Tips on adjusting to 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i was eating 1200 but i bumped it up to 1350.
    I am getting minor headaches around the afternoon so i think 1200 is too low.
    Although oddly if MFP didn't have a no lower then 1200 rule i think my calories per day would of been lower since my deficit wasn't 1000 calories after i put my stats in and put it to lose 2lbs per week.

Anyway i set it to 1.5lbs per week and it spit out 1450 or something to that regard but i think 1350 should be just fine.

I'm only trying to lose 1 pound per week, that put me at just under 1300 calories.

Youre probably not as heavy as i am tho :P lol
    I am 230lbs currently.

I'm 149 pounds. I'm aiming to be 115-120.
  • malavika413
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    The practical difference between 1200 calories per day and 1300 isn't a heck of a lot.

If you do not want to open your diary....what kind of foods on average are you eating now? It would be easier for people to give your practical advice if you opened up your diary for people to take a peek.

Diary's open. I'm on vacation now, but I usually eat bread, eggs, cereal, some veggies, etc.

Oops. I didn't even check if it was open or not. As for the last week (which I realize you are on vacation), but it seems like you aren't logging all your food. I would start there and make sure that even though you are unable to weigh your food that you are accurately at least logging it all.

I'd look to replace and low density foods with high density ones. I'd eat lots of veggies, good amount of fruit. A big bowl of egg beaters and some veggies for breakfast would be very filling for a low calorie punch.

Yeah, last week has been erratic. But on average I do log completely. I'll look into eating more veggies, I have a frozen bag I could use.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm eating about 1200 a day. I think overall eating more bulky foods, lots of insoluble fiber, and STRATEGIC fats help with this. (My diary's open, BTW. My fat for today is no bueno, so far, but I'm going to have something...probably buttery...tonight!)

Our current weights are identical and goals similar.
  • malavika413
    Options
    I'm eating about 1200 a day. I think overall eating more bulky foods, lots of insoluble fiber, and STRATEGIC fats help with this. (My diary's open, BTW. My fat for today is no bueno, so far, but I'm going to have something...probably buttery...tonight!)

Thank you!
  • malavika413
    Options
    Yeah my goal is 135lbs.
    However, its good to know that for the time being i can eat at 1300 and lose weight until im a bit smaller. im always so paranoid about upping calories, even if its just a little bit.

I know how you feel. It's not going to be fun eating 1200, but I really want results.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Whoops, I'm 9 lbs lighter. Didn't read it right!
  • malavika413
    Options

Thank you!

Whoops, I'm 9 lbs lighter. Didn't read it right!

You do look a lot better than I do, haha. I'm rather fluffy.

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Getting a digital scale for my food was the best thing I ever did for knowing how much I'm really eating.

Yes, 1200 calories a day can leave you feeling hungry. I eat back some of my exercise calories, and I make sure that I have a few generous servings of protein.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are usually pretty accurate at calculating your TDEE. Why don't you just eat at Fitbit TDEE -500 Cal?
    When you don't weight you may have over/under-estimates.

You could discuss with your room-mates that you are recording your food using MFP and that you want to ensure that you are not UNDER-eating. The concerned room-mate would be able to access your diary and see for herself that you are not restricting too much...

Actually logging your days would be required ;-)

Eating less calorically dense/higher volume foods may make you feel less hungry!
  • malavika413
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Fitbits are usually pretty accurate at calculating your TDEE. Why don't you just eat at Fitbit TDEE -500 Cal?

You could discuss with your room-mates that you are recording your food using MFP and that you want to ensure that you are not UNDER-eating. The concerned room-mate would be able to access your diary and see for herself that you are not restricting too much...

Eating less calorically dense/higher volume foods may make you feel less hungry!

The fitbit minus 500 gives me around 1600-1700 calories, which I regularly eat. But it feels like way too much food because I'm not losing.
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2015
    Options

The fitbit minus 500 gives me around 1600-1700 calories, which I regularly eat. But it feels like way too much food because I'm not losing.

Let's discuss "not losing".

Go to www.weightgrapher.com and enter your daily weight ins for the past month. What is your trendline?

Losing or not losing?

500 Cal a day is 1lb a week. I am losing a bit faster than that. I have had several 10 to 12 day periods rotating around what seems to be the same weight. And I don't even have to deal with water retention associated with TOM!

So are you actually not losing?

(P.S. Both weightgrapher.com and trendweight.com can automatically import your FITBIT weight data)
  • malavika413
    Options

Let's discuss "not losing".

Go to www.weightgrapher.com and enter your daily weight ins for the past month. What is your trendline?
    Losing or not losing?

500 Cal a day is 1lb a week. I am losing a bit faster than that. I have had several 10 to 12 day periods rotating around what seems to be the same weight. And I don't even have to deal with water retention associated with TOM!

So are you actually not losing?

I don't weigh in daily because I don't have a scale at my apartment, I weigh whenever I go home, every month or so. It's not great, but it's the best I can do on my budget. I've only lost one pound in 6 weeks.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Secondly, we KNOW that you are not weighing your food. So yes, maybe you are overestimating your calories.

But how do you go from I eat 1600 to 1700 Cal a day to I eat 1200 AND no exercise calories?

Anyway. Do one or the other; not both.

You don't LOOK like you are particularly overweight (I haven't run your numbers). You are young. Have you considered continuing to eat exactly what you are and upping your strength training or other exercise?

The effect will be the same (a larger deficit) and you will feel stronger too instead of "starving" yourself...
  • gainwait
    gainwait Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about you having roommates controlling you. You take care of what you want when you want. Don't allow them to have that kind of power over ANY PART of your life. A scale is very important lol. My family thinks I'm nuts but hey I'm looking good.
    Well said. My family thinks I'm nuts too.
  • malavika413
    Options
    Secondly, we KNOW that you are not weighing your food. So yes, maybe you are overestimating your calories.

But how do you go from I eat 1600 to 1700 Cal a day to I eat 1200 AND no exercise calories?

Anyway. Do one or the other; not both.

You don't LOOK like you are particularly overweight (I haven't run your numbers). You are young. Have you considered continuing to eat exactly what you are and upping your strength training or other exercise?

The effect will be the same (a larger deficit) and you will feel stronger too instead of "starving" yourself...

I'm planning to do 1200 with no exercise calories. I'm currently on 1290 with exercise calories, which brings me to 1600-1700.

I only have a face-up picture, I assure you that I look fat and need to lose the weight.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I don't weigh in daily because I don't have a scale at my apartment, I weigh whenever I go home, every month or so. It's not great, but it's the best I can do on my budget. I've only lost one pound in 6 weeks.
    I see multiple 4+ star rated bathroom scales on Amazon.com ranging in price from $13.99, pair one with a digital kitchen scale for a similar price, and some free shipping filler products, and for $35 you are done!

Maybe you are correct, and you only lost 1lb between visits. However, water weight can easily account for several lbs. And a 1lb per week loss is only 4lbs or so in a month. Are you taking body measurements? How are your clothes fitting?

How active are you? How many steps/active minutes do you have on your Fitbit?
  • malavika413
    Options
    I see multiple 4+ star rated bathroom scales on Amazon.com ranging in price from $13.99, pair one with a digital kitchen scale for a similar price, and some free shipping filler products, and for $35 you are done!

Maybe you are correct, and you only lost 1lb between visits. However, water weight can easily account for several lbs. And a 1lb per week loss is only 4lbs or so in a month. Are you taking body measurements? How are your clothes fitting?

How active are you? How many steps/active minutes do you have on your Fitbit?

I average at least an hour of active minutes and 10,000 steps. My clothes and measurements have been the same for months.