Who has tried Shakeology?

Options

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    iammichele wrote: »
    I have been using it myself for a few weeks now. The only flavor I like so far is chocolate. I also add a little bit of PB2 powder with it to add the peanut butter flavor with the chocolate and it's actually really pretty delicious that way. The strawberry flavor made me gag (very chalky) and the others were just ok. I have gone though my first bag of chocolate and have just ordered another as I did like it enough to give it another month long try. I refuse to sign up for the auto ship (free shipping) option as I have heard once they have your credit card number it is hard to put an end to the service. If I continue to buy the product, I will do so on my own free will and will pay for shipping and not be sucked into their automatic program. I will also say, that I have genuinely felt more energetic drinking the shake. I drink one every morning for breakfast and I believe it really has replaced nutrients in my body that I am unable to get on my own with just 1200 calorie a day allowance. I also feel as though I am getting my chocolate "fix" as sweets are a bit part of the reason I am in a position of needing to drop large amounts of weight! I do however feel hungry within a few hours afterwards so for me it has not been a good "replacement" meal.

So you're paying a pretty large amount of money, just because you're on a 1200 calorie diet? Why not eat more calories and get more micronutrients, and then save money? :huh:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    $130 a bag? How long did the bag last?

And I wouldn't call it a MLM. More like a continuity scheme. Either way, I wouldn't drink it again.

Shakeology isn't MLM, but the coaches are. I was conned into being a BB coach for a little while. You make money by signing up more coaches and aligning them properly in your downline. They get you to sign up by telling you that you will be helping others lose weight and get healthy, but the only training you receive is how to sign up coaches and how to set up your organization to maximize your commissions on your downline coaches business.

I did drink Shakeology for awhile. It wasn't awful tasting but it wasn't great. I didn't notice any health or weight loss benefits. And the hard truth is that you have no idea how much of those "superfoods" are actually in there. As someone else said, you can buy a good quality whey protein powder and a green powder for less than half the cost per month, and it will taste better.
  • ediewharton
    ediewharton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been using it myself for a few weeks now. The only flavor I like so far is chocolate. I also add a little bit of PB2 powder with it to add the peanut butter flavor with the chocolate and it's actually really pretty delicious that way. The strawberry flavor made me gag (very chalky) and the others were just ok. I have gone though my first bag of chocolate and have just ordered another as I did like it enough to give it another month long try. I refuse to sign up for the auto ship (free shipping) option as I have heard once they have your credit card number it is hard to put an end to the service. If I continue to buy the product, I will do so on my own free will and will pay for shipping and not be sucked into their automatic program. I will also say, that I have genuinely felt more energetic drinking the shake. I drink one every morning for breakfast and I believe it really has replaced nutrients in my body that I am unable to get on my own with just 1200 calorie a day allowance. I also feel as though I am getting my chocolate "fix" as sweets are a bit part of the reason I am in a position of needing to drop large amounts of weight! I do however feel hungry within a few hours afterwards so for me it has not been a good "replacement" meal.

So you're paying a pretty large amount of money, just because you're on a 1200 calorie diet? Why not eat more calories and get more micronutrients, and then save money? :huh:

^^^^LOL
  • ediewharton
    ediewharton Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »
    I am so sick of hearing about shakeology and21 day fix. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the so called hate is due. The overexposure. These beach body coaches are like freaking leaches and I especially loathe my "friends" who have decided to use our FB friendship as a means to relentlessly plug their product.
    There is no reason that weight loss should cost that much money. I would feel like a fool wasting my money on any of that.

^^^AGREE^^^
    Especially the ones who 2 months ago had absolutely no interest in fitness or diet and are now all of a sudden coaches and experts.
    ... there's no reason weight loss should cost ANY extra money. In theory it should cost less because in a deficit you should be eating less which means you buy less food.
    If I am going to,ask someone for nutrition advice, I am going to ask someone who is an actual nutritionist who may have a degree or two to back up,the information that they give- not someone who decided they would make some extra cash by selling a diet system.

• ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Shakeology isn't MLM, but the coaches are.
    Fair point. I'm more familiar with their Direct Response Marketing (DRM) side, which is where they do the bulk of their sales, but you're right, the coaches are MLM structured.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I am so sick of hearing about shakeology and21 day fix. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the so called hate is due. The overexposure. These beach body coaches are like freaking leaches and I especially loathe my "friends" who have decided to use our FB friendship as a means to relentlessly plug their product.
    There is no reason that weight loss should cost that much money. I would feel like a fool wasting my money on any of that.

^^^AGREE^^^
    Especially the ones who 2 months ago had absolutely no interest in fitness or diet and are now all of a sudden coaches and experts.
    ... there's no reason weight loss should cost ANY extra money. In theory it should cost less because in a deficit you should be eating less which means you buy less food.
    If I am going to,ask someone for nutrition advice, I am going to ask someone who is an actual nutritionist who may have a degree or two to back up,the information that they give- not someone who decided they would make some extra cash by selling a diet system.

exactly. i think its annoying they call themselves coaches
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

^^^AGREE^^^

exactly. i think its annoying they call themselves coaches

"Coaches" "ambassadors" "teams"

Ugh. Trying to put a positive spin on the awful negative.
  • iammichele
    iammichele Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Just a personal preference for me IsaackGMOON. I have been on this "journey" of logging, tracking, dieting, exercising for about a year now and I needed a change from all of the low calorie food choices I have been enjoying to date, especially now that myfitness pal has me cut down to 1200 calories a day. The chocolate shakeology as a meal once per day is working for me at least for now, as I have gotten tired of the same ole, same ole so to speak. I personally like the chocolate, not the others, and what works for me might not be the case for others, just my own experience. Different strokes for different folks. I was just responding to the original request for feedback for those who have tried the product, wasn't looking for opinions or suggestions for my own usage, just responding to the original thread request.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Just a personal preference for me IsaackGMOON. I have been on this "journey" of logging, tracking, dieting, exercising for about a year now and I needed a change from all of the low calorie food choices I have been enjoying to date, especially now that myfitness pal has me cut down to 1200 calories a day. The chocolate shakeology as a meal once per day is working for me at least for now, as I have gotten tired of the same ole, same ole so to speak. I personally like the chocolate, not the others, and what works for me might not be the case for others, just my own experience. Different strokes for different folks. I was just responding to the original request for feedback for those who have tried the product, wasn't looking for opinions or suggestions for my own usage, just responding to the original thread request.

Just seems odd to pay $130 for getting micronutrients when you could just up your calories by 200... that is all lol.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

30 days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I guess my question is, why are you on a 1200 calorie diet if you are active. The majority of women i know are losing on 1700 to 2100 calories. And staying on a low calorie diet for long periods of time can increase adaptive thermogenesis (slowing of your metabolism), and the average person will struggle to get adequate nutrition at that level. Maybe it would be beneficial to up your calories to allow your body to get more nutrients.
  • iammichele
    iammichele Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it's due to the fact that I have hypothyroidism, and have for about 8 years now. I take prescription medication (Synthroid)every day, and suppose I should be grateful that I don't weigh a half a ton right now. I am fairly active walking on average (per my fit bit) 50 miles a week. I also do strength training at the gym 3 times a week as well as either aerobics or zumba once a week. I have bumped up my calories several times during this process and end up gaining weight despite that the calorie bump up is still well below maintenance for my weight. It appears at least for me that the only time I notice my scale moving is when I lower the calories. Trust me, I really wish I could eat more and pull it off! The situation is beyond frustrating to me, however I have still managed to lose 63 pounds this year, with most of that being the first 6 months, however only 18 pounds since January. I am just trying new things at this point, hoping something shocks my body back into weight loss mode. Hanging in there, so it's all good, thanks :)
  • grandmagege
    grandmagege Posts: 42 Member
    Options

The bag last a month. I get it and I like the taste. but I used to get it 3 years ago and it taste horrible and I think cause it was in pouches and now I get the large bag. I like the taste of the big bag . And I like having it for my morning snack.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think it's due to the fact that I have hypothyroidism, and have for about 8 years now. I take prescription medication (Synthroid)every day, and suppose I should be grateful that I don't weigh a half a ton right now. I am fairly active walking on average (per my fit bit) 50 miles a week. I also do strength training at the gym 3 times a week as well as either aerobics or zumba once a week. I have bumped up my calories several times during this process and end up gaining weight despite that the calorie bump up is still well below maintenance for my weight. It appears at least for me that the only time I notice my scale moving is when I lower the calories. Trust me, I really wish I could eat more and pull it off! The situation is beyond frustrating to me, however I have still managed to lose 63 pounds this year, with most of that being the first 6 months, however only 18 pounds since January. I am just trying new things at this point, hoping something shocks my body back into weight loss mode. Hanging in there, so it's all good, thanks :)

Yea, having hypothyroidism is going to do it to you.

Side note, the bold can't be true. The inherent definition of maintenance calories, is the level of calories you maintain. So if you gain (outside for a few lbs from water weight/glycogen or additional food in the GI tract) then you were in a surplus.

• Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've read nothing but negative comments about shakeology and wouldn't touch the stuff. I've also had constant messages on here from a lady who's on shakeology and is also trying to sell the product to me. She is extremely pushy and goes on and on about it and how much weight she's lost on it. Wont mention her name. She's also on Facebook and every post is about shakeology and wanting people to sell the stuff. Good on her for her weight loss ect but don't push products upon vunerable people that want to loose weight. I'd rather starve than put that rubbish in my body. Rant over!!!!
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Bold mine, added for emphasis.

And has it struck you that if a company has shady practices (such as automatic programs, making it hard to put an end to a service, etc.) that possibly it is a shady company that doesn't deserve your money? Just wondering. We all have our preferences, but I prefer not to deal with companies with overtly hostile business practices. Especially when they are dealing in products of dubious utility, for which they won't release contents due to "proprietary interests".
  • srschaffer1
    srschaffer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question from the poster:
    I drink shakeology every morning to substitute my breakfast my breaks at my job are always different and I could never eat enough or well enough to keep me full in the morning so I wasn't starving by 10am.

I like it and I enjoy it.

I typically find that one bag of Shakeology (starting off with half a scoop instead of a full) has made my big bag last about 2 months.

That was just to answer the original question.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I typically find that one bag of Shakeology (starting off with half a scoop instead of a full) has made my big bag last about 2 months.
    Are you adding anything? Because by itself, a half scoop would be less than 100 calories (mixed in water).

• carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I joined a bootcamp few weeks back which actually is in the disguise of Herbalife cult. I am abit of a hypocrite enjoying the free workout with no intentions of buying overpriced shakes and vitamins. The coaches are just deceiving people who dont know any better. The real message they should be giving out is eat well and exercise but all I can hear is there is a shake for everything.
    THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY

Ugh me too (was last year before I started MFP). First session was a "fitness test"- run a mile and then how many situps and pushups could be completed in a minute. That right there turned me off-if you've got horrible form and don't breathe through the movements you can do more in the minute. Doesn't exactly prove your 'fitness level'. But wanted to keep an open mind, so I went to the second session. The bootcamp leader has no fitness training and just yells 'This is Fun!' (No its not! and no amount of you screaming 'its fun' will change that ugh). Room is full of lots of exercise noobies, and NO teaching on correct form. I forsaw many injuries. Then you have to sit through a presentation on their products and try the shake (gross and full of garbage ingredients). I never attended again and joined a gym instead.

• mmary925
    mmary925 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for sharing their thoughts and experiences! Due to having an immune system disorder I cannot have products with certain ingredients. I checked shakeology ingredient table and within the first lines found five of the ingredients I cannot consume.