How do other working mom's do it...find time?

Replies

• jess_9981
    jess_9981 Posts: 42 Member
    Yes, I also find time when I can. When I'm MIA at work, my boss sends out the hound dogs.......LOL!

10 min. workouts, gotta look up. Great idea!

Thank you.
    Uniqlove wrote: »
    A colleague of mine said she finds time when she can. She knows she wants to get it done each day so she figures it out and goes with the flow. She has three kids (2, 5, 8). She does Piyo at home whenever she can fit it in.

I have a one yr old. I really don't want to wake up earlier then I already have to. I started to make some freezer meals/crock pot meals to make dinner go by faster. So just this week, I started walking with my LO after work. So far it seems to work.

Also, there are tons of 10 minute workout videos on youtube that you can use and try to do 3 a day at various times.

I'm still trying to figure out which resource will work best with my schedule and personality. There are also other folks that rely on the babysitter at their local gym too.

• jess_9981
    That is another problem as well..........my diet. I'm trying to stay within my calorie count.......I did better this week than last, I hope it's even better next week.

Thank you wolfman!

cwolfman13 wrote: »
    jess_9981 wrote: »
    Hello, my name is Jess. I'm looking for other working mom's so we can motivate each other. I'm struggling over here and I really want to lose around 15 lbs. by Sept./Oct. I have a 9 year old and a 5 month old. My husband helps out a lot at home, and I still find myself struggling to find time to exercise. MOM'S LET HELP EACH OTHER OUT!

keep in mind that weight management is largely about your diet, not what exercise you are doing. exercise is great for fitness and your overall health and well being and you should try to get it in when you can...but losing weight, maintaining weight, and even gaining weight (that is some people's goal) happens in the kitchen.

I cycle about 80 miles per week and lift weights a few nights per week and do a bit of hiking and swimming. I've lost weight doing all this stuff, maintained weight doing all this stuff, and deliberately gained weight doing all of this stuff...the difference between the three weight management goals wasn't the exercise, it was my diet.

keep your diet in check first and foremost and exercise where you can...diet for weight management, fitness for the sake of fitness.

• jess_9981
    Let me start off by saying..........I wish I was off for the summer............YOU'RE SO LUCKY!

You stay pretty busy as well. I need to come up with a routine that works with our schedules.

Have a great summer!
    I've got a 6 year old, 4 year old and 13 month old. I've been back at work since April and I'm finding it much harder now. We can take a year for maternity leave in England, which is great. My husband does shift work so it was easy to fit my gym sessions round that while I wasn't at work.

I work 3 days a week. I get to work before 8, and on a Mon I leave around 3:30 (I'm a teacher) but Tues and Wed we have meetings after work so I'm stuck there until 5. On my husband's early shift week it's fine as he collects our eldest from school, and I collect our daughters from nursery after work, then I can exercise later on. I usually do a circuits class at 7:30pm on a Wed. On my days off it's no problem as I wait until hubby is home, or I use the gym crèche.

When hubby is on late shift I usually do a PT session at my gym on a Mon at 4pm. It's a rush though as I rush from work, then after PT I collect my son from after school club, then go to nursery for my daughters. Then when we're home I have to get dinner, bath them, do bedtime etc. Tues and Wed I can't exercise at all as I have to collect my kids by 6pm. Thurs and Fri are my days off so I exercise in the mornings.

The hardest thing is my eating. While I was on maternity leave it was so easy, but if I'm not home until 5:45pm and I'm on my own with 3 kids I don't have much time, so I usually resort to quick cook pasta or even ready meals, which I used to hate. I also have to try to remember to prepare something healthy for work the next day.

We finish for the Summer holidays on July 22nd and I can't wait :). This is when I love being a teacher lol.

• jess_9981
    Thanks to each and every one of you that replied to my post. You'll gave me some wonderful advice. I wrote this bc I wanted to know how other working mom's do it......it's tough, but I know it can be done....

Working mom's please add me, because I need the support!

Thanks again!
  • Hjones2889
    Hjones2889 Posts: 94 Member
    My daily schedule(M-F)

4:30 a.m. - 5:00 a.m. Feed baby
    5:00 a.m. - 5:30 a.m. Get hubby's lunch ready(heat up,coffee,etc.)
    5:30 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. Shower, get last min. things ready(try to do the day before), get dressed, etc.
    7:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. - Drop kids off with sitter
    8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - While I'm at work, I try to do lil walks. I walk up/down stairs for 10 mins. during lunch break, or take a walk....only got 30 mins. I can't always be away from my desk, so I wait til lunch.
    4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. - Pick up kids
    5:50 p.m. - 6:50 p.m. - Swimming lessons - will finish soon
    6:50 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. - Head home
    7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. - Cook, eat, bath lil one, clean, etc.
    8:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. - Put kids to sleep
    9:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. - Try to get last min. stuff ready for next day
    10:00 p.m. - 4:30 a.m. - Try to get some sleep

Maybe if you and your husband switch everyother day with this task u can get an hour exercise in before you put the kiddos to bed..
  • Hjones2889
    Hjones2889 Posts: 94 Member
    or half hour, just while he cooks.. so you can eat as a family still
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Its tough, but I just have to workout before work. 5am comes early, but once its over I feel so much better physically and mentally. Just remember weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Focus on sticking to your calorie daily goals and you will still lose even if you cant get a workout in every day.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    set up the coffee at night, so that way in the morning all you have to do is press a button, and even less if you have an automatic coffee pot.

do a lot of bulk cooking and preparing. throw in 2-3 lbs of chicken breast and some seasoning and you have shredded chicken for multiple meals. i tend to cook in bulk a lot and every so often we can go a week without actually having to cook a meal.

same can be done with breakfasts and lunches. there are ways to save yourself time. and if you can find ways to save yourself some time in the morning, you can have that time from 5am to 730am to get your workout in.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    My wife and I trade off mornings and nights. She gets up at 4 to do TRX and goes to work from 7-3:30. I have the morning routine with the kids and work 8-5, then I workout after and get home around 7-8. She picks up the kids after work and we take care of business (swimming, gymnastics, etc.), then we team up getting them ready for bed.

Our kids are 7, 5, and 1. The older kids are now taking care of themselves for the most part (we trust but verify) and have chores to help out. We just increased responsibilities for the older kids and have them helping out more every month. You have a 9 year old - how are they helping out?
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    I'm fortunate that my gym does have daycare service and I feel okay leaving my son there for an hour or so, but his dad is always there for us so I tend to drop him with his dad after work so I can get my workout in then hustle home and cook, eat, clean up, bath and bedtime... its hard. I have help and its hard...

It took a few months for me, I felt really guilty spending an hour every day on myself. After I started feeling my weight loss, and found classes that I enjoy it was more fun. I didn't spend the whole hour thinking about my child and how I wasn't with him... I started thinking about what MORE I'll be able to do with him now that I am happier and more healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    My daily schedule(M-F)

5:30 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. Shower, get last min. things ready(try to do the day before), get dressed, etc.
    8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - While I'm at work, I try to do lil walks. I walk up/down stairs for 10 mins. during lunch break, or take a walk....only got 30 mins. I can't always be away from my desk, so I wait til lunch.

Hubby can make his own lunch prior the night before. That half hour is enough for exercise and you could extend it as well since from 5:30 to 7:00 is a an hour and a half.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    urloved33 wrote: »
    my kids grew up in a gym. great environment to live grow learn be healthy
    My DD did too. Started at 3 months and will be 11 this month. She LOVES going to the gym because she gets to interact with others and do some kid fitness daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Let me start off by saying..........I wish I was off for the summer............YOU'RE SO LUCKY!

You stay pretty busy as well. I need to come up with a routine that works with our schedules.

Have a great summer!
    I've got a 6 year old, 4 year old and 13 month old. I've been back at work since April and I'm finding it much harder now. We can take a year for maternity leave in England, which is great. My husband does shift work so it was easy to fit my gym sessions round that while I wasn't at work.

I work 3 days a week. I get to work before 8, and on a Mon I leave around 3:30 (I'm a teacher) but Tues and Wed we have meetings after work so I'm stuck there until 5. On my husband's early shift week it's fine as he collects our eldest from school, and I collect our daughters from nursery after work, then I can exercise later on. I usually do a circuits class at 7:30pm on a Wed. On my days off it's no problem as I wait until hubby is home, or I use the gym crèche.

When hubby is on late shift I usually do a PT session at my gym on a Mon at 4pm. It's a rush though as I rush from work, then after PT I collect my son from after school club, then go to nursery for my daughters. Then when we're home I have to get dinner, bath them, do bedtime etc. Tues and Wed I can't exercise at all as I have to collect my kids by 6pm. Thurs and Fri are my days off so I exercise in the mornings.

The hardest thing is my eating. While I was on maternity leave it was so easy, but if I'm not home until 5:45pm and I'm on my own with 3 kids I don't have much time, so I usually resort to quick cook pasta or even ready meals, which I used to hate. I also have to try to remember to prepare something healthy for work the next day.

We finish for the Summer holidays on July 22nd and I can't wait :). This is when I love being a teacher lol.

Yes, I am lucky, but teaching is a crazy, stressful job, teaching teenagers with attitude, the planning, the marking, the paperwork, dealing with parents etc. believe me, I need this Summer off :)
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    I commute to work by bike and go for jogs during my lunch break. During the weekend, I commute by bike only with kids in the bike trailer. I pop in short workout videos (20-30 minutes max) when all else fails and do it right when I'm back from work before dinner.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    My daily schedule(M-F)

I'm not seeing where you husband is helping that much. I generally have all the morning duties so she can get to work early and take a long lunch to work out. She does most of the evenings duties so I can do something after work. We cook dinner on the weekends and reheat during the week.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old and work full time with a killer commute. Like a lot of the other moms, I exercise at work. But we have an onsite gym. The days that I can't get exercise at work I ask my husband to deal with bedtimes or I go right after the kids go to bed, which is usually around 9pm. Then I get my shower at night. Makes my morning run so much smoother.

Don't be afraid to ask your hubby for help. It never occurred to me after my 2nd that things would be exponentially harder. Things I handled fairly easily like lunch packing and meal preparation became sheer time consuming drudgery. I needed an assist and he was more than capable. Sometimes we don't give our men enough credit. They are stronger than we think they are.

You can also save a ton of time and screaming by ordering things online. Seriously, I order my groceries online and have them delivered. It runs me about $20 for that but that is an hour I get back that I can spend in the gym. I dont take kids to stores unless we have an immediate need.

For meals, the crockpot is your friend. Check out www.skinnytaste.com. I love her crockpot recipes and if they require the addition of a homemade sauce, I make that at night so I can just dump it in with the meat in the morning (or tell hubby to do so). Grilling is also a very fast meal prep method, leaves few dishes, and tends to be pretty healthy.

Feel free to add me. Most of my friends on here are moms too. We all have the same struggle.
  • jess_9981
    I don't put him to help out as much, but he does from time to time. Guess, I better have him help out more.
    Thank you! :smile:

CSARdiver wrote: »
    My wife and I trade off mornings and nights. She gets up at 4 to do TRX and goes to work from 7-3:30. I have the morning routine with the kids and work 8-5, then I workout after and get home around 7-8. She picks up the kids after work and we take care of business (swimming, gymnastics, etc.), then we team up getting them ready for bed.

Our kids are 7, 5, and 1. The older kids are now taking care of themselves for the most part (we trust but verify) and have chores to help out. We just increased responsibilities for the older kids and have them helping out more every month. You have a 9 year old - how are they helping out?

• jess_9981
    Exactly, Chelsy.........I have help and its hard..........Believe me, I'm determined, so I will get it! I'm starting off slow, and will eventually get it together.
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    I'm fortunate that my gym does have daycare service and I feel okay leaving my son there for an hour or so, but his dad is always there for us so I tend to drop him with his dad after work so I can get my workout in then hustle home and cook, eat, clean up, bath and bedtime... its hard. I have help and its hard...

It took a few months for me, I felt really guilty spending an hour every day on myself. After I started feeling my weight loss, and found classes that I enjoy it was more fun. I didn't spend the whole hour thinking about my child and how I wasn't with him... I started thinking about what MORE I'll be able to do with him now that I am happier and more healthy.

• jess_9981
    Capt_Apollo.........great, great, ideas......Lovem'

Thank you, Sir!
    set up the coffee at night, so that way in the morning all you have to do is press a button, and even less if you have an automatic coffee pot.

do a lot of bulk cooking and preparing. throw in 2-3 lbs of chicken breast and some seasoning and you have shredded chicken for multiple meals. i tend to cook in bulk a lot and every so often we can go a week without actually having to cook a meal.

same can be done with breakfasts and lunches. there are ways to save yourself time. and if you can find ways to save yourself some time in the morning, you can have that time from 5am to 730am to get your workout in.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I don't put him to help out as much, but he does from time to time. Guess, I better have him help out more.
    Thank you! :smile:

CSARdiver wrote: »

Men love to be the hero, so set this up for success. Give him a situation he can complete and problem solve, but as in all cases - you can either ask that something gets done, or you can decide how it gets done - you don't get to do both.

Best of luck to you!