WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Pip, the wedding pic is beautiful! So is the poem. Made me cry.

We have discovered a serious downside to not having the van. We can't carry all three dogs to the lake in hubby's little Acura. So, we came out to the cabin, just the two of us, so hubby could mow the grass, and will go back home soon.

We took the little guy to his tball game this morning. It was such fun! None of the kids have a clue as to what they are supposed to do, and no real skills, so it's very comedic to watch. At one point, though, the "pitcher" threw the ball to Ian on first base, and he CAUGHT IT! It was so unexpected that all the spectators on both sides gasped and cheered. He seemed surprised to find it in his glove, but there it was. So, he heard all the cheering and he pulled off his little hat and waved it in the air, like he was taking a little bow. Of course, the runner was already on the base by then, but that didn't matter.

At another point when his team (purple) was up to bat, one of Ian's teammates hit the ball out into center field (the longest hit of the game) and all 10 of the players in red shirts went running after it. It was hilarious. They reminded me of chickens somehow.

If you haven't watched a tball game lately, you should go find one to watch. Great amusement.

I was feeling fine this morning. No soreness really. The kids said they were all good too, so I guess we were really lucky. I overheard Ian telling his little friends about the big crash. It sounded much more dramatic when he told it.

Well, my battery is about dead. I hope you are all having a great weekend.

Sylvia

Tball is like watching a very polite comedic routine. Some kids helping others up, others picking their noses, or asking to use the bathroom at really odd times, and ALL adults just proud to be able to witness such joy at every thing they are doing!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janet from Myrtle Beach: It is 102F and the humidity is 22%. It is HOT. :devil:

Heather: I love the picture of your DH with his twin and her DGD. :love:

JanetR from OKC: You’re doing well with your goals. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Yesterday was the last day of DH’s 50th HS class reunion. I liked the people very much. We’re planning to leave for home tomorrow morning. I’ve had a pleasant time, but I’m ready to be home. We’re inside with air conditioning and fans. The Motorhome air conditioner keeps blowing the circuit so we’ve turned it off for now and we’re cool inside DSIL’s house.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • karilou52
    karilou52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello, lovely ladies! May I join your group? I have been looking for a woman's group closer to my age, and now I’ve found yours! I don't have much skill with "threads" and "forums," but if I make a mistake, someone will set me straight, I bet!
    All through June, I continued to follow a lower-calorie diet that I started around April 15th. So far I have lost about 20 pounds, the first weight loss I have seen since I delivered my 22 year old son. I do have friends on my MFP home page, and that has made all the difference for me! Having ladies my own age to talk to will help even more, I believe. Some things a girl just doesn't want to discuss in mixed company!
    So if I need to do anything to join, please let me know! I “starred” this page so I can find it again…
    Kari in California
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good evening; welcome to everyone new!!! Share your lives, as little or much as you want, and get to know us too.

I've had the "hungries" the past few days; done OK .....BUT.... today I sent DH to store for three items........he came home with thirty, including 3 boxes of biscotti and three huge candy bars of types I liked....... and the man is diabetic. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I love him so I don't end up in jail.

Mary........Celebrate!!! The end is in sight!

drkatiebug........Yep, I know just what you mean about when the authors books start to sound alike. Glad someone else feels that way too.

If you haven't read him, I loved *ick Francis.....the D won't get by the rules here, how picky! Lovely man who wrote lovely books.

Michele........Lucky!!! I don't think we have local corn yet.

miriam and Janetr........Great pics.

Sylvia........OMG!!!! Loved the pic of the horse at the hummer feeder.

Katla........Happy you are having a good time, enjoy! Are your "ouchies" better?

Peach......((((((Hugs))))) I know the emotions of clearing out a family home. Deep breaths. Chin up.

Heather......Lovely pic of DH and sis and her granddaughter. Hope you are doing OK on own. In F. 34 equals 93.2, plenty hot, for sure. Do you have a.c.? Certainly not your usual temp!

Carey........Thanks for stopping by.........safe travels.

CKC........Welcome, love your horse pic; are they yours?

I went to work for the afternoon with DD at the barn. Had a proud moment when she was able to get a very timid horse (a gorgeous Clydesdale) to load for a move when the horse owner, the current stable owner, the other stable owner couldn't get it up the ramp.

Off to the dog park. Gemma is going ballistic; she knows what time of day it is.......HER play time.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about using MFP for pre-planning meals. Didn't realize you could do that since I'm very new to MFP and this group.

The person who introduced me to MFP taught me to use it for reaching daily macro goals (and thereby calories, since macros are set based on your daily calories). She had me enter everything I ate throughout the day, and then constantly adjust the next meal or snack to hit my daily macro totals.

Just pre-planned this coming week using very healthy meals listed in a book that I really like. Macros in the book were supposed to be 50-30-20 (C-P-F). I noticed it looked like there was a lot of added fat, even though it was small amounts. Sure enough, when I entered the exact menus in MFP, ALL of it was WAY over in Fat grams (sometimes triple). What an eye opener!

Spent a few hours adjusting everything to fit the 45-30-25% macros I'm targeting this week. But the meal plans still contain a huge amount of whole grains and much more fruit than I ever eat.

The volume of food would be a huge increase for me. Just upped my daily calories to 1000 (from the 650-800 that I've actually been eating most of the time). Definitely will NOT stuff myself trying to eat everything on the plan. Definitely looks like I need to scale back the breakfasts and lunches if I decide to follow this meal plan as a guide.

Honestly, after all the hassle of having to adjust the macros, think I'll just use my other book with pre-planned Zone friendly meals. All I have to do is open it and pick one of the meal or snack choices listed. Everything is already calculated. So all I have to do is make sure I have the foods available at home and then just measure what's listed. They even have handy lists, so I can make substitutions. For example, I don't like grapefruit, so I can look at the list of fruits which is divided up by GI, and select a different low GI fruit choice. It's MUCH EASIER to use. This eliminates the constant adjusting throughout each day--and/or when trying to pre-plan for the week ahead. This has definitely been an exercise in math futility on a daily basis for me so far. Ugh! :*

However, am glad we have the MFP tools and this forum. - Nancy in Fort Worth, TX
  • CalvaryWasForYou
    CalvaryWasForYou Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello again, ladies! Dana here, once again. I managed to drag myself to the gym along with my 19 yr old son and had an intense workout. It felt good to be back in the gym again. How I've missed it!

A little bit more about me: I was married for 26 years until my husband decided we were done and he didn't want to be married to me anymore (we both made mistakes along the way). I went from being a 21 year SAHM 'veteran' to entering the work force full-time. That was over 2 years ago and I can honestly say I'm the happiest I've been in a very long time. It was a picture taken of me just after our separation (at my highest weight of 291 lbs) that changed my life and made me want to get healthy. Every time I start feeling like I can't do this anymore, I take one look at it and then knuckle down once again. I CAN and WILL meet my goal weight!

I'm enjoying reading all your stories and look forward to getting to know you all. Welcome to the newbies! I'm right there with ya! Until later, have a lovely evening and may the week ahead be blessed for all of you.

Dana, Central Indiana
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm here... reading ....

{{{Alison}}} ... I will be right behind Pip.

Nancy from Tx .... I, too, missed some posts ... we are not perfect here and sometimes our bad days spill over to these pages ... glad to hear this forum is beneficial to you. It helps me immensely!

Rainy weekend. Got nothing done. Over-ate. Blech! Heading to bed early and starting over again tomorrow!

Beth

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Sylvia :) I'm so glad no one was hurt In the wreck! How scary for the grand kids and you! I'm sorry you're feeling "off" . Hope that it passes soon and you're back to your happy self!

Pip. :) Wow, I just don't even know what to say...beautiful poems, thank you so much for sharing them! And yes....you were a gorgeous bride, and Kirby...woo hoo!!! I love that long hair pic of him:love:.

Mary. :) I'm hoping all goes well with house!!! Sounds like you're almost completely moved! I know that has to feel good!

Alison. :) I'm so sorry for what your DH is doing to you :mad:, I wouldn't put up with that at all, you're a better woman than I am! Hugs to you!

Renny. :) Hope you stay cool with the heat wave coming through! We had 13 straight days of over 90 degrees, and 6 days over 95 degrees. Right now it's nice outside, in the 80's and no humidity....perfect! Congrats on not gaining!!

Yanniejannie. :) For some reason I've been starving all day, that is such a rare occurrence for me. I feel like a bottomless pit though. Good thing I don't have any junk in the house...I've had cottage cheese, peanut butter, an orange and cherries, and I wish I had a brownie!!! Maybe I'll make a cup of hot chocolate to satisfy that craving! Congrats to your daughter for getting the timid horse up the ramp!

It has been a gorgeous day here finally! Low 80's, no humidity, a bit breezy...just perfect! Ms. Dog and I spent a lot of time lounging on the patio this afternoon. I tried to take a nap outside, however Noel decided every time I closed my eyes to climb on me :s . My little 12 pound dog wants to sit right on my chest...it's not a pleasant feeling :laugh:!

Hope everyone has had a good weekend!!!

Welcome to everyone new! Come in often and chat away with us!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in gorgeous NC B)

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about using MFP for pre-planning meals. Didn't realize you could do that since I'm very new to MFP and this group.

The person who introduced me to MFP taught me to use it for reaching daily macro goals (and thereby calories, since macros are set based on your daily calories). She had me enter everything I ate throughout the day, and then constantly adjust the next meal or snack to hit my daily macro totals.

Just pre-planned this coming week using very healthy meals listed in a book that I really like. Macros in the book were supposed to be 50-30-20 (C-P-F). I noticed it looked like there was a lot of added fat, even though it was small amounts. Sure enough, when I entered the exact menus in MFP, ALL of it was WAY over in Fat grams (sometimes triple). What an eye opener!

Spent a few hours adjusting everything to fit the 45-30-25% macros I'm targeting this week. But the meal plans still contain a huge amount of whole grains and much more fruit than I ever eat.

The volume of food would be a huge increase for me. Just upped my daily calories to 1000 (from the 650-800 that I've actually been eating most of the time). Definitely will NOT stuff myself trying to eat everything on the plan. Definitely looks like I need to scale back the breakfasts and lunches if I decide to follow this meal plan as a guide.

Honestly, after all the hassle of having to adjust the macros, think I'll just use my other book with pre-planned Zone friendly meals. All I have to do is open it and pick one of the meal or snack choices listed. Everything is already calculated. So all I have to do is make sure I have the foods available at home and then just measure what's listed. They even have handy lists, so I can make substitutions. For example, I don't like grapefruit, so I can look at the list of fruits which is divided up by GI, and select a different low GI fruit choice. It's MUCH EASIER to use. This eliminates the constant adjusting throughout each day--and/or when trying to pre-plan for the week ahead. This has definitely been an exercise in math futility on a daily basis for me so far. Ugh! :*

However, am glad we have the MFP tools and this forum. - Nancy in Fort Worth, TX

I count calories; my granddaughter counts macros; she has put on the "Freshman 15+" off at school this year; she says she is exercising; but she tried to explain keeping up with macros. That seems more difficult and think maybe she needs to find out what caloric intake she needs to be getting and working out her menus from that. She is short, booty-butt, large thighs and she is getting depressed about it. Does anybody have any suggestions? Her step-mother who witnessed a 'melt-down' today told her not to worry about her weight and that 'if' anybody said anything to her she'd cuss them out. DnL is heavy herself and does not seem to care much (not enough to go on any diet). What would a 5'-nothing, 19-year-old need in the way of caloric intake? Eating on the run a lot - not good, says she is living off very little to be able to buy 'healthy foods'. She kept her weight down during HS because she was a cheerleader and on the dance team.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    Options
    Having a restless night, so I've just popped downstairs for a moment. My hip is a bit achy and I can't settle.

Katla - so glad your DH had a good time and you've enjoyed your trip. :flowerforyou: It's good to have a break away now and then, but it sounds SUPER hot where you are. We are expecting heat here from Tuesday and we don't have AC. :ohwell: I do have a fan that I use in the gym so may drag that around with me. Yanniejannie - it would be unusual to have AC over here, apart from offices and restaurants etc. In London I often wished I had it, but in the countryside the nights are cooler. I know it will be trying next week.

Kim - I have enough prawns for me for lunch when DH is at cricket today, so I will indulge once more in a garlic and chilli fest. :laugh: I also have a pack of grilled artichokes that I can't wait to break into. The lamb curry was delicious and I have enough left for tonight's dinner. :love:

Ok folks, I will have a small glass of milk and another pain killer and go back to bed. :ohwell:

Love to you all. I need you to help me be good today.

Heather UK in the dead of night.

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Afternoon everyone....

I see I missed yesterday afternoon. We were at a wedding and didn't get home until 2 a.m. , brought granddaughter home with us. Some really nice person (NOT) called at 7:30 a.m. Thank goodness DGD slept through that - she danced up a storm as much as any 23 month old would and she was pooped. Little darling woke up giggling... had eggs and toast with honey on it thanks to grandpa.

I did make my 10,000 steps yesterday though ...YEAH..

Today, well... got some steps in before DGD left. Then went outside and said I would spend 30 minutes weeding garden and ended up out there an hour an half. I think that was longer than my sunscreen was good for. +33 Celsius today and a wind. so I am inside now drinking more water. Then going downstairs to walk to Leslie Sansone and on my mini trampoline so that I get my 10K again today.

Pip - beautiful pictures - you exude joy and happiness.

Lisa - beautiful dress.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend....

Lillian in Scorching West Central Saskatchewan
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. Not feeling well today; I think maybe I got over heated and too dry outside doing yard work all day so I'll just say that I'm cheering you all on!

Alison: when I clicked on the last page I saw someone tell you they were glad you told (?) hubby he hurt your feelings. GOOD for YOU! I'm proud of you.

Take care all Meg from Omaha where it is definitely summer time!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a Total Cardio Burn DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some yoga, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Lenora
    - I am so so bad about checking my phone for message. A friend called and invited me to a party "this Saturday". By the time I got the message, I said "what Saturday". Actually, it had passed, but that's how horrible I am about checking my messages. I always tell someone that they're better off calling me at home and leaving a message. For some reason, the dentist ALWAYS calls on my cell phone. Really, the only time I'm talking on the phone while driving is when we're driving to FL, it's usually with Vince to coordinate where we'll stop for gas/food. CRS right now. I know GRITS is an acronym for Girls Raised in the South, but for the life of me I can remember what SLUTS is the acronym for. Sure hope those shark attacks diminish so you can take gd's to the beach. I bet this has impacted the tourist trade at the beaches.

Mary from MN
    - when we first moved to NC, I honestly didn't realize that the strawberries come into season so much faster than when we were in PA. By the time I thought they'd be in season, they were already out of season here. Oh well..... corn is coming in now. We had a cold font come thru yesterday, but only a little drizzle of rain. If the weather comes from the west (which it usually does), when it hits the mountains, it breaks up. By the time it reforms, it has already passed us. Which is why the Winston-Salem area will get worse weather than we will. We do get it if the weather comes up from the Gulf, tho.

JanetMMc
    - you've been measuring so you're probably pretty close (if not right on) with your guesstimates.

Joyce - every once in a while (actually, it hasn't happened lately) I'd suddenly get this voice here at MFP telling me that I needed to call their tech support -- which I never did. If ever we're without power for an extended period of time, we do have a phone that you can plug into the wall. Actually, I think it might be the rotary dial one that I had before we got married, still an old MaBell one. But it works. That place with the trampolines sounds really neat. Unfortunately, we don't have anything like that here.

Sharon - welcome! You and pip will have a lot in common. When you say you follow a plant based diet, do you mean vegetarian? Good start to losing

runaround
    - you joined by posting. Bookmark this site so you can come back often.

janetr
    - what a way to be woken up! Thank goodness the officer has only minor injuries. Don't you just hate it when the pool at the gym is closed?

eava - welcome and welcome to the land of plateaus. We all break them EVENTUALLY, so don't give up hope

Dana - welcome! We're so glad to have ya. Pop in whenever you can. That's one of the beauties of this forum ... it's always open, day or night, 24/7. you have such lovely eyes. I would never in a million years have guessed that you were 291 at the time of this pic, your face certainly doesn't look like it

Kim - how wonderful that you got the money!!!

Carey - safe travels. Can't wait to hear all about your trip

Nancy - welcome back. I always have to have something, anything, on my stomach before I can even begin to exercise. Sometimes afterwards I can have breakfast, but I absolutely need something in my stomach. CRS right now....I don't remember what it was that you were looking for suggestions for. I'm sorry :(

Lisa - how cool that you had that tiara!

We blew up my float and exercise ball, then I went in the pool. Right now I'm microwaving a sweet potato for me for during the week and a baked potato for Vince (heaven forbid I even consider giving him a sweet potato!) Did my exercises in the pool twice since I know that I won't be able to do them tomorrow. Vince wants to leave early for senior bowling so he can go to the Post office, the ATM, then we need to make a deposit for Newcomers. Maybe when we get back, depending on the time, I can go in the pool a little bit.

Alison - (((BIG HUG))). You don't deserve being spoken to that way, no one does. You can tell Tom for me that someone can be thin and unhealthy. By the same token someone can be fat but be healthy. Size is NOT an indicator of a person's health. And anyone who thinks that it is is totally wrong.

terri
    - sounds like a wonderful concert and you really enjoyed yourself.

Renny - you have every right to be proud of your son, I know I am and he isn't even my son!

pip - I have those days (too often to even mention) when I really and truly don't feel like going to exercise but I do. Every once in a while I take a break and don't exercise for the day. On those days, I actually miss it! I really don't like to go faster than 5mph and even at that speed only for a short period of time. I just worry about the impact, but that's just me. I've always heard that you should use at least an incline of 1% to simulate outdoors.

Welcome everyone new!

kari - what you need to do is come back and often...lol

yanniejannie - good for your daughter getting that horse to move! she certainly has a way with the animals!

Nancy - MFP certainly opened my eyes to quite a few things.

Heather
    - NO a/c! I think I'd melt. It seems that lots of places in Europe don't have a/c. I remember when we were in Switzerland, they don't have a/c. Even when Vince was in the hospital, the hospital didn't have a/c. Feel better fast

Lillian
    - do you have a DVD for the trampoline, or do you just do your own thing?

Michele in NC
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Monday here and food at 1799, smoothy of choice is "choc cinnamon rasp" after training
    Daughter rang last night to tell Stan sorry she missed his birthday. NOT surprised after all she has to take in.
    Yesterday we drove to Latrobe, walked along river, round pig Island, and back along river to car. 11980 steps for Sunday and Blaize enjoyed his walk
    Training: Morning: JJ's Cardio kick-boxing and BFFM day 1, afternoon walk Blaize. Need to keep steps above 10,000 a day
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Janetr scary.

I went on another garden tour today. Here is a pink flamingo for Grits and sluts and a blue heron for Alison. These homes were the mansions in 1880-1910 era. I included a picture of one. I included the lion because I learned that when families paid off their mortgage they would celebrate by putting a pair of lions in front of their home. This one looks pretty darn happy.

:heart: MNMargaretwscjd6u61r2l.jpg
    3xyj9sv89b4s.jpg
    7l6k3ntvi1oh.jpg
    6ygwls6pzdfq.jpg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Miriam82c8h62lr0db.jpg
    1otyjsusb97k.jpg

Here is a picture of the milkweed in my vegetable garden and the monarch caterpillar munching away.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    Options

exermom - yes u should run on a treadmill with an incline and i have been for awhile. this time i intentionally didn't which was my break without a break. lolol
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Margaret ... I did not know that about the lions ... We have 1 lion so I guess that means we're half paid off! Which is about right....
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    trying to get a handle on this eating less. I would love to see some ideas of dinner for the family. I get tired of coming up with different ideas that fit with a good food plan.

gayle- melting in Idaho
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

bwcetc wrote: »
    Margaret ... I did not know that about the lions ... We have 1 lion so I guess that means we're half paid off! Which is about right....

Me neither! I have always heard that you paint your front door red when you get the mortgage paid off.

Interesting!