Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ^flagged for spam

As if I get a kickback from the DAILY MAIL O_o

Just for the record and besides the point? I wouldn't cite The Mail to back up a claim I was making. They're not really a credible source.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own strong opinions and thoughts about supplements, but I can tell you what I took during my journey. Keep in mind I had a pretty intense workout schedule and definitely controlled my eating as well so I can't say if the supplements actually did anything for me.

BCAA'S (was supposed to help maintain your muscle mass, something like protien)

Acidophilus Two Billion (heard it was good for you)

B 12 ( I heard it increases your metabolism)

Maca (I LOST TONS OF FAT doing my cardio therefore lost some of my booty lol I wanted to achieve that big booty I previously had and heard this worked plus it was said to increase your sexual desire which couldn't hurt either, so I tried. In addition to taking I did major Squats and weight training so I'm not sure which really did the trick or if it assisted)

Biotin (Mainly I took to see if it would help with my skin. Couldn't tell u for sure if it was the biotin that worked or the excessive water I was drinking and sweating to get rid of toxins that improved my skin)

Super Cleanse (THIS REALLY WORKED FOR ME, MOST IN PART BEACAUSE I WASNT HAVING REGULAR BOWEL MOVEMENTS TMI
    I KNOW, BUT TRUE. IM SURE OTHERS WILL REPLY THAT WITH ENOUGH WATER FRUIT AND VEGGIES YOU CAN ACHIEVE THIS TOO, BUT IM JUST REFERRING TO MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)

Again this was all personal experience used in conjuction with DAILY EXERCISE AND DIETING. I know it's hard for others to refrain from judging and being cruel in forums, but anyways I hope this helps.

B12 does not increase your metabolism.

The weight training is what helped you get your butt back.

Don't need anything more than fiber/fluids/exercise for your colon.

None of the above is necessary for anyone.

Lord have mercy, even with all the warnings that this is of personal experience and backing up my claims with regular exercise and diet someone still has to be negative and judgemental instead of JUST offering their own advice.

Just pointing out misinformation for the lurkers.

Where in my post did I judge you? I'll gladly edit out the judgmental parts if you can point them out.

I am impressed with your rapid editing skills. My phone is too slow. There's always eyes.......
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Everyone has their own strong opinions and thoughts about supplements, but I can tell you what I took during my journey. Keep in mind I had a pretty intense workout schedule and definitely controlled my eating as well so I can't say if the supplements actually did anything for me.

Maca (I LOST TONS OF FAT doing my cardio therefore lost some of my booty lol I wanted to achieve that big booty I previously had and heard this worked plus it was said to increase your sexual desire which couldn't hurt either, so I tried. In addition to taking I did major Squats and weight training so I'm not sure which really did the trick or if it assisted)

Biotin (Mainly I took to see if it would help with my skin. Couldn't tell u for sure if it was the biotin that worked or the excessive water I was drinking and sweating to get rid of toxins that improved my skin)

Super Cleanse (THIS REALLY WORKED FOR ME, MOST IN PART BEACAUSE I WASNT HAVING REGULAR BOWEL MOVEMENTS TMI
    I KNOW, BUT TRUE. IM SURE OTHERS WILL REPLY THAT WITH ENOUGH WATER FRUIT AND VEGGIES YOU CAN ACHIEVE THIS TOO, BUT IM JUST REFERRING TO MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)

Again this was all personal experience used in conjuction with DAILY EXERCISE AND DIETING. I know it's hard for others to refrain from judging and being cruel in forums, but anyways I hope this helps.

Lord have mercy, even with all the warnings that this is of personal experience and backing up my claims with regular exercise and diet someone still has to be negative and judgemental instead of JUST offering their own advice.

Just pointing out misinformation for the lurkers.

Where in my post did I judge you? I'll gladly edit out the judgmental parts if you can point them out.

I am impressed with your rapid editing skills. My phone is too slow. There's always eyes.......

:lol:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ^flagged for spam

As if I get a kickback from the DAILY MAIL O_o

Oops! Yeah, now it looks bad because the post was deleted, but the spam talk wasn't about your reply, @kshama2001 it was about someone saying "visit my website! I'll sell you all teh pillz!"

Oh, thanks for clearing that up :)

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Supplements can be effective if you have a deficit of a key nutrient. It is hard to diagnose the deficits. In women athletes iron is the big one. With many of us athletes summer exercise and sweat loss can create magnesium deficiency. It is a learning process. A one size fits all multi vitamin or gummy vitamin is potentially causing more harm than good.

New research is indicating that supplements can inhibit the bodies repair process so don't assume 1000 times the daily allowance of vitamin c and folate aren't hurting you!

Fish oil is highly recommended... This product like all supplements is not regulated for safety so know your Mercury risk.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

To be fair though, "I heard" and "it's supposed to" and "I tried it to see if it would work" doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence.

+1
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    A bunch of posts recommending reasonable measure: No response.

One post recommending the OP pump her body full of unregulated, expensive "supplements of the week" that make false promises: Sure! I'll try that!

I guess some people feel the need to fork over cash for pills to feel like they're accomplishing something?

If I were a lesser person (or just more desperate), I'd get in on this cash cow. If the MFP forums have taught me anything, it's that people will still pay good money for snake oil.

If you ever decide to, please count me in on it. I'm not evil enough to do it on my own but I'll be an excellent minion.

See the poster with the long list of supplements they took - no evidence that any of them had any effect but she is still recommending them! People are crazy for pills, that's all it is.
  • faurotann
    faurotann Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I was taking multi vitamin with plenty of vitamin D. My doctor recommended a vitamin D test and she was right. Now I take a D supplement. I was shocked.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    No supplement will help you lose weight. Depending on your diet a quality multivitamin should not cause any harm and will fill in the gaps, especially for minerals, that you may be missing.

I take a separate calcium supplement since my multivitamin only contains 33% of the RDA. I am not a fan of dairy products, especially milk. While leafy greens contain some calcium it's not enough to achieve my RDA on a consistent basis.

Evaluate the nutrients in your diet and if you have any health conditions check with your doctor before taking anything.

• Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Biotin (Mainly I took to see if it would help with my skin. Couldn't tell u for sure if it was the biotin that worked or the excessive water I was drinking and sweating to get rid of toxins that improved m

One post recommending the OP pump her body full of unregulated, expensive "supplements of the week" that make false promises: Sure! I'll try that!

I guess some people feel the need to fork over cash for pills to feel like they're accomplishing something?

If I were a lesser person (or just more desperate), I'd get in on this cash cow. If the MFP forums have taught me anything, it's that people will still pay good money for snake oil.

If you ever decide to, please count me in on it. I'm not evil enough to do it on my own but I'll be an excellent minion.

See the poster with the long list of supplements they took - no evidence that any of them had any effect but she is still recommending them! People are crazy for pills, that's all it is.

Im not recommending, just telling her what I used, and what I THOUGHT contributed on my journey, may I add SUCCESSFUL journey. Secondly I am glad to say I am the only one to recieve a thanks from the forum creator while everyone else is just being NEGATIVE, JUDGEMENTAL, OR JUST BORED. :)

NO WONDER I STOPPED USING THE FORUM PPL JUST NEED ATTN...

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

To be fair though, "I heard" and "it's supposed to" and "I tried it to see if it would work" doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence.

Oh look who it is...u just couldn't stay away. I'm sure you will be at walmart stocking up...slow sarcastic laugh
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Pot meet kettle...
  • mantium999
    Options

Oh look who it is...u just couldn't stay away. I'm sure you will be at walmart stocking up...slow sarcastic laugh

Im not recommending, just telling her what I used, and what I THOUGHT contributed on my journey, may I add SUCCESSFUL journey. Secondly I am glad to say I am the only one to recieve a thanks from the forum creator while everyone else is just being NEGATIVE, JUDGEMENTAL, OR JUST BORED. :)

Congrats. Though, you weren't the only one she thanked. There was another. You're in good company.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

The irony here....oh my.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Pot meet kettle...

Yup, that one needed it. ;) no way I'm taking that one back...let me stop entertaining yall...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Taking supplements that you do not need can actually be dangerous.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    None of them are for weight loss, but I do take a multi vitamin, fish oil, and a calcium supplement daily
  • mantium999
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Especially if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, nursing, have certain medical conditions, or are taking medications for........
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

Especially if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, nursing, have certain medical conditions, or are taking medications for........

Cosign.

Always consult a physician before starting new supplements.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You should never take OTC vitamins without consulting your doctor. People don't realize how dangerous things can be just because you don't need a prescription. Also, if you have enough B12 in your body, supplements won't do anything and the excess will be excreted in your urine. As for "fat burners" or whatever, none of them work. Energy supplements? Get enough sleep, eat some carbs and take a little walk. Drink a small cup of coffee. Don't waste your money on pills you don't need.