Eating Fruit

Options
Good for weight loss or not? Especially those that have high sugar content. Comments/Suggestions very welcome

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? I don't think you have to worry about fruit sugar otherwise.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No.

Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit. Doesn't matter what foods you eat, as long as you create a caloric deficit you will lose weight.

Granted, you want to have micronutrient dense foods in your diet as well as treats to keep your sanity.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Depends if the fruit you're eating is in your calorie goal or not. That's all that matters.

Personally, about half my daily food is fruit, and I lose weight just fine.
  • 4Deepak
    4Deepak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not diabetic. Just that most fruit has high calories.
  • starlitwaters
    starlitwaters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Is it good for your health? Sure. Fruit has lots of micronutrients.

Will it help you lose weight? No.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    4Deepak wrote: »

If you leave out Banana and grapes, not to mention any dried fruit, the sugar content and hence calories isn't that high. They are mainly water after all.

Apple :
    Amount Per 1 medium (3" dia) (182 g)
    Calories 95
    Sugar 19 g
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Will eating fruit fit into your calorie & macro goals? Then it's fine.

If it doesn't, it will be counterproductive.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Neither good nor bad unless it affects your total calories.

I think eating fruit is good for me since I like them (the ones I eat, anyway), they tend to have micronutrients and fiber, and I find them pretty filling. I tend to eat fewer overall calories (within reason--you shouldn't have an absurdly low calorie goal) when I include fruit in my diet. Some people apparently eat insane amounts, and going over your calories is going to cause you to gain no matter how you get there, and of course you shouldn't eat fruit in lieu of protein or fat or veggies or other things you need.
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Fruit is high in vitamins and some with anti-oxidants, which your body needs. Which fruit you eat makes a difference. Fruit such as berries, apples, bananas are better choices than melons as there is a difference in the glycemic level if you are concerned. Yes, fruit has natural sugar, which your body will process and not store it like refined/processed sugar.

Fruit is a better option to eat rather than some processed item.

Anyone that says fruit is bad for weight loss needs to see a nutritionist. If you like fruit, then eat it but in moderation.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Marillian wrote: »
    Yes, fruit has natural sugar, which your body will process and not store it like refined/processed sugar.

No. It's the same molecule.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Peaches right now are the bomb!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Marillian wrote: »
    Yes, fruit has natural sugar, which your body will process and not store it like refined/processed sugar.

Your body processes whatever you give it. (Even storing excess as fat is a form of processing it, and beneficial in the vast majority of human environments, as the current situation where people have lots of excess is unusual if you take a broader view of it.)

It's simply not true that your body will not store certain things as fat. You are storing and burning fat constantly, no matter what you eat, and whether you have a net gain of fat depends on whether you eat excess calories or not, not whether you eat melon or some ice cream.

Also, the difference in GI (really what matters would be GL) between two kinds of fruit is unlikely to matter one whit for most people, especially if you eat fruit with other foods. For people who are insulin resistant it might be something to monitor and see if you get hungrier or have a response to certain fruits vs. others.

Worth noting, however, that the GL for banana is 16 and that for watermelon is only 4.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods
  • 4Deepak
    4Deepak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Interesting to note that the sugars, both fruit and beet/cane, are the same! Did not know.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Watermelon, pineapple and cherries are lower than some other fruits.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    everyone knows that an apple a day is the root cause of the obesity epidemic...
  • yarwell
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    everyone knows that an apple a day is the root cause of the obesity epidemic...

not really, half the population don't eat that much fruit ;-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fruits, besides the sugar content, are great for the vitamins and fiber. It is great to include fruit daily in your diet. It's neutral in regards to weight loss, and not that high in calories.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Interesting to note that the sugars, both fruit and beet/cane, are the same! Did not know.
    Sugar is the same but with fruit we get fiber and other micro. Most added beet/cane sugar is stripped of these and hit the blood stream all at once; where sugar in it's natural plant form is metabolized more gradually and accompanied by more nutrition.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Summer is the BEST time for fruit! We've been eating a ton of cherries. peaches, nectarines, watermelon, blueberries. Its been fantastic :)