RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Bring your own lunch.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Enjoy @christinev297!

It took me a long time to trust myself to go back to buffets. And since I pay for it, I am still inclined to overdo it.

So my main strategy involves... not going to one.

But, I do understand the unlimited food at work issue. And really, it just involves a shift in your perception.

It is NOT free. It is costing your calories.
    You also MUST log all these things. ACCURATELY! That is a lot of labour.

Is it worth it?
    If it is: go ahead!

If it isn't:
    (baby steps)
    Start with a single full plate of food.
    Fill it up with "sane" choices; but as full as you want to.
    There is no second trip. That's what you get. If you're still hungry 30 minutes later you can go back. But no sooner.

Then, second step, a few days later,
    make it a NORMAL plate of food. Without overflowing, double stacking, or other-tricking.
    Same rules.

If it is still too many calories, move down to a salad plate or make better choices (like half the plate salad, 1/4 non starchy vegetables, and 1/4 protein, or whatever the pretty plate thing says since I know I've got it wrong ;-)
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate-vs-usda-myplate/
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Take a sensible portion of the free meal then leave the room to eat and don't return. If the buffet is not in front of you, you'll be less tempted to graze. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's really about what you want to do. If you want to eat a bunch of food, you will. If you don't want to eat a bunch of food, you won't.

Decide what you want, do it and enjoy it, whatever it is.

Do not decide, do it and then get all mad at yourself for doing it. That goes nowhere good!
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Wait... You binge eat on "free" food at house parties aka your friends? That is kinda rude... Eat beforehand and do not start the snowball (eating) at all.
  • Andiknits
    Andiknits Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First of all, it is terrific that you have identified the problem! That shows how much you really care and want to change. It is doubly fantastic that you reached out and asked for support - another indicator that you would like to change! Change is hard, especially habitual patterns and ones that bring us comfort; you have such strength to take this on!

There are a lot of helpful ideas already listed here. Some things that helped me change "automatic" eating habits - set a goal of what I was going to say yes to, and make a plan to whittle those down over a month or so; think about what is offered at work that will help you get to where you want to be - like raw veggies or fresh, plain fruit - fill 1/2 your plate with that first; choose the things you will not eat based on ingredient - maybe that means "creamy" type salads (mayo), or things with melted cheese, lots of processed grains, etc. - and focus on what you can eat. Bring a late morning snack, like a leaf salad, to eat right before lunch. You will be on your way to full and may eat less.

One of the most surprising things that I discovered was what reflecting after eating a lot of food, or foods that were less healthy than other revealed. I discovered that how I felt afterwards was not worth eating what I did, or that I actually didn't even care for them. This was especially interesting with the foods that my body can't handle, like dairy. My eyes were opened to how much pain and discomfort I was in by ignoring my body to eat the food I thought I wanted. I started associating that discomfort with the food. Pizza is the food I would eat 3 times a day if I could. But now even the smell is enough to start my stomach hurting and feeling the bloat I have after eating it. When I do choose to eat these things (and I totally do!), I limit my portions.

Logging your food choices is a really good helper. I have a rule that I log no matter what, the only person I would be lying to is me. And when I see those numbers rack up over a less focused choice, I remember them and arm myself with that the next time I face the same choices and ask myself "Is it worth it?" Sometimes, depending on the situation, the answer is "yes," but I am consciously making the choice, and not letting habit direct my choices.

Last of all, be gentle with yourself. There are no "bad" foods ...you are not "bad" or "weak" for eating any food. There are choices that will help you get to your goals, and ones that keep you from them longer. Note how often you eat a certain food that is keeping you from your new self over a few weeks, and use that to make informed decisions. Remember to take a moment daily and weekly to reflect on what you DID accomplish, not just the things you didn't. Those are important milestones! Perhaps some days it will be "I ate 4 pieces of pizza instead of 5," or "I had 15 chips instead of half the bag" BUT THAT IS CHANGE and you should celebrate it and be proud of it!!! Next time you will do more!

You can do this! You've got it! If you fall down, get up and try again! You will succeed as long as you don't stop moving towards change!

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The missing word here is discipline, specifically self discipline.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    When tackling a buffet ...

First, I head straight for the salad bar ... just veggies, no dressings, or cheese or anything that is going to add a large number of calories.

Then I go back for the dinner portion of the meal, and again, I focus mainly on the veggies. And by then, I'm already a little bit full from the salad.

As it happens, I really like veggies so this works for me. :)

It probably also helps that buffets are few and far between in Australia.

As for morning teas ...

If I'm really focused on counting calories, I prelog the choices I know will be there, and pick one that fits within my calorie count.

If I'm a little more relaxed, I head for the fruit. There's always a fruit platter with watermelon, rockmelon, honeydew, and pineapple, so I will usually have that ... and maybe one small square of cake.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    The only way I can semi get around it is to have itty bitty pirtions of everything

i read somewhere that having lots of little things makes it harder to feel full (vs having more of 1-2 things)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    The only way I can semi get around it is to have itty bitty pirtions of everything

i read somewhere that having lots of little things makes it harder to feel full (vs having more of 1-2 things)

What the what? Mental games....? the amount on the plate is the amount on the plate, regardless as to whether it's 5 different entrees or 2.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    What the what? Mental games....? the amount on the plate is the amount on the plate, regardless as to whether it's 5 different entrees or 2.

And satiety and feeling full have no element of mental gaming to them?
    No idea if many items vs more of a few makes a difference or not.

But, do you feel equally full when you've finished eating a heaping salad sized plate of food, or when you're done eating a sparsely filled dinner plate? When both plates contain the same amount of food?

Most people would report themselves as feeling fuller with the first option.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

But, do you feel equally full when you've finished eating a heaping salad sized plate of food, or when you're done eating a sparsely filled dinner plate? When both plates contain the same amount of food?

Definitely wasn't your point.
    The question was several small portions on a plate vs 2 regular portions on a plate, not the size of the plate, so don't confuse the issue.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    The question was several small portions on a plate vs 2 regular portions on a plate, not the size of the plate, so don't confuse the issue.

I would assume it is the exact same theory.

You are visually tricking yourself by eating a larger quantity of just a few somethings vs eating many smaller, less visually satisfying, piles of other somethings.

Also, possibly, since you've had more of something you are saying to yourself: hey, had enough of this. Whereas when you eat a lot of samples you never say enough due to the novelty of each taste.

Again, no idea if there are any studies or anything backing either side of that argument; I was objecting to your objecting to using "mind games" to control eating.
  • mccindy72
    Options

You are visually tricking yourself by eating a larger quantity of just a few somethings vs eating many smaller, less visually satisfying, piles of other somethings.

Also, possibly, since you've had more of something you are saying to yourself: hey, had enough of this. Whereas when you eat a lot of samples you never say enough due to the novelty of each taste.

Again, no idea if there are any studies or anything backing either side of that argument; I was objecting to your objecting to using "mind games" to control eating.

No, it wasn't mind games, or visually tricking yourself at all, that I was talking about. What I was referring to when it comes to eating at a buffet-style food offering, was taking a very small portion of each type of food you want to taste, so that your overall caloric intake for the meal is still within your calorie goal for the day. It's not about any 'mental game' at all.
    It's about eating in moderation, which is the healthy way to learn how to eat. Eating what you like in small portions so you don't feel like you are giving up food is the way to succeed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Yes, one normally stops eating less foods sooner than when there is a lot of variety due to sensory specific satiety.

Here's a study about this: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/4/823.full

• littlelamby
    littlelamby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fill yourself with healthy foods and drink water. If there is something u really want then you could eat a bit.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This makes me think of the episode of Rick and Morty where the devil opens up a shop where everything is free and they seem too good to be true, but then the items curse the people who take them (and I know this is based on other older stories). The devil always tells them, "you don't pay with money". Just think of all the negative things you are getting out of overeating and not losing weight. These are the costs of these "free" buffets.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had some tips to avoid binge eating when given unlimited amounts of food. At my workplace, we are provided lunch for free and I have a hard time controlling my portions because it's... free. Same with house parties... It seems like I just can't stop when there are free sandwiches, chips, desserts everywhere... I just want to try them all. Any tips or advice that has helped you guys stay on track?

Do what I did -- get one plate (standard-size) and fill it up with whatever your heart desires. Then get one calorie beverage. The plate must include any sauces or spices, chips, etc. Once you have everything, begin eating and be done with it. This will put you right at 1,380 calories, give or take. Do this once a day in the same way at around the same time every day and you will lose weight. The psychological cravings and compulsive eating will disappear once you set some ground-rules and keep them.

I lost 173 lbs on OMAD (one-meal-a-day). It's simple and effective. Go to the OMAD forums for more.
  • dennshah01
    dennshah01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Please

=======

Please stop over thinking it. Limit yourself and if you want to try a little of everything, then do so. If you think you may feel guilty about it or you may have overeaten a little, then cut your lunch time short and go for a 20-30min walk afterward. Drink plenty of water. If you know what your company will be ordering, maybe you can ask if you can see the menu and what they are ordering, so that you can log foods and amounts beforehand. That is all you can do until you are confident in these situations and/or avoid these food events all together.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

No, it wasn't mind games, or visually tricking yourself at all, that I was talking about. What I was referring to when it comes to eating at a buffet-style food offering, was taking a very small portion of each type of food you want to taste, so that your overall caloric intake for the meal is still within your calorie goal for the day. It's not about any 'mental game' at all.
    It's about eating in moderation, which is the healthy way to learn how to eat. Eating what you like in small portions so you don't feel like you are giving up food is the way to succeed.

What I read (a long time ago, some study or other) was that, basically, all other things being equal, people feel satiated more quickly when they have one or two kinds of foods they're eating in one bigger portion, vs many small (but equivalent in quantity when counted together) portions of things that taste different. (E.g., tapas.)

Something about the change in taste fooling you re your hunger. Whereas you get kind of fed up sooner when you have a lot of something that just has one taste. That was the gist of it.