Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Options

Replies

• k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    moosiemom wrote: »
    Mom of a 2 1/2 year old. Just one kid, and I already can't keep up with him. Dunno how you guys do it. I work full time too, so between work and household chores, I'm left with very little time for exercise. Heck, I'm left with very little time for sleep. But to squeeze in some exercise, I walk around the block during lunch breaks, and ujam classes twice a week. And lately, with better weather, I get to walk with the family after dinner too. :-) Family time and exercise (it's the best kind.) I just started MFP 23 days ago --- and I'm loving this community. Hope to meet more friends.

Welcome! This is a fabulous place for support. I am sending you a fried request now. =) I also have a young one and I am here to help in any way I can!
  • Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mom and sometimes I really fear being one but I know someday I will have kids soo...any advice?
  • k_nelson_24
    Options
    Shreshy wrote: »
    I'm not a mom and sometimes I really fear being one but I know someday I will have kids soo...any advice?

You will never feel like you are 100% ready to have babies but it will be one of the BIGGEST blessings of your life! It is hard work taking care of a little life, but they will improve your world tremendously. My life is so much more happy and fulfilled! And to be honest, she makes it easier for me to make healthier choices. If I take better care of myself, I can take better care of her in return.

Parenthood is nothing to fear. It's hard, but so rewarding!

This is my daughter. =)
    y5svox3x21o8.jpg

• Spaniel5
    Spaniel5 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

You will never feel like you are 100% ready to have babies but it will be one of the BIGGEST blessings of your life! It is hard work taking care of a little life, but they will improve your world tremendously. My life is so much more happy and fulfilled! And to be honest, she makes it easier for me to make healthier choices. If I take better care of myself, I can take better care of her in return.

This is my daughter. =)
    y5svox3x21o8.jpg

Wait till the teenaged years!! :-)
  • k_nelson_24
    Options
    Spaniel5 wrote: »

Wait till the teenaged years!! :-)

I'm in no rush to get to the teenage years! Haha... I have some karma coming back around for putting my parents through hell during mine! Enjoying every moment with her as a baby. =)

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Don't fear it. You are never prepared and if you think you are, then life throws you a curve ball. My kids still surprise with what they can and will do, good and bad. If you were to try and write an instruction manual for how to be a parent. it would be a million pages long.
    Spaniel5 wrote: »

Wait till the teenaged years!! :-)[/quote]

My oldest daughter just turned 13, and my younger daughter just turned 11. So far so good, but I am sure it is coming. lol I have my dad parenting survival kit ready. lol

• MikePXstream
    Options
    5mls2h3px7tx.jpg

Good morning everyone. One of the most common concerns I hear across the board is "I don't know how you find the time to exercise" or "I don't know how you find the time to meal prep and eat healthier." You have to have a plan, a strategy to line out what you are going to do for the day or the week. And, just as equally important, you have to share this plan with your family, so that they understand and are on board with your decisions.

I'm sure there are people out there way more busier than I that get it done, and some not as much, but if you have a plan, then you are a step ahead of the game. To give you and idea....

Married, 3 kids, 13, 11, and 6. My wife and I both work full time. She is a school psychologist, so she is on break right now, but during the school year, she is maxed out. My days start at 0700. I exercise for 45-60 minutes, spend about 15 minutes on personal development, eat breakfast, spend about an hour or so checking in with my different support groups I host, then spend the rest of the morning with my wife and kids. At 1:00 pm, I am getting ready for work and out the door by 1:45 for my hour commute. I work from 3:00 - 11:00pm, home by 12:15 on average, and in bed by about 1:00am.

Sunday afternoons I reserve for a little meal prep for the week, to at least have healthy dinners while I am at work. Since I sit behind a desk all evening, I don't want to fill up on poor food choices, as that would be counter productive to my goals. Intertwined with all of this, my kids have gymnastics, track, and soccer that we shuttle them around to, and my wife and I are assistant coaches for the junior runners of the local running team. I take car of the morning shift driving the kids around while my wife takes care of the evenings. So, if we can get all of this done, and still have time to exercise and eat right, than so can everyone else.

But, you have to have a plan. My suggestion, write down everything you have to get done in a day. jot down how long each task will take, then look at a calendar, and mark out the times to do it. Make it a daily plan, and you are good to go. One little caveat. You may have to sacrifice something if you truly want to change your life and achieve your goals. I maybe watch 2-3 hours of tv total a week. I haven't touched my Playstation in months. When I am satisfied with achieving my goals, then I will consider reintroducing those into my life. But right now, they are not a priority.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Good morning. How is everyone doing today? Happy Friday! Are you ready for the weekend? I'm getting there. Looking forward to it too. I hope you all have a fantastic day!
  • k_nelson_24
    Options
    5mls2h3px7tx.jpg

Good morning everyone. One of the most common concerns I hear across the board is "I don't know how you find the time to exercise" or "I don't know how you find the time to meal prep and eat healthier." You have to have a plan, a strategy to line out what you are going to do for the day or the week. And, just as equally important, you have to share this plan with your family, so that they understand and are on board with your decisions.

I'm sure there are people out there way more busier than I that get it done, and some not as much, but if you have a plan, then you are a step ahead of the game. To give you and idea....

Married, 3 kids, 13, 11, and 6. My wife and I both work full time. She is a school psychologist, so she is on break right now, but during the school year, she is maxed out. My days start at 0700. I exercise for 45-60 minutes, spend about 15 minutes on personal development, eat breakfast, spend about an hour or so checking in with my different support groups I host, then spend the rest of the morning with my wife and kids. At 1:00 pm, I am getting ready for work and out the door by 1:45 for my hour commute. I work from 3:00 - 11:00pm, home by 12:15 on average, and in bed by about 1:00am.

Sunday afternoons I reserve for a little meal prep for the week, to at least have healthy dinners while I am at work. Since I sit behind a desk all evening, I don't want to fill up on poor food choices, as that would be counter productive to my goals. Intertwined with all of this, my kids have gymnastics, track, and soccer that we shuttle them around to, and my wife and I are assistant coaches for the junior runners of the local running team. I take car of the morning shift driving the kids around while my wife takes care of the evenings. So, if we can get all of this done, and still have time to exercise and eat right, than so can everyone else.

But, you have to have a plan. My suggestion, write down everything you have to get done in a day. jot down how long each task will take, then look at a calendar, and mark out the times to do it. Make it a daily plan, and you are good to go. One little caveat. You may have to sacrifice something if you truly want to change your life and achieve your goals. I maybe watch 2-3 hours of tv total a week. I haven't touched my Playstation in months. When I am satisfied with achieving my goals, then I will consider reintroducing those into my life. But right now, they are not a priority.

Wow! This was extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    My pleasure. I used to be all over the place, never with a plan or strategy, so what would I end up doing? Hitting the snack machine at work, going through a drive through on the way to work, eating whatever junk food co-workers would bring in. Needless to say, that contributed to me going from 170 pounds to 200 lbs back in 2012-2013. Combined with no regular exercise.

Good nutrition and regular exercise have become a priority to me. IS my nutrition perfect? Of course not. I still fall, have cheat meals, and revert back to old habits from time to time. The difference now is it is only for one meal or day, not week or months! You just have to take it one day at a time.
  • k_nelson_24
    Options
    That is what I am having to slowly teach myself. Not letting a bad weekend bring me down is so important. Also, patience is key!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Yes, patience and acceptance. We will never be perfect all of the time. But, the more you get up and do whatever you have set out to do, the more it becomes habit, then an everyday unconscious part of your life, which will continue to yield results.
  • Carrie210
    Carrie210 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm so excited to find a thread like this. I have been in and out of MFP too many times to count. I have 2 crazy kids :) I definitely need/want to lose weight. Haven't found the motivation to get up early enough for working out. And daily life is hectic so I need great tips for easy foods I can grab and go. (i.e.string cheese)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of 3 young kids - 5, 3 and 2. I work a full-time corporate job and am now divorced. I've lost weight with MFP before, and ready to drop the rest of this weight for ME! Love seeing so many other parents making themselves a priority.
  • AmyG27
    AmyG27 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mom of 6! 10, 7, 5, 3, 2, 4 months. Work full time, mommy full time! Feel free to add me :)
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Carrie210 wrote: »
    Hi!! I'm so excited to find a thread like this. I have been in and out of MFP too many times to count. I have 2 crazy kids :) I definitely need/want to lose weight. Haven't found the motivation to get up early enough for working out. And daily life is hectic so I need great tips for easy foods I can grab and go. (i.e.string cheese)
    Glad you could join us. I can't get up early either. I work evenings now, so the earliest I am willing to get up is 7:00. That seems to work ok. I know I will have to wake up with the kids to get them ready for school, so might as well start the habit now :smile:
    busyPK wrote: »
    I'm a mom of 3 young kids - 5, 3 and 2. I work a full-time corporate job and am now divorced. I've lost weight with MFP before, and ready to drop the rest of this weight for ME! Love seeing so many other parents making themselves a priority.

Corporate jobs. Blah. Me too. Well, kind of. I don't know. I guess I work for a corporation, but I don't have a cube. It's weird. lol Glad to have you with us.
    AmyG27 wrote: »
    Mom of 6! 10, 7, 5, 3, 2, 4 months. Work full time, mommy full time! Feel free to add me :)

6!!! I know you have your hands full. nice to have you with us!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Funny mom moment - my 5 year old woke up early and watched me do 30-Day Shred and kept telling me how great I'm doing and "look at that sweat!" haha Gotta love the no filter of a 5yo. :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    Funny mom moment - my 5 year old woke up early and watched me do 30-Day Shred and kept telling me how great I'm doing and "look at that sweat!" haha Gotta love the no filter of a 5yo. :)

I get up every morning doing calisthenics and all three kids (7, 5, and 1) get in on it - awesome to see a one year old doing pushups and counting them out!

• MikePXstream
    Options
    That's awesome. I love it when the kids get involved!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    s0h8nokfze25.jpg

Good evening everyone, in case I don't get to chat with you between now and Saturday, I hope you all have a safe and wonderful weekend. Please remember to thank a member of the armed services should you come across one for the sacrifices they made for the freedoms we have. We appreciate that kind of stuff. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.