What are your trigger foods?

Options

Replies

• BarbaraR5563
    BarbaraR5563 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    impromark wrote: »
    A buffet is a trigger for me. I'm naturally frugal, so any time I feel like I need to justify the cost of what I'm spending, I always end up gorging myself at the all-you-can-eat. Luckily, I've learned to avoid those places altogether under regular circumstances. And when work conferences and their buffets happen, I'm similarly toast.

Mark

Maybe just eat two pieces of toast! You look like you're in pretty good shape. I always have a plan when I go to those conferences. I simply look around and see all the overweight people and I put small portions on my plate. There is no food that tastes better than thin feels for me. Another thing I do is I make sure I've gotten my workout in and I don't eat before or save the calories. I'm 5ft tall so I have to watch it probably more than you!
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh--cookies, pie, croissants. I just cannot eat a normal portion. Chips can be in my house for days-no problem ignoring those. Ice cream--don't eat it. Pretzels-don't even like them. Sweets, pastries--that's my downfall. How do I deal with it? Not well which is why I have 15 pounds to lose. I need to just stop buying/making them, then there is nothing to deal with.
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Heh, perhaps. Fortunately I'm pretty much at my desired eight level (fitness level is the current journey), so I'm able to "suffer" the rare buffet and its delectable array of tastes and caloric values. I try to plan for such happenings and adjust my workouts accordingly. :)

Mark
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    chocolate of any kind except Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder, Jelly Belly's are a problem, caramel or cookie dough ice cream, Yeah...I'm a carb junkie but I just don't have that stuff in my house. I also don't want to load up my body with artificial sweeteners, so I whip out my Magic Bullit and puree up a bunch of strawberries and raspberries mixed, freeze them by the cup, and I have my smoothie base already to go. It only takes about 1 minute to turbo thaw in the microwave and is perfect for an ice cold smoothie, or just add coconut water (or plain water) with some ice and that steels my wool.
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Tortilla Chips and M&Ms. They are like my cryptonite.
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    Heh, perhaps. Fortunately I'm pretty much at my desired eight level (fitness level is the current journey), so I'm able to "suffer" the rare buffet and its delectable array of tastes and caloric values. I try to plan for such happenings and adjust my workouts accordingly. :)

Mark

I figured you had this covered!
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    anything...well specifically cookies or brownies...cake..muffins. anything. oh god i'm doomed
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    anything...well specifically cookies or brownies...cake..muffins. anything. oh god i'm doomed

What do you do? I try to keep them out of my apartment. I am doomed too if I am around it. I'm learning discipline and have done pretty good. Don't you just hate trigger foods? :)
  • HostageCat
    HostageCat Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Pizza.... it's really rare when i can say no to it
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    HostageCat wrote: »
    Pizza.... it's really rare when i can say no to it

Ok you're the first to admit to pizza. Bingo. This is a food I will allow myself to eat. I will eat three pieces. Yes three pieces! It is my weakness. I don't do it often but I am like you when it comes around I do not say no! I get right back on it. My lifestyle change includes pizza. :)
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Mark
    You nailed it!! As long as you don't eat that way a lot, the weight will stay off. It took me a long time to stop continually denying myself a dinner out now and then. I usually do it once a month.
  • FreshStartForMyself
    FreshStartForMyself Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    To be honest, anything I eat straight out of the container is a trigger food for me (cookies, peanut butter, nutella, ice cream, cereal, etc.). I find that if I measure out a portion and eat it from a plate/bowl/mug or whatever, I don't overeat and I satisfy my craving. Win-win :)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I can never eat just one cocktail sausage. Or just one breadstick. But other than those, I don't have anything that I can't measure out a serving of and be satisfied with. For the cocktail sausages it's probably partially because measuring a serving is so confusing! The nutritional label on the kind my dad buys say 'per 1/14th of a pack'... how am I supposed to know how much that is without complicated (for me, anyway, since I have dyscalculia) maths?! Per one sausage would be so much easier!
    Oh, and I find grapes hard to put down, but even if I eat the whole pack it's not too many calories.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Potato chips with cottage cheese- I could polish off an entire can of low fat Pringles very easily- also sweets- Oreos, chocolate chip cookies, no bake cookies, cake, and candy bars. I used to work in an office area where there were mini candy bars that I would eat one or two of and think it wouldn't matter much (the problem is I would do that two or three times per day). Luckily I work in a different office area. As for the other things, I just don't keep these things in the house. I do buy the Sunchips which I can eat just one serving of and it takes care of my crunchy salt cravings. I also keep fig newtons in the cookie jar- I can stop eating one or two of those and it takes care of my sweets cravings. Today I'm trying an experiment- I bought an extra large dark chocolate bar and ate one serving (7 squares 170 calories) and put the rest in the freezer. I am wondering and hoping that I can stay away from it until I have another chocolate craving and just eat one serving. I have tried this in the past but ended up eating the entire thing in one day.
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    To be honest, anything I eat straight out of the container is a trigger food for me (cookies, peanut butter, nutella, ice cream, cereal, etc.). I find that if I measure out a portion and eat it from a plate/bowl/mug or whatever, I don't overeat and I satisfy my craving. Win-win :)

I agree on certain foods I can do that like with peanut butter. You are so disciplined! That is why you are at goal weight and will stay there. Congratulatiions!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have entirely changed how I think about food and its role in my life. There were foods that were terrible triggers for me in the past, but I no longer have trouble consuming them in moderation or having them around the house.

I'm very impressed you can keep these things in your house without bingeing... I can only long for the day. Potato chips, tortilla chips, Cheez-Its... if we buy them, they are gone. Keep up the good work. Any tips or techniques you use to avoid the binge?

I wish I could give you some secret trick, but honestly... it's nothing more than the life experience I've had with some pretty traumatic stuff. I know I'm strong. And I just kicked myself in the posterior and told myself that I was stronger than a pan of brownies or bag of caramel corn (my two worst triggers). I've tested myself with both of these and passed with flying colors.

The thing about learning to believe in your own strength is that it is a thing that reinforces itself. You don't have to start with your trigger food, though. Tell yourself that you'll accomplish something with your fitness pursuits... when you have done what you've set out to do, realize that you're as strong as you think you are and OWN it.

I should add that I'm not an overly confident person. I'm shy and deeply insecure about many things about myself. I'm just... stubborn. ;)
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    I have entirely changed how I think about food and its role in my life. There were foods that were terrible triggers for me in the past, but I no longer have trouble consuming them in moderation or having them around the house.

I'm very impressed you can keep these things in your house without bingeing... I can only long for the day. Potato chips, tortilla chips, Cheez-Its... if we buy them, they are gone. Keep up the good work. Any tips or techniques you use to avoid the binge?

I wish I could give you some secret trick, but honestly... it's nothing more than the life experience I've had with some pretty traumatic stuff. I know I'm strong. And I just kicked myself in the posterior and told myself that I was stronger than a pan of brownies or bag of caramel corn (my two worst triggers). I've tested myself with both of these and passed with flying colors.

The thing about learning to believe in your own strength is that it is a thing that reinforces itself. You don't have to start with your trigger food, though. Tell yourself that you'll accomplish something with your fitness pursuits... when you have done what you've set out to do, realize that you're as strong as you think you are and OWN it.

I should add that I'm not an overly confident person. I'm shy and deeply insecure about many things about myself. I'm just... stubborn. ;)

Carol you are a wonderful person with so much to share! Do you mind if I add this post to my blog and I will use your name if that is ok? I think you are an inspiration and people will be able to identify with you. I would love to be friends with you. You can kick me in the butt for not doing my steps yet!
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, anything I bake...basically anything sweet. Which is a bummer because baking is my number one hobby and I don't have anyone to give the food to.
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    Ice cream, anything I bake...basically anything sweet. Which is a bummer because baking is my number one hobby and I don't have anyone to give the food to.

Can you bring your baked goods to neighbors or churches with poverty stricken people? You have a wonderful gift of being able to be an excellent baker. I would give my banana bread to the neighbors. Or could you find something healthy and yummy to bake? There are great recipes online! You're so kind!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    wasabi peas. I go crazy if I eat even 1 wasabi pea, God help me.