Unsupportive Family

Options
Hi everyone, I'm just starting my weight loss journey. I'm a college student home for the summer and I'm finding that my dad is not supportive of my new lifestyle. He constantly buys me fast food even after I tell him not to, and he gets offended when I don't eat it. So today, I just ate it so he would not get his feelings hurt, and I went over my calorie limit and I feel like crap. I know he is trying to be nice, and I love him for his thoughtfulness, but how can I get him to back off with the fast food? I don't want to hurt his feelings anymore. I tried to explain that I want to be healthier but he just tells me to "live a little"

Replies

• jasmine_sheppard
    jasmine_sheppard Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Explain to him that you will not eat the food and don't eat it. That's what I did when I was in high school.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You have to accept that only you can decide what you will eat. It is hard, but you must learn that you can't please people through food. After a few times that your dad's fast food purchase does in the trash, he will get the message.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    You can either not eat the food, or make the food fit into your day. It's entirely your decision what you put in your mouth.
  • LorraineRock
    LorraineRock Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you should question why he does not support your request. You should be the one who is offended that he does not respect your choices, and that he over-rides your decisions. It is his choice to buy food that you will not eat - let him eat it! Calmly and respectfully remind him that you did not request the meal, and DO NOT EAT IT!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's your body to eat what you want but if you feel guilty then perhaps you can look at the websites for the fast food restaurants he goes to, pick out a healthy option and ask him to pick up what you chose. Most ff restaurants now have decent options.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Either order something that fits, or offer to cook when he mentions going to pick up food.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    time to take care of you, you will offend a lot of people in life but remember put you first, please learn this while you are young. You are doing nothing wrong, he is. Learn to say No, I cant have unhealthy food.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You have to just not eat it.

There is no logical reason for your dad to be offended by you not eating a fast food meal that he purchased. He didn't prepare the food with his own loving hands from a family recipe. You specifically told him you didn't want it. He purposely ignored your request, your own feelings about eating the food, and bought it for you anyway. What, in all of that, is a reason to protect your dad's feelings by eating the food?
  • erinleggett12
    erinleggett12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There was a study done a long time ago about how 75% of parents who have obese children actually think their child is underweight- maybe since you have been eating his way for so long he thinks it's just a phase and he can get you out of it- believe in yourself and be strong!! Remember this is YOUR LIFE AND YOUR JOURNEY! Negative people aren't positives in life- they hold us back for their own selfish reasons! ! Don't put anything in your body you will regret! You got this- keep it up and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Next time he hands you that stuff, put it in the trash.
    Someone buying you something does not mean that you have to eat it.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Start cooking meals for your family.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You're getting good advice here, yeah. On the other hand - hey, free food!

I'd request something specific. If not, I'd just eat the meat, skip the bun and fries, everybody's happy.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You're getting good advice here, yeah. On the other hand - hey, free food!

I'd request something specific. If not, I'd just eat the meat, skip the bun and fries, everybody's happy.

Great advice, I usually ask for Grilled Chicken..toss the bun and only eat the meat (well I did until I adopted a vegetarian diet.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I know he is trying to be nice, and I love him for his thoughtfulness, but how can I get him to back off with the fast food?

Sounds like he isn't being nice or thoughtful. Sounds like he is ignoring your choices and opinions and guilting you into behaving a certain way.

Do feel pressured into eating the food. If you don't ask for it and have told him not to buy it for you then if he feels bad it's his own fault.

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Next time he says 'live a little' tell him you are by not eating that crap... living a little longer too.

okay dont actually say that lol.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Be strong! Look him in the eye and shake your head NO! Don't eat fast food! If you were an alcoholic would he offer you a beer..? You might ask him that. It is hard and challenging but you can make choices that are healthy for you.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Depending on your age, lifestyle and parents expectations of you, you could do something to scare them.

Maybe bring home a tattoo covered biker, show them your (temporary) tattoo of a three eyed wolf over or right should and tell them your pregnant. Then say you just wanted to live a little.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Something to bear in mind is, as hard as it may be to consider this, that it's actually a form of control from a parent to an adult child. I know the OP thinks her father was being 'thoughtful' when he bought her food, but honestly, all I see in her words is a daughter who's grown up, and is exerting her free will over her body. Whether parents actually consciously realise they're doing it or not, guilt tripping a 21 year old woman into eating food that she's expressly stated she neither wants and has told them they won't be good for her, is a fairly distinct attempt at parental control to me.

The OP is home for the summer and once again under her parents' roof, after living independently at college (I presume). Her parents can no longer ground her, or restrict most other parts of her life, and this is a small (but very important) part of her life that the father has discovered he can still exert some control over her. I am SURE he is not entirely malicious in his intent, but it is happening anyway. I suspect a tough conversation is needed, to establish boundaries in the OP's diet, and how far her parents are allowed to step into that part of her life. I'd be very interested to see if he changes to the things the daughter says she wants, even if they're from a fast food restaurant, or if he continues specifically buying only unhealthy options for her. Are there other family members in the house that will back you up? Once the majority is on board with a lifestyle choice, it tends to be that the person in the minority does give up their position, and allows the changes to take place.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    (1) dont eat it or;
    (2) make it fit into your day.

I eat fast food/ eat out all the time