Eating Fruit

Options

Replies

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @slideaway1, I suggest chasing that multivitamin down with a Metamucil chaser. Just so you don't miss out on all the beauty of fruit.

Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty good with my fibre consumption though. You could set your watch to my bowel movements. I'm as regular as a Kennedy funeral. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Marillian wrote: »
    fruit has natural sugar, which your body will process and not store it like refined/processed sugar.

Nonsense. How can the body tell the difference between sugar from fruit and sugar form sugarcane or other plants, which is chemically the same, and how can the body store sugar if doesn't process it?

Broscience. How I wish it would stop :s

It always reminds me of how the mother of my best friend in jr high insisted that calories from cheese went right to the butt (which she considered a bad thing, it was the '80s).

I need to eat MOAR cheese :p
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    4Deepak wrote: »
    Not diabetic. Just that most fruit has high calories.

What fruits are you eating? I eat fruit daily and typically a serving is around 50-60 calories, no more than 100. They keep you full, have tons of fiber, and natural sugar which is much better than processed/added sugars in other foods

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

Have you met strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, watermelon ...............

^^^ exactly
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Interesting to note that the sugars, both fruit and beet/cane, are the same! Did not know.
    Sugar is the same but with fruit we get fiber and other micro. Most added beet/cane sugar is stripped of these and hit the blood stream all at once; where sugar in it's natural plant form is metabolized more gradually and accompanied by more nutrition.

But no one eats sugar on its own. I suppose some eat candies and sugary drinks on their own, but that's only a subset of the ways in which added sugar is used. (Personally, I prefer not to drink calories, and most sweet things I like also have fat--in fact, for most of us a lot of the calories that get attributed to "sweets" are really from fat, like butter or cream, not sugar.)

To use an example I like, there's no meaningful difference between some rhubarb sauce with added cane sugar and an apple sauce made with just apples. (And like fiber, protein and fat tend to slow how fast the body reacts to the sugar.)

This is also why people make WAY too much of the GI/GL stuff. [Edit: oh, I see psulemon beat me to it!]

Also, there are benefits to getting quick energy and insulin spikes, both when doing cardio and when trying to build muscle. (Regular exercise also tends to make people more insulin sensitive.)

Everything is context.

Great minds <3

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    My only thing about fruit and eating at a deficit is that sometimes it leaves me hungrier after I've finished than I was before I ate it. This only happens with some fruits, namely apples and pears. I've heard from other "MFP veterans" that they experience the same phenomenon. Not sure what it is...

For this reason, I stick to bananas if I'm hungry. If I'm just looking for a snack though, fruit's an awesome sweet treat in any form. And it will give you a lot of nutrition for its calorie count, too. I also grew up in a family full of diabetics who regularly ate all sorts of fruits and stayed within their normal BG levels, so I really don't think the sugar content is an issue.

@ManiacalLaugh - Are you eating fruit all by itself? Fruit with almonds or peanut butter fills me up. Or in a smoothie with protein powder and some kind of fat.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My only thing about fruit and eating at a deficit is that sometimes it leaves me hungrier after I've finished than I was before I ate it. This only happens with some fruits, namely apples and pears. I've heard from other "MFP veterans" that they experience the same phenomenon. Not sure what it is...

For this reason, I stick to bananas if I'm hungry. If I'm just looking for a snack though, fruit's an awesome sweet treat in any form. And it will give you a lot of nutrition for its calorie count, too. I also grew up in a family full of diabetics who regularly ate all sorts of fruits and stayed within their normal BG levels, so I really don't think the sugar content is an issue.

@ManiacalLaugh - Are you eating fruit all by itself? Fruit with almonds or peanut butter fills me up. Or in a smoothie with protein powder and some kind of fat.

Eating it with other things does help, but I typically only get as full as I would have eating whatever that second item is. It is a weird thing, I know. I did a Google search and found that most people fill up when eating a fiberous fruit like an apple, but I also found that approximately 1 out of 5 answered that it makes them feel hungrier. It really must be a body chemistry thing.

ETA - I think it was either RabbitJB or the other veteran with the torso shot in the green top (SN eludes me at the moment) who said she feels the same way with apples and pears.
  • 4Deepak
    4Deepak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @slideaway1, I suggest chasing that multivitamin down with a Metamucil chaser. Just so you don't miss out on all the beauty of fruit.

That's one way to get fiber. Got a chuckle out of me!
  • 4Deepak
    Options
    I quit eating fruit because of the negative publicity towards weight loss. Having said that, just picked up peaches from the store! Looked very tempting.

What fruits are you eating? I eat fruit daily and typically a serving is around 50-60 calories, no more than 100. They keep you full, have tons of fiber, and natural sugar which is much better than processed/added sugars in other foods

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I quit eating fruit because of the negative publicity towards weight loss. Having said that, just picked up peaches from the store! Looked very tempting.

I would agree. I had peach, cream cheese and walnuts for dessert today.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love fruit. its winter here now, so fresh fruit is sparse :cry:

But when it is summer, I get a large Tupperware container and add:

Pineapple
    Watermelon
    Rock melon (cantaloupe)
    Cherries
    Grapes
    Strawberries
    Blackberries
    Raspberries

Mix it all in the container and store it in the fridge. That's my go to when I have a sweet craving. I eat a lot more chocolate and sweet junk in winter than I do in summer, because all the fresh fruit just isn't as available.

• 4Deepak
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I can relate to it! Did not do much for the hunger!
    Pretty much all fruits and vegetables are unsatiating to me. Whoever these people are who can eat a bowl of fruit and be full for hours are, I sure ain't one of them. It's like they're made of air.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit is the only requirement for weight loss. Fruit is awesome!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    I cant be arsed eating fruit. I just take a multi Vitamin and cross my fingers.

For real. Eat the fruit if you want. I don't get my panties in a knot over it. I'd rather eat meat or ice cream.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    I cant be arsed eating fruit. I just take a multi Vitamin and cross my fingers.

For real. Eat the fruit if you want. I don't get my panties in a knot over it. I'd rather eat meat or ice cream.

Not sure why fruit eating becomes an issue when people start to diet. I t wasn't endless amounts of fruit that made me gain weight. I say eat fruit and make it fit in
  • Lavorazione
    Lavorazione Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I failed to lose weight and found the solution in modifying my macros ration. When I started using myfitnesspal, I noticed that I was generally eating 50% carbs, 20% fat and 30%. When I started increasing my protein intake (aiming for 50% protein, 30% fat and 20% carbs) I started to lose weight quickly.

This article helped me to get this insight: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html

I love fruit but a lot of fruit is quite high in carbs, so I cut fruit out of my diet for the most part. If I eat fruit, I make sure I eat fruit that's low in carbs (e.g., strawberries, blueberries).

Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If low carb works for you, great, but in general low carb is not at all needed for fat loss.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

isulo_kura wrote: »

Have you met strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, watermelon ...............

And cantaloupe and honeydew...

• discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yeah fruit by itself always leaves me hungrier. I struggle to eat enough fruit but I'm usually good on veggies so it evens out. Still new recommendations call for more than five a day. Berries are good they are high fiber and low gi. Also if this is more lifestyle than weight loss you do need to get into healthy habits. Such as eating fruit for your sugar cravings.