My 20 pound "Bulk" log (also life changing)

Options

Replies

• seifofficiale
    seifofficiale Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Weighting this morning at 157lbs woooha!
    Only 4 days left for 1 month of bulk and already 4 pound gain! Awesome *kitten*!
  • seifofficiale
    Options
    1100 calorie shakee! Boombaautpd3dwtq8uu.jpg
  • seifofficiale
    Options
    Got my macros for today, a little bit lower with the calories for the rest day.
  • seifofficiale
    Options
    All signs of bloat are away and im still at 157! awesome *kitten*!

Time for a good chest/tri workout today!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Day 24!
    Weight= 156.5lbs

Workout: ARMS
    3x10 alternating dumbbell curls
    3x8 preacher curls
    3x10 barbell curls
    3x10 hammer curls
    3x10 skull crushers
    3x10 tricep rope push down
    3x8 french press
    2x10 dips

So you did all this tricep work the day after you did all that tricep work along with shoulders?

Does this program you follow recommend splitting up muscle groups for proper recovery.

Because the improvement comes, not during the workout, but during the recovery - if rest and diet allows.
    You got the diet part down, eating in surplus.
    But the rest for recovery and repair, ehhh.

Looking at your daily routines - you got any other days like that - same muscles basically be tapped out day after day?

That won't lead to max improvements. You may be lucking out now as noobie - but even then - you could have better results.

Just curious.
  • seifofficiale
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

So you did all this tricep work the day after you did all that tricep work along with shoulders?

Does this program you follow recommend splitting up muscle groups for proper recovery.

Because the improvement comes, not during the workout, but during the recovery - if rest and diet allows.

Looking at your daily routines - you got any other days like that - same muscles basically be tapped out day after day?

That won't lead to max improvements. You may be lucking out now as noobie - but even then - you could have better results.

Just curious.

It's a 5 day split program i got from bb.com and it goes exactly like that 5 day workout and 2 days rest.

I guess you're kinda right about the noobie gains and i'm also about to change my routine to a 3-day split.
    But i see nothing wrong with my routine bro?
  • seifofficiale
    Options
    So a small update here, today for my macros i got exactly 3000 calories and 170gm protein.
    Only 1 week left for 1 month progress report, hoping to see changes!! Wooha
  • heybales
    edited June 2015
    Options

Just curious.

It's a 5 day split program i got from bb.com and it goes exactly like that 5 day workout and 2 days rest.

I guess you're kinda right about the noobie gains and i'm also about to change my routine to a 3-day split.
    But i see nothing wrong with my routine bro?

Ohh, so day 23 and day 24 of the routine, but a rest day between for actual recovery.
    That makes sense.

Because otherwise, if you think it's a good idea to work the same muscles day after day - keep doing some reading to discover how that will negatively impact your gains - not just for the overworked muscles, but also for the bigger ones they allow to be worked.

For example - if you wiped your triceps out on shoulder day doing the OHP and military and dumbbell press, and then the very next day did chest day using the triceps again - would you imagine that you'll do anywhere nearly as good on bench and incline as you could do if you did not do back to back tricep usage like that.
    That one now weak muscle well prevent you from getting a good pec workout the next day.
    And the tri isn't even going be able to recover stronger like that.

Here's some good info if you haven't seen it. Well respected for science based info, but in this case, just explaining a good workout setup.

https://youtu.be/OWmchPCyDvw

One thing wrong with the program for your experience level - not getting the frequency for max gains.
    You'll see better gains from the 3-day split giving you 2 x weekly.
  • James254Taylor
    James254Taylor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    and day 22 is done!
    Got all my macros, my 3.1k cals and 160gmnprotein.

Tomorrow which is day 23 i gotshoulders which is my weakest point haha.

Would love suggestions of how to warm up for shoulders cuz i never did.

• James254Taylor
    James254Taylor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What r u doing to get in all 3100 cal I can never do it any super food suggestions
  • seifofficiale
    Options
    What r u doing to get in all 3100 cal I can never do it any super food suggestions

Calorie dense shakes bro! Help tons!!

Peanut butter, honey, eggs, milk, protein powder and almonds!
    I make a 1000-1100 calorie shake everyday , helps a lot
  • seifofficiale
    Options
    and day 26 is done! Just got done with my workout, still my mcros tho
    3 more days for progress report!
  • seifofficiale
    Options

One thing wrong with the program for your experience level - not getting the frequency for max gains.
    You'll see better gains from the 3-day split giving you 2 x weekly.

Yeah i will change my routine to 3 day split after 3 days (i.e: after 1 month progress)
    Thanks for the info bro, helped!
    Cheers
  • seifofficiale
    Options
    Just got done with my macros!
    A little bit more calories in for today, dunno why haha. But probably cuz bulking hmm haha

So around 3600 calories today and almost 170gms of protein!
  • seifofficiale
    Options
    I would love any suggestions for a good 3-day or 4-day split program to start working with in my 2nd month of bulking.
    Thanks!
  • heybales
    Options
    You really won't get the gains from that as a beginner as a better program - you need volume with frequency, 2-day split at the most, 3x weekly.

1 body part a week almost is at the advanced levels where muscle growth is slow and hard to come by. You are no where near that yet.
  • seifofficiale
    Options
    You really won't get the gains from that as a beginner as a better program - you need volume with frequency, 2-day split at the most, 3x weekly.

1 body part a week almost is at the advanced levels where muscle growth is slow and hard to come by. You are no where near that yet.

I've been lifting for years man, just havent took it seriously.
    I've lifted even at 10 years when i was training judo lol so i guess I'm not a beginner?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    You're 19 at ~155, you're a beginner. Compound movements and squatting 3x a week are your best bet for adding mass.
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-strength-programs/
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I've been lifting for years man, just havent took it seriously.
    I've lifted even at 10 years when i was training judo lol so i guess I'm not a beginner?

# of years lifting does not dictate your lifting "status." There are benchmark standards for the main lifts which will help you see where you compare with your 1RM.

@heybales has been giving you solid advice.

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    You may benefit from adding more carbs, cutting some protein. Protein at 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass is sufficient for bulking.