WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi, Charm4u -- I have been looking over my MFP reports to see where I might be falling down on the job. What I am beginning to realize is that while I am doing really well with carbs, proteins and fats I still have not been getting enough fiber -- I feel like I am eating veggies and beans all the time but I guess I have to fit a lot more in, meaning less of something else to get those calories in. Also, I checked my exercise and I have been deluding myself that I am exercsing more often than not -- It looks like I have only exercised 43 out of the past 90 days. When I do exercise it is usually at least 40 minutes on the elliptical, or walking or bicycling, so it is not half-hearted, just need to do it more often. Seeing as to how it is fiber and exercise that is supposed to lower LDL maybe I can learn something from these reports after all! Just had been hoping that the weight loss and less calories would have made a difference with that total cholesterol number. Does it sound like I am on the right track in solving the mystery of my blood test? Still depressed, but at least haven't gotten the Kleenex out (yet). Any more ideas, lovely ladies?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,673 Member
    Options
    . bkrimpet - yeah, look at your carbs of the stuff you are eating and it should show a listing of the top 4 you are tracking, if you don't have carbs as one of them, you can modify it so that it will show
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I have to admit, was loving the fact that I burned over 1700 calories yesterday.

I was impressed! Showed my husband your stats... we both were jaw-drop-smiley-emoticon.gif

Jen in California

• oceanmelody
    Options
    Heather, thanks for the info! I already take the high blood pressure pills but I hate adding something else to the mix. Do you notice any adverse side effects to the cholesterol meds? Family history of heart disease, but I keep feeling I should have some control over that blood work somehow. Maybe I can try being good (or better) for a bit more and see if it makes a difference; if not I should be losing the weight anyway just because, and bite the bullet on the meds. It helps to know that even skinny people might need the meds! Why do we get our brains wrapped up around perceived personal failings?
  • kariliz2
    kariliz2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm here too! Just got started a week ago and I've already gone from 183 to 180!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My goal is 160. Really, I would like to be down to 142-- my weight throughout my 30s and 40s-- but 160 would be great, for now. I'm in upstate NY now but usually reside in West Africa.

Meridith! We have the same weight goals except I'm starting at 179. NEED to get to 160 for my health, but would love to see the 140's again. I know I feel so much better at that weight.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and support. My first day logging food and I came out with 10 calories to spare. WhooHoo! I'm hoping that I will adjust to the no sugar and that will help my cravings. I cant tolerate any non-caloric sweetener, so dont have that route as an option.

Moving on with day 2.
    Kari from VT
  • kariliz2
    kariliz2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bkrimpet - Its depressing when you work so hard towards something and dont see the results. Sometimes the lifestyle changes dont make a difference in the labs. But remember you are getting other benefits from the changes you are making, and maybe the chol just needs a little longer to come around. My cholesterol is borderline, hoping that 20 lbs or more will make a difference and I can avoid medication, but know that I have a family history. Same with blood pressure, one visit my doc shook her head and said to me "I know you are fighting the good fight with your diet and exercise, but your genetics is winning." I went on a low dose of BP meds and it is well controlled now. It sounds like you are doing the right things and weight loss often helps cholesterol, so if yours didnt budge, it maybe is genetics. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! I'm not so whiny today. :blush: I ate a lot of food yesterday, although most of it was healthy and nutritious, I was WAY over calorie. Your support has meant the world to me! I also decided (in the wee hours of the morning) that, dammit, I am going to persevere and that I need to be incredibly disciplined over the next week because I will be depending on my daughter to "feed" me for the first week or two after surgery. Since I will be missing two weeks of work resulting in two weeks of no pay for one of my jobs, there will be no money for take-out, etc. so I need to take careful inventory to be sure I have enough food prepared to last me for a good while. Macros may not be be the best, but I can be sure there is enough nourishing and filling food (i.e., lots of beans).

Kim - How hard is it to fix a kitchen faucet? The handle on mine came off in my hand over the weekend. I'm having a hard time getting it apart with basically only one hand.

Heather - I'm proud of you for writing about your difficult years. As part of my healing, I've had to lock away the memories as I dealt with them. To let them back out might literally kill me so I stand in total admiration for your courage.

Alison - Put your health first! All of this work to achieve early retirement will be useless if you are too unhealthy to enjoy it.

I had more to say, but interruptions have knocked my list right out of my head.

Take care!

Carol in NC

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! We are way too chatty for me to keep up with being so busy with trying to move. I am attempting to read all posts and respond when possible. I am going to just try to check in more often and put my two cents worth in.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    bkrimpet, I recently had my blood test come back very positive. The cardiac rehab folks were ecstatic. The primary things I changed were to add an Omega 3 vitamin daily and make sure that I was eating more good fats such as olive oil and avocados. I'm also working on increasing my fibre although I'm still having difficulty reaching the 21 g recommended for me on 1200 cals. FYI, raspberries have a ton of fibre in them. I'm also thinking about adding a teaspoon of benefibre( tasteless and non thickening) to my morning coffee, but haven't yet since I'm having difficulty getting in 8 glasses of water a day. Hoping that some of these things can help you too. <3

Lisa: thanks for the tips on the sodium and excel :smile: I'll check out trendlines.

Carey
  • pipcd34
    Options
    I have to admit, was loving the fact that I burned over 1700 calories yesterday.

I was impressed! Showed my husband your stats... we both were jaw-drop-smiley-emoticon.gif

Jen in California

thanks! I was looking at your lil icon, I was cracking up!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Bkrimpet - as I don't, by some genetic miracle, have high chloresterol I don't know what the side effects might be, but my DSIL, who is slim and gorgeous and swims and cycles every day tried everything, but had to give in to meds which worked a treat. She was making herself miserable cutting out this and that. :cry: The other person I know with sky high chloresterol was as thin as a stick. :sad: Life isn't fair! ! ! ! ! ! As I said, there are people who swear by a high fat diet. There is some kind of group on mfp for that. My feeling is, if you can't stick to it for life there's no point in starting. This is for ever. And EVER. If you're not loving your food nothing is going to last. Good luck! I was very frustrated with my blood pressure and could hardly believe there was NO improvement, but I guess there is a reason we are living longer. Modern medicine. :laugh:

Thank you Carol! :flowerforyou: Like some others on here I have spent a fortune on therapy over the years. :ohwell: Just recently though the intimate details were just too much for me. :cry: I am ploughing through, a bit at a time. What motivates me is to stand up for children. I don't know if I am fortunate or unfortunate, but I have an excellent memory for all those awful years. One year in particular was a living hell. I want people to know what some children have to suffer. And how aware they are of what is happening to them. We are all "inner children". :flowerforyou:

My risotto was the biz, by the way. :laugh: 400 cals. + french beans.

Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Pip - I too am blown away with your stats. We all love you cuz you lead by example :smile: I don't burn that many calories in a week. Your contact lense and burning eye sounds very painful. Is is better now. Hope so.

I have found that my logging is definitely helping with my food planning. This morning I was entering recipes and figuring out how everything would fit in for the day. That way I know exactly where I'm headed, what I'm eating and more inclined stick with it. I don't get on the scale until Saturday morning. I think I've done well. I need to work on not letting my scale have so much importance in this process. At least I haven't weighed every morning as is my norm. :/

ALSO I haven't had any more apple pie, Ha!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Pip if you can read this run do not walk to an ophthalmologist as quick as you can you might have a scratched cornea. You had not joined us when I told my torn retina story. My retina was torn and my friend said you probably just have something in your eye. It looked like smoke. From when it happened til I got it repaired was was about 28 hours. If I had let it go I would have had a 1 out 3 chance for the retina to detach getting it repaired lowered my odds to 1 in 20. If it had become detached I would have had to have major surgery and lost some vision in that eye. Because of the quick action. I did not lose sight in that eye.

I am one who hates to go to the doctor. I knew I had to go.

I found the senility prayer in my mom's stuff. It also included some sayings that I will share.

First one: Funny I don't remember being absent minded...

:heart: MNMargaret
  • metallaxi
    metallaxi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    still no cheating, four days in a row
    keep a detailed account of what i eat and how much i exercise. i also include some few calories for house work and normal work
    i count my walk jog in kilometers, not steps and time. my pace 10.5 min per km
    good night to you all it is Thursday night in windy Greek islands
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Pip if you can read this run do not walk to an ophthalmologist as quick as you can you might have a scratched cornea. You had not joined us when I told my torn retina story. My retina was torn and my friend said you probably just have something in your eye. It looked like smoke. From when it happened til I got it repaired was was about 28 hours. If I had let it go I would have had a 1 out 3 chance for the retina to detach getting it repaired lowered my odds to 1 in 20. If it had become detached I would have had to have major surgery and lost some vision in that eye. Because of the quick action. I did not lose sight in that eye.

I am one who hates to go to the doctor. I knew I had to go.

I found the senility prayer in my mom's stuff. It also included some sayings that I will share.

First one: Funny I don't remember being absent minded...

:heart: MNMargaret

holy s*&$t !!!! my vision wasn't blurry this morning. there's a slight sting still, nothing really bad though. I have an app. for Wednesday to get the prescription for that contact looked at again... my eyesight sucks (since birth have had eye issues, 3 surgeries, blah blah blah) I CAN'T loose vision in that eye, that's the better eye!!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    I started logging my bike trips on this other site (in addition to my usual tracking of the actual rides everyday) and was curious as to how many miles I've ridden so far this month. pretty interesting:
    I have saved $92.73
    saved 12.27 gallons
    saved CO2emissions 246.35 pounds
    22 trips
    204.10 miles
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Bkrimpet – All I can say about cholesterol is that I have known different things to work for different people. I had a friend who started eating oatmeal (usually steel cut or the slow cook kind, never instant) every morning and it finally lowered her counts.

On the other hand, my FiL, his sister, and DH all eat as instructed, are not overweight and still have high cholesterol. It is absolutely genetic for them and meds are the only way to keep it under control.

On my Dad’s side of our family the cholesterol is picture perfect and yet, heart problems run rampant. My Dad’s cholesterol was 97 and good to bad ratio 5 to 1when he needed a double bypass. Thus, I have never rejoiced at my excellent cholesterol counts because I know in my family something besides cholesterol is at play. When I needed a cardio workup prior to having surgery I learned that I have calcium in my heart. Fortunately it has not built up a blockage. I am grateful I needed the workup in order to get permission to have surgery. I now know why my family has heart problems even with great cholesterol and know what to watch for. This is one of the reasons I feel surgery was the best possible decision I could have made for myself. I am blessed.

Wishing you the best of luck in beating this thing.

Mia in MI

June goal - log food every day
    Word of the month – persevere
  • oceanmelody
    Options
    Thanks, ladies, for all the info and good wishes!!! It is great to have a place where people understand all the emotions that go along with this crazy numbers game we are in. Get to see the doc and the nutritionist both on Monday--will put our heads together. I still want another go at doing better -- going for a little walk right now to clear my head. Whatever happens I am sticking with the weight loss scheme; getting stubborn about it now!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I started logging my bike trips on this other site (in addition to my usual tracking of the actual rides everyday) and was curious as to how many miles I've ridden so far this month. pretty interesting:
    I have saved $92.73
    saved 12.27 gallons
    saved CO2emissions 246.35 pounds
    22 trips
    204.10 miles

Hooray for the environment, hooray for your household economy, and hooray for YOU Poop!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome,Jen,Trying to get some stuff done today.weather getting warmer again.Was nice to have a few days on the 70`s.
    Hugs
    jane (from IL)