Love handles

Options
hi can anyone give me some advice on how to loose my fat on my love handles. exercises, foods to eat and not to eat thanks in advance

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You can't target reduce fat from a certain area.

Just eat in a caloric deficit, and eventually they will go away, or be reduced.

There are no magic foods, pills, shakes. etc. Calories matter for weight loss.
  • joetaff193
    joetaff193 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks what's caloric deficit? I've been eating 1800 a day as to never counting before cheers matey
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    joetaff193 wrote: »
    Thanks what's caloric deficit? I've been eating 1800 a day as to never counting before cheers matey

Read the stickies.

A caloric deficit is consuming less calories than your body needs to maintain its weight.
  • fitmap73
    fitmap73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm facing the same challenge...everything I've read is that overall diet and activity is the way to go, that you can't really target abs/handles with exercises or foods. You just have to get down to at least 15% body fat (for men). Caloric deficit just means you need to burn more calories than you eat every day. 1,800 calories is great, if you are also working out (men must lift weights) and staying active (10,000 steps a day) you'll hit your target!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I follow. Are you eating 1800 calories a day, or are you not counting calories?
  • joetaff193
    Options
    I never used to count but when I came on here it said to eat only 1800 a day which I have been sticking to and every other day going to gym and burning 500 cardio weights so I should just stick to that ?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I never used to count but when I came on here it said to eat only 1800 a day which I have been sticking to and every other day going to gym and burning 500 cardio weights so I should just stick to that ?

Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • joetaff193
    Options
    Nope
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're spot-on and headed for success, Joe...

Have a look at this thread, it seems to sum-up a great deal of knowledge and experience and is right inline with getting your love-handles addressed.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

• joetaff193
    Options
    Should I be ? Lol
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If you're accurately eating 1800 calories a day, and accurately doing 500 calories worth of cardio a day, you'll lose weight. Though with 14 pounds to lose, you might lose them too fast, increasing the chance you'll lose not just fat, but lean body mass.
    Accurately eating 1800 calories a day means weighing food you eat (not just measuring, but actual weighting, measuring with cups / tsps / ml aren't accurate) and recording it. Exercise burns predicted by MFP are usually over-rated. So long as you accurately eat less than you accurately use (not just exercise, but day to day calorie burns which MFP should estimate for you based on activity level) you will lose weight in the long term.
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Should I be ? Lol

If you're really hungry on a day, feel free to eat some of them back. Try not to eat all of them as myfitnesspal tends to overestimate calorie burns. People who do eat back their calories usually only eat back 50%
  • joetaff193
    Options
    I don't gym everyday I have a rest day in between I understand what you mean thank you all so much
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I don't gym everyday I have a rest day in between I understand what you mean thank you all so much

You should be eating your exercise calories.

On a typical day you eat 1800 calories and burn 500. 1800-500 = 1300.

1300 net is just above the minimum RDA calories for a female.

Eat your exercise calories back and read the stickies because it's evident you haven't.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Ht/wt/age.

1800 sounds low to me for a 22yr old male. Sounds aggressive, like you put in 2lbs per week but only have a little left to lose, ie vanity lbs.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Foods to eat: Anything you want up to your calorie limit.
    Foods not to eat: Anything above your calorie limit.
  • joetaff193
    Options
    I'm 5.8 and 12.5 stone 22 years old and what are stickies
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    How much do you exercise....at all. 1800 is pretty low if you're doing a few hours of exercise per week. You're literally the same height/wt I was at when I was in the best shape of my life (at 24-28 yrs old).

You should be eating close to maintenance, doing cardio if you like it, and on some sort of progressive lifting program.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Eat your exercise calories back and read the stickies because it's evident you haven't.

Huh, I thought exercise was added to your BMR and daily activity to give you more calorie burn, not take away from your calorie intake.

IE: I have 2600 daily from bmr and daily activity, 500 from exercising would give me 3100, I only eat 1800 so I have a 1300 calorie surplus for the day.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options

Huh, I thought exercise was added to your BMR and daily activity to give you more calorie burn, not take away from your calorie intake.

IE: I have 2600 daily from bmr and daily activity, 500 from exercising would give me 3100, I only eat 1800 so I have a 1300 calorie surplus for the day before going over.