Why losing weight feels so effortless for me this time around.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Congrats!

I wish it were effortless for me! Maybe one day. :)
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    terar21 wrote: »
    Great post :)

I only slightly disagree number 2. Not because it can't work, but because we see so many people that get angry/frustrated and quit when they focus on exercise first but place their diet on the back burner.

I get what you're saying, but in my personal experience, making it a habit to exercise 3-5 times a week seemed easier/more appealing in the beginning. Once that became a habit for me, focusing on improving my eating habits came easily. I find that a few of my real life friends (who are actively trying to lose weight) struggle with changing their food habits. I think unrealistic expectations are at fault in both of our examples. Adding exercise first shouldn't be the first and last step (I'm assuming that that's why some people are getting frustrated), that is true.... but it can sound more appealing than weighing and tracking all of your food first. Annnd I'm done rambling. :smile:
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Love this post! It's so important to recognize the importance of your own journey & the fact that it won't look the same as anyone else's. I started mine Jan 2014 & wanted to lose 50lbs by Dec 2014. It was doable & realistic technically, but I realized quickly that I couldn't force it. Instead, it has taken me a year & a half to lose 30lbs. You have to do you and take your time with it, figuring out what works for you and what doesn't. Keep track of your emotional & mental health & take breaks when necessary. Do what you need to do, be realistic, & enjoy the journey!
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    yep, idk how many times i had binge guilt. it was an emotional ride but ive stopped because I found a way to enjoy what I eat, which is eating whatever I want without guilt and filling myself with good nutrition to make me feel good. Once I felt my life turned around, I didn't want to go back, I took control back
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    I kind of get where you're coming from on #2. It depends on the person, though, which I acknowledge fully. Moving can help with a sense of pride and accomplishment, it can decrease stress, and it can help with circulation and muscle problems. Plus, it obviously helped you in your journey and that's awesome!

My only concern is when super-heavy people or those inexperienced with exercise try to move too hard and too fast too soon. That can lead to injury. Once more, if this is all they're doing to lose weight, they might be a bit disappointed and lose their motivation when the scale jumps down on that first week (when the glycogen spill happens) and then doesn't budge.

The rest of the post is very strong. And admittedly, some of these are lessons I've only recently learned after a lifetime of trying to lose. I particularly liked your inclusion of #6. Some times, weight loss is more about what's going on in the head than it is about what's going on in the body.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    I 100% agree with this post. It makes me feel good because this is how I've been feeling. The obsessive feeling is gone and replaced by appreciation: for my body, for my own strength and fortitude, and for good, satisfying food!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    terar21 wrote: »
    Great post :)

I only slightly disagree number 2. Not because it can't work, but because we see so many people that get angry/frustrated and quit when they focus on exercise first but place their diet on the back burner.

I get what you're saying, but in my personal experience, making it a habit to exercise 3-5 times a week seemed easier/more appealing in the beginning. Once that became a habit for me, focusing on improving my eating habits came easily. I find that a few of my real life friends (who are actively trying to lose weight) struggle with changing their food habits. I think unrealistic expectations are at fault in both of our examples. Adding exercise first shouldn't be the first and last step (I'm assuming that that's why some people are getting frustrated), that is true.... but it can sound more appealing than weighing and tracking all of your food first. Annnd I'm done rambling. :smile:

I want different foods when I exercise regularly. I don't know if this is because exercise puts me more in touch with what my body really wants or if there is an actual change. When I pay attention, the foods I want are those that help me eat at a deficit.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    I have been losing 1-2 pounds a week since March 8th. Started on MFP in May. I was expecting weight loss to be so much more difficult than it has been. I think it is because my head and heart are in the right place this time. I keep waiting for the hard part to hit, the plateau, the days when I go to bed hungry, etc. but it hasn't happened. I am really after health benefits this time and appearance is just a bonus. Thanks for the post and I hope for a continuing ease in your journey.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Nice post OP....... <3

I wish I could have those insights when I first started, it would have made life so much the easier.

Well done and I wish you continued success.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    This topic's OP is a beautiful thing. <3 Bookmarked.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited July 2015
    Awesomeness!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    cvehon wrote: »
    Love this post! I am focusing on ADDING things into my diet this time around as opposed to DEPRIVING myself. Getting to try new foods is exciting, and feel like hitting the jackpot when I find a new food I like. I am looking at weight loss as a side effect of my new lifestyle as opposed to the goal. Way to keep it positive!

I cosign the OP, and I agree with the advice to add more things instead of depriving yourself. It's a lot easier to focus on trying new fruit/fish/vegetables/beans/snacks than it is to say "I can't have ________ very often." Moderation is much easier when you have this mindset.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    @elleelise, you are super cool. Thank you for such a detailed and thoughtful post. :)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I feel the same!! I'm also a former yo-yo dieter and binge eater. I had pretty much given up on ever being able to lose the weight. I've lost 50 pounds now and I can't believe how easy it's been! I always thought I had to be miserable to lose weight and that's just not been the case for me.
  • lschifko314
    lschifko314 Posts: 25 Member
    I love number one definitly need to change my self loathing to love again
    Thank you for your courage to post this!
  • emmalee22
    emmalee22 Posts: 1 Member
    I love #5 :) Great post
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Love all of it. Thank you
  • elleelise
    elleelise Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2015
    I am so happy this resonates with some of you! And thanks to everyone for contributing positivity.

And I knew I would get a little pushback about what I said in #2 (beginning with movement), however in my own journey I found that focusing solely on my body's size in the past (i.e. reducing calories) was ultimately not a strong enough motivator and didn't provide me with results or those feel good chemicals to keep me feeling inspired. However, being strong and fit, being able to lift higher loads, starting to run, being able to do a full wheel in yoga this week (!), being the largest, strongest and most flexible woman in yoga and Pilates each week, and having WAY more energetic sex (hello!) are tangible "non scale" and non body-size related victories and achievements that feel so much greater to me than the scale showing a .9 pound loss at the end of the week. I am obviously attempting to reduce my body size, but for me, movement and daily activity is a massive part of my motivation and I have seen dramatic internal and physical results from doing so. Just my two cents.

Those feel good chemicals also help you feel happier and more positive, not to mention energetic, thus contributing to a better weight loss journey. I am ALL about movement at every size.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    That is a SOLID post, OP.... well done!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    elleelise wrote: »
    I am so happy this resonates with some of you! And thanks to everyone for contributing positivity.

And I knew I would get a little pushback about what I said in #2 (beginning with movement), however in my own journey I found that focusing solely on my body's size in the past (i.e. reducing calories) was ultimately not a strong enough motivator and didn't provide me with results or those feel good chemicals to keep me feeling inspired. However, being strong and fit, being able to lift higher loads, starting to run, being able to do a full wheel in yoga this week (!), being the largest, strongest and most flexible woman in yoga and Pilates each week, and having WAY more energetic sex (hello!) are tangible "non scale" and non body-size related victories and achievements that feel so much greater to me than the scale showing a .9 pound loss at the end of the week. I am obviously attempting to reduce my body size, but for me, movement and daily activity is a massive part of my motivation and I have seen dramatic internal and physical results from doing so. Just my two cents.

Those feel good chemicals also help you feel happier and more positive, not to mention energetic, thus contributing to a better weight loss journey. I am ALL about movement at every size.

Hooray for Wheel! It's been about 11 years since I did that. Working towards getting back to being able to do my full two hour yoga routine is a motivator for me. In fact, signing off now to do some yoga - thanks for the inspiration :)