Skipping breakfast

Options
I'm very rarely hungry in the morning but you always hear people saying how breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I just always go slightly over my calories if I eat breakfast and don't if I skip it. So, is skipping it really that bad?

Replies

• Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast (especially a fiber rich one) revs your metabolism for the day, and eating within a decent time of waking, is important too. A good breakfast should help you keep from overeating, the rest of the day, as your body tries to catch up.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm very rarely hungry in the morning but you always hear people saying how breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I just always go slightly over my calories if I eat breakfast and don't if I skip it. So, is skipping it really that bad?

Skipping breakfast isn't inherently bad, no.

Check out the intermittent fasting groups to get some good related info.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Vanyahiril wrote: »
    Eating breakfast (especially a fiber rich one) revs your metabolism for the day, and eating within a decent time of waking, is important too. A good breakfast should help you keep from overeating, the rest of the day, as your body tries to catch up.

SO much wrong. Meal timing does not matter OP.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Your metabolism doesn't need revved up. If you're alive, it's going.

OP, if you feel you do better without breakfast, don't eat it. I'm the opposite in that I'll overeat if I don't eat breakfast. Meal timing/frequency is a personal choice.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

False

Its ok to skip breakfast. Especially if you aren't hungry.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything but coffee before noon. I jumped on the "you have to eat breakfast or bad things" train for a while and all it did was make me gain because if I do eat in the morning, especially if I'm not particularly hungry to begin with, it just makes me more hungry the rest of the day. It doesn't kick-start anything but appetite on me. :)

I'm a natural no-breakfast person and have been all my life.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat when you are hungry.

All the "rev your metabolism" stuff is bs. So is the "good breakfast will keep you from overeating".
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    As a morning person I like eating breakfast and I find for me personally it helps me avoid overeating later in the day.

See what helps you have an easier time hitting your goals and do that.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Most people have answered you correctly so that's good. Meal timing is of little importance and if you don't like breakfast, don't eat it.

The "revving up metabolism" is an age old myth that some people still believe since food companies often use it in their marketing.
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You don't want to skip breakfast because overnight your body goes into the fasting mode, that is why you "break" it. I am not a nutritionist but not giving your body anything to eat, it can go into starvation mode and hold on to the weight you are trying to get rid of. It is just what seems to work for what I've done and I lost 14 pounds in 6 weeks just by eating better and incorporating snacks.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You don't want to skip breakfast because overnight your body goes into the fasting mode, that is why you "break" it. I am not a nutritionist but not giving your body anything to eat, it can go into starvation mode and hold on to the weight you are trying to get rid of. It is just what seems to work for what I've done and I lost 14 pounds in 6 weeks just by eating better and incorporating snacks.
    Hornsby you jynxed it we were doing so well.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

False

Its ok to skip breakfast. Especially if you aren't hungry.

+1

Meal timing doesn't matter. If you aren't hungry, then don't eat.

I'm like you, I do better just having a cup of coffee or skipping breakfast altogether. I don't get hungry until about 11, so that's when I eat. I've lost 94 pounds so far, so it seems to be working...
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Hornsby you jynxed it we were doing so well.

Lol - spoke to soon.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Any time you eat you are breaking a fast.

By the time starvation mode (whatever that means) becomes an issue, you'll no doubt have been approached about your obvious eating disorder. It doesn't happen overnight.
  • Hornsby
    Options

False.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

No, absolutely not! Starvation mode as explained here, does. not. exist!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I eat it and I try to always have a high-fiber breakfast. I started because they say that eating a high fiber breakfast helps with weight loss. I kept it up because I like it. I don't eat late in the evening when I have breakfast and the rest of my food earlier and I prefer not feeling so full or heavy in the evenings.

I don't think it's bad to skip breakfast and I don't think it will prevent you from losing weight. Skip away! It's your body and your diet. You have to do what works for you. I certainly wouldn't start skipping it because you do and wouldn't dream of suggesting that you eat it because I do. :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    As a morning person I like eating breakfast and I find for me personally it helps me avoid overeating later in the day.

See what helps you have an easier time hitting your goals and do that.

yep exactly me. Just do what works for you.
  • Conspiracy19
    Conspiracy19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I may just have an orange juice or coffee (black coffee) in the morning, if that. Thanks everyone! :)
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry after making sure you're hydrated. There isn't anything wrong with skipping meals, our bodies are designed to do this. I believe someone already mentioned the intermittent fasting forums, so much good information there.