Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    You're honestly saying that in a city like Boston, you can't find a healthy, high quality restaurant to eat at?

Really?

Get the yelp app. Look for nearby restaurants. And get uber while you're at it, and you can expand your search area a little since their car service will take you places for cheap.

We're just out of Boston with kids who hate walking and my husband doesn't like making plans so I can't always spend 20 minutes looking at restaurants when everyone is getting hungry (and forget walking 10 minutes out of the way). The place we went to tonight had good reviews on Yelp... not sure why. At lunch I gave up searching after 5 minutes and the only substitution was yet another side salad.

Believe me if we didn't have the kids I would have had everything planned.

Kids go to bed early. Start planning tomorrow tonight.
    TripAdvisor is another good one. You can check menus ahead of time.

You get out of here with your logic! Can't a girl just rant and make excuses in peace around here?!

I can't plan anything. God knows when my kids will actually be hungry and when we'll be when they are. Maybe I should have titled this 'vacationing with kids when watching your diet sucks'. But everyone doesn't have a daughter who screams in the street that she's not hungry and won't eat and wants to go back to the hotel either (the main reason of my frustration really and why I'm thinking I'll stay home next year).

But it was a rant. You were warned :p

How old is your daughter??

Does she wear the pants in the family??
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    OP, it's time for a divorce lawyer.

MV5BOTE1ODI4MDQ1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY0NDMzMg@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    They have subways in Boston - for transport and there's the hush puppy express, and if you do any of the bus/trolley tours there you can ask where a good affordable place to eat is, people in Boston can be friendly all you have to do is be brave enough to ask someone (that doesn't look sketchy or have track marks showing). There's a lot of different options around Boston that aren't just good old American burger joints.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    China town has some of the BEST food too, I am telling you, fresh whole chickens, spices, hand made noodles, fresh fruits, etc.......

food dessert my butt, some of the freshest mexican, authentic italian, anything u want you can find in Boston, plus all TYPES of grocery stores to suit your needs from market basket types to upscale organic co ops.

farmers market is right there in town ….
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I totally stopped my diet on my vacation I have plenty of time to suffer the rest of the year. I ate healthy like smoked salmon cobb salads etc but I had some junk too. You have to enjoy life.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Day 3 into my vacation and I'm over it! Mediocre breakfast without low calorie and filling options, so I eat too much crap food because I'm starving... Spending too much time finding a restaurant that, if I'm lucky, have side salads instead of fries (already so sick of side salads) and more than burgers, sandwiches and salads... Trying something I've been craving and wasting 450 calories on a mediocre sodium bomb...

Gosh. How do people do it? I'm not that picky but we're walking a lot and I've been hungry so grilled chicken and salad just doesn't cut it (and seriously.. SICK OF SALADS).

Ok rant over. At least my dessert at lunch was good, but that's 500 calories out of all I ate today...

where are you that doesn't have these things?
  • newfutures
    Options
    Isn't vacation synonymous with diet break or is that just me?

no
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    So do you make these threads as a humble brag so that those of us chained to desks this week can envy your glamorous life of cheap hotels and snotty kids? I read the OP and it seemed to ask for advice. Then you got advice and it seemed to upset you. How can you not plan where you're going to eat? Do you plan any of the day's activities? Or do you just wander around satisfying your kids' whims?

Anyway, if I remember right you only have three pounds to lose so I don't get why you're stressing. I have 6 to lose and I eat at maintenance when the mood strikes. It's just vanity pounds, right?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    newfutures wrote: »

no

Yes.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

no

No only if you like feeling resentful and deprived
  • newfutures
    Options
    Boston then going to Maine. We have two kids, including a very crabby girl who hates walking though so options are limited, as we can't move the car until we leave in 3 days, and finding things they will eat is tough... We use cheap hotels with free breakfast to save money. I don't like staying in one place too long or I get bored.. and really wanted to do this trip. Honestly next year I think we will be staying home... just very frustrating.

hmmmm I know people in boston. I think you need to get on the internet and look or stop relying on cheap hotels and look at the restaurant menus again
  • ndj1979
    edited July 2015
    Options

no

yes, it is.

Good luck trying to be 100% accurate with logging on vacation, and why would you want to be? It is good to loosen up and just enjoy good food, and good company every once in a while.

you can't let your lifestyle change be a ball and chain.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lolz. Nope.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

no

No only if you like feeling resentful and deprived

In all seriousness, I've lost 64 pounds, 6 to go. Your ticker says you've lost 4 with 71 to go. It is a loooooooooooooong road with a lot of family events, barbecues, vacations, parties, holidays . . . If you're lucky enough to go on vacation, take a break. Being in a strange city can be stressful enough without adding a calorie deficit on top of it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Vacation is.... you know.... vacation. Vacation from all the things that stress you out. Enjoying yourself. Seeing new things. Experiencing new activities. Eating good/new food and drinking good/new beverages.
    Sure the kids are there, but as the parent, I (and hubby) make the decisions. Every restaurant has a kids menu. There's always something on there they can have. Period. Restuarant choices can be planned or spontaneous. Doesn't matter. It's vacation.

When vacation is over, you go back to all the normal stuff.

That's vacation for me.

• kevinblanton
    kevinblanton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live in Boston -- if you're looking for healthy fast food that the kids will eat, try b*good or UFood Grill. If it's more of a dining out spot, try Blu, Post 390, EVOO, or Oleana.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I usually eat and drink everything in site when on vacation ...
This discussion has been closed.