Skipping breakfast

Options

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    You don't want to skip breakfast because overnight your body goes into the fasting mode, that is why you "break" it. I am not a nutritionist but not giving your body anything to eat, it can go into starvation mode and hold on to the weight you are trying to get rid of. It is just what seems to work for what I've done and I lost 14 pounds in 6 weeks just by eating better and incorporating snacks.

Fail.

You lost weight because you are in a caloric deficit.
  • CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I suggest you carefully research and confirm any information you get from hobbyist and enthusiasts on forums as most of it is subjective personal opinion or based on something someone read on a blog someplace by someone claiming to be an expert. Unfortunately the vast majority of information I'm seeing posted directly contradicts well established science.. I suggest a search of abstracts at Pubmed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed I would start by researching blood glucose levels and the effect's fasting Blood glucose levels may have during exercise. There's a reason they require fasting before certain blood tests,

Studies have shown that your energy level peaks one to three hours after a meal and that exercising during this time is more effective than other times, Studies also suggest The side effects of not eating breakfast negatively impact weight, hormonal health, memory, cognition and mood. Don't take my word for it though, educate yourself http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=skipping+breakfast
  • CaptBligh001
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    You don't want to skip breakfast because overnight your body goes into the fasting mode, that is why you "break" it. snip........

Fail.

Fail ? think Not !! the only fail here is yours, What was posted is almost a verbatim quote from an abstract of a 2013 study published in the British Journal of Nutrition, I'll see if I can find it meanwhile Livestrong references this study as well.
    LiveStrong wrote:
    Obesity and its ensuing complications -- such as diabetes, infertility and heart disease -- are some of the biggest concerns of the 21st century. Skipping breakfast may increase your risk of obesity or make it harder to lose weight. The Weight-control Information Network reports that if you eat breakfast you are less likely to overeat throughout the rest of the day. Since you fast overnight while sleeping, forgoing breakfast adds to this fasting period and may disrupt blood sugar balance and insulin output. Skipping breakfast may also trigger bad eating habits throughout the day, as cravings ensue and quick-fix fast foods are often sought out. Furthermore, eating breakfast boosts your metabolism and increases your energy throughout the day. A study in the August 2013 issue of the "British Journal of Nutrition" reports that when you do not eat breakfast, your energy is reduced and physical activity levels decline.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/292033-side-effects-of-not-eating-breakfast/
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    OP, skipping breakfast if you're not hungry is just fine. You'll lose weight as long as you're in a deficit.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You don't want to skip breakfast because overnight your body goes into the fasting mode, that is why you "break" it. I am not a nutritionist but not giving your body anything to eat, it can go into starvation mode and hold on to the weight you are trying to get rid of. It is just what seems to work for what I've done and I lost 14 pounds in 6 weeks just by eating better and incorporating snacks.

You lost weight because you were in a caloric deficit. Has nothing to do with "eating better" or snacks.

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    You don't want to skip breakfast because overnight your body goes into the fasting mode, that is why you "break" it. snip........

Fail.

Fail ? think Not !! the only fail here is yours, What was posted is almost a verbatim quote from an abstract of a 2013 study published in the British Journal of Nutrition, I'll see if I can find it meanwhile Livestrong references this study as well.
    LiveStrong wrote:
    Obesity and its ensuing complications -- such as diabetes, infertility and heart disease -- are some of the biggest concerns of the 21st century. Skipping breakfast may increase your risk of obesity or make it harder to lose weight. The Weight-control Information Network reports that if you eat breakfast you are less likely to overeat throughout the rest of the day. Since you fast overnight while sleeping, forgoing breakfast adds to this fasting period and may disrupt blood sugar balance and insulin output. Skipping breakfast may also trigger bad eating habits throughout the day, as cravings ensue and quick-fix fast foods are often sought out. Furthermore, eating breakfast boosts your metabolism and increases your energy throughout the day. A study in the August 2013 issue of the "British Journal of Nutrition" reports that when you do not eat breakfast, your energy is reduced and physical activity levels decline.

I am 41 years old. I have not been eating breakfast since I was a child. I actually feel nauseous if I eat close too waking up. I need 3-4 hours of being awake before I eat. I am not overweight. I do not have low energy. I do not have diabetes. My blood pressure is normal. My blood work is normal.

Not everyone is the same. If someone is not hungry in the morning, there is absolutely nothing wrong with waiting to eat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Breakfast isn't a necessity if you're not hungry. Many of the correlations with obesity and skipping meals is usually due to gorging massively on the meals they do eat. Regardless of how many times one eats, if they exceed their calorie limit, they'll gain weight. If they are in calorie deficit, they'll lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Fail.

Funny... it's saying that by skipping breakfast, you're more likely to overeat. If you're overeating, you would agree that you're NOT in a deficit, right? I'll be waiting for the article you're referring to, but what you've posted from Livestrong only reinforces that a deficit is what sheds weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast because it just makes me more hungry throughout the day for some reason, and skipping breakfast makes it easier to stay in a deficit. I do however drink many cups of tea with milk in the morning, so you could say that is my breakfast and the milk fills me up...

Touching on the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" rumour. One of the largest studies on this was funded by...... Kellogg's... Biased much?? :huh:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Vanyahiril wrote: »
    Eating breakfast (especially a fiber rich one) revs your metabolism for the day, and eating within a decent time of waking, is important too. A good breakfast should help you keep from overeating, the rest of the day, as your body tries to catch up.

I'm going to disagree.
  • tspencer824
    tspencer824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is TERRIBLE for you. Your body just went 8 or more hours without food. You have to nourish your body and mind for a productive day. Eat some eggs and oats daily. This is easy. You will get used to it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Yes, it is TERRIBLE for you. Your body just went 8 or more hours without food. You have to nourish your body and mind for a productive day. Eat some eggs and oats daily. This is easy. You will get used to it.

I lost the majority of my weight doing intermittent fasting. On my fast days I didn't eat for 24 hour stretches..

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options

I would hate to live in a world where my body can't go 8 hours without food before everything goes haywire.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Please just no.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

You're kinda bossy. Please put your internet down.
  • Christine_72
    Options

I would hate to live in a world where my body can't go 8 hours without food before everything goes haywire.

So true! Some people thing we will shrivel away and die if we don't eat by the clock... :noway:

• elknise
    elknise Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm rarely hungry for breakfast and I would always go over my goal as well. I am usually hungry for lunch by 10am which doesn't work for my work schedule. I started drinking a protein shake for breakfast and it holds me over to lunch no problem. I also needed the extra protein to hit my goal for the day. From Costco: Chocolate Premier Value Protein Shake - 160 calories, 30g protein, 5g carbs, 3g far.

As other people have said meal timing and other conspiracy theories do work for some people but find what works best for you. Whatever you do, stay in a deficit and don't keep trying new things. Pick something and stick with it for a few months.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

I go roughly 20 hours each day without food. I'm sure my employees, students, freelance clients, gym, and kids would like to know how I'm shortchanging them by not eating a socially constructed early day meal...
  • CaptBligh001
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well I see this is going to be useless, Kinda hard to take people seriously who ignore scientific consensus and propagate personal opinion as fact. It would be amusing if it wasn't for the fact that people here are propagating misinformation that could have negative consequences on someones health or at the very least make it more difficult for them to loose weight safely.

I implore people to seek answers to their questions from credible sources, Once again don't take my word for it, educate yourself, I've even provided a basic search to get you started where you will find over 719 pages of scientific studies on this very subject http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=skipping+breakfast

Personally I tend to place a much higher degree of confidence in peer reviewed study's published in well respected medical journals then I do in the personal subjective opinions of so called "nutritionists" and "personal trainers" unless of course they can back up their opinions with credible sources, Unfortunately most of the time they are propagating snake oil and wives tails.
    snip..
    Touching on the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" rumour. One of the largest studies on this was funded by...... Kellogg's... Biased much?? :huh:

Hardly a rumor !! more like based solidly in science, As for the Kellogg study well much like Global Warming and Tobacco disinformation campaigns the key word here is well respected journals not some industry front group posing as a legitimate scientific journal or institute. For example the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine is a well known right wing front group posing as a legitimate scientific institute, their whole purpose in life is to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt, that's why they spend more money on PR and advertising campaigns rather then legitimate scientific research ..

On the other hand the BRITISH JOURNAL OF NUTRITION is a highly respected medical journal with a well established history. http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayJournal?jid=BJN

Once again the scientific consensus amongst well respected experts backed up by credible research is that eating breakfast boosts your metabolism and increases your energy throughout the day. the consensus is that mot eating breakfast, make it harder to lose weight, your energy is reduced and physical activity levels decline increasing your risk of obesity.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Breakfast isn't a necessity if you're not hungry. Many of the correlations with obesity and skipping meals is usually due to gorging massively on the meals they do eat. Regardless of how many times one eats, if they exceed their calorie limit, they'll gain weight. If they are in calorie deficit, they'll lose weight.

Snip...

Where did you study exactly ? I'm only asking because your opinion contradicts the published scientific opinions of some of the worlds most respected experts in the field, maybe you should consider submitting a paper for peer review and see how your personal opinions and observations hold up to scrutiny of your peers. I'm more than willing to consider new evidence but excuse me if I don't place a high degree of confidence in a self professed expert who's opinions contradict what appears to be several 1000 published scientific reports on the subject.

What I see is a lot of snake oil and people telling people what they want to hear rather than what they need to hear
    if they exceed their calorie limit, they'll gain weight. If they are in calorie deficit, they'll lose weight

True enough, just ask any holocaust survivor! Unfortunately there is more to losing weight then merely losing weight, The key word here should be healthy weight loss, It does you no good to lose weight if you damage your health in the process. That's where the calorie deficit argument false flat on its face. There are a lot of ways to create a calorie deficit and science has proven that not all of them are safe, skipping breakfast is a good example of a dietary habit that for most people is unhealthy

Once I'm not an expert but I know when to listen to experts. Again don't take my word for it, educate yourself, I've even provided a basic search to get you started where you will find over 719 pages of scientific studies on this very subject http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=skipping+breakfast

I apologize in advance for my spelling and grammar but I was in a rush, I have an appointment
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It is going to be useless, because you're essentially referencing a single study that doesn't appear to say what you think it does.

Here are a just a tiny fraction of the myriad articles that exist indicating that there are great benefits to fasting protocols:
    Beneficial metabolic adaptations due to endurance exercise training in the fasted state.
    Mitochondrial degradation by autophagy (mitophagy) in GFP-LC3 transgenic hepatocytes during nutrient deprivation.
    Meal size and frequency affect neuronal plasticity and vulnerability to disease: cellular and molecular mechanisms.
    Augmented growth hormone (GH) secretory burst frequency and amplitude mediate enhanced GH secretion during a two-day fast in normal men.
    Improvements in coronary heart disease risk indicators by alternate-day fasting involve adipose tissue modulations.
    The effects of intermittent or continuous energy restriction on weight loss and metabolic disease risk markers: a randomized trial in young overweight women.

Some of us have done the research, and coupled with personal success, are perfectly happy to continue on our chosen path.

You can be as wrong as you want to be, but stop implying that you're the only one with research...