Calorie Counting 101

Options

Replies

• Janice4945
    Janice4945 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post. I thought I was correctly tracking but realize now I need to weigh my TBSP of peanut butter and other items like oatmeal. New concept for me but maybe this is why I lose so slowly!!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    abv.gif?m=1309298033

Bumping over the derpline, and borrowing a .Hack gif, too.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have a question. If I search "baked chicken" I can find a ked chicken, does the serving size pertain to baked chicken before it's baked (raw) or does it pertain to actually baker chicken???
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have a question. If I search "baked chicken" I can find a ked chicken, does the serving size pertain to baked chicken before it's baked (raw) or does it pertain to actually baker chicken???
    An entry for baked chicken "should" be for the weight post baking. Because many variables can effect the weight, and since the database isn't perfect, I prefer to find a value for raw meat and weigh the meat before cooking.
  • MDePew24
    MDePew24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Day 8 and I'm down 10 pounds. Very strict on my counting. Motivating to see results.
  • MBGoot
    MBGoot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    An entry for baked chicken "should" be for the weight post baking. Because many variables can effect the weight, and since the database isn't perfect, I prefer to find a value for raw meat and weigh the meat before cooking.

I so agree. Weighing raw makes things alot easier. For example, we could be adding toppings to the a chicken breast before cooking. After cooking you are not going to get the true weight of that chicken with the toppings on it. Best thread here.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jdelaineo
    jdelaineo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carole4000
    carole4000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great info - my scales are well used!
  • Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That's for all your tips. I started just over a month ago and I have been estimating so far, and it has worked. Although, I did figure eventually I would have to buy the scale.

I am very lucky as my wife has joined me on the get more healthy/lose weight journey and sometimes she cooks instead of me but we plot out every ingredient and diligently make up a recipe entry so we can be more accurate. We are doing something right because as of this morning I am down another pound!
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ok so say you make cabbage or something like that, and you add maybe 2 tsp of butter..how would you log that if you only getting a portion of the cabbage which contains some of the butter?
  • vismal
    Options
    Ok so say you make cabbage or something like that, and you add maybe 2 tsp of butter..how would you log that if you only getting a portion of the cabbage which contains some of the butter?
    Two ways to handle it. If you are okay with being a little off, figure out what percentage of the cabbage you ate, and then input that percentage of the butter. If you are having lots of issues with not losing weight and must be as accurate as possible, add your own butter to your own portion then add whatever you want to the rest of it that you won't be eating. Under normal circumstances the first option should be more then fine.
  • Gyllain
    Gyllain Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Bumping for Friday
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Two ways to handle it. If you are okay with being a little off, figure out what percentage of the cabbage you ate, and then input that percentage of the butter. If you are having lots of issues with not losing weight and must be as accurate as possible, add your own butter to your own portion then add whatever you want to the rest of it that you won't be eating. Under normal circumstances the first option should be more then fine.
    Ok that makes sense! Thank you!!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me. Just a little bump.

giphy.gif
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Etekcity scale arrived.

Thing is awesome...

Seems almost silly to attempt good food logging without one. $21 off Amazon

Giggity
  • rnasm
    rnasm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Calorie Counting 101

Dining out: If you want to be 100% accurate you can bring a scale to a restaurant. [

I couldn't even imagine how embarrassing it would be for my friends and family if I started lugging my food scale with me into restaurants. The day I start doing this is the day I realize that this healthy eating plan gone too far.

I use this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-TriScale-Compact-Folding-Digital/dp/B0091QO41U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436381549&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale+joseph+joseph
    I just place it under the bread plate, zero it with the plate on top, when I get my meal I simply move each food type to it as I eat it to weigh it. Very smooth and unobtrusive process :wink:
  • vismal
    Options
    Don't mind me. Just a little bump.

Lol_adventure_time_gunther_reaction_gif.gif
    Love that show!