Skipping breakfast

Options

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Well I see this is going to be useless, Kinda hard to take people seriously who ignore scientific consensus and propagate personal opinion as fact. It would be amusing if it wasn't for the fact that people here are propagating misinformation that could have negative consequences on someones health or at the very least make it more difficult for them to loose weight safely.

I implore people to seek answers to their questions from credible sources, Once again don't take my word for it, educate yourself, I've even provided a basic search to get you started where you will find over 719 pages of scientific studies on this very subject http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=skipping+breakfast

I read the first 3 articles from your search:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26088558
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26102907
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26109287

None of these are telling me why I MUST eat first thing in the morning. None of these are telling me what will go wrong if I don't.

Nobody is suggesting that you starve yourself. Nobody is suggesting that you shouldn't meet your nutritional needs. People are just saying you do not have to eat first thing if you don't want to.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Wow.. So much "fail" with what people believe.

We need better (and accurate) nutritional education in this country.

I personally disproved the "You'll gain weight if you eat too late at night myth." -- Check my profile. I'm a typical no-breakfast, eat late guy. I should have gained 50+ pounds since I started, not lost 55. :)

How can some many fail at something like simple calorie math?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I was up at 6am and didn't eat until 10:30am (I would have waited a little longer, but I had to get ready for work). I've found that if I eat shortly upon waking up I will end up being more hungry throughout the day, and that's how I end up over my calories. So breakfast at nearly lunch time it is!
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    these forums never fail to make me laugh..starvation mode, revving up your metabolism! HAHAHA omg. My advice to people is to read at other peoples success on these forums and understand the science behind "Calories in, Calories out" There is no secrets to weight loss...there is no shortcut..

I'd also like to add that skipping breakfast is your choice. I've grown accustomed to having it because it just works for me that way.
  • Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any value in forcing yourself to eat when not hungry, I'd say that's even undesirable. Eat when you need to, only you know your body.

I can't skip breakfast, in fact it's usually one of my bigger calorie meals. Dinner on the other hand, I often have just a snack, e.g. Fruit, because that's how my body works :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is TERRIBLE for you. Your body just went 8 or more hours without food. You have to nourish your body and mind for a productive day. Eat some eggs and oats daily. This is easy. You will get used to it.
    Not that terrible. Before breakfast was a tradition, the human physiology did just fine with just one meal a day. Multiple meals a day is more a preference than mandatory.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Breakfast isn't a necessity if you're not hungry. Many of the correlations with obesity and skipping meals is usually due to gorging massively on the meals they do eat. Regardless of how many times one eats, if they exceed their calorie limit, they'll gain weight. If they are in calorie deficit, they'll lose weight.
    Where did you study exactly ? I'm only asking because your opinion contradicts the published scientific opinions of some of the worlds most respected experts in the field, maybe you should consider submitting a paper for peer review and see how your personal opinions and observations hold up to scrutiny of your peers. I'm more than willing to consider new evidence but excuse me if I don't place a high degree of confidence in a self professed expert who's opinions contradict what appears to be several 1000 published scientific reports on the subject.
    I'll defer to accidental's peer reviewed studies above. I'm sure I could dig up more. I'll just pose a quick question: If someone stops eating a 7pm then resumes at 7am (breakfast), a 12 hour fast, what's the difference if someone ate till 12am then resumed at 12pm (again a 12 hour fast) thereby skipping the traditional "breakfast" time?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ;)
    Wow.. So much "fail" with what people believe.

We need better (and accurate) nutritional education in this country.

I personally disproved the "You'll gain weight if you eat too late at night myth." -- Check my profile. I'm a typical no-breakfast, eat late guy. I should have gained 50+ pounds since I started, not lost 55. :)

How can some many fail at something like simple calorie math?
    Like you I eat till late at night every night and don't eat till after 12pm the next day. For years now. Of course with all this muscle though, I'm considered borderline obese on the the BMI scale.
    ;)

Edit: added the emoticon because some won't sense the sarcasm in last sentence.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast because it just makes me more hungry throughout the day for some reason, and skipping breakfast makes it easier to stay in a deficit. I do however drink many cups of tea with milk in the morning, so you could say that is my breakfast and the milk fills me up...

Touching on the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" rumour. One of the largest studies on this was funded by...... Kellogg's... Biased much?? :huh:

Yup. Same here. Eating breakfast makes me heaving with hunger by lunch time. Whereas if I just power through my day to lunch with a good strong coffee with a splash of milk I get somewhat peckish by lunch and eat a reasonably well-portioned size then.

By the time I get to dinner I'm quite hungry, so it works very well for the calorie deficit as I can't be eating a huge brekkie, then a huge lunch, then a huge dinner.

Plus I have no time for breakfast and I don't fancy running out of the door with an egg or a banana in hand. I HATE eating on-the-go. It's one of the reasons why we have modern day obesity. You can't listen to your cues and you don't mindfully eat and enjoy your meal.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »
    You don't want to skip breakfast because overnight your body goes into the fasting mode, that is why you "break" it. snip........

Fail.

You lost weight because you are in a caloric deficit.

Fail ? think Not !! the only fail here is yours, What was posted is almost a verbatim quote from an abstract of a 2013 study published in the British Journal of Nutrition, I'll see if I can find it meanwhile Livestrong references this study as well.
    LiveStrong wrote:
    Obesity and its ensuing complications -- such as diabetes, infertility and heart disease -- are some of the biggest concerns of the 21st century. Skipping breakfast may increase your risk of obesity or make it harder to lose weight. The Weight-control Information Network reports that if you eat breakfast you are less likely to overeat throughout the rest of the day. Since you fast overnight while sleeping, forgoing breakfast adds to this fasting period and may disrupt blood sugar balance and insulin output. Skipping breakfast may also trigger bad eating habits throughout the day, as cravings ensue and quick-fix fast foods are often sought out. Furthermore, eating breakfast boosts your metabolism and increases your energy throughout the day. A study in the August 2013 issue of the "British Journal of Nutrition" reports that when you do not eat breakfast, your energy is reduced and physical activity levels decline.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/292033-side-effects-of-not-eating-breakfast/

I have not been eating breakfast since I was a child. I actually feel nauseous if I eat close too waking up.

I had a similar problem as a child. Our school timings were really early so we woke up at 5am everyday and during that time I simply could not eat or drink anything because doing so would give me a massive stomach upset and I would miss the school bus if I spent all that time in the toilet! :neutral:
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No science or whatever here, but just observation of myself and others--seems breakfast needs have a lot to do with when a person ate last, and to be more about how many hours pass between eating dinner and your first meal the next day. I too do not feel l must have food if I've eaten late or eaten a lot before bed or if I have to wake up exceptionally early. Generally I do just feel better physically however if I avoid eating a lot directly before bed. If I eat a ton heavy junk before bed I often feel kinda queezy next morning then don't want to eat till super late. Then when I finally eat, I eat too much junk only and it's a bad cycle. So in those situations I will make myself eat a healthy breakfast right away just because it feels like taking healthy affirmative control after doing something unhealthy. That's my personal experience with evenly spacing meals.

Also, I think it's possible especially with diet/nutrition to find whatever answer you want to hear in both legit and commercial research (and where exactly is the line between the two always?)
  • CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Of course with all this muscle though, I'm considered borderline obese on the the BMI scale.

I find it difficult to respect someones personal or professional opinion when they prove to be disingenuous.

Generally, BMI can be considered an effective way to evaluate whether a person is overweight or obese. There is a strong correlation between BMI and body fat percent.

BMI is only one of several a risk assessment tool intended to be used by trained medical professionals. As such it requires knowledge of proper application to ascertain whether it's use is appropriate or not on a case by case basis. It's also common knowledge that certain group of individuals should not use BMI as the basis for determining relative risk of disease.

These include:
    • Competitive athletes and body builders. These people may have a high BMI due to a relatively larger amount of muscle mass.
    • Women who are pregnant or breast feeding
    • Growing children
    • Frail and sedentary elderly individuals

This is all common knowledge so I'm surprised that someone with your credentials
    "A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition"
    I did get those credentials right didn't I ? like I was saying I'm surprised that someone with your credentials wasn't educated or trained in the proper application of BMI screening.

Once again this is all common knowledge therefore attempting to malign the scientific and medical community by creating doubt where none exist not only demonstrates a lack of honor it also demonstrates a lack of integrity or in your case professional integrity.

As my Sensei used to say, do you think it not wise to exercise your mind as much as your muscles.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is TERRIBLE for you. Your body just went 8 or more hours without food. You have to nourish your body and mind for a productive day. Eat some eggs and oats daily. This is easy. You will get used to it.

I eat eggs or oats for breakfast often, I love breakfast and put a lot of thought in to what I can eat that I will enjoy and will fill me up for the morning.
    However on days when I don't have breakfast, I feel fine, the average human body is not such a delicate fragile thing that it can't handle more than 8 hours without food.
    I've never understood the idea that you MUST eat breakfast, surely eating if you're not hungry is worse than skipping a meal?
  • CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

I read the first 3 articles from your search:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26088558
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26102907
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26109287

None of these are telling me why I MUST eat first thing in the morning. None of these are telling me what will go wrong if I don't.

Nobody is suggesting that you starve yourself. Nobody is suggesting that you shouldn't meet your nutritional needs. People are just saying you do not have to eat first thing if you don't want to.

Well there are over 700 pages of studies in the particular search I provided, Not every listed study is applicable to our discussion. I figured people here might just be intelligent and honest enough to filter the abstracts and find the studies most appropriate to the discussion at hand.

Here's just a small hand full of quotes from the abstracts of just some of the listed studies.
    • June 9, 2014:
      A study from the University of Bath (UK) found that people who eat breakfast burn more calories throughout the day and have tighter blood sugar control than test subjects who skipped breakfast.
    • July 28, 2013:
      According to a 16 year study of nearly 27,000 participants by Harvard University, men who skip breakfast have a 27 percent higher risk of heart attack or death from coronary heart disease.
    • June 17, 2013:
      According to a University of Colorado study, overweight women who skip breakfast are prone to impaired metabolic responses (unhealthy spikes in insulin and glucose levels) after eating lunch.
    • July 15, 2013:
      A study from Harvard University School of Public Health published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that women who skip breakfast have a 20% higher risk of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.
    • June 17, 2013:
      A study from the University of Minnesota found that people who eat breakfast regularly have a significantly lower risk of obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes compared with subjects who routinely skip breakfast
    • March 29, 2013:
      A University of Missouri-Columbia study indicated that young people who eat a protein-rich breakfast are less likely to indulge in unhealthy snacking later in the day.
    • February 10, 2013:
      A study from the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing showed children who regularly eat breakfast get significantly higher scores in verbal and performance IQ tests.
    • October 9, 2012:
      A study presented at the Learning Connection Summit demonstrated that brain scans of children who eat breakfast show more activity than scans of children who skip breakfast.
    • July 5, 2012:
      Researchers at Cornell University found that people who skip breakfast tend to crave more carbohydrates later in the day compared with test subjects who ate breakfast.
    • June 14, 2012:
      A study from the University of Minnesota School of Public Health found that people who eat breakfast everyday are 34% less likely to develop type 2 diabetes than those who do not eat breakfast. They are also 43% less likely to become obese and 40% less likely to develop fat around the belly.
    • May 24, 2012:
      A 16-year study from Harvard of nearly 30,000 subjects found that men who skip breakfast are 21% more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.
    • May 11, 2012:
      A study of 6,000 students from the Toronto Foundation for Student Success found that students who ate breakfast had better grades and were more likely to graduate.
    • March 10, 2012:
      A new study from the Sussex Innovation Centre, Brighton, UK found that eating breakfast improves people's mental performance. 61% of test subjects showed improvements in English and mathematics tests after eating breakfast. Hand-eye coordination was also improved. Breakfast eaters also showed a reduction in anxiety levels when faced with stressful situations.
    • November 28, 2011:
      A study from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center found that adult women trying to diet are more successful if they eat a healthy breakfast and avoid mid-morning snacks.
    • April 30, 2002:
      Researchers from the National Weight Control Registry, a database of more than 3,000 people who have lost at least 60 pounds and kept it off for an average of 6 years, found that eating breakfast every day was a weight control strategy for 78% of the people in the registry. People who kept off weight long-term also reported eating a low-fat diet and exercising for an hour or more each day.
    • August 6, 2003:
      A study reported by the "Journal of the American College of Nutrition" found that eating cereal (either ready-to-eat or cooked) for breakfast is associated with significantly lower body mass index than either skipping breakfast or eating meats and/or eggs.
    • August 6, 2014:
      A study from the University of Missouri found that young people who eat a high protein breakfast had noticeable reductions in cravings for sweets later in the day. Additional findings indicated that those eating a high protein breakfast may have better regulation of dopamine, the chemical in the brain that regulates food motivation and reward.

Is that enough, most of those are recent between 2014 and 2011. I chose one or two from as far back as 2002 because they were significant, If that's not enough I post more, like I said there are over 700 pages worth..
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    LOL

Bro .. do you even science?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief. Captain Bligh, try searching for all the studies done on people who fast for Ramadan.

Here's a good one to start with:

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2009/12000/Effect_of_Ramadan_Intermittent_Fasting_on_Aerobic.39.aspx
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I like to learn and grow and I feel persuaded. I shall be eating breakfast from now on - before this thread I was one of those who would have said it did not matter.

I don't think anyone on this thread does not grasp the concept that we also need to be in a calorie deficit and that breakfast eating is not a miracle route to eat-what-you-like-land...

BUT

... if we read a few papers and take on board the idea that we might be able to control our energy levels better and reduce cravings by eating breakfast, why not give it a chance?

I have never been fond of rigid thinking on either side of the fence. If we had not all been able to give up other well loved ideas (like dietary fat is of the devil) we would all be stuck in the past doing a whole lot of silly things.

It is ok to change your mind after weighing the evidence. It is ok to admit that you might be wrong.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I like to learn and grow and I feel persuaded. I shall be eating breakfast from now on - before this thread I was one of those who would have said it did not matter.

I don't think anyone on this thread does not grasp the concept that we also need to be in a calorie deficit and that breakfast eating is not a miracle route to eat-what-you-like-land...

BUT

... if we read a few papers and take on board the idea that we might be able to control our energy levels better and reduce cravings by eating breakfast, why not give it a chance?

I have never been fond of rigid thinking on either side of the fence. If we had not all been able to give up other well loved ideas (like dietary fat is of the devil) we would all be stuck in the past doing a whole lot of silly things.

It is ok to change your mind after weighing the evidence. It is ok to admit that you might be wrong.

Agreed. And the idea that breakfast is required for a productive day is the conventional thought that has been held up as fact. That is the idea that had been challenged.

Evidence shows that there are tons of benefits to fasting periods, even when breakfast is one of the meals skipped.

I'm not hearing anyone say that breakfast is bad, and if you want to eat upon waking, then chow down. The issue is insisting that not eating breakfast is harmful in some way, which is clearly false.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Why do people find it so hard to accept that what works for them doesn't work for someone else?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm in for all the studies...

I like "studies"...

I actually did my own... and lost around 50 pounds NOT eating breakfast. Guess the "studies" don't apply to me. I must be broken. :/