MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • Sho0gy_D
    Sho0gy_D Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I printed this out, I'm guilty of a couple of the things listed =(
  • keera123
    keera123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This post has just helped me so much! As I keep punishing myself for having a treat and feeling so guilty. And Also forcing myself to go and workout every day. Now after reading this I realise I am pressuring myself too much.
  • l8knut
    l8knut Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Just trying to keep this post up top for all the newbies until they make it an announcement.

If there is one thing I wish we could post at the top of every single topic it would be: Starvation Mode is a myth.

I feel so bad for all the people who are new to this and haven't figured out that they need a scale, and have to track even on cheat days. They come to the forums sad because they are not losing and some idiot tells them to eat more. If eating more made you lose weight America would have nothing but skinny people everywhere. Its not logical or supported by any science anywhere but people are desperate to find a solution that allows them to not change their way of life and still get what they want. If someone who posted on the first page has the "why I am not losing" flow chart, can you please edit your post to include the flow chart so that it will be available to people as they first look at this.

Couldn't have said it better.
  • buket1819
    buket1819 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good post :smile:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    Good post

how about you add..../ Muscle weighs more than fat.....(No, 1lb of Fat is the same of 1lb of muscle)

I've never understood this. Yes I understand density. However making a blank statement that 1kg of muscle weighs the same as 1kg of fat and therefore fat and muscle weigh the same is ridiculous. It creates the impression that everything weights the same. A kilo of feathers and a kilo of lead does weigh the same because both weigh 1 kilo, however, the volume of feathers needed to make up that kilo is FAR more than the volume of lead needed.

One cubic cm of muscle does NOT weigh the same as 1 cubic cm of fat. Therefore if one compares volume and not merely 1kg with 1kg then muscle and fat do not in fact weigh the same.

1 kg of feathers and 1 kg of lead do weigh the same. Drop them in a vacuum (or where air resistance is not a factor) and they fall at exactly the same rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo's_Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa_experiment

Kg is mass, and mass alone.
    Weight is the force on mass due to gravity.

1 kg of fat weighs the same as 1 kg of muscle. 1 kg of fat is less dense (and by definition takes more volume) than 1 kg of muscle.

Didn't you just repeat what the post above said?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    so whoever made that chart?
    because it's bloody brilliant- they deserve to be paid for that isht.

I stand correct- it was in that recent post
    @lemonlionheart
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    Good post

how about you add..../ Muscle weighs more than fat.....(No, 1lb of Fat is the same of 1lb of muscle)

I've never understood this. Yes I understand density. However making a blank statement that 1kg of muscle weighs the same as 1kg of fat and therefore fat and muscle weigh the same is ridiculous. It creates the impression that everything weights the same. A kilo of feathers and a kilo of lead does weigh the same because both weigh 1 kilo, however, the volume of feathers needed to make up that kilo is FAR more than the volume of lead needed.

One cubic cm of muscle does NOT weigh the same as 1 cubic cm of fat. Therefore if one compares volume and not merely 1kg with 1kg then muscle and fat do not in fact weigh the same.

1 kg of feathers and 1 kg of lead do weigh the same. Drop them in a vacuum (or where air resistance is not a factor) and they fall at exactly the same rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo's_Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa_experiment

Kg is mass, and mass alone.
    Weight is the force on mass due to gravity.

1 kg of fat weighs the same as 1 kg of muscle. 1 kg of fat is less dense (and by definition takes more volume) than 1 kg of muscle.

Didn't you just repeat what the post above said?

I believe I misread post I responded to as saying 1kg feathers =/= 1 kg lead...mistakes were made.
  • julzstuff26
    julzstuff26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just started using MFP 2 weeks ago and so glad I found this post! Very informative and now I know not to bother with the diet books I have and the one I was thinking about buying. Junk! Thank you! :smiley:
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Wow! this has got to be the only post I've ever seen on MFP where no one has been a wise *kitten*. Great topic. :D
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This definitely deserved a bump!
  • ArlingtonGrl
    ArlingtonGrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • tgpurplepenguin
    tgpurplepenguin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Some of these are things I'm having to unlearn as well.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yay for new posters who read the Helpful Posts!
  • brandy493
    brandy493 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    Good post

• NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post.
  • robrusleg
    robrusleg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything on this post. Awesome job! I'd like to add stuff that I've learned from multiple failed diets over the past few years:

- Detoxing is not a thing.
    - IIFYM is not the optimal diet in practice if you cannot adhere to it consistently for long periods of time.
    - Green juices will not magically burn fat. What they have going for them is that they are nutrient dense and calorically undense (is that a word?)
    - Waist trainers, bulletproof coffee, etc. are misleading and take advantage of our instant-gratification society.
    - Everyone can tell when you wear butt pads (lol)
    - Clean eating is often bashed by IIFYMers, but has its merits due to "clean" foods generally having a higher satiety value. This makes it easier to remain in a caloric deficit if your goal is to lose weight.
    - Liquid calories are often calorie-dense and do not offer as much satiety as its solid counterpart.
    - Fast foods may fit your macros, but do not keep your hunger satisfied for long.

Some of these points were huge problems for me in my diet attempts in the past. I am on a caloric deficit right now and feel that I can adhere to it very closely. My key changes was balancing my macro goals between optimal and maintainable. For example, I used to stick to 1g of protein per pound of body weight before. Now, I decreased it to roughly .75g per pound of body weight. It may not be optimal, but it has been a goal I reliably met.

Since starting my diet a month ago, I have gone from 196lbs to 183lbs. My performance at the gym has not taken any significant hit and I am not miserable as a result of having a strict diet. Flexiblility and maintainability are the cornerstones of a great diet plan.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Bump because its an awesome thread !