Night binging

Options

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl. I workout at night, I eat at night, I can easily stay up until 2-3 in the morning if I didn't have to worry about that pesky J-O-B.

Every day, I have usually eaten less than 1000 calories after dinner - 300 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, and about 300 for dinner. Then between about 10pm-12am (after my workout, before bed) I eat 1000 to 1500 calories.

The point is, don't fight it, just embrace it!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When I really, really want to do a hand-to-mouth thing, I'll eat lettuce. It is about as close to calorie-free as you can get and gives you crunch with the white stuff if you want crunch.

Breaking a junk food craving is just a matter of determination. You make up you mind that you're not going to do it and if it pops into your head that you'd like to, you just stop that short with an emphatic mental NO and move on to thinking about something else.

The more you resist, the more resisting becomes your habit. Then it gets easier and easier until one day you're thinking, "I can't believe I used to be like that."

Bad habits ARE hard to break, but not impossible. You can do it!

But i dont see nothing wrong with eating something in the evening.
    So when she has/make the room for it why not?
    I dont think that eating in the evening is a bad habit at all.

She asked for advice on how to break the habit. That's mine. That's how I did it.

You are free to give whatever advice you wish, even if it's, "I don't think you should break the habit. I think you should change how you eat during the day so that you can eat that stuff at night." I assure you that I won't say you shouldn't give your advice and will thank you not to challenge mine.

lol
    high horse

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm a night time eater, so I plan my days like that. Breakfast and lunch together are usually less than 500 cals, so I can have a decent dinner then follow up with my snacks.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Relaxing? As in bored?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Don't put your daughters to bed till midnight.

/thread

OP, in addition to prelogging a snack at night, buy some fruity teas (Celestial Seasonings makes a peach one I love). Brew a cup. Repeat as necessary.
  • criscat
    criscat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fruity teas with equal...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Don't put your daughters to bed till midnight.

snort!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I save 3-400 calories for evening grazing
  • KaitlynNannery2015
    KaitlynNannery2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't eat empty carbs
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Don't eat empty carbs

So you squish your bread before you eat it?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Don't eat empty carbs

And why?

• familygal
    familygal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth. Works for me
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    When I really, really want to do a hand-to-mouth thing, I'll eat lettuce. It is about as close to calorie-free as you can get and gives you crunch with the white stuff if you want crunch.

Breaking a junk food craving is just a matter of determination. You make up you mind that you're not going to do it and if it pops into your head that you'd like to, you just stop that short with an emphatic mental NO and move on to thinking about something else.

The more you resist, the more resisting becomes your habit. Then it gets easier and easier until one day you're thinking, "I can't believe I used to be like that."

Bad habits ARE hard to break, but not impossible. You can do it!

Lettuce?? LOL, she's not a rabbit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Don't eat empty carbs

What's an empty carb then?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    lmkelly679 wrote: »
    So here's my problem, I'll do amazing during the day then once my daughters in bed and I'm relaxing my cravings /hunger hits hard and I completly ruin the day. I don't deprive myself, I don't skip meals and I drink a good amount of water so I know it's not my body's way of telling me i need it all.
    How do you guys fight this? I would love to just go to bed and avoid it all but I'm not going to bed at 8!

This is exactly what I do, but I also have to get up at 4am. It works!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Either save up the calories for snacking at night or just say "NO".
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    lmkelly679 wrote: »
    So here's my problem, I'll do amazing during the day then once my daughters in bed and I'm relaxing my cravings /hunger hits hard and I completly ruin the day. I don't deprive myself, I don't skip meals and I drink a good amount of water so I know it's not my body's way of telling me i need it all.
    How do you guys fight this? I would love to just go to bed and avoid it all but I'm not going to bed at 8!

This is exactly what I do, but I also have to get up at 4am. It works!

Me too! I was like, "What's wrong with an 8pm bedtime?!" But I am an old soul.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    familygal wrote: »
    Brush your teeth. Works for me
    Yep. Either budget the calories for a late night snack or brush your teeth immediately after putting your kids to bed.

• KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of nice herbal or green tea. I also like air popped pop corn, especially if you eat it one piece at a time. I also go to the success stories here in the message boards, or look up fitspiration or health/fitness on pinterest. A good distraction helps, especially if it takes two hands. Maybe learn to crochet? You can't munch out with yarn wrapped all around your hands! :-)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    1. Don't keep "junk" snack foods in the house.
    2. Don't keep foods near your computer or wherever you spend your evening.
    3. Find something to do with your hands.

For me, if I don't have munchies handy, most of the time I won't munch. However, if we have a bag of chips in the house and I start getting munchies, I will eat most of it in one go without realizing it. Snacking had become a habit, especially when I'm just surfing on the computer (as opposed to doing art or gaming), so I was consuming a LOT of calories without realizing it. If I keep those kinds of foods out of the house, most of the time I'll get the munchies and without something handy, I can ignore it. Finding something to do with my hands also helps. If I really REALLY craving something (usually chips), then I have to go to the gas station and get a smaller bag. Granted that's usually a 2 serving bag, but it's much better than having the large bag in the house!

If you're getting up in the middle of the night to snack, try drinking a protein drink or eating something with protein about an hour before bed. Maybe the high protein Boost or something. That might curb the craving enough that you don't wake up. You'll have to build that into your daily calories, but if you know ahead of time how much you need, it's not difficult to do.