What People Say Food Tastes Like v. Reality

Options
124»

Replies

• mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    fjrandol wrote: »
    At a beer tasting, the words "leather" and "wet dog" to describe one of the samples. Some of the people really liked that one too :smile: lol

Sour beer is the big thing now. Microbreweries leave a vat open to purposely get contaminated with wild yeast or whatever or add some already soured beer to a batch. The properties of fermentation don't let anything dangerous in, and the idea is that it's somewhat unpredictable and there can be some really funky overtones to it. That's where the leather and wet dog descriptions apply.

I've had a few that were pretty decent, a little sour, but not overpowering. Not something you'd drink a lot of, but one with some food can be fun. A good wet dog one can go surprisingly well with basic pub food.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most of these aren't about hating foods anyway.

I question the claim that cheese tastes like the various things I mentioned in my post upthread, but I promise I don't hate cheese.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Classic "in need of palate development" thread.

Some of these are true, however it is usually the fault of the cook or an allergy/medical condition. I don't hate any food.

Hating the taste of a food is considered a symptom of a food allergy now...? :|

No. I never said that... But if you hate something then it is likely that you've never had it prepared properly.

Do you really think it's as simple as hating something straight up that millions of other people around the world love??? It is about knowledge and culture. But some people throw that out the window for the sake of their own view of the world.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Classic "in need of palate development" thread.

Some of these are true, however it is usually the fault of the cook or an allergy/medical condition. I don't hate any food.

Lucky you. There are so many things that I wish I could like. Fish, for example. I've tried eating it in various ways (both home-cooked and in restaurants) but I just can't get over the texture/taste/smell. Canned tuna is the only thing that doesn't make me sick, and even then I slather it in mayo.

Get to know a chef... A good chef. Someone who knows what they are talking about and can back it up.

Sometimes it's about location. You can't get fresh fish in certain places. Most of the time however it's because you have someone with zero to 10% food knowledge cooking for you.

Also, canned tuna is one of the oldest fishiest tasting fish I've ever had in my entire life.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    cilantro tastes like soap, but sometimes it does!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I think that iceberg lettuce tastes like balloons. Yuck! I am sure someone else out there has had to blow up party balloons, inadvertently licked their lips, right?? Iceberg lettuce!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Wine has always baffled me. How can a liquid be dry??
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Wine is the classic example of this, but some coffee places now have equally colorful descriptions of what coffee is supposed to taste like.

A local wine and cheese, etc. place has great cheese descriptions. A couple of examples are "bourbon-raw almonds-tobacco leaf" and "clean sheets-kefir-lemon peel."

I also always like how people who dislike cilantro describe the taste of cilantro (which I love).

This is because all cilantro needs to wilt and die off this earth. Like right now.
  • bbontheb
    Options
    Also, I might get some hate but cilantro is vomit. It's like the after effects of drinking too much rye and pulling an all nighter...blech
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For some reason the realization that some people eat potatoes raw freaks me out, but I bet the test would work with kohlrabi.

Or jicama.

I've only ever had jicama raw. Do you people cook it?

Well, I was thinking of it raw as something that might work with this "hold your nose and it tastes like an apple" experiment.
    I think I've seen recipes for cooked jicama, but I've only had it raw in salads.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Funny how different everyone's preferences are. Beets aside, I have yet to encounter a plant food that I don't like. I LOVE cantaloupe, I crave all kinds of lettuce and it's not uncommon for me to grab a bell pepper and munch on it like an apple, even when I was at my highest weight. Leafy vegetables and herbs? I could live on that stuff if nothing else was available. Okra makes me drool and when my mom makes stuffed cabbage she knows to throw a few cabbage stalks in the pot for me (or whatever they're called, the hard part of the leaf that's cut out because it doesn't fold well) then I devour them before even touching the stuffed cabbage.

Steak and wine on the other hand? Not my idea of a good food time. I'm very fussy about meat and poultry. I would eat it, but only if it's prepared in a way that disguises the taste with lots of starchy carbs and/or fat, like lasagna and if anything has chicken thighs or anything with skin, forget it. I do drink socially, but I could live a lifetime without alcohol and not complain.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Many people claim that spaghetti squash tastes just like pasta. These people are incorrect.

Spaghetti squash has really grown on me but yeah, it doesn't taste like pasta at all.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Wine has always baffled me. How can a liquid be dry??

Because in wine talk it just means that it's not sweet--and specifically that the sugar has all turned to alcohol so there's no residual sugar.
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Lettuce = crunchy, dirty water
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love cilantro in fact i think it might one of my favorite tastes ever. I have tried and tried to get any hint of soap but its like the opposite... now lavender tastes a whole hell of a lot like soap
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    If you eat cilantro enough, your palate shifts from sensing soap to more of a bright floral citrus.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    icanplay3 wrote: »
    Lettuce = crunchy, dirty water

yes, yes that's it exactly (if you mean iceberg lettuce)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mike_ny wrote: »
    fjrandol wrote: »
    At a beer tasting, the words "leather" and "wet dog" to describe one of the samples. Some of the people really liked that one too :smile: lol

Sour beer is the big thing now. Microbreweries leave a vat open to purposely get contaminated with wild yeast or whatever or add some already soured beer to a batch. The properties of fermentation don't let anything dangerous in, and the idea is that it's somewhat unpredictable and there can be some really funky overtones to it. That's where the leather and wet dog descriptions apply.

I've had a few that were pretty decent, a little sour, but not overpowering. Not something you'd drink a lot of, but one with some food can be fun. A good wet dog one can go surprisingly well with basic pub food.

Heck yeah. Plus many of these bugs add really interesting flavors. Brettanomyces contributes what are often called "horsey" or "barnyard" (!) aromas. Sounds awful until you've had it in a well-crafted beer. Aromas can be perceived very differently depending on the relative level of the scent and the other aromas (bouquet) that are present.

ETA: Some sourness can be very refreshing. Consider lemonade, fr'instance. Berliner Weisse - sour, light, often flavored with fruit juice - is a world classic of beer.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I had a friend describe beets as "earthy" - I asked her, "you mean they taste like dirt?!" and she said, yeah, actually they do - lol. Why on earth would you eat them then? I guess maybe if you like the taste of dirt? Or you feel like it makes you healthier?

I tried turnips recently, those have got to be the most foul tasting vegetable ever - which is saying a lot since I eat just about any vegetable... except now turnips.

• bbontheb
    Options
    My husband used to drink Yerba Mate. He loved it and I called it "Dirt Grass" because that is what it tastes like. Yuck. I just had to ask him what that "dirt grass" stuff is that he used to drink so I could write here what it's actually called LOL.

I wonder if there is something in common with hating certain things?

Hate : Cilantro, Cantaloupe, Turnips (freaking disgusting), lamb, blue cheese, curry.

Love: Parsnips, Spinach I LOVE (always have since a kid), zukes, cukes, tomatoes, broccoli, frozen peas...mostly anything green except cilantro.

I don't understand how anyone could hate cucumber?