Re: Dislike sugar cereals advertising on a site for fitness.

Options

Replies

• heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't remember ever seeing cereal ads. That said, I switched from low carb and almost no sugar to eating cereal(Reese's Puffs) and other carbs again, and I'm losing weight better than I was before. lol Bonus is, I'm happier and less obsessed.. which means there is a better chance I will actually be able to stick to my plan. :) So I just don't get people who say sugar and sugar cereal is the devil when you are trying to lose weight. Most of my sugar comes from my cereal, and I don't consume what would be an excessive amount a day. Some people may need to watch sugar... but to say you can't lose weight and eat sugary cereal is wrong.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    They can also be "related" to your searches by keywords. I was looking for toys for my nephew, now all my ads are for Pull-Ups and toddler fashion.

Oh and I was raised on Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Corn Pops, and Apple Jacks. For 42 years I've never been more than 10 lbs overweight, no medical issues, hardly ever get sick, perfect blood work. Maybe the bad artificial flavors cancel out the bad sugars? Medical mystery...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Why? I think your ads are based on your google searches anyway. I get adult diapers and clothing ads.

No they're not. Even if you search for anything in the MFP database, it will show up.

Although I'm not sure why I keep getting plus size clothing ads.

Yes, the ads do have a connection to your Google search. The biggest ad server out there is Doubleclick and they're owned by Google.

Nice try considering that I don't use Google ever.

ETA: I guess I should have said that ads are not *necessarily* based on your Google searches only.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Why? I think your ads are based on your google searches anyway. I get adult diapers and clothing ads.

No they're not. Even if you search for anything in the MFP database, it will show up.

Although I'm not sure why I keep getting plus size clothing ads.

Yes, the ads do have a connection to your Google search. The biggest ad server out there is Doubleclick and they're owned by Google.

Nice try considering that I don't use Google ever.

ETA: I guess I should have said that ads are not *necessarily* based on your Google searches only.

But they still use Adsense which is Google.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I don't browse cereal sites. High sugar cereals is not a good way to lose weight. Sugar is not very healthy for anyone. Sugar substitutes are worst.

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891.gif

The ads are based on your search history, key words that you have used in threads just like these, and algorithms that predict what ads you may be interested in.

There was a thread a while back where we were debating about hamburger toppings and I proclaimed my vehement distaste for mayonnaise and got into a discussion about that vile condiment for at least half a page. Next day, Hellmann's ads started popping up.

Welcome to the internet.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    They can also be "related" to your searches by keywords. I was looking for toys for my nephew, now all my ads are for Pull-Ups and toddler fashion.

Oh and I was raised on Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Corn Pops, and Apple Jacks. For 42 years I've never been more than 10 lbs overweight, no medical issues, hardly ever get sick, perfect blood work. Maybe the bad artificial flavors cancel out the bad sugars? Medical mystery...

It's the cinnamon in the Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Raises your metabolism, don'tcha know?

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options

It's the cinnamon in the Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Raises your metabolism, don'tcha know?

Plus the corn in corn pops and the apples in apple jacks are totally good for you!

• kimny72
    Options

Oooo, good point! I forgot about the magic of cinnamon.
    Damn, now I need to pick up some Cinnamon Toast Crunch on the way home.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Plus the corn in corn pops and the apples in apple jacks are totally good for you!

Hello, Froot Loops. Everyone knows that froot is good for you.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Cinnamon Toast Crunch is at its best served over ice cream. In case you needed ideas :drinker:

• kimny72
    Options

LOL, it truly is part of a well balanced diet! So my parents get credit for that, as long as they are willing to take blame for feeding me canned vegetables :grimace:
  • kimny72
    Options

Cinnamon Toast Crunch is at its best served over ice cream. In case you needed ideas :drinker:

0h1qnwvmd4ty.gif
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I'll do you one better...

Crush cinnamon toast crunch and spread in a pie plate. Get a small ice cream scoop or melon baller and scoop vanilla ice cream, then roll in the cereal mixture. Put the scoops in a cupcake liner in a muffin tin, stick in freezer to harden. Serve with drizzled caramel sauce over it.

Tastes like fried ice cream.

You're welcome.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Hello, Froot Loops. Everyone knows that froot is good for you.

Ok that SERIOUSLY made me LOL.

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    New-French-Toast-Crunch-Box.jpg
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    AdBlock Plus. I didn't even realized MFP had started accepting ads until I saw it mentioned in a few threads.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I'll do you one better...

Crush cinnamon toast crunch and spread in a pie plate. Get a small ice cream scoop or melon baller and scoop vanilla ice cream, then roll in the cereal mixture. Put the scoops in a cupcake liner in a muffin tin, stick in freezer to harden. Serve with drizzled caramel sauce over it.

Tastes like fried ice cream.

You're welcome.

Got to try this.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Or you can call Google and complain.

Or you can be a total geek like me and learn how to edit your hosts file (Windows only, I believe) and you'll never see another ad anywhere ever again.

:smiley:
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've had days when the ads on MFP are for the new KFC doubledowns - luckily I'm not tempted
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I don't browse cereal sites. High sugar cereals is not a good way to lose weight. Sugar is not very healthy for anyone. Sugar substitutes are worst.

Lol.