Favorite Clean Eating Recipes

Options

Replies

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Boy people get real mad about that term. In my opinion it means meals created from whole foods rather than processed items that might contain items like corn syrup or other delicious but unhealthy if consumed a lot items. Marshmallow fluff would be not clean eating but an apple would.

Darn, I guess I have to burn my "101 Things To Do With Marshmallow Fluff" cook book then.

I wonder if it's okay if you make the marshmallows and then the fluff from scratch?

There's actually an entire cookbook devoted to marshmallows that I found when I searched for the history of the marshmallow/sweet potato dish during another discussion (it and cooking with marshmallows was super popular in the early 1900s, apparently).

Here are some recipes from epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com/archive/howtocook/primers/marshmallows

So "clean" or not? Luckily, I do not care.

;-)
    I've made marshmallows from actual marshmallow root! This is a marshmallow:
    hs0mkjfbakqe.jpg

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    What are your favorite clean eating recipes?? Looking for new ideas =)

I also make a huge tray of roasted veg to last me 2-3 days and keep this in the fridge for snacks/sandwiches/wraps/ pasta etc.

What roasted veggies do best/taste ok still day 2.. they look horrific after day 1 to me.

They do look a little shriveled the next day but roasted is my favorite way to eat them. I roast everything...peppers, potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower carrots...if it is a veggie...I roast it.

• Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You can roast brassicas? I had no idea. Better than steamed?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    @furbuster I assume we are talking cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts???

I have never cared for steamed vegetables...something about the texture. So yes to me roasted is better than steamed. I like the hint of caramelization that roasting gives.

My favorite...roasted brussel sprouts. I roast them till they char a bit.
  • Furbuster
    Options
    Good-oh. I'll be trying that = less effort. Cheers :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Boy people get real mad about that term. In my opinion it means meals created from whole foods rather than processed items that might contain items like corn syrup or other delicious but unhealthy if consumed a lot items. Marshmallow fluff would be not clean eating but an apple would.

Everyone knows what clean eating means. Some just hate the term and like to argue the point ;)
    No, we don't. What I consider "clean" isn't the same as yours though there would be similar ideologies. I consider my wheat bread, Swiss cheese, peanut butter, and cucumber sammich "clean" while many would not because 3 out of 4 items are "processed", from a package, have more than 1 ingredient, have HFCS and/or other "I can't pronounce it" chemicals.

Since you know what "clean eating" means, please post the definition and clear it up for the rest of the class.
    owzvz94n7bqc.gif

I don't follow clean eating. But to me, it means fresh whole foods, no biscuits, chips, junk food or take away etc etc
    This is what it seems to mean to 99% of the posters who post here.But I have yet to see one who follows it 100% of the time though.
    It's a nice idea, but honestly would be far too difficult to follow for each and every meal, every single day...

I've only ever met one person who I'd class as a clean eater. Everything she ate came fresh off the farm. She made everything from scratch, such as flour, bread etc and if she couldn't, she didn't eat it.
    my mum also followed it briefly when my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Our house looked like an organic fresh foods market! And no, it didn't save him..

• Furbuster
    Options
    Cribbed off a website "Clean eating is a deceptively simple concept. Rather than revolving around the idea of ingesting more or less of specific things (for instance, fewer calories or more protein), the idea is more about being mindful of the food's pathway between its origin and your plate. At its simplest, clean eating is about eating whole foods, or "real" foods — those that are un- or minimally processed, refined, and handled, making them as close to their natural form as possible. However, modern food production has become so sophisticated that simply eating whole foods can be a challenging proposition these days."

That's pretty much how I see it. I'm not into dictionary definitions and rules - it's a general term for a way of eating. I don't have a problem with it and I enjoy it.

There can be other words for this way of eating but I choose the word clean because it fits nicely *for me*. Seriously no biggie.

Anyway that aside someone mentioned mayo? I make this a lot (minus the vinegar as it's too strong for my taste) and my whole family, including my carnivore Dad loves it.

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/4227758-Grapeseed-Mayonnaise
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    However, modern food production has become so sophisticated that simply eating whole foods can be a challenging proposition these days."

This isn't true at all. Eating whole foods is completely simple.

The issue is whether there's a reason to avoid more convenient options if they make it easier for you to eat lower calorie or healthy. For example, when I'm not getting spinach from the farm I have a CSA with, I typically buy the bagged kind, and same with kale and same with arugula. When I buy at the green market I seek out the places with pre-washed, bagged greens. I do this because I know it increases the ease of using them and thus the chance I will. Same with baby carrots.

To make the perfect the enemy of the good and say it's not worth getting veggies unless they are completely unprocessed (while still getting out of season veggies much of the time) seems to me a bad idea.

Another poster was told she should not do fruit cups, but I can see why a fruit cup might make it more likely someone would eat fruit than requiring that you buy whole melons and cut them up, say.

If you don't yet like plain yogurt but do like flavored greek yogurt and it fits in your macros, why define it as "bad"?

I find smoked salmon (which is processed, including with a bit of sugar) a delicious addition to breakfast or a pasta dish and it helps me meet my macros, what's wrong with that?

Tomatoes out of season are tasteless (IMO), and a pain to peel and seed, whereas there are high quality canned tomatoes available, what's wrong with them?

There are good premade breads available and not everyone has the time to bake bread or the interest.

Same with pasta (and many traditional Italian dishes are better with dried pasta -- see the cookbook I referenced above).

Same with canned beans--I prefer dried, but for many kinds the time difference is huge and including more beans in your diet is usually healthy. Same for tinned and frozen fish and frozen veggies.

I could go on.

On the whole I often prefer whole foods (and could eat all whole foods if I thought there was a reason to) but this idea that it's necessarily beneficial is wrong. AND the idea that it's difficult is wrong.

That said, I still have no idea what it means (no sugar, no flour? are those "whole foods" or not, as they are obviously highly processed yet you can bake with them at home) and more to the point I see no reason why a regular cookbook wouldn't largely serve. Why are the cookbooks I mentioned above "unclean" if you think they are (which presumably you do if cooking "clean" is so complex.)
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    (Oh, also, I don't usually care for mayo, but I make it at home whenever I need it. It's easy. Same with salad dressing--I never get why people complain about the ingredients in salad dressing or pasta sauce, as if you cared about "clean" eating wouldn't you be making those from scratch? I do, and I don't even care about "clean" eating.)
  • Furbuster
    Options
    For someone that doesn't care about it lemurcat you don't half labour a point and go on about it! Maybe you do care and secretly read clean eating cookery books in private eh? ;)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Mud, dirt, stick and rocks are a favourite. They're clean, right???

Nah, bruh, you gotta wash that stick off first. It doesn't just come clean. I'm sure the mud and dirt will be fine if you mix a little bleach in with it.

I've been doing it wrong all this time???!?!?!"?!?"

better go detox from all those chemikillz and toxins

Yeah you better! I have some tea I'd be glad to sell you to help with that!

I tried it and im not losing any weight??????

You must be in starvation mode. Eat more!

but my personal trainer @ the gym said no carbs after 6pm and I can on only eat organic???!?!?!? IM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT

Ooohhh sorry, here's your Special Snowflake Pass. Have a nice day.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Everyone knows what clean eating means. Some just hate the term and like to argue the point ;)

Yeah, I think most people basically have a grip on what others mean when they use it. Some have different takes, but more or less it's veg, fruit, whole grains, meat, nuts, sometimes dairy. (Maybe those are organic or pesticide free or local or sustainably sourced, maybe not, but in terms of food items, that is what people roughly mean. I hope I have cleared this up for everyone now and forever.)

Anyway, when I want a meal that doesn't involve a ton of processing and is nutritionally balanced, and involves ingredients like the ones I mentioned, I do some kind of salad and some kind of meat. I just google for recipes featuring the ingredients I want to use.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    But ok some ideas:

Salads:
    - asparagus (boiled or steamed and then cooled) with cherry tomatoes, avocado, small amount of lentils, olive oil, bit of lemon, salt - had this tonight
    - shredded red cabbage with apples and carrots, dressed in olive oil + balsamic vinegar (and a bit of sugar, optional)
    - baby spinach, walnuts, goat cheese (if you're counting that), sliced pears
    - lentils with roasted or sauteed (in OO) red or yellow peppers, zucchini, garlic, OO, balsamic vinegar, pinch of sugar (optional), salt
    - when I'm lazy, i just have spinach & OO/balsamic
    - tomatoes with green onions, salt, OO
    - diced cucumbers with white vinegar and OO and of course salt

Meat: I pan-fry or roast/bake it. Pan-frying is faster. I would grill but need better ventilation for that.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    My favourite recipe site is the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes

It has recipes from lots of good chefs.

Or, just Google foods you feel like eating and the word 'recipe'.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Oh really? Where's that list with about two dozen different definitions given by people who said exactly that?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have a really good clean eating recipe.

It's straight from nature, no GMO's or chemikillz or toxins which would make you have to detox.

9owk5kxdri09.jpg

It's got lean protein, enzymes and what not.

Really clean

10/10

would eat again

srs

not srs
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I always assume that questions like the OP posed, looking for clean eating recipes, are inspired by the fact that they themselves don't have a clear understanding of what the term means and are therefore hoping for a book filled with explanations and acceptable foods to eat. Because I feel like if you follow "clean eating" and are confident in your definitions of what is clean and what isn't, then you could just take any recipe available online or in any cookbook, and make it "clean".

The fact that people are asking for special recipes tells me that they do not have a clear set of rules in their head.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For someone that doesn't care about it lemurcat you don't half labour a point and go on about it! Maybe you do care and secretly read clean eating cookery books in private eh? ;)

I care about communication and making it clearer.

I also think WinoGelato is correct, and that's why I ask why they think they need something other than a normal cookbook or website (which I gave lots of helpful information about). IMO, asking what they consider "clean" is the only way to usefully address the question.

The other possibility is that they have really never looked at recipes or cookbooks at all, and in that case too I think it's helpful to explain that most cookbooks show how to cook and combine whole foods, so should fit the normal definition of "clean."

And I still don't know what a "clean eating cookery book" is.