Protein Problem?

Options
13»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I tried hard for a while. I'd add cheese I didn't want to food. I ate more meat. I didn't like eating it or how I felt after I ate (not sick, just like I had gunk in my stomach.) Even as a child, my mom had to force me to eat little bits of meat. I just do not like it.

On occasion, I will crave some meat. But usually, I don't want any. It's very hard to get protein from other foods without eating a lot of them all the time. For me, anyway.

So, I fall short on protein. I suspect that they will one day figure out that not everyone needs that much protein, lol. It may be wishful thinking on my part. As of now, they say that we should eat it. We should all strive to eat healthy diets. I know it. But I just cannot make those protein goals without eating a bunch of food I don't want to eat and feeling like there are hunks of gunk in my stomach.

I'm kind of over protein. Bring on the fruits and veggies. I'm a rebel like that.

I make up a lot of my protein need with protein shakes and protein bars. I really have to watch the fat, though. Those protein replacement foods are high in fat and calories, both. I use chicken and jumbo shrimp lately to cover most of my protein needs. I eat broccoli like it's going out of style...

Which brand did you use? I've never tried a protein powder that had a lot of fat in it. My protein bars also have minimal fat in comparison to their protein content.
    I have been using Atkins protein shakes, as I haven't found a powder that doesn't taste awful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, because someday I just may go off meat all together. I also use Quest bars.

Nah, we're allowed to suggest what we use!

I use the Quest protein powders. I didn't like the chocolate, but the peanut butter or the vanilla are both really tasty. I like that they're thick and creamy. It makes them satisfying.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I try and eat a lot of protein. Protein helps maintain muscle mass which we are all at risk of losing when we eat at a deficit. I drink one chocolate Premier protein shake each day. They are from Costco. They are 160 calories and 30 grams of protein. They make a quick easy breakfast and a sure way to hit your protein goals.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I realized that I'm consistently under in the protein category by ~20g. Some days I have only had 10g left, but others it's still asking for 30g more.

Usually my breakfast is lowest in protein, about 10g at the most, and the other meals are a bit higher, closer to 15g or 20g.

Is this a problem?

I am also always under with my protein. I logged for a while a year or two back but worried about the protein and started supplementing with protein drinks and bars to try and make the numbers work but it didn't really work for me and I gave up logging.
    The calories I have cut out due to logging are chocolate, biscuit and crisp calories, I've always eaten a low protein diet. In my younger days I was very athletic (jockey) and had quite visible muscles so maybe my body was super efficient with the protein I do eat, or maybe my muscles will always be less healthy than they could be if I ate the suggested amount.
    So for me at this time, I will make protein choices where I can but without getting too hung up on the numbers.
    Maybe under eating protein is more a problem for those who are low due to cutting calories rather than those who have never eaten much.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'd be hungry in an hour after any of the breakfasts you had over the last three days. However, if they satisfy you, their low protein ratio may not be a problem for you. Are you full until right before lunch? How are your energy levels?

Higher protein and fat and lower carbs than the MFP default is the ratio that works for me, but I know plenty of people who do quite well with low protein, low fat, and high carbs.

I don't wait too long after breakfast to eat lunch. Usually 2-3h, and it's not bad. If I get hungry I'll eat fruit or eat lunch earlier. My energy levels overall are rather low, but I generally assumed it's from inactivity (which I'm addressing now, and I find I feel more perky after exercising regularly).
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Hi @kae612, I think there will be a lot of different recommendations. But if you don't want to change your diet substantially and yet just boost your protein, I have some recommendations:

-Add wheat germ to things, like your AllBran or ground beef meals or blueberry muffins
    -Add TVP to ground beef meals and things like soups/stews
    -Eat more lentils instead of rice
    -Add beans to things

We have wheat germ! ok, I could definitely add that, I didn't realize it had protein in it haha. Thanks :smile: When I eat lentils I usually eat them with a 1:1 ratio to brown rice. I find I can't eat them more than a couple times a week due to gas, but we do have a lot of kidney beans around the house so I can try to add them to things. Thanks!
    Protein is especially important for dieters in conjunction with some form of resistance training to retain lean muscle mass. I cannot remember where I've read this, but even my doctor agreed that's it's a good idea to eat more protein while dieting than what's generally recommended for this reason.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to minimize the amount of muscle I lose and maximize fat loss as my weight drops.

There are plenty of sources of protein that aren't meat. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, beans, quinoa, and various forms of protein supplements like protein bars and powders. I'm a vegetarian, that's how I get all of my protein.

That sounds really good! I'm not a huge meat eater, so I should really look into more of that. Hard boiled eggs are one of the things I know how to cook that travel well for lunches (when school starts in the fall). Thanks so much :smiley:
    I notice that you eat high carb/high calorie snacks and lots of fruits. Is there anyway you could substitute in a protein shake or add protein powder to anything if you're doing a smoothie or something? Also, you could maybe try adding some sort of sausage to your breakfast or switch it up and eat some eggs. If you're eating toast look for breads that have a higher protein content (at least 5g+) so 2 slices is 10g or more right there. String cheese, cottage cheese and greek yogurt are also good options that you could add to some of the meals you're eating.

I'm definitely considering getting some protein powder for my smoothies. I don't like eating a hot breakfast in the summer, but I will feel more like it in the winter!
  • kiela64
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I didn't click the link. I know how much protein I'm supposed to eat. I know how much athletes can take in before it does them no more good. I know many and various things protein does in the body, including things that have nothing to do with muscles. I'm up to here (that's pretty high, like forehead level) on protein info.

I just don't like protein foods. I only eat meat when I crave it and even then I feel like I just swallowed lead. I can't eat most dairy. I have seafood allergies. I do eat protein. It's not like I'm not ponying up the dough for edamame. I do. Tuna, quinoa, etc. I never said I didn't eat any, lol.

I fall short. For a long time, I tried very hard to eat all these protein foods to make the goal, but I hated eating it. There is only so much cottage cheese I want to swallow.

I was just posting for the OP. There aren't many of us with protein issues and I wanted to let OP know they aren't alone in it. I didn't (and don't) want to make this all about my personal protein issues.

If anyone wants to discuss my personal protein stuff, please message me. I feel like the OP won't get their responses.

Thanks! I'm very picky about meat as well, so I appreciate your responses :smile:
  • kiela64
    Options
    lc355 wrote: »
    I am also always under with my protein. I logged for a while a year or two back but worried about the protein and started supplementing with protein drinks and bars to try and make the numbers work but it didn't really work for me and I gave up logging.
    The calories I have cut out due to logging are chocolate, biscuit and crisp calories, I've always eaten a low protein diet. In my younger days I was very athletic (jockey) and had quite visible muscles so maybe my body was super efficient with the protein I do eat, or maybe my muscles will always be less healthy than they could be if I ate the suggested amount.
    So for me at this time, I will make protein choices where I can but without getting too hung up on the numbers.
    Maybe under eating protein is more a problem for those who are low due to cutting calories rather than those who have never eaten much.

True. I think in general all I've cut out of my diet are the "extras" - chips, candy, late night potatoes. I haven't even cut them all, as I've had popcorn quite a few times at the movies or at home with my air popper and some butter. Though I've never been athletic or strong, or very active. I'd say the most active I've ever been was when I had high school gym class, and by cutting out the extras I'm eating very similarly to then.

I'm thinking I might get something like a protein powder to add to morning smoothies, see how I like it, and go from there. Maybe try having some yogurt with fruit as a snack instead of just fruit, etc. Thanks everyone for all of your comments & suggestions! :smiley:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Quest bars have become a staple in my diet. Such a yummy treat to have so much protein.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, cottage cheese or any kind of yogurt. But I do eat fish - so that's a good protein source. Tonight I grilled tempeh for the first time and it's delicious.

I confess to eating a rather joyless breakfast of a protein bar made by Fit & Active (sold at Aldi) which gives me 15g, and I have a protein shake everyday.

I am so happy if I hit 70g protein. I am doing strength training so I'm taking the protein goals more seriously, but I always fall short. Still trying, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I never have a problem with protein, but I like to make sure I have plenty at breakfast as it just makes me feel more satisfied for the rest of the day. Usually I have eggs (vegetable omelet) plus cottage cheese or greek yogurt or smoked salmon, but sometimes I have oatmeal (7 grams) and add protein powder (20 grams)--I enjoy the taste of the Biochem vanilla with oatmeal and berries. Today I also had some cottage cheese on the side.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks @PeachyCarol! I figured there would be some sort of qualification like "half of all healthy people" or "97 to 98 percent of individuals."

@Kalikel - if you're willing to share, where are you on either of these recommendations from Carol's link?

Daily protein requirements in grams are reported in two ways: estimated average requirement, or EAR, and recommended dietary allowance, or RDA. The EAR is the amount needed to meet the protein requirements of half of all healthy people, whereas the RDA is the amount needed to maintain the health of 97 to 98 percent of individuals in groups according to age and gender. The daily EAR for adults is 0.66 grams of protein for every 2 pounds of weight. The RDA for adult men and women is 0.8 grams of protein for every 2 pounds of body weight. The RDA is usually reported as a single value, which makes it the easiest to use. The RDA for women is 46 grams daily; men need 56 grams of protein daily.

Those are minimums for sedentary people maintaining weight (eating maintenance calories). when you are active or trying to lose weight (deficit) you need much more, or you risk losing a muscle.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Thanks @PeachyCarol! I figured there would be some sort of qualification like "half of all healthy people" or "97 to 98 percent of individuals."

@Kalikel - if you're willing to share, where are you on either of these recommendations from Carol's link?

Daily protein requirements in grams are reported in two ways: estimated average requirement, or EAR, and recommended dietary allowance, or RDA. The EAR is the amount needed to meet the protein requirements of half of all healthy people, whereas the RDA is the amount needed to maintain the health of 97 to 98 percent of individuals in groups according to age and gender. The daily EAR for adults is 0.66 grams of protein for every 2 pounds of weight. The RDA for adult men and women is 0.8 grams of protein for every 2 pounds of body weight. The RDA is usually reported as a single value, which makes it the easiest to use. The RDA for women is 46 grams daily; men need 56 grams of protein daily.

Those are minimums for sedentary people maintaining weight (eating maintenance calories). when you are active or trying to lose weight (deficit) you need much more, or you risk losing a muscle.

Exactly. And some people on this thread keep deliberately missing this point. "doing quite well" on lower protein doesn't cut it when you're losing weight. Hello very high body fat and greatly reduced muscle mass when you get down there on the scale.

There are ways to hide protein intake like smoothies and pancakes or other baked goods.