Bound to be controversial

Merkavar
Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
So... Healthy at every size

I keep hearing and seeing people talk about being healthy while being fat, overweight or obese.

I can inderstand being healthy while a bit fat but it seems fat and health have a negative correlation.

So am I wrong in thinking that you can't be healthy while very over weight? It just seems logical to me that more fat equal less healthy.

But healthy at every size people seem to be common. Maybe my thinking is outdated.

So healthy at any size... Yay or nay?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    define healthy....

I do not think people who are overweight/obese can be healthy...

They are a whole list of aliments that come with being overweight/obese that are not present (unless genetic) in lower weight individuals.

But again...Healthy at every size...reverse it.

Do you think people who strive for underweight are healthy? Anorexics?

No one would ever say they were healthy but that is what this HAES movement is implying.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Some people are bigger people, and that is OK. But fitness and a lower body fat percentage is important for overall health, I think.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    So... Healthy at every size

I keep hearing and seeing people talk about being healthy while being fat, overweight or obese.

I can inderstand being healthy while a bit fat but it seems fat and health have a negative correlation.

So am I wrong in thinking that you can't be healthy while very over weight? It just seems logical to me that more fat equal less healthy.

But healthy at every size people seem to be common. Maybe my thinking is outdated.

So healthy at any size... Yay or nay?

nay. you can be healthy and still be overweight, but there comes a time when, as you say, fat and health have a negative correlation. exactly where that line is though, I'm not qualified to say!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Its realtive. I'd agree with toad in that you can be overweight and healthy just as you can be normal weight and unhelathy, but as toad points out its where you draw the line. Its unlikely you cna be obese and healthy becayse the very nature of being obese puts you in a different risk group.

If you define what you mean by healthy then that gives you an objective test and everything else becomes clear.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eating well, feeling good, being healthy, . . . all of that is dependent on many individual factors that we cannot know from looking at the person.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I guess healthy is a bit to subjective.

For one it could be running a half marathon and for another it could be not being in hospital.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    n=1 I know but if i stray to the top end of my BMI, my joints tell me and I seize. So for me, no I cannot be healthy at any size. However, say a rugby playing woman (sorry sweeping generalization) is likely to be larger (BMI wise) and much fitter than me. Everyone will have their own healthy range so you can't put a number on it but there has to be an upper and lower limit where the impact is detrimental for each person.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    If obesity is widely defined by BMI calculations. However, there are now concerns with that calculation. I've been reading up on it and the idea of hight and weight correlation doesn't necessarily equal to healthy or unhealthy.

I saw this one image where all the persons had the exact same BMI , that made them healthy (supposedly) but they all had very very very different body images. There was an extremely lean image, skinny image, beer belly image, fat image etc. how do you compare? A person who's been building up muscle can fall into obese range. A person with a small frame but excess fat can fall into a healthy range.

My children are tall for their age compared to their peers.bAnd they are considered overweight by the health visitor just because on the chart they go up above the line. If they dont have fat to lose what do they want me to do chop off a limb.

Very difficult to determine. I think that What is healthy or unhealthy is different for every individual. Genetics cannot be brought down to a short working out. But hey that's what we're told and that's what we follow.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    It is part of the thinking that gives every football team in youth league a trophy.

Everyone is a winner, even if you lost every game

It also feels like an extension of PC.

No it is not true or even remotely healthy.

Nonsense

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Both of you fail to take into account that BMI is just one measure of weight used for general populations. You misunderstand BMI. It is not and never claimed to be a definitive measure of health.

So no its not controversial and toad pointed out the relevant issue.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member

It does

Healthy is subjective however in the context which I believe you are thinking I can see overweight and even obese people being healthy for a period of time. I was considered obese by bmi standards although no one the knows me in real life ever would have considered me that. Overweight yes but not obese. I was very healthy but I wasn't kidding myself by believing I would remain that way staying at the bmi I was at.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    I was considered obese by bmi standards although no one the knows me in real life ever would have considered me that. Overweight yes but not obese. I was very healthy but I wasn't kidding myself by believing I would remain that way staying at the bmi I was at.
    [/quote]

Same here! No one can ever guess or say that I was obese.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Whilst you can be "healthy" whilst obese the statistical likelihood is greater that you won't be in comparison to being normal weight.

I think HAES movement really should be more about AAES - acceptance at any size.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    You can be fat and healthy, the same as one can be a smoker and healthy. You might not have any of the associated health risks right now, and you might never get them, but the risk of getting them is much higher than for someone who is not fat (or not a smoker). Do you consider that healthy or not, that's up to you.
  • iamabeetle
    iamabeetle Posts: 52 Member
    You can be healthy and be overweight but it depends on your definition of health.

I'm 184kg. Medically, there is nothing wrong me. I don't have diabetes, cholesterol problems, heart problems etc... I'm lucky. I know if I kept my unhealthy lifestyle up I wouldn't be so lucky. I go to the gym 5 times a week and eat well.

My fitness levels are increasing every day and I could kick a lot of people's butt at the gym.

I feel healthier every day and I base this on the fact I know what it felt like to be u healthy for several years. I was 243kg at one point. That was not a good place but I have worked hard to get where I am and shall continue to do so
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Dr Christian Jessen says "no" when asked this - overweight leads to health deterioration in the long term.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    Whilst you can be "healthy" whilst obese the statistical likelihood is greater that you won't be in comparison to being normal weight.

I think HAES movement really should be more about AAES - acceptance at any size.

That is what it is all about!

BMI is no determinant of a persons worth or value as a person.

The concept of beauty being tied to worth runs deep and can be very destructive

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

no it's not...it's about saying it's fine to be any size when in fact it's not.

if you think this is true again let me say it has to apply to anorexics too then and doctors and family are no longer allowed to put them in special care for it...just let them be
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

BMI is not a determinant of a persons worth or value, but it is, when looking at populations, a determinant of health.