WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

the sun is shinning so nice.... checking in with everyone.

Good thing I took my breakfast with me on my trip to La Ronge. Didn't eat well and little to no movement - sit for the drive up , sit for the meeting, sit for the 5 hrs back.....So this weekend will repair the damage. Yard work to do, walk my dog... eat properly so the headache goes away!!!

Take care everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Ladies! I was and remain far behind in reading and posting but things have been a little hectic around me. I started this post yesterday and didn’t get a chance to get it on the board. Work remains crazy. BeautiControl is starting well. I feel good. The SO gave me money to do whatever I wanted with, but it had to be for me personally, and I am having a hard time making a decision of what to do with it. Have a great weekend everyone.

Janet: Incredible story. LOLOLOL!

Mia: I think it is wonderful that you figured out why you bought two candy bars and were able to put them away. Yesterday, I went out to lunch with a coworker. I ordered a fresh gyro with roasted lamb meat. When it was delivered it was absolutely smothered in tazaki sauce to the point of pretty much being inedible. The waitress told me that the owners were Greek and always served it that way. She gave me a huge German chocolate brownie as an apology. OMG! Sheesh! In prior days I would have polished that thing off right then and there. Yesterday, I was able to have her put it in a to go box and take it home. I ate ¼ of it last evening and have the rest for the coming days if the SO doesn’t polish it off. It’s not even a thought other than an acknowledgement that my lifestyle is changing.

Terri: From all that I’ve read about your son, you have done a great job of raising a man with a working filter! We have a blended family of six kids ages 47 to 13. Each of them has had a struggle with weight except the youngest. The two girls have had to work extra hard to get the weight off and keep the weight off and are both very susceptible to emotional eating and not exercising. The 30 year old boy has suffered major heart problems in the past year as well as high blood pressure and gout. At his last hospital stay he left the hospital weighing 400+ pounds. I spent his first couple of hours in his hospital bed calling friends and family asking them to please bring him something to eat. I finally had to address the family and tell them they were killing him each time they brought him food. I also had to acknowledge a couple of things including the fact that I did not promote healthy eating habits nor exercise for myself. Once they decide “they” want to do something about it they seem to accomplish their goals without too much trouble. I am hoping that my new healthy lifestyle serves as an example for each of them. My daughter seems to be proud of me and has pretty much mirrored what I do. She had a lovely time last week getting rid of clothes that were too big. She has gone from a 24W to a 16W with a goal of a 12W.

Sylvia: I could just imagine the look on your face when the DH came up with the apple! My brain is pretty screwed up when it comes to self-perception too! The SO sent my daughter to shop with me so that she could ensure I was buying the right size instead of the size I wore before I lost any weight. I still have trouble and have to try everything on before I buy it. Then I have to model them for the SO before I remove the tags. He has made me take a couple of things back because they were too big.

Mom216: You have a great Mom! My Mom is 82 and I have to come home and rest after visiting her for a weekend. It is wonderful!

Nancy: One of my conscious decisions is truth in food logging. It is hard and sometimes I feel a little down, but it does provide me with motivation for the next day. A day that you exceed your calorie intake is just one day. Do better the next day.

Allison: I’m celebrating for you! Please remember that you are worth a whole lot and remind others of the fact when they forget!

Janet: Absolutely love it! “THE SENILITY PRAYER : Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.”

Jules: I am proud of your restraint of the doughnuts.

Heather: Lots of hugs for you.

Grits: I always wanted pretty silver hair too. My mother and grandmothers had beautiful silver/white hair. Unfortunately, my silver is consistently sprinkled all over and just looks yucky. I’ll probably give it another try in a couple of years.

Heather: I don’t use salt except when I am cooking and need a pinch or two. I never pick-up the salt shaker on the table except when I have raw tomato slices. I love potato chips but have to get the brand with very little salt or they burn my lips a little. My ex-husband developed high blood pressure when we were in our 20s. I stopped using salt to encourage him but he didn’t. Now he has high blood pressure, gout, diabetes, heart disease, and kidney failure. I’m not saying his use of salt caused all of it but it was a contributor. Salt-less food does taste a little different, but if you are using fresh veggies it allows their natural flavors to shine. I really don't miss the salt and prefer not to have it.

Tere in Richmond VA
    (This was a long long post)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Vicki: A lot of times “they mean well” is an excuse for a rude remark or thoughtless behavior. :grumble:

Miriam & other newbies: Welcome. :flowerforyou:

Janet from Myrtle Beach: Cholesterol going up during weight loss is something I’ve heard of many times. When you’re losing weight, you’re burning your own fat in addition to the fat in your food. The band at this week’s concert was no improvement, and the access for handicapped people in the beer garden was nonexistent. I’m not happy with the people who are currently managing this event for the city. :noway:

Sylvia: I’ve seen the dog v cat view of who is God before. It seems so true. :laugh:

Janetr: Congratulations to you and your DGS for taking control of addictions. You are both winning! :flowerforyou:

Penny: I love that you’re enjoying he local wildlife. We have become enthusiastic animal watchers over the years. Because we live next to a river, we see all sorts of birds and small mammals. There are deer in our neighborhood, too. We have a fish dwelling in our section of river that appears to hunt swallows. We’re speculating that it is a large bass, but we can’t see it well enough to tell for sure. The homily that guests are like fish is something I often heard from my mom. :flowerforyou:

Allison: I hope you enjoy the gym. Good luck to you. Let us know whether you decide to keep your membership after the free trial. I joined a 24 hour fitness place while I was still working. I was nervous when I was there alone and I eventually came to the point that I couldn’t go due to fatigue from a tough job and nasty commute. They were staffed during the day and I’d have been happier if I could have consistently gone then. I like to exercise with others around. The place is still in business and seems to be doing well. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: When I was in an active losing mode I would occasionally go over my allowed calories so I’d climb on an exercise bike and burn the excess calories off. I loved the sense of control it gave me. I still do it from time to time. :bigsmile:

Carol: I have sympathy for you AND your mom. It is a tough situation for both you. :flowerforyou:

Tere: Congratulations to your daughter for her success, and to you for making good health a priority for yourself and setting a great example for your family. :flowerforyou:

I’m looking forward to this weekend. Today is yoga and horse riding day for me, and DS and DDIL are coming for a visit. :heart: We haven’t seen DS in months because he’s been on an assignment on the other side to the country. I’m hoping for a wonderful weekend.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    What a red letter day! I think I figured out how to post my ticker and I am very proud of it! The scale showed a loss of 0.4, so I lost my "party time weight" and a little more. Yahoo!! Next stop, cute emoticons!

I mentioined that I signed up for a couch to 5 K class. It meets at 5:30 am and I decided to "train" for exercising that early. I usually don't even start to get ready for work until 6:45 so being active @ 5:30am will be a challenge. I figured that if I get up and get on my elliptical 5 minutes earlier every morning until the class begins I should have gotten used to the early morning routine. So this morning I was on the elliptical at 6:17 am! It was also nice to get it out of the way before the heat of the day.

Haven't had time to catch up with all the posts, will do later.
    Everyone have a great day and weekend.

Chris in MA

61537771.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,556 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    morning my peepheads:

first and foremost, thanks for everyone's concern over my eyeball.

well my eye is better, this morning I put on my old contact in my left eye and I can see better. HOWEVER, I am still feeling some kinda slight scratchy feeling right now, SO, I am going to see if I can get into the eye doc today. the Wednesday appointment is to get my prescription redone on the left contact because i'm not seeing right. my appointment that i'm gonna try to get to today is my ophthalmologist to see if it did anything to my eyeball. I have this run to do tomorrow and kinda wasn't planning on riding more than I have to which is around 7miles for the day. if I can get an appointment today, i'm gonna see if I can have someone drive me and my bike home, then i'll take take the car to the doc, then drive back to work if I have time. if not, then I will have to ride home (11 miles) and pick up the car from there.

janetr - you're story was powerful, thanks for sharing and congrats to your grandson. i had my serious drug issues back in the day but was lucky enough to kick it on my own.

agnesgrey - yeah, i know what you mean, sometimes i look back at some stats and all i can say is, no wonder i'm tired.

jmkmomm - not that it matters but it's an MS bike ride, walk would be a breeze. this ride is a hilly one! i say leave your husbands panties in an uproar and leave him at home without ANY food, lunch OR dinner (just kidding, kinda)

lagopus - uh yeah, that beetroot thing? no gracias.

metalax - yeay for the weightloss!!

lhannon - can i help beat damnit up too???

katetky - i don't think i've ever had a turnup, doesn't even sound good to me. that's why i never did acid just cuz of how it sounded A C I D

lagopus - LMAO on the guest saying, i'm gonna use that !!
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Ladies,

Welcome to everyone new!

Joyce: Thanks for the explanation on geocaching...it sounds like fun! I wish there was something like that available when my boys were young.

Penny: The veggies look lovely... now I have a hankering for peas. I'll pass on the turnip! :laugh:

Heather: Is there a difference in celeriac and celery or is it just British vs Canadian vocabulary?

Vicki: Hoping you are able to manage the work stress and keep your blood pressure down.

Michele: Every time I see your handle I have to chuckle because see enermom not exermom. I visualize the energizer bunny :smile: I cannot believe how much you get accomplished in a day... I'm in awe! Enjoy that pool~!

Sylvia: I've never heard of the 321 Cake before..something to try for sure. I love your jokes.

JanetR: Thank you for sharing your story.

Lillian: It's really tough when travelling to eat well... I'll bet you're glad to be home.

Sharon - Lethbridge: Don't worry about catching up ... just jump in when you can. Have fun camping!

Metallaxi: Congrats on the loss... woohoo-022.gif

LisaH: I've thought about time of day a bit (ie moving calories earlier in the day), unfortunately I don't have that type of data recorded. Geeky... me? NAWW... giggle.gif

Kat: Pick a consistant time of day and "Just do it". Maybe associate it with something else that you do regularly...like brushing your teeth. Hope you feel better real soon.

Margaret: I'm really enjoying these quotes from your mom. Thank you for sharing them.

Cheri: Maybe hubby is afraid something will happen at work and he won't be able to get away on time. He might not want to disappoint or hinder you. Feel the love <3:)

Katla: Enjoy your weekend. A day with yoga and riding...Have fun!

In the last 2 days, I've had 3 e-books I've had holds on come up and I already have 4 checked out. I'm going to have to read like a madwomen to get through them before they expire. The Happiness Project is one of them and I was originally # 50 on the holds list. Boy, I wish I could read while I'm riding my bike. Tried that but it just slows me down I have audiobooks that I "read" which seems to work for me.

Thought for the day: Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. - Abraham Lincoln

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June (complete)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day
    3. Log all meals
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week
    (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend...Oops that's 2 things...oh darn
    W2: Lunch with a friend, going away party for co-worker... 2 more...yay!
    W3: Pedicure and manicure, Tai Chi in the park. Bingo with my Aunt, Lunch with a friend (Some not planned, but sure have been fun!)
    W4: Trip with 2 of my favourite people (mom & dad) to visit 2 more of my favourite people (Aunt & Uncle)
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Best wishes for the day,

Carey-Edmonton
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    First and foremost - yes, Pip, you can help me with DamitJanet... :wink: but only if she's being awful about cookies and cookie jars...
    smiley-violent095.gif

And second, my apologies ahead of time to the ladies in New York and South Carolina - but I had to share this, and you're the one that made me remember the joke, Pip.

The Difference Between Texas Women and Women from Anywhere Else

Three men were sitting together bragging about how they had set their new wives straight on their duties.

The first man had married a woman from New York. He bragged that he told his wife to do all the dishes and clean the house. He said it took her a couple of days, but on the third day he came home to a clean house and the dishes were all washed and put away.

The second man had married a woman from South Carolina. He bragged that he had given his wife orders that she was to do all the cleaning, dishes, and the cooking. He told the men that the first day he didn’t see any results, but by the next day it was better, and on the third day, his house was clean, the dishes were done, and he had a huge dinner on the table.

The third man had married a Texas gal. He boasted that he told her his house was to be cleaned, dishes washed, the cooking done and laundry folded. And this was all her responsibility. He said the first day he didn’t see anything and the second day he didn’t see anything but by the third day some of the swelling had gone down so he could see a little out of his left eye.

Cheers!
    Lisa from Far West Texas
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Funny Lisa! :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    SSC1958 wrote: »
    Happy Friday Ladies,
    Cheri: Maybe hubby is afraid something will happen at work and he won't be able to get away on time. He might not want to disappoint or hinder you. Feel the love <3:)

In the last 2 days, I've had 3 e-books I've had holds on come up and I already have 4 checked out. I'm going to have to read like a madwomen to get through them before they expire. The Happiness Project is one of them and I was originally # 50 on the holds list. Boy, I wish I could read while I'm riding my bike. Tried that but it just slows me down I have audiobooks that I "read" which seems to work for me.

Carey-Edmonton

Cary:I was able to get my walk in this morning AND when I got home I took the dog out for a shorter walk. There that is done! When Hubby comes home it will be a BONUS walk. His concern is more that I will give up on my fitness journey so he doesn't want me using his availability as an excuse not to eat well and not to exercise. Maybe after 200 days of logging he will "trust" my commitment this time. I totally understand where his mindset is coming from as I have "quit" many, many, many times in the past 30+ years. NOT THIS TIME!!!

Don't you just find it frustrating when all the books you've reserved come in at one time. Happens to me all the time! I am a avid reader and usually have an audio book on my phone for walking, an e-book on my tablet and a real book or two going at one time!

Have a good one!

Cheri
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yay Cheri... have fun on that extra walk. smiley-gen127.gif
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely friends. It is so gorgeous here today. I have a couple of errands to run then plan to spend a ton of time in the yard, then back to deep cleaning. I didn’t get to tell you that DD#2’s best friend from the Russian orphanage is in town for a visit and that has been fun for her.

So sad about Charleston. What on earth is wrong with people today? I do have to agree with the Pres that no other 1st world country has these types of mass murders/shooting sprees on a regular basis. Not sure what answer would be acceptable to all though.

Janet: the new computer is a mess LOL but I’ll get it figured out after much cursing, I’m sure!

Sylvia: stay safe in the storms!

Janetr: what a wonderful story; your son is a wise man!

Lori: good for you to remain calm and cool! I could use some lessons on that!

Agnes: you are new to me so I will say welcome Love the kitty pic

Dani: are you drying out down there?

Dee: welcome aboard. How is the drought situation there?

Joyce: so glad to hear hubby is more positive about the meds. It probably did take him noticing how life is a bit
    better now! I don’t get the control factor though! I wouldn’t miss Thanksgiving dinner for anything!

Penni: your wildlife sounds amazing!

Alison: what possessed you to get up so early?

Metallax: congrats!

Lhannon: good luck getting that appetite under control. I find snacking on almonds is helpful; they are filling
    (protein) and heart healthy

DeeDee: yes you should get some rest and me time in! I agree with lagopus!

Lagopus; well said!

Kat; are you feeling better now? I need to be much better about logging daily too

Carol: I think you may be right about the depression; my parents were of that generation and they too hoarded. Once I asked about it and the answer was “you never know when you might need that”. Hugs to you; guilt is an awful feeling. You are doing what is right.

Cheri: we have confidence in you!

Tere: manicure/pedicure! :O

Katla: thanks for the information on cholesterol and weight loss. I had no idea!

Chris: I have trouble with the early morning too….I worked at 6:30 for so long that now I guess I don’t want to get up if I don’t’ have to. I keep saying I’ll get up and walk 10 minutes on the treadmill just to get a head start on my step goal, but never have done it. Ugh!

Pip: I missed the story about your eye but I sure hope it gets better soon. I”ve had a couple of scratched corneas and they are miserable, so I have much sympathy for any eye problem!

Lisa: hilarious! How’s your flooding situation?

OK gals time to get up and moving. I’ve been here reading the paper, doing the sodoku, and playing around on here for 2 hours, so it’s up and at it time! We are going to an all day picnic tomorrow so I’ll try to pop in and see how everyone is doing. Not sure when we will be back, I t’s with the Jeep club and they want us to wear cammoflage (sp???). I tried to look for cute shoes but no luck; no cammo any where LOL. OK take care, Meg from Omaha where the college world series continues!
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Miriam here from Iowa – To me you are not THE crazy cat lady, you are simply another crazy cat lady. I have a friend in CA who does cat rescue. She has 1 dog and 19 cats. I have a friend in IN who has 1 cat of her own and currently has 2 foster dogs and 4 foster cats. The group she works with will not allow her to adopt any of her foster animals. If she adopts one then she will be taken off their roster for any future fosters. Sometimes the thought that she cannot help more animals is the only reason she has sent some of her charges back to find new homes.

People who work with animal rescue, fostering and those who volunteer at shelters hold a special place in my heart and I send out prayers of gratitude for the work they do and prayers of comfort and strength for them to be able to continue their work without losing themselves in the process. It takes very special people to do that work. I once tried volunteering to simply sit with some cats at my local shelter to accustom them to people. The sorrow I felt at leaving them behind haunted my sleep. I finally found peace by actively playing a part in finding them homes. I now satisfy myself with donating money and food to the shelter because donating my time would truly turn me crazy.

Lori from Wisconsin I love that you stayed calm while DH was in a panic. That is one of the ways my DH and I work well together. Things that send him into a spin are things that don’t phase me and vice versa. We always manage to help each other stay balanced.

Lhannon062709 – (Lisa?) “When you’re eating” Good question. It made me stop and think. Still thinking so I haven’t got much to say about it yet. Just a small bell that chimed at the back of my mind letting me know I should pause and give this some consideration. Thanks for discovering that we can rename the meals to times. I may try that as well.

Mary from Minnesota – May the moving go smoothly.

I had Ben and Jerry’s last night. A combo of hitting the grocery store when I was hungry and timing on when I decided to open the carton. I enjoyed it but I’m a bit sad that I didn’t stop at a single serving. However, it is done and I will stick to my eating plan today. Also, I didn’t log it last night (too mad at myself). I will go log it today, really see the numbers and accept them, then move on. I’m not tossing the rest of my eggs on the floor. (I really like that analogy. My thanks to the original poster.)

Anyone here a premium MFP user? If so, can you share features that make it worthwhile to you?

Mia in MI

June goal - log food every day
    Word of the month – persevere

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    "Word of the month-persevere" must be my word too, Mia in MI -- it took me a month but I have finally lost another pound. Maybe this is my consolation prize for the cholesterol news yesterday. At least when I get to the doc on Monday I can show him a 10 pound weight loss!!!!! <3
  • csofled
    Options
    I am a beta tester for the Premium MFP version. In all honesty the ONLY feature I use and really like is the ability to turn off the exercise calories from being netted out of you daily calories. Since I don't intentionally eat my exercise calories it is much easier to see the correct calories left for the day. Other than that I do not use any of the other features.

Cheri
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon all!

My laptop is driving me crazy again! Freezes when I try to view attachments. And my tablet wouldn't send or receive attachments, but that's sorted now. I have got my laptop to circumvent the problem, but everything takes so long! OK, now it's frozen again. Just when I want to print out legal documents! OK, now it's sprung into life! ! ! ! ! ! ! :sad:

Penny - I bake my beets in foil. Around an hour, depending on the size. I stick a knife in to test. The celeriac I use both ways. Today we are having it as mash with duck legs, but I also love it as "celeri remoulade". I do half and half yoghurt and mayonnaise to save calories. Loads of Dijon mustard. :D To whoever asked, no, it is not the ssme as celery, it's a root vegetable.

Tere - I do struggle with salt. I have cut down over the years, but really don't enjoy my food without it. DH is not a salt lover at all, so I do eat less. I do not have a sweet tooth though. My blood pressure is fine with a minimal med.

Printing is a happening thing so far! Cross fingers!

I'm off to DSIL 's 62nd birthday party tomorrow and I'm staying over so I can meet an old school friend in London on Monday. Having lunch in the Rex Whistler room in Tate Britain, one of my favourite lunch venues. It has a mural running all round the walls. Then home. Wednesday we are back up to London for a day's babysitting and then on the Saturday back up again for a meetup with DH's twin sister and family. They are coming down from the north of England. Phew!
    My small problem is that I have to pack two bags, one for DH to bring back with him on Sunday and a tiny one I can lug around London and leave in the gallery cloakroom.
    I think my brain will be preoccupied with packing in the morning, but today, despite having to make a very early lunch and rush off to get my hair trimmed, I did manage 400 words of heavy writing. I did it in a big rush, just scribble, but it's down in black on white.

Lisa - I only eat at certain times and ignore hunger cues. I am ALWAYS hungry. I did an online test and was defined as a Constant Craver. :noway: Only very rigid calorie allotments and a timetable enables me to stay within boundaries. I don't plot macros, but only because my diet is excellent! :laugh: o:)

Love to all. Been very distracted, sorry. Printing woes.

Heather x UK

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,556 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lhannon - ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shared it with some of my co-workers here

UPDATE ON THE EYEBALL SITUATION - got an appointment for the eyeball at 1:40pm PST. having someone drive me and my bike to my house and i'll then drive to the doc and get me checked out
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ! ! !

Allison – Hugs for your stress, and for your dad and his dog. I’m sure your dad knows what is best for his dog. I hope the reno offers some relief soon.

Pip – I hope your eye trouble gets positive attention and resolves quickly for you.

Miriam – Welcome and hugs ! ! ! Sound like you have a fun, busy, loving home. Congrats!

Meg – Hugs for your computer issues. I just had my Supervisor walk me through a program that has recently been changed, and even with her help it was like a “hunt and peck” adventure. I’m so confused about why they start a new program or system, and don’t teach how to use it to those of us who need to use it. Again, more hugs !

Sylvia and Jen – My DS makes the 3-2-1 cake for himself, and adds any kinds of fruits or veggies (pumpkin usually). I love that he has few dirty dishes, and can do it himself. Spice cake mix with pineapple or apple is another one of his favorites.

Joyce – More hugs for your DH. I hope he is able to enjoy “his day”.

Metallaxi – Congrats on your loss!

Janetr – Hugs and congrats for the “ah-ha” moment between you and DGS.

Carol – Hugs for the situation with your Mom.

Cheri – You just show that hubby that you can do it this time; prove him wrong. We are together in this, and I believe in you ! ! !

Tere – Thanks! And hugs for you and your family. It sounds like you hit the jackpot with your SO. My DH won’t even look at me if I ask him if something fits, he just says (well, grunts) yes.

Katla – I love hearing about your horse-riding. We had horses in my childhood. We lived in the Chicago suburbs, but had relatives with a large farm near Whitewater Wisconsin, so they kept our horses for us, and we visited most weekends. I don’t think I ever knew life without horseback riding. However, we always used Western saddles. Congrats and “hats off” for your riding.

I did a “bing” search of celeriac and it does not look appetizing at all to me. It looks like a white beet, and I am not a beet fan. Kudos to those of you who like it, you may have my share.

My Dad found a “date” for the Fish Fry and concert tonight, so I can remove it from my food diary and watch my DS play baseball tonight instead. Yay! I would have enjoyed going with Dad, but I like watching baseball, too. Plus, Dad wants me to go with him tomorrow night to see his "favorite performers", who do mostly 50's and 60's music. The alto is a VERY good friend of his, and she has recently been diagnosed with throat cancer (never smoked, but performed in a lot of bars) so they are fullfilling their contracts, then retiring.

I also don’t understand the competition with support from family members. My sister is more successful than I when it comes to weight loss (many fewer joint issues), and I am always happy for her. Before the other sister passed, I took her as often as possible to any place possible that would get her moving. It helps me to be with and help others, so support is a good thing, even if I lose (like the contest we have here at work). In fact, sister just texted me that she found a bunch of shorts that no longer fit, so she is bringing them with her next week when we go to the 5 day concert. I hope they aren't too short, and that some fit. That's so nice of her. She said I can donate anything that I don't want. We like St. Vincent DePaul sometimes, because they helped the other sister a few times when she and her family were homeless (her hubby was too lazy to work, and she couldn't always make enough money for 3 kids + all of his cigarettes, but that's another crazy story).

Now, time for lunch; Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • lhannon062709
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mia in MI - yep, I'm Lisa, I'm just horrible about remembering to put my name at the bottom...

Putting times on the meals is already assisting for me, and hopefully will continue. Just kept reminding myself that the only thing going in that 5-11 a.m. slot was coffee, so the 300-lb. lady could just shut up and go sulk in the corner until I was done running, cooling off and showering. Worked. For today. But that's the other reminder. Just has to work today.

The egg metaphor I brought to the board, but was someone else's: "If you slipped and dropped an egg on the floor and it broke, would you stand there and drop the rest of the dozen? Or would you put them back in the fridge to use for another time?" Trying to use that one a lot, too, as I've been slipping this week.

I would worry more about not posting my calories into MFP. As soon as I stop posting is when I stop owning what I'm putting in my mouth, and I finally know that, for now and honestly, for the rest of my life. If I'm not posting on here, then I'll be writing it on a piece of paper in a notebook.

When I'm not recording it, I'm pretty much giving myself permission to lie to myself, as far as I'm concerned. Not trying to get all freaky about it--but I very conveniently "forget" what I eat. I "estimate" what a serving is. Not sure who I think I'm kidding, but I know who's gaining the weight. And I cannot, will not do that to myself anymore. I'm worth my own honesty, finally, even if I don't like the end number much.

And Heather - the fact that you're hungry all the time is oddly reassuring. After the six-month honeymoon from hunger was over post-gastric bypass, and I actually got hungry for food again on occasion, then quite often, then over the last few years, back to perpetual hunger, I thought I was doomed. Knowing you can be hungry, not give in, and still be a decent human being, is actually quite wonderful. Thank you. <3

Meg in Omaha - Lots of green is all we got from yet another inch of rain in West Texas, but my sister, near Dallas says she's growing web feet. Reservoirs are all full here for the first time in more than a decade--the ten-year plus drought in west and central Texas is broken. All the rest of my family near Nacogdoches (Deep East Texas, southeast of Dallas, northeast of Houston) seem to have made it through just fine. The Angelina River rose there, but no lives lost, just property damage.

Regards,
    Lisa in Far West Texas
  • csofled
    Options
    I would worry more about not posting my calories into MFP. As soon as I stop posting is when I stop owning what I'm putting in my mouth, and I finally know that, for now and honestly, for the rest of my life. If I'm not posting on here, then I'll be writing it on a piece of paper in a notebook.
    When I'm not recording it, I'm pretty much giving myself permission to lie to myself, as far as I'm concerned. Not trying to get all freaky about it--but I very conveniently "forget" what I eat. I "estimate" what a serving is. Not sure who I think I'm kidding, but I know who's gaining the weight. And I cannot, will not do that to myself anymore. I'm worth my own honesty, finally, even if I don't like the end number much.
    <3

You have put in writing what I have come to know as my truth! Way before MFP existed in the late 90's my husband had prepared an Exel spreadsheet into which I logged all my food. Guess what? I lost weight! My first stint on MFP....I lost weight! My second stint on MFP....I lost weight! Hmmm a pattern developed here that my husband insisted I wasn't seeing. That every time that I would log what I was putting in my mouth I was able to lose weight. Soooo....here I am again.....100 days in and having lost 12 pounds and establishing a regular habit of fitness walking and strength training that I know I CANNOT STOP DOING NO MATTER WHAT because IT WORKS FOR ME!

"And I cannot, will not do that to myself anymore. I'm worth my own honesty, finally, even if I don't like the end number much."

We are our only best friends and yes we are worth being honest to ourselves!

Thank you for sharing this and allowing us to identify with your honesty.

Cheri
  • lhannon062709
    Options
    Cheri.... you're very welcome. :blush: