end of the day and you got 180 cals left...

Options

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I really like having chopped strawberries and bananas with toasted sunflower seeds as a bedtime snack.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I'll eat something like nuts, if not I just don't eat them.
  • Ithlilian86
    Ithlilian86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my current issue as well, but I have more than 200 calories left at the end of the day. How is eating ice cream not counter productive?
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Quest Bar, V8 Juice, Fat Free Milk

or a combination of the above
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    Quest Bar, V8 Juice, Fat Free Milk

or a combination of the above

A Quest and V8 Smoothie?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This is my current issue as well, but I have more than 200 calories left at the end of the day. How is eating ice cream not counter productive?

1. Did you eat primarily nutrient dense foods with your other calories? If so, there's nothing wrong with finishing off your day with a treat.
    2. Because MFP is set up with a reasonable calorie deficit based on your goals and under achieving that goal, significantly, over time, can lead to loss of lean body mass and other undesirable outcomes. Now, shorting by 200 once in a while is likely not going to have a huge impact but there is a reason to try to hit your goal, not come in consistently under.
    3. Because it tastes good.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt every night before going to bed. I don't count calories anymore, but even if I was would still eat it whether I had extra calories at the end of the day or not.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'd take a quick look at my micros. If everything is in order then I'm going for a scoop of ice cream or my cadbury mini eggs. Those are my usual evening snacks. If I'm drastically short on a certain micro then I'll pick something to give me a boost there.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

1. Did you eat primarily nutrient dense foods with your other calories? If so, there's nothing wrong with finishing off your day with a treat.
    2. Because MFP is set up with a reasonable calorie deficit based on your goals and under achieving that goal, significantly, over time, can lead to loss of lean body mass and other undesirable outcomes. Now, shorting by 200 once in a while is likely not going to have a huge impact but there is a reason to try to hit your goal, not come in consistently under.
    3. Because it tastes good.

+1

As long as you're staying in a calorie deficit, the weight will come down.
  • ashleytread
    ashleytread Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Last night I mashed up avocado, added some lemon juice and ate it with a serving of pretzel thins. In the past, I've hoarded calories but that doesn't work for me as I end up going way overboard on the binge day.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, maybe a string cheese, pop chips, berries, glass of champagne.. whatever I'm in the mood for. Usually when I have 200 calories and under left, and it's late, I probably just go to bed and leave them for the weekend : )
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    String cheese,apple,plum,pickle,applesauce,yogurt,or sardine in olive oil if I'm really hungry and need protein. Usually I eat 1200 calories but burn 800-1000 so I usually have 600 or more left daily that I don't eat.
  • asappoeun
    asappoeun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What would be more important, hitting caloric goals, or staying within reach of your protein,fats,carbs number??
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why would eating ice cream within your calorie goals be counterproductive?

It might not be the best choice, if the day was low on other nutrients that won't be found in the ice cream, but if that's the case better planning is the issue, not having ice cream (although I might choose to use my extra calories on something else instead).

What strikes me as potentially counterproductive is being well below your calorie goal regularly, unless you have a much higher calorie goal than most women here get. If you are routinely eating, I dunno, 1000 calories, that's not only going to be a problem in terms of getting in everything you need (including things like adequate fat), but it's likely to result in you lacking energy over time or blowing it in a spectacular way or feeling frustrated with the way you are eating and giving up.

It's somewhat common when people first start to be super energized about changing your diet and trying something new and for some of us that results in feeling like you are perfectly satisfied on even really low calories. That happened to me when I first started when I was shocked to see I was doing 900 or so on some days. But this is not sustainable, and my suspicion is that most people will do better educating themselves on how to meet a more sustainable level of calories while they are still enjoying themselves and feeling okay on the lower number, by making sure you don't have weird hangups such that you think lower is always better and veggies without adding oil or salads without higher cal things like cheese or olives, etc. must be better, to work toward a diet that is balanced and meets your overall needs and has room for some extras (like ice cream) when you start wanting to incorporate them.

I don't think everyone cares about sweets, but I do think it's the rare person who won't want to be able to have the occasional (or even regular, in a moderate amount) lower nutrient/higher calorie item in their diet, whether it be wine or cheese or ice cream or who knows.
  • KC5115
    KC5115 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Icecream! Although, since I plan my whole day out ahead of time, I put the icecream in first and plan my whole day around it. No shame.
  • KC5115
    Options
    cottage cheese for me. Usually get a cup of fat free CC, a few packets of Splenda, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Mix it all up and it's a sweet treat.

Or if you want zesty. Just add in hot sauce, and pepper instead..... or some salsa.

The zesty doesn't but they sweet part sounds good! I am going to try that!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I pre-log most days, so I don't usually have this problem :smiley: But I do include something sweet at the end of most days.
  • KC5115
    Options
    asappoeun wrote: »
    What would be more important, hitting caloric goals, or staying within reach of your protein,fats,carbs number??

I just was thinking the same thing! Macros are calories.

Plus labels aren't super accurate anyways which is why I weigh everything.
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    V8, watermelon, or frozen fruit.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    KC5115 wrote: »
    asappoeun wrote: »

I just was thinking the same thing! Macros are calories.

Plus labels aren't super accurate anyways which is why I weigh everything.

Wut?