WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Betty...I didn't feel any different before I cut down on the blood pressure meds, nor do I feel any different now. I hope you are there soon! Keep us posted.
    Chris in MA
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Michele: Good for you for keeping the line of communication open with Bryan. Even if he doesn't call you today he still knows that you are thinking about him and that you care.

Renny:I'm trying to do a better job of taking pictures and kicking my butt that I don't have more of when my kids were growing up. Thanks for reminding me of the value in making the effort.

Chris MA: Congrats on the blood pressure. This is definitely working for my activity and fitness levels. The jury is out on the actual weight loss though. Trying to be patient and positive and be being thankful for the things that are getting better.

Finally got some rain yesterday! We still need a lot more. More rain is in the forecast for the next few days. Lillian:Did you get any rain in SK?

Went swimming yesterday with both my boys and DIL to be and tried out Edmonton's newest pool. The first time I've ever been there as it is on the other side of the city. It is a salt water pool which is great for me since I'm allergic to chlorine (break out in huge hives). I didn't have any issues with the salt water except that my sterling silver rings got really dull. I tried jewelry cleaner but that didn't help to restore the shine or if it did not very much. I would go a lot more often if there was a pool near me with salt water. Unfortunately the ones with salt water are all a long ways away.

Thought for the day:“Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment” – Jim Rohn

Have a wonderful day friends!

Carey-Edmonton

July Goals:

1. Do menu planning for July - Increasing protein to 130g per day. Do one week at a time so that can adjust as I go.

2. Log all meals - try to pre-log to get a better handle on calories for the day

3.Plan and Do - 2 fun things every week
    • W1: Family reunion - 3 days of fun and hard work
    • W2: Tai Chi with friend who will start beginners and needs some company. Hot Stone Massage
    • W3: Lunch with cousins, surprise Dad for his birthday
    4. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I love Monday mornings. There's something about the opportunity to start afresh that is uplifting.

I got up early and walked with DH before church yesterday, so was feeling restless yesterday afternoon. I've had so much more energy in the last few days. It is amazing. I hope it lasts. Anyway, I went to the outlet mall to get in a few more steps and browse. I was looking for a good buy on a summer purse or tote but nothing was catching my eye. Then, I discovered a Christopher & Banks outlet - totally new. Talk about excited! I love their three-quarter sleeve tees. I got a light pink one, a dark pink with white polka dots, a black one, a pink vest on super clearance, some grey capris, and a whole outfit of these wild pants in black, taupe, white and coral, with a black tank and a coral summer sweater. They look good with the plain black tee, too, and feel like you're wearing your pjs. It's the perfect outfit for my upcoming conferences since the rooms tend to be freezing.
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I made it to page 29 on Friday. Now I find we are on page 35. I’ll try to catch up here slowly.

Reading about plants with longevity reminded me of a friend who has a Christmas cactus her great grandmother started. This plant is over 100 years old! I always feel a little pang of envy when I visit her and see it. Partially because I have a brown thumb and inevitably kill my indoor plants and partially because I think it would be so awesome to have a family heirloom of this nature.

Well, I had a lovely weekend. I worked out on Sat morning. Came home, changed clothes and went to a Red Hat wine tasting lunch. Came home, changed again and went to a high school graduation celebration. Came home and told DH the only thing I was changing into was my pjs. Sunday I finally got back into the glass studio and spent a fabulous 6 hours creating. Ahhhh. Bliss.

As a result of so much business I forgot to login and lost my logging streak. I was feeling a bit pouty and sad about that, but several of my MFP friends have pointed out this is an opportunity to start over again. They are right. It is not the end of the world. I set a new record for my longest logging streak and now have an opportunity to break that record.

Unfortunately, with no logging, I have also managed to spend a weekend grazing on high calorie snacks. Sigh. Why is it so easy to fall back into old behaviors? Well, the good news is that indulging in old behaviors didn’t feel very good. Some of the food just didn’t taste as good as the healthier versions I’ve grown accustomed to and some actually made me queasy. More lessons learned. Now to forgive myself and move forward.

I made a note of the 2 online groups I participate in (this one and a FB group) for both my husband and for a dear friend who is my secondary medical power of attorney so that if anything happens to me my on-line friends will know I didn’t just abandon the group.

Mia in MI

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water
    Word of the month – gratitude
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I just read Margaret's title suggestion of a A Very Nice Man in Wolve's Clothing. It is worthy of consideration. It occurred to me that something about the title should give the reader a clue about the evil within the very nice man, other wise the book could be bought by sweet, clueless people who are sandbagged by its contents. That could hurt reviews and sales. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: Sending prayers for your son's situation. :heart:

Tina in MD: Great photo. I'd like to walk there, too. Lovely. It looks as though I'm not the only one who likes it. :bigsmile:

1776: Welcome. :flowerforyou:

DS & DDIL were here this weekend getting our sailboat ready for their vacation. They took our stuff off, stacked it in our garage, and broke our beloved coffee pot in the process. :ohwell: They cleaned the d*ckens out of it and now our garage is full of our stuff, which we will put back on the boat after they get back. I had some frustrated moments but kept them to myself. DH was evidently having some moments, too. He just mentioned them to me. We had a horrid year last year with DH's health and some things slipped onto the back burner. The boat was among them. It is/was dirty and I'll admit that. This month we've put a lot of money into service and repair so that it would be seaworthy enough for their trip. I guess I'm not feeling the appreciation I think we should be receiving. They'll be back in a couple of days and I hope my attitude improves by then. :devil: It really needs improvement. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Just fluttering by to say hello and mark my place. Work still has me overloaded like crazy, but it should all be back to normal in another week.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,063 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support. DS did come home which is a step in the right direction. He will not tell us what happened. We had not heard from him since Wednesday. He is sitting in my garden. Thank you for surrounding our family with your healing prayers. I am praying my garden gives him a place to start finding peace for his soul. I made it clear I am disappointed in the choices he made. Taking responsibility for his choices needs to come from him. I need to remember the anger he is displaying is he as much at himself as it is at us. We are safe targets because we will love him no matter what. Pray for me to not rush in to try and to fix the problem. Growing up is never easy to do no matter what the age.

The in wolves clothing comes from the arc type of Little Red Riding Hood. She believes the wolf to be her grandmother when he is lurking inside to do her harm. The woodsman comes to slay the wolf. Every child needs a woodsman to help protect her. Unfortunately not every child has that woodsman. In time the child needs to become the woodsman for themselves, so they can go back to slay wolf. You have done this Heather that is why it is so important that you tell your story. I know I said it once. I want to say it again I am proud of you.

Katla hope things improve with the boat. Hopefully they will bring it back clean seeing as you are nice enough to lend it to them.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,131 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! New development in the sale of our house. Roof needs to be replaced before we sell if we go With the current offer that has FHA financing. Another buyer is putting a cash offer in today. Then the FHA buyer now has a investor that would buy it for him and sell it back to him. Now what I want to know is does the FHA guy have to cancel our contract first. Then we could have a bidding war????

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My new waterproof Fitbit Flex worked great at water aerobics class this morning. I was very impressed. I only made it to 9,763 steps yesterday, but am well over 5,000 already this morning and will ride the stationary bike this afternoon so will make a concentrated effort to reach 10,000 today. My head is still full and buzzing but all in all I am feeling better. I know I didn't give 100% effort at water aerobics this morning but was happy I went. Stopped by the grocery store on the way home.

Janetr OKC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Happy Monday! According to DD the wedding she attended was very nice; a very small one, maybe 25 people, almost entirely relatives of either the bride or groom. It was held at a historic (1888) mansion. The bride's father married them and her mother gave her away. Sounds lovely but she didn't take enough pics; and none of her with her friend, the bride!!! What was she thinking?

Rain all around us but none here, as usual.

Michele........My fingers are crossed that Bryan calls you today. I'm afraid I would have gone ahead and said what you were thinking.

Mary......No idea how property sales work, but best of luck to you!!!

Margaret.........How can your beautiful garden not heal and help him find peace??? ((((Hugs))))))

Tina........I want to join you on that walk.

terri........Good luck to your son!

Heather........YAY for finally hearing from the receivers of the bad review; now, go educate them!!!

Kate.........Wishes for a better week for you and everyone else who needs them.

Sylvia........Alarming experience for your son; glad you were able to be there for him. YAY for all of us who can drive "sticks"!!!!

Lisa.........I'm confident you will find the right words when the time comes.

Welcome newbies, come back often!

Carey........Don't think I've ever been in a salt water pool, unless you count the ocean, LOL.

Mia........What a thoughtful idea!!!!

Katla.........I'm so sorry your hard work is not being appreciated.....(((((((Hugs)))))))).

Hunger is not an emergency.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Maragaret ~ Prayers and good thoughts for you and your son. We went through terrible years with our son being in drugs and alcohol. He finally met a gal 10 yrs younger than he and has two small children. Finally figured out he had to grow up I think,

Katla ~ Good thoughts for you also. We do and do for our children and many times feel left out of their good times. I know what you mean about cleaning up messes.

Michelle ~ Hoping Brian does call. I agree with others that by you making the effort to keep in contact he knows you are thinking of him. Hopefully, he will realize what he is missing by not staying in contact.

Mary ~ A bidding war would be great. Fingers crossed.

Lisa ~ I had to tell my DH how large the ranch is and enjoyed showing him the pics.

Fixing to go to the PO and then to Costco. I had a student from Great Britain one year and when her parents came in for a conference they said she was really curious about me always saying "fixing" so often. Guess that was the r Southern girl in me. We also say we are going shopping with a buggy.

Carol ~ GA

• sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Greetings! This looks like an active thread. I am 62 years old. Does that still count for this group, or is there a 60+ group?

I have lost 94 pounds since August 1 with MFP, but just recently came onto the boards. I am looking forward to getting to know you all as I travel on this journey with you. I still have a long way to go so I am in it for the long haul.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

I have lost 94 pounds since August 1 with MFP, but just recently came onto the boards. I am looking forward to getting to know you all as I travel on this journey with you. I still have a long way to go so I am in it for the long haul.[/quote]

WOW, 94 lbs. in less than a year! You go girl!! I think that you can teach us a thing or two.
    Welcome!

Chris in MA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mary - what a pain all this FHA stuff is. If you end up with a bit more money then I suppose it is worth it. :ohwell:
    No one can buy my rental with a mortgage as the lease is too short - 68 years. I am looking for a cash buyer, but have had no enquiries as yet. Bit disappointing and worrying, but I have a tenant in place until 10th August.

Found some broccoli plants and ordered some fine mesh and clips from Amazon. Not that I've seen ANY butterflies yet. This is the first year I've managed to buy broccoli plants on time. These look very healthy. :)

Finished the very first draft of A VERY NICE MAN - memoir of an abused daughter. On a quick totting up it's about 30, 000 words, though I have a bit of infilling to do. My cancer friend, WHO HAS BOOKED HER TRAIN, (!) has also written a memoir and is trying to find a publisher. Hers is about trying to find her roots as she was a fostered, mixed race child. She is also a published children's writer, like me.

Yoga tomorrow. I will take most of the dresses she lent me back to my teacher and keep the two that are perfect for me. I'm not sure about the lace shrug, but will try on again. I think I will wear the "hydrangea" dress on Thursday when we are going to our posh hotel for one night. I will give my high heeled sandals an outing as I will only have to totter into the dining room. :laugh: It's a sheath dress, very like my own black and white one, but with big bright flowers. Very summery!
    The hotel is called The Pig on the Beach in Studland, Dorset. My DH thought the price of the "Generous Room" we booked included dinner. NO! It doesnt even include breakfast! :laugh: He wanted to cancel, but we are going with it. We will get there early and make a good two days out of it with long walks along the cliffs to Studland Bay. The weather looks ok for us. :)

Still waiting for the restaurant to phone. DH had a go at a wine shipping company today and lost his temper. They only shipped half the order and are full of stupid excuses. He was livid!

Love to all. Heather in Hampshire UK

PS - just had an email from the restaurant. They are going to ring me tomorrow afternoon. It is Rick Stein's chain. Do you have him on your TV?
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed the pictures folks :smiley: Sadly no that isn't our car, but there to add atmosphere, and to take pictures by. They had a swing band made up from descendants from the Japanese Relocation Camps during WWII. It was more of a memorial kind of event, with a slideshow about Rosie The Riveter (which my Grandmother was), and an instructor teaching how to Swing Dance.

the band....they were awesome by the way!
    011_zpsv79fvjjk.jpg
  • Annr
    Options
    my husband was bouncing all over the floor, so I had to give him the look to tell him to concentrate, as we were learning one of the steps!! hahaha.
    008_zpsiqrivhrx.jpg
  • Annr
    Options

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/monica-navy-plus.html#sthash.rcMRajvm

Well this is my latest purchase! Its a wiggle dress!
  • Annr
    Options
    Hopefully it will go splendidly with husbands double-breasted suit!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hello all from a very steamy Omaha! It's projected to be 100 today with a heat index of 110! Bleh!

I know I have been quite the slug about getting here and I'll try to do better. I'm keeping my goals the same for this month, but have to be better about my lifestyle. My A1C was 6.3% Tuesday which is still well below the ADA guidelines but the highest I've been since being diagnosed. My BP is creeping up too at 140/80. So back on the wagon. I have to admit not paying much attention since around the start of may.

Well I just got done grading 15 discussion boards with their attendant questions and responses, so now it's time to do my after lunch walk. I did get my morning walk in even though I tried really hard to talk myself out of it!

OK stay cool and take care, meg
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sylvia -
    Then I accidentally got a look at my droopy, naked self in the hotel mirror. I was truly surprised by the sheer magnitude of the loose skin on my rear end, my inner thighs, and my lower belly. It hangs down in sheets. So, I wasn't feeling very good about myself today. (I may have mentioned that I don't look in the mirror very often, so it was sort of a surprise. I can feel it, of course, but I could pretend it wasn't there if I didn't see it.)

I wanted that ENTIRE distance, and no little rattlesnake was going to cheat me out of it. Yesterday I didn't make my 10,000 steps, but today I'm way over.

I have quite a bit of loose skin as well so I can understand not feeling good about it. I don’t know if it will help you, but I frequently remind myself that at least it is drooping down and is not still filled with plump fat cells that make it stick out away from my body. Also, once it is covered by clothing you can barely see it.

I love the rattlesnake story. Good for you for not letting it ruin your walk.

Linda/IA – I think the color runs look like a blast. I am planning on walking my first 5K color “run” this coming Oct. Just mentioning it since many runs have a walking option for those of us who do not run.

Mia in MI

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water
    Word of the month – gratitude