WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• Lumamar
    Lumamar Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I really enjoy juicing and have no idea how to track what I juice as my juicer removes all the pulp. Has anyone else tracked their juicing? Do you just list all the ingredients that go into your juice?

Marci
    Boise, ID
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    I know what the "quote" means and does . . . what does the "flag" mean?

if you click on it, it gives you the option to let admin know that it's spam, you want to report it or it is abuse
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I admire your willingness to stick up for children at a personal cost. You are a strong and courageous woman. :heart:

Pip: Great stats on your bike riding. I agree with Margaret. Get your eyes checked. :glasses:

Penny: The veggies look yummy. We had sugar snap peas with dinner yesterday. We ate them raw, out of the garden along with our meal. They were the best part! :bigsmile:

I sent an email to the neighbors who have houses similar to ours telling them there is an interested buyer. There have been no replies, and I don’t expect any except as comments in passing.

The dog goes to the vet for his annual exam today, and we have a concert in the park this evening. The band is called the Hollywood Squares. I hope they’re okay. That would be an improvement over last week's band. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Ay ay ay, I got behind and had to skim through four pages of posts to catch up. My goodness, we have a lot to talk about!

Jen - Condolences on the loss of your daughter, and congratulations on your commitment to taking care of yourself!

Jules - Such a sad story. I'm sorry terrorism has come to your beautiful state, and my heart goes out to the families involved in the Charleston attack. People do such evil things when they let fear and hatred drive their actions.

GRITS - What would summer be without blackberry cobbler? I have no interest in any meal plan that doesn't leave room for cobbler now and then!

Short-term goals for this week:
    1. Go buy a bicycle helmet so I can start riding around my new town.
    2. Schedule haircut and color.
    3. Schedule labs/physical with the new doctor and remember to ask about the muscle cramps.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Jules - I am so sorry to hear a bout the shooting. Praying for Charleston families and residence.

PIp - I agree, getting your eye checked would just be a good idea.

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Penny - I adore beetroot, but my DH thinks it is the spawn of the devil! :laugh: Sometimes I buy a bunch, bake it and eat it over several days in a quinoa salad. Delish! If I am out I take every opportunity to eat it in a restaurant. All those veggies look wonderful. I have a huge celeriac and a butternut squash sitting in my veg rack at the moment. Adore them both. :love:

Hair trim tomorrow. :)

Heather UK
  • Lumamar
    Lumamar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lumamar wrote: »
    I would love to join all you ladies in getting fit and losing weight. The getting fit is hard enough but I can not seem to get the scales to go in the down direction. I am currently training for a 1 week bicycle ride call "Ride Idaho" in August and a long weekend of backpacking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) in July. I have been sedentary for so long that all this exercising is 'kicking my butt', just wish it would get smaller in the process!! I enjoyed reading this forum and looking forward to the extra motivation it provides. I have been a member of MFP for less than a month and have 20 lbs to lose and lots of muscle to build. B)

Marci
    Boise, Idaho

Marci, You are so lucky!! I wish I could do that hike with you. I live in Bakersfield and there is a section of the trail that passes right through the mountains just east of me. I was thinking of tackling that portion in the fall. Are you doing anything in particular to train for the hike? What is the altitude of the part that you will be hiking?

I'd love to hear more about it.

Elizabeth in CA

I am hiking a section of the PCT in California no less! We will begin our hike out of Mt Shasta. I love northern California and the scenery should be beautiful. The elevation is 7000 to 7400 ft for this portion. I am doing hikes at the local ski area with an elevation of 7200 to 7400 ft and in the surrounding mountains. This is one of the backpacking trips with REI Adventures as it is my 1st attempt at backpacking in 30 years and figured I needed all the help I could get.

Marci
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Penny Yum!

Second: If all is lost, where is it?

Third: My wild oats have turned into prunes and All Bran.
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I even made a blackberry cobbler last night

Yay for summer berries! Just had a lunch of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. So fresh and sweet. ncictag2jnjv.jpg

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I feel like I want to hug you all for taking the time out of your busy lives to help me figure out the cholesterol!!! My family background is that I lost my dad when I was 13 to his 4th heart attack. My mom also had a heart attack, but she was almost 89 at the time and had other contributing factors. I was so relieved to make it past 60, my dad's age. My other blood work has all good numbers for sugar, etc. I have only three bad numbers and they are LDL, total cholesterol and that darned scale where I am no longer obese but overweight. I can control my blood pressure with low dose meds. This journey to wellness/betterness is really important to me, and I have been awed and inspired by the stories you all tell!!! This is just a bump in the road on that journey.
    Jules I am sick about the news from Charleston, and so tired of all these types of stories in general. There is so much pain in the world, and none of it can be cured by adding to the pile. We need more kindness.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Last two days were not a good food day and last evening I noticed my fitbit has not snyced since May 31 and I could not figure out the problem. Even tried reloading it with no luck. So DH is going to be working on it. What is strange as I have it connected with MFP so that is in there, just not my steps or sleep. I went down to Emploee Health to have my blood pressure checked against the cuff I have. They are pretty close and mine is high, so am to go down twice a week to have it taken by them and if it keeps up they will send a copy to my doctor. I have been off blood pressure meds for almost 2 years, sure hope I do not have to go back on. I know it is stress from work.
    Carol--I hope you get some answers for your shoulder today at the doctor.
    Becca--Happy B-lated birthday!
    Janetr--I have an younger sister and since I have lost weight she has been real down on me as she will keep saying atleast she is still smaller that I am. Got love em!
    Joyce--Beautiful grand daughters. I do so like being grandma. They keep us young and on our toes. I say I can act silly when I am with them.
    Lisa--Thanks for smile,
    Heather--Sending HUGS! I hope you can get it sold soon so you can put this all behind you. I admire you for writing this next book, it takes a strong person to deal with this, but it could help so many people.
    Just had lunch with DH after his doctor's appointment. They are upping his Blood pressure meds and told him to limit salt and exercise. So gives us something to work on.
    Machelle--Welcome. This is a great group for support and freindship. Glad to have you join us.
    Teri--I agree, it is hard to watch those we love and not have them do what we know is best for them. I have a younger brother that is over 450 pounds and not wanting to get serious about lossing as he is afraid he will have to give up his beer or cut back. Not willing to do that.
    Sylvia--So glad the problem is fixed. An apple, would of never expected that.
    mom216--Remember to just take it one step, one day at a time.
    Grits--Sending prayers for you and DN.
    Allison--Glad to hear DH is getting you what you want for your birthday. You do what you have to, to take care of you. DH will just have to understand if this is not taken care of it will cost more down the line.
    Sassy--Missed you. Love the city picture. beautiful.
    Chris--Congrates on signing up for the 5k class. I admire you.
    Carol--Sending HUGS, and please do not give up. Once the surgery is done you will get back on track, Take care of yourself.
    Jen--Welcome, Sorry about your daughter. We lost our oldest son when he was 24, 3 days before his second daughter was born. It will be 16 years tomorrow.
    Rori--Hi while you are passing thru
    DH and DD are really into geocaching. I don't have the patience for it. Well time to go and I am up to page 54. See you all tomorrow.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! Prayers prayers prayers, we have one week before we are supposed to close on our house that we are trying to sell. The FHA appraisal still has not been done. Please pray that God will direct the hands of those that are supposed to be doing the appraisal and get it done in a timely manner so that we can close the following Friday of next week. Because we are supposed to close the following Wednesday on our house that we are buying. I think I am getting stressed out and all I want to do is eat eat eat! We still have a contingency on the house that we are selling if the appraisal does not work he can back out. Then we would be stuck until we found another buyer we would not be able to buy the house we want.

Thank you for your support!

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of Jeannette Jenkins 21 Day Body Circuit. I completely forgot that I already owned this DVD! The plan for tomorrow is to do Jeannette Jenkins Bikini Boot Camp DVD

Right now I'm making some chocolate chip cookies for when Jessica's friends get here. Then I plan to make some butterscotch spice cookies for them to take home with them. I don't want to give them the rest of the cookies to take home as I'm afriad that the chocolate chips might melt in this heat. But I'm fairly confident that butterscotch chips won't melt. I'm making the cookies a bit bigger. As you know, raw cookie/brownie/cake dough is my ultimate downfall. The sooner I use up the dough, the sooner it is no longer tempting me.

Rori
    - so good of you to drop by. You're sorely missed when you aren't here. Be safe

Vince just left for the doc about his shoulder. We shall see what the doc says. Personally, I think he's being a bit paranoid, but that's just me.

Jen - absolutely LOVE your emoticons.

Charm4U
    - We are all friends here, just keep popping in and you'll have loads and loads of friends.

janetr
    - we're selling a kayak

Gigi - welcome! You joined by posting!

JanetM - my recipe for tofu manicotti says for 2 manicotti it is 319 calories

Becca
    - doesn't your "suit" sometimes trap sand in your butt crack? I need to get a new bathingsuit for at home and I see where Hamricks has some on sale starting at 9.99. That's a price I can live with. That's interesting that you don't put something on the tips of the "girls". That's a pretty sensitive part on the body. But then again, if they're used to it, that's probably why you don't have to. I'd be STARVING if I didn't eat something before a meeting. How about a few cherries? Your son sounds like my dh. It works well since I don't really care for Doritos, that's why he gets them lots.

I couldn't believe it this morning when I heard about Charleston. How sad!

Mary - yes, I really did walk backwards. Works different muscles. That's something that I haven't done in a while. Not sure about Carol in NC's humidity, but we have practically none. Well, being from PA where the humidity can get unbearable, to me we have none. Of course, to some of the locals, they complain about the humidity.

Heather
    - I so admire you for being able to write down all that's happened to you

poop - how scary for you! It's always scary when you have problems with your eyes. My right eye is also my weaker eye. why in the **** are you here posting and not at the eye MD?????

Phew! All the cookies are DONE, over with, complete.

Vince just got back from the MD. He thinks the problem is more inflammation than anything else. Gave Vince a cortisone shot. Vince was thinking that he was looking at surgery, I had a feeling that it wasn't that bad.

Can't wait for this batch of cookies to come out of the oven. Then I'll clean up and go out in the pool.

Jen
    - my deepest sympathies. I can't even start to imagine what you're going thru

Janet - that WOULD be something if I wound up with my own class!!!

Meredith - welcome! Tell us about why you are in W. Africa

Penny at the Pole - you sure do know how to make a person drool!

Alison - so sorry for your dad. that was nice of you to go be with him. I'm sure he's hurting right now.

Vince wanted to cut the grass in the front but wanted to do it later tonight when it got cooler. That's OK, I had dinner ready and we were just going to eat late. Well...now it's thundering so I have a feeling we're going to get rain and we probably won't be cutting the grass. Update: here comes the rain, here comes the rain......

Mary from MN
    - sending only good vibes your way

You know, I'm glad that my watch is so loose on me. It's a silent reminder to me whenever I have an urge to have something that isn't good for me (high calorie)

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    This afternoon I danced with the group that will be dancing at the county fair. It is usually a fun time but today someone expounded on a politically charged topic and others chimed in. Line dance classes are usually an "opinion free zone" and it made me sad that someone introduced a potentially divisive topic. :'(

The Women Ages 50+ thread has been a similar "opinion free zone" for all of us and I hope that we can redouble our efforts to stay away from potentially divisive topics. Sharing about health, fitness, family, and fun are what binds us together. I want it to stay that way.

<3 Barbie
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Penny Yum!

Second: If all is lost, where is it?

Third: My wild oats have turned into prunes and All Bran.

Love it, Margaret :)
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    So saddened by the events in Charleston, a city I love. I hope that the citizens find the strength to carry on, like we did here in Boston after the marathon bombings. Sending prayers.

Poopy/Pip...please get that eye checked out. Sounds like a corneal abrasion,I had many when I wore hard contacts. Easily treated but needs treatment.

Walked 1-1/2 miles, uphill I might add, to our new farmer's market. I got a lovely piece of fresh tuna and summer squash, which I sprilized, for dinner. It was yummy.

Going to face the scale in the morning, hope to have lost any weight I may have gained while I was having all that fun.
    Nighty night.

Chris in MA

• janetr7476
    Options
    Vicki GI NE. I guess I'm not alone, thanks. Yep gotta love em. "they mean well" That just gets me going when others tell me that. Lol
  • janetr7476
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eexermom Lol thanks for the offer of the kayak. I'm thinking some of those to the south of me could use it about now. We have a mess here in OK.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Miriam here from Iowa. And yes, I am the crazy cat lady with a cat rescue operation- currently I have 14 and am fostering two special needs/ unadoptable cats for my local shelter. I also have one dog, although I have had as many as three in the past. I am in the process of adopting my sister's granddaughters. They have been living with me for the past two years. I have three adult sons, and four grandsons and a granddaughter. My daughter-in-law has lost over 65 pounds here, then went and had a breast reduction and a stomach skin reduction. She looks great and I am so happy for her. My oldest son has lost 35 pounds here. So now it is my turn. I had been on here before the girls came, and had lost some weight, but when they came I had to focus on their needs so I gained it back. They were severely traumatized when they arrived. Anyway, I would love to lose 100 pounds but it will be a slow process. I have severe arthritis in every joint so I am limited in the amount of physical activity I can do. I also have celiac disease and have to be super strict about avoiding all gluten. I got sick just from breathing it when the girls first came and we were making homemade play dough. Anyway, this looks like a great bunch! Glad I found you!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi dear friends. I have been trying to get on the site all day; seems to have been down each time I tried. Tech problems at work too. I got a new computer Tuesday and can't work any of the programs LOL. Long story short I needed to be upgraded to do online meetings and was told I was way down on the list, so said I needed the manager because I had to do these meetings to teach and there were 18 students in my class who wouldn't be able to take it so I need that new computer NOW. Well 15 minutes later, there was a knock on my door! But the down side is I can't use it...took me 20 minutes to send an email. OMG

OK more later. Take care all Meg from Omaha the home of the college world series!