Any successful weight loss just following fitness pal's recommend calories

Options
124»

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Great job being so sensible, OP. Sounds like you have a great plan and journey ahead of you, and I look forward to seeing your progress! I lost around 45 pounds just using MFP, and toward the end my loss was very slow (half a pound a week), so just remember that the closer you are to your goal, the slower your progress will be. Good luck!
  • Littleowl101
    Littleowl101 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    83 pounds, here. I do work out (walking, yoga, lifting), but that's for fun, not because I feel like I have to.

You can do it :)

Well done on your weight loss :) I wish I was one of those people who exercise for fun haha, and I think I can do especially with all the advice and help from MFP

You have to find what is fun for you. I like exercise as much as I would like to get an STD. I wanted to be a runner except for the fact that I can't breathe after I run a block. Then I got a bike for the first time in like 2 decades. I LOVE my bike! I ride 10 miles and while it is still a struggle at times, I feel good about it. It's not a chore. The onslaught of afternoon storms (and flash flooding) here the last 2 weeks have hindered my riding and I can feel myself turning into a big ol' B the longer I go without being able to ride.

I'll be honest I did precious little in terms of exercise pretty much the whole time I've been losing weight, and what I have done has been more sporadic than child support payments from my ex. And I'm still 50 pounds down from where I started at last year. :)

Hahaha this genuinely made me lol, i know what you mean though. I did Zumba a few years back and loved it, I managed to lose a stone doing it but the instructor left and even though I have tried a few different Zumba classes since, I can never find an instructor that made it as fun. I also loved polercise but wasn't very good at it haha.

If you enjoy it, then keep doing it! I'm sure I'm quite the laughable spectacle on the side of the road huffing and puffing going up a modest hill, but IDGAF because I'm in it for the downhill breeze in my hair (through my helmet) moments. ;)

Hahaha I'm sure most of
    All these success stories are helping me with having the motivation to continue. I'm on my 4th day logging my calories (second attempt) and going good so far! I have a lot to lose. And I'm happy to know that MFP works without much excercise. It's hard for me to a lot of excercise at the weight I'm out. But hopefully I will be able to after I've lost a little weight.
    My doctor prescribed me Contrave, tho I have not started it yet.
    I ordered a food scale which will arrive tomorrow.
    Giving this 100% this time. It's nice to see the support here!

I'm glad my post could help you as much as it's helped me :) I was a little unsure about asking my question invade I came across stupid but I'm so glad I did because as you can see the replies have been so helpful and given me more motivation.. So If your unsure if anything just ask.. I'm glad I did. Good luck :)
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    Mine is currently set to sedentary too so I'm going to see how that goes and adjust it if needs be.
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    Great job being so sensible, OP. Sounds like you have a great plan and journey ahead of you, and I look forward to seeing your progress! I lost around 45 pounds just using MFP, and toward the end my loss was very slow (half a pound a week), so just remember that the closer you are to your goal, the slower your progress will be. Good luck!

45lb is amazing, well done you! I expect it to be difficult near the end but I think seeing any loss will motivate me :)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It is calories in being less than calories out that works, MFP just makes it easier to determine and track how many. I have consistently lost weight and am now down over 35 pounds since March. I have been on MFP since May. The forums have helped me stay motivated and on track. The program makes logging so much more accurate and easy.
  • stephenmakin1
    stephenmakin1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25kg - and when I stopped tracking put on 2kg - that's 55lb in amercian money
  • crackers8199
    crackers8199 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    as someone who sees MFP as something that has seriously changed my life (380+ day streak and 42 lbs down), one other thing i'd recommend that i haven't seen anyone here mention is a fitbit. it helps you get a better idea of how many calories you're actually burning in a day and will send the adjustment right into MFP.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,894 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Littleowl101 if this is a current picture and your goal is 14lbs you are probably already within a normal weight range and you are trying to tweak. You are also already engaged in exercise.

So, you are not in the same boat (as much free fat available to be lost) as a lot of us are/were.

In order to minimize lean muscle loss you probably should only be aiming for 0.5lbs per week. And I am not sure that you should aim to increase your exercise right away, if your main interest is weight loss.

New and extensive exercise tends to lead to water weight gains and together with a small deficit often results in initial discouragement when people don't see the scale move right away.

If your goal is NOT weight loss, but being more toned/more fit, you may really benefit from lifting progressive weights.

Anyway: the quick points I want to make (cause I have to go) are:

double check your activity level: most people are NOT sedentary = 35 minutes of activity or 3500 steps a day.

your exercise using mfp calculations gets added on top. especially if you are exercising a lot you HAVE to eat back your true net exercise calories.

While many people say start with eating back half and re-evaluate based on progress, if you don't have a lot to lose, like you don't, you may want to start by eating back 75%

use a weight trendline app to record your weight and cut through the masking effects of water weight changes due to sodium, exercise or TOM. www.weightgrapher.com / trendweight with a supported scale or free fitbit account / happy scale on the iphone

try to eat close to 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight (unless you have kidney problems) to protect your muscle mass, and *at least* 0.35 to 0.45g of fat per lb of bodyweight to ensure your vitamins are absorbed and hormones operate as intended. The rest of it can be the mix of carbs and fats that appeals to you.

Take care and good luck.
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @Littleowl101 if this is a current picture and your goal is 14lbs you are probably already within a normal weight range and you are trying to tweak. You are also already engaged in exercise.

So, you are not in the same boat (as much free fat available to be lost) as a lot of us are/were.

In order to minimize lean muscle loss you probably should only be aiming for 0.5lbs per week. And I am not sure that you should aim to increase your exercise right away, if your main interest is weight loss.

New and extensive exercise tends to lead to water weight gains and together with a small deficit often results in initial discouragement when people don't see the scale move right away.

If your goal is NOT weight loss, but being more toned/more fit, you may really benefit from lifting progressive weights.

Anyway: the quick points I want to make (cause I have to go) are:

double check your activity level: most people are NOT sedentary = 35 minutes of activity or 3500 steps a day.

your exercise using mfp calculations gets added on top. especially if you are exercising a lot you HAVE to eat back your true net exercise calories.

While many people say start with eating back half and re-evaluate based on progress, if you don't have a lot to lose, like you don't, you may want to start by eating back 75%

use a weight trendline app to record your weight and cut through the masking effects of water weight changes due to sodium, exercise or TOM. www.weightgrapher.com / trendweight with a supported scale or free fitbit account / happy scale on the iphone

try to eat close to 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight (unless you have kidney problems) to protect your muscle mass, and *at least* 0.35 to 0.45g of fat per lb of bodyweight to ensure your vitamins are absorbed and hormones operate as intended. The rest of it can be the mix of carbs and fats that appeals to you.

Take care and good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, 14lb is the minimum I'd like to lose, ideally I'd like to lose between 14lb and 20lb but I'd be happy with the 14lb, I know it doesn't seem a lot but I already have lost some weight, not much but I'm hoping MFP helps shed the rest in a healthier way.
    Currently my bmi is overweight but I'd like to get back into the healthy range for my height.
    I've taken your advice on board though and I have also downloaded happy scale. :)