Love the Idea of losing weight but can't get myself to sacrafice for it

Options
13»

Replies

• sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    shennin001 wrote: »
    I'm 28yrs and need to lose about 70-80lbs. I'm currently 230lbs and 5'5. I had a baby 3 months ago and was already 209lbs when i got prego. I day dream of how beautiful and great it's going to be when i lose weight, but i can't get myself to even do 2 days straight without cheating. I know i can do this it's just so hard to start. Would love to know who's out there that's already past this stage or is like me and just getting started.

I started where you are, 5'4, 233lbs. I am down 11.5 and it has been about a month since I started. Add me as a friend if you like. Logging food helps, being accountable to myself was a big motivator for me, as was adding a few friends on MFP. I eat foods that are not good for me on occasion and just make sure they fit in my calorie allotment for the day or the week. I don't think it is great to start off in the headspace of a diet because psychologically it makes you feel like you can't have things, which if you are anything like me, you then want. I think of it more as ok, these are all the things I can have, and that does include occasional treats.

Once you get going with it you might also find yourself getting much pickier about your snacks. My husband had chocolate chip brownie bites on the counter today and asked if I wanted some or if he could eat them all, I took one look at them and decided I wanted to spend my calories on something that I would enjoy more, before I likely would have eaten them just because.

You can do it, but the right headspace will go a long way. Don't think of all the things you can't have, think about all the things you can have, like a smaller waist, more muscles, more energy, a longer life with your family. That is what keeps me going.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how many people exercise off calories to make room for favorites. I finished up 12,000 steps a little while ago to have 200 left on the day

I agree with many others. It is simple and you have to be willing to do some work.

But it is a tougher life being fat. So I keep working my way to goal
  • ArizonaToast
    ArizonaToast Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you are coming from. It's really hard to be at the beginning with (what seems like) so much weight to lose and knowing it could take an entire year to reach your goal. I have found that when I give in to fast food, ordering small sizes of everything helps with my calorie budget. Take it one day/hour/minute at a time. When you don't do it perfectly, forgive yourself and try again.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It took a health scare and a major kick in the pants to get me to take weight loss seriously. I consider my eating and exercise mandatory like brushing my teeth and going to work every day.

Why do I brush my teeth daily? Well I do because I don't my teeth to rot and be painful and look gross and I don't want bad breath.

Why do I eat within my calories, get proper nutrition, and exercise?

Well I don't want to have obesity related health problems, like HBP, Type II Diabetes, heart attack, not being able to move around easily, etc. I don't want to deliberately harm myself by continuing to shove too much food in my mouth.

Coddling didn't work for me. Harsh reality did.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Been where you are now, MANY times. Yo Yo dieter here, managed to lose and then regained what I lost and more
    You have age on your side, I finally got my act together (this time around) after age 50 (also weighed 45 lbs more than you, and I'm 5'5.5"). I got my wake up call after getting diagnosed with Type 2 DM.

I have not really cut out any food, I still eat out, eat junk food, am a chocoholic and I do not have cheat meals, cheat days, cheat anythings. I fit what I want to eat in my daily menu and plan the day around it. I pre plan/pre log my meals and make sure I have enough calories in snacks so I can adjust thru the day if my menu changes or I have some grip loss and raid the pantry.

Once you get your mindset where it needs to be, you can do it but no one can get you to that point.
    Do it one day, one pound, one step at a time. String a few good days in a row, get to see the scale drop....that is what did it for me.

I'm 28yrs and need to lose about 70-80lbs. I'm currently 230lbs and 5'5. I had a baby 3 months ago and was already 209lbs when i got prego. I day dream of how beautiful and great it's going to be when i lose weight, but i can't get myself to even do 2 days straight without cheating. I know i can do this it's just so hard to start. Would love to know who's out there that's already past this stage or is like me and just getting started.

• VisionBoardCoach
    VisionBoardCoach Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I get it, it takes being invested. I had to take a really good look at myself in the mirror ...in my underwear.. yep, it was brutal. Then....well I'm a life coach, who works with vision boards, so to muster the desire to invest, I created a vision board for weight loss myself. It's actually worked quite well... I'm 20 pounds down. I also looked into other programs and decided on Jenny Craig, and Melaleuca has great products that have helped me too. Good luck to you!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Picture your newborn as a 7 year old you can't keep up with because you've gained even more weight? Picture your teenagers worried about their overweight mom as she approaches middle age? Imagine how many lost opportunities you may face in life - things you could not do or choose not to do because of weight and health? Imagine what your retirement will be like?

2 days is nothing. Pick a reasonable calorie deficit target - make it a small deficit to start with if you must - and start logging and promise yourself you'll keep going.

What you really need to do is make a commitment to yourself and stick with that commitment. Do it for yourself first and foremost but keep in mind all the positives you as a healthy and fit mom will bring your child(ren) as they grow up.

Managing "cheating" is another issue. Right now you need to be absolutely sure you've committed to do this. You can. Thousands upon thousands here have. It need not take forever. You will see results sooner than you can imagine at this point and if you also adopt a healthy lifestyle and fitness program you'll become quite fit long before you get to your goal weight and will feel great.

There's nothing to lose by making that first step and committing. Do it for yourself and do it now.

Or, in short, what he says:
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Nothing is going to change until you change.

Good luck!

:drinker:

:+1:

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You pretty much just need to get your mind in the right place to really get started with it. You need to want it more than anything. It also takes 5 weeks to form a habit, but for me I feel like after doing it for a month or two it got easier. Now I'm almost 6 months into it and the progress I've made is motivating for me and I'm very happy that I stuck with it. Its worth the time and effort, you just need to convince yourself that your worth it.
  • Charles1964
    Charles1964 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started on my diet back on 2/22/15.I'm diabetic.I was a hugh carb eater.My blood sugar was through the roof.I watch my carbs theses days.I no longer have that starving feeling.I eat 4 small meals a day.I've lost 84 pounds as to date.I know in time I'll reach my goal.I'll never let myself go back to the pizza and cookies.
  • mwyvr
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I started on my diet back on 2/22/15.I'm diabetic.I was a hugh carb eater.My blood sugar was through the roof.I watch my carbs theses days.I no longer have that starving feeling.I eat 4 small meals a day.I've lost 84 pounds as to date.I know in time I'll reach my goal.I'll never let myself go back to the pizza and cookies.

@Charles1964 your story is an inspiration. You decided to do something and in remarkably short order you've made significant progress. Way. To. Go. :smiley:
  • shennin001
    shennin001 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wow so many great stories and advices. Thanks to all for commenting. I have read all the comments, i promise. I just can't reply to them all, but pretty much all of them have been great and motivational. I hope to one day be writing my success story.

Love the comments keep them coming.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You know that Nike ad line: "Just Do It"? Don't go through an internal talk with yourself, because your heart that wants the yummy extra food will outtalk your logical brain that knows you just gotta start and continue. Any time you start thinking through things, the slim gal in you will lose the argument. Same with exercise, as soon as it passes through your mind ("I really should go for a walk", or whatever) get up and do it. That will not give your heart time to say, "Hey, wait a minute, wouldn't it be nice just to sit here on the couch and relax?"
    Works for me. Overcome the inertia, you can do it! Like @vixtris said.
  • mwyvr
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wow so many great stories and advices. [...] I hope to one day be writing my success story. Love the comments keep them coming.

If you just start - why not right now - you WILL be writing your own success story, it's that plain and simple.

Some of us don't start because we fear we'll fail, but that of course is nonsense because failure is guaranteed if we never start.

Some of us don't start because we fear that it will "take a long time", but that of course is nonsense because of course it will take a while to lose weight that, for most of us, took many years to accumulate. The good news is that it will take far less time to lose it.

As Charles' story makes clear, we can make a lot of progress in a relatively short amount of time, no matter how heavy we have become. Many of us here have other stories. I've lost 72 pounds since September last year. After years of gaining and worrying about failure or how long it would take (yes, that was me) I finally had an aha moment that scared me... and I realized that I want to be around a long time to finish seeing my children grow up and retire healthy with my wife and enjoy ourselves. Truth be told, losing the first 40 or 50 pounds was easy. Yes, easy. The rest isn't proving terribly difficult, I'm simply having to optimize what I do a little to accommodate my weight loss and fitness objectives at the same time.

All I had to do was start... and I've not looked back not once. Success has a way of encouraging more success.

Your story might be the same, but you won't know until you start.

• cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus on what you are sacrificing by continue to lead an unhealthy lifestyle.

I would certainly prefer to make changes to my lifestyle than sacrifice my health or sacrifice time that I could spend with my child by dying prematurely.

You have a child now, you owe it to them. You need to be as healthy as possible to provide for your child as long as possible. You need to be healthy to set a positive example for your child so they don't end up being sucked into the cycle of obesity themselves.

You need to make changes to lose weight, but you don't actually have to sacrifice much at all. You can still enjoy the foods you like, in moderation. If you enjoy doing things like watching television shows, maximise the use of your time and exercise during the program.

I have not had to stop doing anything I enjoyed to lose weight. It's about making better decisions.

You just have to toughen up and make it happen.
    You are so right. We are a community who are basically trying to achieve the same goals and I see your comments as the tough love we sometimes need to get us to pick up and get on with it. I think shennin001 is probably a bit bogged down with baby stuff and that can make the focus she needs to lose weight a little harder to achieve. I'm sure she will get there with the help of mfp.