avoiding carbs makes you lose weight

Options

Replies

• rngreen
    rngreen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So why does the mind crave the carbs then if our bodies can work perfectly fine without them? It's a usual thing to give into carbs when you've craved them all your life and been over weight like I have. How do you revert your thinking to the opposite when you eat these things and steel feel like you can eat a scabby dog cos you feel very hungry still. I get what your saying but am a carb lover and having protein n veg just does not fill me up as much for obvious reasons. Is snackin more often of the protein and veg the way forward to this?

I don't mean to be dis respectfull to OP just curious how to keep up with the protein and veg and steer clear or carbs.

:)

If anyone ever took a basic nutrition class, they would know exactly why the mind craves carbs. Carbohydrates are broken down by the body into its simpler form glycogen. Glycogen is then stored for later use in the liver. The brain uses this glycogen for basic function. Your brain NEEDS carbs!! When you deprive your body of all carbohydrates, it begins to first break down lean muscle mass in order to make that glycogen. If it is not getting the energy it needs from the muscle mass, then and only then does it begin to break down your adipose tissue.

I believe that the reason why simply eating protein and vegetables (which do have some carbs) is not satisfying you is because your body is trying to tell you that you are depriving it of something that it desperately needs. A person cannot sustain on a zero carb diet for an extended period of time. I think that it is more important to eat the right kind of carb - complex vs. simple.
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wondered what you all think of this way of thinking?

I agree with a good portion of this post...

And am always looking to add low carb lifestylers as online friends.
    :flowerforyou:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Not to be confrontational, but to say that people should avoid eating dairy because calves grow 300% in a year has got to be the most stupid argument ever. Human babies triple their weight in a year too; it's called growth. Birds grow even faster that that, and they don't even get milk. If you want to argue that you should limit dairy because it is high in lactose, or to limit yourself to low fat dairy because of high saturated milkfats, I would be OK with that. But please, can we make this an intelligent discussion?
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So why does the mind crave the carbs then if our bodies can work perfectly fine without them? It's a usual thing to give into carbs when you've craved them all your life and been over weight like I have. How do you revert your thinking to the opposite when you eat these things and steel feel like you can eat a scabby dog cos you feel very hungry still. I get what your saying but am a carb lover and having protein n veg just does not fill me up as much for obvious reasons. Is snackin more often of the protein and veg the way forward to this?

I don't mean to be dis respectfull to OP just curious how to keep up with the protein and veg and steer clear or carbs.

If anyone ever took a basic nutrition class, they would know exactly why the mind craves carbs. Carbohydrates are broken down by the body into its simpler form glycogen. Glycogen is then stored for later use in the liver. The brain uses this glycogen for basic function. Your brain NEEDS carbs!! When you deprive your body of all carbohydrates, it begins to first break down lean muscle mass in order to make that glycogen. If it is not getting the energy it needs from the muscle mass, then and only then does it begin to break down your adipose tissue.

I believe that the reason why simply eating protein and vegetables (which do have some carbs) is not satisfying you is because your body is trying to tell you that you are depriving it of something that it desperately needs. A person cannot sustain on a zero carb diet for an extended period of time. I think that it is more important to eat the right kind of carb - complex vs. simple.

Again, what about people groups who do not have "carbs" for brain function if that is the preferred fuel? You only start to use lean muscle mass from your own body in the absence of protein in your diet. So vegetarians who do not know how to eat enough vegetative protein tend to be sickly. Proteins and fats are what your body prefers for fuel. In the absence of carbs, your body will use its own fat stores for energy and "brain activity" and as long as you are ingesting enough fats and proteins you can live a long, healthy life completely free of carbs with no harm to your body.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    Not to be confrontational, but to say that people should avoid eating dairy because calves grow 300% in a year has got to be the most stupid argument ever. Human babies triple their weight in a year too; it's called growth. Birds grow even faster that that, and they don't even get milk. If you want to argue that you should limit dairy because it is high in lactose, or to limit yourself to low fat dairy because of high saturated milkfats, I would be OK with that. But please, can we make this an intelligent discussion?

Humans, like most mammals are born with an enzyme that is necessary to break down lactose in dairy. Once we cut down on our "lactose" consumption our bodies stop producing this enzyme. That is what we call, "lactose intolerance". It is really the lose of the enzyme needed to break down the lactose. We can still eat dairy that is high in fat (butter, heavy cream, full fat yogurts...) and aged cheeses (the lactose is broken down in the aging process). Milk is the culprit. We don't need it once we are weaned (we can get our calcium from other sources). Mother nature knows best.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

If you took a basic nutrition class, get your money back!

The brain does not require you to eat carbs. Period. This is an absolute fact. The brain actually will preferentially use ketone bodies ( the end product of fat metabolism in low carb state). In addition the body generates the glucose it needs in a process called gluconeogenisis. Finally the breakdown of carbohydrates is to simple sugars not glycogen. Which simple sugars depends on the carbohydrate ingested. Glycogen is a storage form of glucose mainly in liver and muscle.

Countless studies show that carbohydrates are not essential. However, the OP did not talk about NO carbohydrates. The post talked about limiting starchy vegetables, etc. Carbohydrates seem to be a religion on MFP. People need to see what works for them. Personal preference and cultural influences all have a role in whether a particular eating style will be successful for a given individual. Inaccurate pronouncements stated as fact do not help the community.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options

The brain does not require you to eat carbs. Period. This is an absolute fact. The brain actually will preferentially use ketone bodies ( the end product of fat metabolism in low carb state). In addition the body generates the glucose it needs in a process called gluconeogenisis. Finally the breakdown of carbohydrates is to simple sugars not glycogen. Which simple sugars depends on the carbohydrate ingested. Glycogen is a storage form of glucose mainly in liver and muscle.

Countless studies show that carbohydrates are not essential. However, the OP did not talk about NO carbohydrates. The post talked about limiting starchy vegetables, etc. Carbohydrates seem to be a religion on MFP. People need to see what works for them. Personal preference and cultural influences all have a role in whether a particular eating style will be successful for a given individual. Inaccurate pronouncements stated as fact do not help the community.

Pretty much all correct, except for the point that brains prefer ketone bodies - ketone bodies are VERY useful, don't get me wrong, but it's actually the heart that prefers ketone bodies - the brain uses glucose preferentially.

(Can't find a very good source to back me up, but this paper http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20804725 references it indirectly. In the abstract it mentions "The transition from glucose to ketone bodies as a major energy source is an evolutionary conserved adaptation to food deprivation" i.e. glucose is used first).

It is also a point that you can make FAT from CARBS, but you cannot make CARBS from FAT. The only way to get carbs is to eat carbs (this is almost true - proteins can occasionally make carbs too). If the body needs carbs in quantity, and yes - it does, you can only get them by eating them.

Of course simple sugars spike the insulin a lot more whereas complex carbs are digested to simple carbs more slowly. The slower digestion time means your blood glucose doesn't go to a theme park all the time.

Hope this helps.
    H
  • runnerdad
    Options

Humans, like most mammals are born with an enzyme that is necessary to break down lactose in dairy. Once we cut down on our "lactose" consumption our bodies stop producing this enzyme. That is what we call, "lactose intolerance". It is really the lose of the enzyme needed to break down the lactose. We can still eat dairy that is high in fat (butter, heavy cream, full fat yogurts...) and aged cheeses (the lactose is broken down in the aging process). Milk is the culprit. We don't need it once we are weaned (we can get our calcium from other sources). Mother nature knows best.

Agreed. And I am not saying we 'need' dairy. Obviously, if you are lactose intolerant or dairy allergic, you should avoid it. But, if you do tolerate it, it can be a useful part of your diet, eaten appropriately.
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    feel like you can eat a scabby dog

sorry but BAHAHAHAHA this made me smile
  • helenium
    Options

I've got to say, I agree that the 300% argument is stupid, but for different reasons. I guess for humans you could say there's a difference between growing *upwards* (lengthening bones, increasing muscle, developing tiny organs into big organs) and growing *sideways* i.e. fat into adipose tissue. Milk growth factors would typically stimulate the upwards kind of growth.

And that's not all. Milk growth factors such as IGF-1 are proteins. We digest proteins in the stomach and annihilate their activity. Proteinaceous milk growth factors would indeed have no effect on humans -- you'd have to inject IGF-1 directly into the blood stream to get that effect.

So it's not really a problem to drink milk for the reasons stated.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Pretty much all correct, except for the point that brains prefer ketone bodies - ketone bodies are VERY useful, don't get me wrong, but it's actually the heart that prefers ketone bodies - the brain uses glucose preferentially.

(Can't find a very good source to back me up, but this paper http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20804725 references it indirectly. In the abstract it mentions "The transition from glucose to ketone bodies as a major energy source is an evolutionary conserved adaptation to food deprivation" i.e. glucose is used first).

It is also a point that you can make FAT from CARBS, but you cannot make CARBS from FAT. The only way to get carbs is to eat carbs (this is almost true - proteins can occasionally make carbs too). If the body needs carbs in quantity, and yes - it does, you can only get them by eating them.

Of course simple sugars spike the insulin a lot more whereas complex carbs are digested to simple carbs more slowly. The slower digestion time means your blood glucose doesn't go to a theme park all the time.

Hope this helps.
    H

Thanks for your support. :flowerforyou: I guess I wasn't quite clear in my post. When I referred to preferential use of ketones for the brain I was discussing preferential as opposed to other tissues. Hasselbalch, SG; Knudsen, GM; Jakobsen, J; Hageman, LP; Holm, S; Paulson, OB (1994). "Brain metabolism during short-term starvation in humans.". Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism 14 (1): 125–31. During a continued low carbohydrate state the brain will actually get the majority of its energy needs from ketones (i.e.70%).The heart, actually doesn't usually get much energy from ketones (although it does use them) it uses fatty acids which are abundant under low carbohydrate states. Finally, you aren't quite correct about creating carbohydrate. The process of gluconeogenesis actually does make glucose (a carbohydrate) from non-carbohydrate molecules (lactate, glycerol (the backbone of triglycerides-fat), and from certain amino acids from proteins.:glasses:
  • runnerdad
    Options

I've got to say, I agree that the 300% argument is stupid, but for different reasons. I guess for humans you could say there's a difference between growing *upwards* (lengthening bones, increasing muscle, developing tiny organs into big organs) and growing *sideways* i.e. fat into adipose tissue. Milk growth factors would typically stimulate the upwards kind of growth.

And that's not all. Milk growth factors such as IGF-1 are proteins. We digest proteins in the stomach and annihilate their activity. Proteinaceous milk growth factors would indeed have no effect on humans -- you'd have to inject IGF-1 directly into the blood stream to get that effect.

So it's not really a problem to drink milk for the reasons stated.

Actually, a yearling calf is not fat. The 300% weight gain is due to 'growing upwards" and not 'sideways' (to borrow your terms), so it is really quite comparable. A market steer is usually about two years old - you have to feed them the second year to get 'sideways' growth. But, we digress.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

Not stupid when 8 year old girls have blood in their underwear and running down their legs.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Not stupid when 8 year old girls have blood in their underwear and running down their legs.

You're implying that milk is causing earlier menarche in girls? (In a very crude way!)

In the 19th century, girls did not menstruate until age 16. And...they also drank milk then. Have you ever heard of "milkmaids"? Dairy consumption has been a staple in the west for centuries. If it caused early menarche then it would been a sudden drop, not a steady decline. Average age is 11, not 8, btw.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.
    H

Thanks for your support. :flowerforyou: I guess I wasn't quite clear in my post. When I referred to preferential use of ketones for the brain I was discussing preferential as opposed to other tissues. Hasselbalch, SG; Knudsen, GM; Jakobsen, J; Hageman, LP; Holm, S; Paulson, OB (1994). "Brain metabolism during short-term starvation in humans.". Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism 14 (1): 125–31. During a continued low carbohydrate state the brain will actually get the majority of its energy needs from ketones (i.e.70%).The heart, actually doesn't usually get much energy from ketones (although it does use them) it uses fatty acids which are abundant under low carbohydrate states. Finally, you aren't quite correct about creating carbohydrate. The process of gluconeogenesis actually does make glucose (a carbohydrate) from non-carbohydrate molecules (lactate, glycerol (the backbone of triglycerides-fat), and from certain amino acids from proteins.:glasses:

Excellent posts you guys! I'm glad there are people on here who can put what I'm thinking into words so eloquently. :drinker: :drinker:
  • helenium
    Options

OK that makes sense and thanks for finding me a proper reference. Oh yes, and glycerol from the backbone of triglycerides does indeed allow glucose formation esp. in the liver. Lactate isn't produced from fatty acids though. I always overlook glycerol...!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I feel that if you choose to do that to your body then go for it. I on the other hand eat at least 270 or higher grams of carbs per day!! Oh no so many carbs and for those who say CARBS=FAT well that is only true to an extent. We eat carbs and they are easily used up as the main source of energy for functioning in daily life so unless there is an overconsumption carbs DO NOT equal fat. Your body stores too much of anything as "fat." I eat a high carb diet so you could say but I also do not eat my meals with all carbs because when eating healthy it is important for BALANCE between macronutrients as well and that I do. Successfully lost weight and have maintained it while feeling great.

I personally could never do low carb because I blackout, get light headed and dizzy. I tried and it was a fail carbs with a balance diet works perfect for me :)
  • LaJauna
    Options
    I feel that if you choose to do that to your body then go for it. I on the other hand eat at least 270 or higher grams of carbs per day!! Oh no so many carbs and for those who say CARBS=FAT well that is only true to an extent. We eat carbs and they are easily used up as the main source of energy for functioning in daily life so unless there is an overconsumption carbs DO NOT equal fat. Your body stores too much of anything as "fat." I eat a high carb diet so you could say but I also do not eat my meals with all carbs because when eating healthy it is important for BALANCE between macronutrients as well and that I do. Successfully lost weight and have maintained it while feeling great.

I personally could never do low carb because I blackout, get light headed and dizzy. I tried and it was a fail carbs with a balance diet works perfect for me :)

I am sure that you are working out a lot. For those like me who are older and can't work out hard (arthritis, broken bones...whatever) Carb loading is not a very good way of eating for weight loss. I have inflammation/arthritis and if I eat sugars or starchy carbs I have major flare ups including irritable bowel syndrome. I have to eat less then 100 grams a day of good quality (gluten-free, veggie type) carbs. I do eat a bowl of steel cut oats every other day with half and half and cinnamon and some pecans sprinkled on top, but I sweeten with Splenda drops. I can eat a whole head of cauliflower dripping with butter! I am losing weight and not feeling deprived in the least. I know that eating high carb is painful for me. It is a great motivator to stay clean.
    Oh, the blackouts and dizziness could have been caused by not having enough salt/potassium in your diet while low carbing. You need more not less because of the strong diuretic effect of cutting out carbs.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options

I am sure that you are working out a lot. For those like me who are older and can't work out hard (arthritis, broken bones...whatever) Carb loading is not a very good way of eating for weight loss. I have inflammation/arthritis and if I eat sugars or starchy carbs I have major flare ups including irritable bowel syndrome. I have to eat less then 100 grams a day of good quality (gluten-free, veggie type) carbs. I do eat a bowl of steel cut oats every other day with half and half and cinnamon and some pecans sprinkled on top, but I sweeten with Splenda drops. I can eat a whole head of cauliflower dripping with butter! I am losing weight and not feeling deprived in the least. I know that eating high carb is painful for me. It is a great motivator to stay clean.
    Oh, the blackouts and dizziness could have been caused by not having enough salt/potassium in your diet while low carbing. You need more not less because of the strong diuretic effect of cutting out carbs.

I get plent of both in the diet I just couldn't handle it. I was just adding my two cents I wasn't meaning to say that it couldn't work due to conditions that a person has to deal with diabetes and etc.. My carbs generally do not come from breads and pastas I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. I have IBS as well and I do not carb load by any means I am just a very active person. I can't sit still for long I had to quit my desk job because I couldn't sit all day.
  • R222
    R222 Posts: 13
    Options
    I just found a piece my Marisa Peer (hypnosis and weight loss guru). She believes that wheat and dairy are evil (has very strong views ie "Dairy is your enemy: Cow's milk is to nourish calves and gives them a 300 per cent weight gain in a year. Milk literally sends a message to cells that says GROW! Fully-grown human cells get a similar message. And cheese is a concentrated growth hormone".)

but also says this about carbs vs proteins:

"The key to making your body a fantastic fat-burning machine is to avoid starchy carbs... because they make you cling on to fat reserves. Our bodies were not designed to eat carbs and can do very well without them. Avoiding them for 10 "hard core" diet days is the key to weight loss.

You won't feel hungry, and the pounds will fall off - from your stomach first, as this is where fat from carbs is stored. This is why beer drinkers and those who over-indulge in bread, pastries and pasta have a big tummy.

In America they call it a carb body. Carbs also cause huge bloating - cut them out and you will beat the bloat. The hormone insulin plays a vital part. Its role is to store fat, so it's almost impossible to lose weight once you have eaten carbs because when you eat any starchy or sugary food, insulin levels go up.

For example: if you eat carbs five times a day - cereal for breakfast, biscuit mid-morning, sandwich for lunch, another biscuit mid-afternoon, then potatoes or pasta with dinner - your body will be constantly cranking out insulin, making it impossible to lose weight. People with weight problems have a problem with insulin and fat storage that their naturally skinny friends don't.
    It's not fair, but it's better to accept this fact and work with it.

Athletes load up on carbs precisely because the body stores them, whereas body-builders avoid them before competing so their body burns fat and their muscles are more defined.

Protein is a building food. The body uses it to build muscle and bones, so if you eat chicken and vegetables, the body will use it rather than store it. If you eat pasta or risotto your body will store that for later and continue to store it, as "later" never happens.
    The body works harder to digest protein too, using up more calories and increasing your metabolic rate.

Skinny people who can eat anything because they have a fantastic metabolism are a real minority. So you must avoid bread, pasta, noodles, rice, cake, pastry, biscuits and potatoes and anything with sugar in it.

You must also cut out dairy because lactose is milk sugar. Avoid salt too - it makes your body tissues store fluid, so cutting it out helps you on your way to a flat tum. After the 10 days, limiting carbs or not eating them after lunch is the secret to keeping the weight off. But no booze...it's full of sugar.

It may seem daunting but remind yourself that you have the rest of your life to eat - but right now you want to drop 10lbs.
    Stick to this plan and you won't feel hungry. There are no side-effects, no bad breath and no constipation."

She then gives a diet plan (eggs for breakfast, protein and salad for lunch, protein and veg for dinner).

Oh and she also says this - "Never eat late at night: Primitive man got up at dawn and retired as it got dark. Eating too late leaves our bodies full of undigested food. Our metabolism slows down dramatically at night even if we are awake because nature assumes we're sleeping. Our heart-rate slows down and digestion is more difficult."

Wondered what you all think of this way of thinking?

I think it all makes sense, I have just started a healthy carb diet, so waiting to see how it will work with me. Thanks for sharing.