Protein Bars

Options
I haven't tried any protein bars. What are the good tasting ones with the most protein?

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Quest bars.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are pretty good. Mint chocolate chip or the chocolate chip cookie are decent flavors. They can be kind of hard, so what I do it stick the bar on the dashboard of my car so it heats up.

Musclepharm white chocolate raspberry are very good as well.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    2nd for quest. The cookies and cream one currently at my desk has 21 grams of it. I'm not sure if there are some with more protein out there, I stopped my search with Quest because they are the only ones I can stand the taste of.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are awesome but expensive. I buy Pure Protein bars at Costco for about $1 a bar or less if they're on sale. They have 20g protein without all of the extra sugar and fat (about 200 calories).
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Protein from real food > Protein from powder > Homemade protein bars > Store bought protein bars
  • crystalewhite
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Protein from real food > Protein from powder > Homemade protein bars > Store bought protein bars

Agreed, but sometimes it's easier to grab a bar at the store.

• floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I'm sorry. I don't understand.

• sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options

Convenience is a factor, but if people eat conveniently (as opposed to wisely) every single day of their lives, then there is a fundamental issue with their diet. I don't want to live in a world where fresh, whole foods are almost entirely replaced with processed fast foods, with added preservatives, in plastic wrappers, for triple the cost and less flavor.

I'm sorry. I don't understand.

Order of importance... > is the greater than sign.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Quest.

There are some utterly vile ones on the market, so... just go with Quest.

Homemade bar recipes - yes, sixxpoint, fine, but link me up to one not full of sugar? Or agave syrup? Or honey? Or peanut butter? Most recipes seem to think chucking a scoop of whey in it makes it 'healthy' when the rest of the ingredients say 'candy bar' to me.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    quest bars have the best flavor. followed by "think thin" wafer cookie bars.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Emberlain wrote: »
    Quest.

There are some utterly vile ones on the market, so... just go with Quest.

Homemade bar recipes - yes, sixxpoint, fine, but link me up to one not full of sugar? Or agave syrup? Or honey? Or peanut butter? Most recipes seem to think chucking a scoop of whey in it makes it 'healthy' when the rest of the ingredients say 'candy bar' to me.

No problem :)

Video Instructional:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja30xjHyCfI

Fiber Syrup:

http://www.amazon.com/Vitafiber-Basi.../dp/B00TIX50OQ

or

http://www.amazon.com/Fiberyum-IMO-S.../dp/B00XQMAC48

Recipes with Fiber Syrup:

http://www.fitnesstreats.com/category/recipes/recipes-made-with-vitafiber/

Protein Bar Ideas:

http://www.fitnesstreats.com/2013/10/homemade-quest-bars-using-vitafiber/
    http://www.fitnesstreats.com/2014/01/more-homemade-quest-like-protein-bars/
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I just compared the ingredients with a Quest bar S'mores flavor and a Pure Protein S'mores flavor. What I didn't like about Pure Protein is the high amount of sugar alcohols (11% compared to 6% for Quest), which bother my digestion, and the sheer number of preservatives and other mysterious ingredients in the Pure Protein bars (zinc oxide, anyone?). However, the calories and other nutritional info are fairly similar for both. And the Quest bars ARE expensive.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    think thin bars are pretty good.
  • crystalewhite
    Options

Convenience is a factor, but if people eat conveniently (as opposed to wisely) every single day of their lives, then there is a fundamental issue with their diet. I don't want to live in a world where whole foods are replaced with processed fast foods in plastic wrappers.

Absolutely! I would much rather have 'actual' food that something in bar form. These things are a lifesaver for me when I have come to work ill-prepared. I don't have too many options near that won't either blow my calorie goal or spend $20+ on lunch.
  • loganrandy69
    loganrandy69 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are good, and low carb, and can survive hot environments well - which is a downfall of a lot of bars; they can't last a workout in a backpack outside. The best tasting low carb/sugar option (by a mile) to me is Fit Crunch (by Robert Irvine). Taste is great, 15 or 30 grams of protein, but will get melty in the heat.

The best tasting non low carb I've found is either the snickers marathon or cliff builder's 20g protein, chocolate mint.

HMMV
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on protein bars for my protein source, but I always carry them with me for when I am faced with poor choices for meals (parties, weddings, away from home, etc) or like last night I went out with a friend for a glass of wine and hadn't had dinner. By the time we got to the bar the kitchen was closed and I had to eat something so I had a Luna Protein Bar from my purse. I also like Kashi bars, Chia bars, Nutrisystem bars, store brand (Meijer for me) protein bars. Yes some have more sugar then I care to have, but like I said, in a pinch they save me from poor choices and provide me with protein and nutrition.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    First and foremost - i'd choose a yummy piece of chicken breast or grilled salmon over a protein bar any day. Use as a supplement only - to supplement your diet when lacking.

I agree with quest being a top choice though they are pricey. But check out Simply Protein bars (simplyprotein.ca).

Also, know the difference between energy bars and protein bars and glorified candy bars. I can't speak for everyone but this has been my experience:
    Energy bars will have high calories, high carbs, low protein - the trailmix, luna, clif and lara bars of the world.
    Glorified candy bars have high everything - the clif builders, promax, and power bar bars
    Protein bars are high in protein, low sugar, low net-carb, 170-250 calories - quest bars, simply protein, pureprotein
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I like Quest Bars and MyProtein High Pro Bars. I use powdered protein as well, but I prefer to eat food than drink a shake and the bars are good for a quick breakfast/snack/whatever between working out in the morning and going to work :)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    make your own and refrigerate
  • loganrandy69
    loganrandy69 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Energy bars will have high calories, high carbs, low protein - the trailmix, luna, clif and lara bars of the world.
    Glorified candy bars have high everything - the clif builders, promax, and power bar bars
    Protein bars are high in protein, low sugar, low net-carb, 170-250 calories - quest bars, simply protein, pureprotein

The difference between your "protein bars" and "glorified candy bars" is artificial sweetener - often sugar alcohol. "Energy Bars" are much closer to glorified candy bars than something like a Cliff Builder's 20g Protein Bar. Close in calories but 3x the protein and half the sugar, plus other added vitamins.