Question about Kale?

Options
2»

Replies

• stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    blondx7 wrote: »
    I put kale & spinach in peanut butter and banana smoothies. Tastes great!

That sounds delicious.
  • blondx7
    blondx7 Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    also, if you use a food processor to finely mince the kale, here's a nice recipe:

finely minced/processed kale
    whisked olive oil and lemon juice
    grated parmesan cheese
    raisins or currants
    slivered almonds

I eyeball all ingredients/make to taste.

You won't taste bitterness at all!
  • blondx7
    blondx7 Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    stephchadz wrote: »
    blondx7 wrote: »
    I put kale & spinach in peanut butter and banana smoothies. Tastes great!

That sounds delicious.

Recipe stolen from The Wild Cow in Nashville.

The kale salad recipe is stolen from Tavern in Nashville.

LOL at kale being pretentious...it grows wildly in my kitchen garden in the country.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I really like a certain brand (I can't remember the name - the packaging is black and purple) of pre-made kale salad that has kale, brussel sprouts and cranberries. Most of the time, I don't bother with the dressing - the veggies and cranberries make it awesome!

I'm not great with raw kale - I really dislike it if it isn't in some sort of pre-prepped salad like at a restaurant or in a mix - but I love it cooked.

My dad sautes it with some oil and lemon juice and it's awesome. Top it with a bit of parmesean and it's even better!

I love it as kale chips. I have a dehydrator and it's my favourite way to prep kale chips, but it works well in the oven as well. I love just the kale flavour when it's cooked, so I just toss the leaves in olive oil and salt and dehydrate for chips. I've also made batches where I season with chili powder, paprika and a bit of cayenne. If they were easier to sneak in without pulverizing them, I'd bring them as snacks to the movies, ha ha!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Tried it once..........hate it. IMHO, not worth adding the calories from oil, nothing will help the taste as far as I'm concerned.
    Spinach is very close in nutrition value and much more palatable to me.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind kale. I sautee it and add it to scrambles or throw it into smoothies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I had kale exploding out of my community garden so I tried a lot of recipes. It's like spinach, only tougher. You can use any spinach recipe and Kale, IMO, is much better when it is blanched/cooked.
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use kitchen scissors, cut out the spine and cut it in to thin strips, then I cut the spines in to little pieces. This can be sautéed or "massaged" for a minute w olive oil and lemon juice for a delicious salad. I really like it and I think it's nice to have a variety of vegetables. I would get tired of broccoli being the only cruciferous veggie I ate.
  • beedeezer
    beedeezer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi - i googled about kale a couple of weeks ago for the same teason - personally ive replaced it with watercress as my green superfood. If you believe some of the latest online jnfo atm ... there are around 10 greens healthier than kale? And the real shock is if you eat lots and lots of it it may cause hypothyroidism in some ppl ... but id say youd have to be a real hard core kale junky to od ;) what to believe!?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I saute most of my greens. If I'm having them raw in a salad I prefer baby greens...otherwise they get sauteed.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A trick to offset the bitter in most foods is to use acid - citric juices (limes and lemons) or vinegars. I found balsamic with kale is pretty great - even when sauteing. My aunt would steam the kale and serve it with homemade Italian dressing (heavier on the vinegar) - so freaking gooooood!!! As kids we just loved the taste - had no clue it was so good for us ;)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I eat spinach so much, but oil massaged kale is so tasty! ltvbh5q01tao.jpg