Tips on adjusting to 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Here's an example: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1272415

Look much more lean. Same weight at beginning an end.

I mean, I know all about the benefits and stuff. I just don't know if it's something I want to do for myself. Lifting heavy requires funds I don't have and energy I don't have.

As you get more fit, you'll get more energy. Exercise GIVES energy in the long run.

Funds--you should have a campus gym!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm waiting until 125 to figure out how much and when I want to recomp, myself. :) Time investment is definitely a consideration!

I really need to do an hour a week of real cardio and at least an hour a week of strength training for health. I might just see how far that will get me.

I'm trying to get through the 30-day shred right now so I can handle the lowest level of FitnessRum.com. Both are on youtube. They have small handweights + bodyweight, and that's it. I'm hoping I can do "real lifting" after. We'll see if my joints strengthen up and stabilize.
  • erinleggett12
    erinleggett12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe a ketogenic diet would be good for you
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just looked through my diary since I've had plenty of 1200 cal days (even though my TDEE is 1530). It was interesting to notice that on most of those days I had some thing with ground turkey in it: chili, meatballs, etc... I also had little to no snacks on those 1200 cal days, but three square meals. I think it is doable as a diet plan with well planned satiating meals.
    Here's one of my low cal days:
    18pxqu8nbho3.jpg
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Maybe a ketogenic diet would be good for you

I barely eat meat, so I don't think that would be a good option.
  • malavika413
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    I just looked through my diary since I've had plenty of 1200 cal days (even though my TDEE is 1530). It was interesting to notice that on most of those days I had some thing with ground turkey in it: chili, meatballs, etc... I also had little to no snacks on those 1200 cal days, but three square meals. I think it is doable as a diet plan with well planned satiating meals.

Is ground chicken a thing? It's pretty much the only meat I eat, turkey makes me sick.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »

Is ground chicken a thing? It's pretty much the only meat I eat, turkey makes me sick.

I eat mostly chicken, if you check out my diary!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

ndj1979 wrote: »
    She's 5'3" and 149lbs. She can weight lift all day, but she isn't going to see anything but slightly smaller dimensions for that. Recomping at 5'10" would make total sense at that weight, but not at 5'3".

wut??????

I agree with MamaBirdBoss. It's too soon for recomp.

This bodybuilder is 5'3" and 140 lb according to her profile. 9lbs less than OP right now. There is nothing wrong with looking like this (it's pretty badass, actually) but I assume if the OP wanted to be this size, she'd have mentioned it.

http://www.girlswithmuscle.com/265104/Cathy-LeFrancois
  • malavika413
    Options

She's 5'3" and 149lbs. She can weight lift all day, but she isn't going to see anything but slightly smaller dimensions for that. Recomping at 5'10" would make total sense at that weight, but not at 5'3".

wut??????

This bodybuilder is 5'3" and 140 lb according to her profile. 9lbs less than OP right now. There is nothing wrong with looking like this (it's pretty badass, actually) but I assume if the OP wanted to be this size, she'd have mentioned it.

Nope, that's not my goal at all. I just want to look thin enough for a two piece bathing suit.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options

wut??????

Nope, that's not my goal at all. I just want to look thin enough for a two piece bathing suit.

Yeah, try Couch 2 5k C25k app to start with. :) That will get you a way better burn!
  • HS2234
    HS2234 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 a day and im rarely hungry. Im not as active as you walking wise and im a lot taller and heavier but i work standing and walking all day for 8-12 hours and am currently renovating a house as my side job so i listed myself as lightly active and i dont really log my exercise unless it was something completely out of the ordinary since i dont do a lot right now.

My diary is only open to friends but feel free to add me and take a look. I dont spend a lot of money but i eat healthy filling foods. Weighing is essential for me. I could not estimate what i have been eating. I also now eat from a large pasta bowl rather than a plate. It is completely full so i feel like ive got a lot of food but i dont. It would look tiny on a big plate. Start weighing and you may learn a few things about portion sizes and by the time you are back eating college food, you will have a good idea of what you should be seeing on your plate.
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Still standing by my comment that MFP is not a good place for folks with ED's generally speaking. Straight from a psychologist who treats ED's all day long.

Recommending BF% as a measure because if you go only by scale weight you end up skinny fat. See it every day at the gym I work at. I didn't recommend a BF scale by the way. Just a BF measure. Hydostatic and BodPod are what I do with follow up on calipers. I've seen women at "goal weight" with 31% BF. Might be fine in your 20's but as you age you will wish you focused on muscle mass a bit more.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

wut??????

And like I said, that may not come from cutting to low calories. You could become just a smaller version of what you are now (your BF% would still be the same).

I personally would rather pass the BF% / Mirror Test / Tape Measure Test vs. a number on a scale that no one knows but me test......but that's me.
  • daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Before you drop to 1200 cal try this for a week.
    Tell your house mates it's nothing to do with them so their concern is sweet but comments not required.
    Plate up what you would normally eat just 'eyeballing' the measures write it down, then actually weigh it all. Keep a diary for at least a week do it with everything! Oils sauce drinks and then add up the difference, you will be gobsmacked at the difference . Be brtally honest. It is all down to guestimating your food. You won't loose until you log! Xx good luck
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Oh hey, another thing that some people find is that doing interval training, with spurts of intensity, leads to less hungriness than longer sessions of cardio at a steady, lower rate of intensity. Strength training is good too, and will help keep you from losing lean mass, especially if you increase your protein intake.

Good luck! I have had some days where my appetite is so intense I want to eat everything in sight. If nothing else works, I try to go somewhere that I'll be busy and distracted, like a library, or a mall walk.

Don't be discouraged. You can do this. It can be a process to find out what habits you need to change, and how to trick yourself into doing it.
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I run your TDEE with little exercise/sedentary, it has you at Fat Loss calories of 1360. It says your extreme fat loss is 1192 calories. Also recommends you are not a person who should use the "extreme fat loss" method.

But back to your original question of how do you do a 1200 calorie diet since it sounds like you are wanting to go that route...

Good quality calories with a balance of protein, fat and carbs. Very little room to eat anything but quality when you are at 1200 calories a day on a regular basis. It's not a fancy answer.

And educate yourself on how the body works, uses calories, builds muscle. That freedieting site has very sound advice. And I know you are focused on summer and fitting into a two piece but I would encourage you to start focusing longer term on your health. The habits and things you do in your 20's will effect you later.

Good luck.
  • flash4198
    flash4198 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat on a regular schedule like exactly every 3 hrs.. and water drink alot water in between
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Still standing by my comment that MFP is not a good place for folks with ED's generally speaking. Straight from a psychologist who treats ED's all day long.

Recommending BF% as a measure because if you go only by scale weight you end up skinny fat. See it every day at the gym I work at. I didn't recommend a BF scale by the way. Just a BF measure. Hydostatic and BodPod are what I do with follow up on calipers. I've seen women at "goal weight" with 31% BF. Might be fine in your 20's but as you age you will wish you focused on muscle mass a bit more.

What's wrong with you??? She doesn't have an ED. Geez.

Also, she's medically overweight. Quit telling her that she can lift weights into a beach bod. It's not possible at her height.

OP, you're fine. Do Couch 2 5K until you're at 120-130lbs, then decide on what to do next.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Oh hey, another thing that some people find is that doing interval training, with spurts of intensity, leads to less hungriness than longer sessions of cardio at a steady, lower rate of intensity. Strength training is good too, and will help keep you from losing lean mass, especially if you increase your protein intake.

Good luck! I have had some days where my appetite is so intense I want to eat everything in sight. If nothing else works, I try to go somewhere that I'll be busy and distracted, like a library, or a mall walk.

Don't be discouraged. You can do this. It can be a process to find out what habits you need to change, and how to trick yourself into doing it.

I kinda hate steady-state cardio, personally, or rather it now hates me, so I mostly do interval training and circuits myself. I find them generally more enjoyable. But C25k is very approachable for people without terrible joints.