume your old caloric intake) you will store fat like crazy, due to the fact you don't have the muscle mass to burn enough calories like before, so you'll get fatter than when you first started.

Eating at low caloric levels are very beneficial to weight loss, IF you know how to do it properly. For example eating very little one day, and over eating the next. When you don't eat, what happens to your body, what is hunger from a biological perspective? It's just a form of bodily stress. Imagine the cavemen back in the day, food was scares often. When you're hungry you're in the "fight or flight" mode... What does this do? Increase adrenaline levels, increase body responses, makes you more focused, and on top of that... it also increase GH levels (growth hormone) which is a very powerful biochemical which burns fat and preserves muscle tissue. Does it make sense that when you're hungry, get rid of the most essential part of your body muscle mass??? NO. It does its best to preserve it when you're hungry. Being hungry also increases IGF-1(Insulin Like Growth Factor - 1) receptors in the body. So your body is more prone to muscle growth, with the GH??? That is the supreme steroid stack used by professional body builders, we're doing the same thing, but with our diet instead of artificial drugs. IGF-1 is found in mothers breast milk, that's why babies grow so fast.

Back to the cavemen, where human biology began. You think back in the day cavemen where eating 6 times a day? They couldn't even if they wanted to. When food is scares they barely ate, if they ate at all, then when they got a hunt, they would pig out. Ever consider this is how our bodies work? You think a hunter is going to go and hunt after a huge breakfast? Myth: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Humans are designed to eat a big meal at night. Why you think most parties are designed around dinner, gatherings at dinner time. Compared to breakfast... I don't ever remember hearing "we're having a breakfast party. Like i already mentioned when we don't eat it triggers the sympathetic nervous system(fight or flight response), which is very good to have during the day. More focus, better alertness, more responsiveness. You know what happens when you eat... it triggers the parasympathetic nervous system, the PNS, you know what this is responsible for? It's responsible for rest and recuperation. So when you eat, your body slows down, you get tired, groggy, because your body is recuperating... Do you think as humans we need to do this 6 times a day??(6 meals a day)??? NO, that's just ludicrous At what point do you want to be TIRED, and feel at easy and relax? during the day or at night? the answer is obvious. The best time to eat is AT NIGHT.. When does the body repair itself the most? during sleep, does it make sense not to eat at night, not providing your body with vital recovery protein, carbs, nutrients critical for muscle growth? Obviously not. I don't advise playing with these methods without proper education on how to apply them.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Replies

• 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    AT LAST!!! Someone who can verbalise (well...type) what I've been saying and knowing....Starvation mode - PLEASE...not one of us on here are STARVING!!! Well said I hope people out there listen to you!!:smile:
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Mostly I agree with what you have said. Whilst I don't wish to engage in yet another debate about 'starvation mode' I personally think that it is a pile of nonsense, I 'ate back' exercise calories and I gained weight. The further I go on this journey the more I learn and from reading I have begun to understand more about hormone levels and leptin and bodily responses to food etc.

I also agree with challenging the 'myth' about breakfast being the most important meal of the day - it isn't. That was an idea created by breakfast cereal companies to boost sales of their sugar filled cereals. Actually, periods of time without food can be good for the body (google intermittent fasting if you need more info).

Again, as you've said I'm not suggesting that anyone try any of these things without first properly researching but it is important that people realise that there are other view points.

Finally, whilst I do agree to some extent about eating often and it slowing you down I'd like to suggest that it's maybe what is eaten that can cause this. I have found that eating lots of processed carbs and sugar definitely creates that sluggish feeling BUT if you eat more natural foods (fruit, veg etc) and some protein you are far less likely to feel this way.

Thanks for a great post.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I live by the rule of eating at LEAST 1200 net calories a day, and it's been working wonderfully for me. :)
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I wish there were a like button.
  • NukeMomma
    NukeMomma Posts: 2
    Options
    Humans have evolved biologically since caveman days. A healthy breakfast is important. I think your opinion is poorly constructed, sorry.
  • bjscmg
    bjscmg Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm with ya on the eating breakfast....I rarely eat it and I am doing just fine!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

You said:
    1. Starvation mode .... The theory is, if you don't eat enough calories, your metabolism will slow down,

Which you claim is a myth.

And then said:
    Does it make sense that when you're hungry, get rid of the most essential part of your body muscle mass??? NO. It does its best to preserve it when you're hungry.

That seems to be a pretty clear statement that you believe that extreme calorie restriction will not decrease muscle mass.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I agree that an evening meal should be the largest, absolutely. A sign of a healthy person typically means they are hungriest at night time. BUT as to the 'myth of starvation mode' I disagree and I believe most nutritionists and dietitians would as well. My nutritionist certainly does. Starvation mode does exist and their absolutely is such a thing as eating too little calories. Human beings are biologically created to gain weight, not lose it. Cavemen did have low calorie diets because of the scare food supply and the fact they had to search and hunt, this is true, but they were also programmed to gain weight. Their bodies would store as much as possible, to get through harsh winters etc. Yes, eating a LOW calorie diet is an important factor in losing weight, but if you decrease your caloric intake to more than 50% of your BMR, your metabolism will decrease by up to 40%, and it is unsustainable. I recommend this article. http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742. So no, starvation mode is not as bad as a lot of the MFP members seem to think, but it still does exist and can have mild and serious side effects. I did a starvation diet, lost a lot of weight at first, but then plateaued. After increasing my calories, I CONSISTENTLY lose weight each week and don't feel hungry all of the time. It also just makes things seem much more reasonable and based on an average weekly pound loss, the weight is coming off quicker. I applied the 'theory' of starvation mode to my own life by avoiding it, and have had much better results, and I have the blood work and muscle tone to prove it!
  • registers
    Options
    a
  • registers
    Options
    Okay, obviously some people aren't reading this very carefully. Low caloric intake "OVER TIME" does decreasing muscle mass, never said It didn't. About the "studies" i am not going to go and paste the studies of over 14yrs of experience. Why do you need scientific studies to tell you something. For example, If you eat a lot, do you get tired of energized??? if a scientific study says "it energizes the body" are you going to believe it? Does it make sense being hungry is stress? Does it make sense that your body recuperates and repairs itself at night? DOes it make sense that, when you're hungry your body isn't processing food and you have more energy??? I don't need scientific studies to tell me anything. I go by personal experience, not someone who has been "taught" to read books, and believe them, just because "someone said so"
  • caldolphingirlie
    Options
    Although you make a good point about the starvation method it is important to note that if you eat to little calories your body will not have the energy it needs to function normally. When your body doesn't have enough energy it sucks it from your muscles, which does in fact cause you to seemingly loose weight at first, because muscle weighs more than fat, then gain more back because you do need muscles to burn calories, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn when you are at rest as well as working your body. The key is to find a balance between what you are putting in as well as out. Also the reason why people say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, is because while you are sleeping your body is using all of the glycogen that your body has stored from your last meal to heal and repair your muscles and body. When you wake up your glycogen levels (or sugar/ energy stores) are all used up. Your body needs you to eat in the morning so that you can replenish these stores so that your muscles can function at a proper level. Remember that your brain is also a muscle, in fact, its one of the biggest muscles in our bodies. If you fail to eat breakfast you are in a way handicapping your performance for the day. I learned most of this from a Nutrition class I took in college and the text book, but there is also tons of scientific support for this on the web as well. You can find it in google scholar.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    Apparently cavemen weren't Diabetic.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I agree that an evening meal should be the largest, absolutely. A sign of a healthy person typically means they are hungriest at night time. BUT as to the 'myth of starvation mode' I disagree and I believe most nutritionists and dietitians would as well. My nutritionist certainly does. Starvation mode does exist and their absolutely is such a thing as eating too little calories. Human beings are biologically created to gain weight, not lose it. Cavemen did have low calorie diets because of the scare food supply and the fact they had to search and hunt, this is true, but they were also programmed to gain weight. Their bodies would store as much as possible, to get through harsh winters etc. Yes, eating a LOW calorie diet is an important factor in losing weight, but if you decrease your caloric intake to more than 50% of your BMR, your metabolism will decrease by up to 40%, and it is unsustainable. I recommend this article. http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742. So no, starvation mode is not as bad as a lot of the MFP members seem to think, but it still does exist and can have mild and serious side effects. I did a starvation diet, lost a lot of weight at first, but then plateaued. After increasing my calories, I CONSISTENTLY lose weight each week and don't feel hungry all of the time. It also just makes things seem much more reasonable and based on an average weekly pound loss, the weight is coming off quicker. I applied the 'theory' of starvation mode to my own life by avoiding it, and have had much better results, and I have the blood work and muscle tone to prove it!

Well said hun.

I always lose weight when I eat more as well. And I mean...MORE.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I also think its important to understand how your own body works and also the differences between men and women.

I agree I don't think any of us are starving!

I know that if I eat a big breakfast in the morning I am starving for the rest of the day. If I eat a big meal at night - I don't feel hungry in the morning!!

Part of this journey is understanding our own bodies and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for someone else!

VLCD are now being encouraged by some GP's in the UK to reduce weight - as they are seen as less life threatening than being morbidly obese (these diets are closely monitored.) I know two people that have had to go on one of these diets and both have lost significant weight and then put on muscle mass (after they lost the weight they slowly increased both calorie intake and exercise! Yet in theory they have been in starvation mode. The issue I think there is with this approach is actually it doesn't teach you how to eat healthily and thats why we put the weight back on.

I do think there is this condition but I think it takes a while before it kicks in.

Interesting debate as ever!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Okay, obviously some people aren't reading this very carefully. Low caloric intake "OVER TIME" does decreasing muscle mass, never said It didn't. About the "studies" i am not going to go and paste the studies of over 14yrs of experience. Why do you need scientific studies to tell you something. For example, If you eat a lot, do you get tired of energized??? if a scientific study says "it energizes the body" are you going to believe it? Does it make sense being hungry is stress? Does it make sense that your body recuperates and repairs itself at night? DOes it make sense that, when you're hungry your body isn't processing food and you have more energy??? I don't need scientific studies to tell me anything. I go by personal experience, not someone who has been "taught" to read books, and believe them, just because "someone said so"

Don't worry, I read it very carefully. :wink: And if you want experience, I know that I was in starvation mode for quite a while.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

I experienced it. So...does that mean you believe in it now? Since I've given you a personal experience? I'm guessing not. The point being, we're talking about biology, anatomy, chemical/hormonal reactions and science. It's hardly unreasonable to be interested in direct evidence that shows that what you're claiming is backed up by science.

BTW, I'll agree that there's nothing wrong with eating at night. Though I would disagree with taking in the majority of your calories at night. I suppose IF (intermittent fasting) does work for some people, it is not sustainable for the vast majority.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Kind of funny how you will have many folks saying you have the correct answers for weight loss and just as many saying everything you argue against is the correct ways of weight loss...

Maybe it is plain and simple... To lose weight you eat less calories than you use. It is all in how each individual wants to do it. If some folks want to consistently eat a severely restrictive diet and are ok with losing lean muscle mass along with fat I say go for it. Me personally, I think I will stick to eating often and lots of variety.
  • bjscmg
    bjscmg Posts: 77
    Options
    Although you make a good point about the starvation method it is important to note that if you eat to little calories your body will not have the energy it needs to function normally. When your body doesn't have enough energy it sucks it from your muscles, which does in fact cause you to seemingly loose weight at first, because muscle weighs more than fat, then gain more back because you do need muscles to burn calories, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn when you are at rest as well as working your body. The key is to find a balance between what you are putting in as well as out. Also the reason why people say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, is because while you are sleeping your body is using all of the glycogen that your body has stored from your last meal to heal and repair your muscles and body. When you wake up your glycogen levels (or sugar/ energy stores) are all used up. Your body needs you to eat in the morning so that you can replenish these stores so that your muscles can function at a proper level. Remember that your brain is also a muscle, in fact, its one of the biggest muscles in our bodies. If you fail to eat breakfast you are in a way handicapping your performance for the day. I learned most of this from a Nutrition class I took in college and the text book, but there is also tons of scientific support for this on the web as well. You can find it in google scholar.

Well sheesh maybe I should eat breakfast.....I sometimes put my shoes on the wrong feet and forgot my kids names WAIT what is this about again? LOL no seriously I hate breakfast so I eat an early lunch instead.