WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Thanks for checking in. You've been missed. It sounds as though you may have bumped your head in the fall. I hope your health situation resolves itself quickly. :heart:

Carey: I do wear the bike shorts while spinning. I am so grateful for their cushioning on that narrow spin bike seat. :bigsmile:

Sylvia: Your grandchildren are a bright spot in your life, and you in theirs. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Betty in WNY: Congratulations on your loss. WTG! :flowerforyou:

I'm trying an experiment. I've been really annoyed with google as a browser because of all the intrusive advertising popping into the articles I want to read. I decided to try Yahoo. So far I'm happier, but it has only been a couple of hours. I'll give you a report in a few days.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[/url
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Chris in MA - before I realized I had celiac disease, and was poisoning myself with gluten all the time, I had such frequent mishaps that I had to carry spare clothing in my car all the time. It was so frustrating that the docs just called it "irritable bowel" or "stress" and ignored my concerns. I had to diagnose myself and after going gluten free I no longer have the problems! It has made such a huge difference that I am not even TEMPTED by anything with gluten in it, which is amazing to me since I obviously have issues with food! It is SO embarrassing so you have my sympathy today!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Grits: My pet peeve is the misuse of the word of, as in, " I could of bought a new car." I think it is caused by misunderstanding of the contraction for have, 've, as in could've, would've, should've. "Fixin" is uncommon in Oregon unless you're watching Paula Deen on tv. :bigsmile:

I don't' think there is a 'contraction' for have as in could've, would've, should've; but, again I don't have a living DM to ask. LOL! I wrote a poem "Teacher Teaches" that started of with Iffa, Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda (and any combination of those world; then in the middle I'm told to slow down . . . it is "If I? Could I? Should I? Would I?". I have it somewhere around here, just could not put my hand on it; probably saved on my desktop. :o It doesn't take long to hay I 'could have' bought a new car, etc.

There are so many words that sound alike; but, depending on how it is used (or should be used) makes a huge difference in what you are meant to be saying. To, too, and two; sight, site and cite, and affect and effect. That is just a 'few' instances. Done is one that really gets to me because it is being used on TV by newsmen and women and surely most of them have a high school and college education. Was English grammar NOT taught in their schools, or what?

Paula Deen is NOT representative of how "Southern Women" talk - most of it is 'put on'; >:):# but, we do generally talk a lot slower, just not 'that' slow. :p She makes Southern Women look bad or uneducated. I can't stand 'listening' to her because of it. Nobody is ''that' freaking sweetish sweet" and they certainly do not apologize for things that got said 40 years ago . . . IF she had said that word that took her off TV recently (as in 15-20 minutes or years ago) then maybe there would have been more of a reason to ruin her business. :s She is slowly making a comeback - but slowly. You are more likely to see newer cookbooks on shelves than to see her on TV. Mainly because she has had to come up with a way to cook for a diabetic.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Heather - What a gift of Love that yoga mom did for her son.

Lisa – ok – a book author, writer of newspaper columns, quilter, runner, and possible manager of a restaurant, bar, and entertainment property… Ok I am tired just writing this!
    I hope both deals work out the way you want.

MJ – welcome

Pip – how scary!!! Glad Kirby was right there with you, and that you are better now. Take care and take it slow.

Katla – thanks.

Chris – one more reason to not own white shorts…

July Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles 7/11 - 57miles so far
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19 - 7
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Mom is here for the 4th, and we are going out to dinner –her treat!
    W2 – a new smart phone, my business paid off, a visit from an out of state friend
    Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Tues.less humid today,got outside for awhile.
    hugs
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    It's getting ugly here. Payne's best game today is 165 so I'm walking to a grocery store to buy fruit
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Annr - that dress is fabulous! Hope you can breathe in it! :flowerforyou: I tried on something similar, but couldn't bear being squeezed. But then I can't wear a bra or panty hose either. :ohwell: Not even keen on waistbands. The dress is purrrrfect for your vintage occasions. <3

Heather UK

This dress has an inner "shell" of support....well shall see!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
  • Annr
    Options
    @pipcd34 glad you were around people to help you thru. ((((((((((((((((((hugs girl!))))))))))))))
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    Pip~ Oh my so sorry that happened, you are home and safe I am hoping..
    I actually had to come home and take a pain pill, had a 15 minute lunch and we were hauling butt from 9-6 and I cant move i am having alot of flank and neck pain so off to bed, will check in in the am.. love to all
  • davisathens
    davisathens Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. Just found this place. Have been logging food for 2 weeks and it is very helpful. LOVE the scanner... That is wonderful. Reading and learning...

Karla
  • Annr
    Options
    for your ladies amusement....me husband in his historical-reinactment kilt!
    100_2823_zpspzcujxoy.jpg
  • Annr
    Options
    my family at a Greek inspired reinacment event in LA CA
    The%20Clan_zpsx9rhjke4.jpg
  • Annr
    Options
    We have been in historical reinactment for many years. This pic was taken in 2010. I had gotten my hair cut REALLY short, and in retalliation my husband shaved off his mustache...men!!!
    us_zpsm5wjv4ub.jpg
  • Annr
    Options
    one of my platefuls of heaven........
    100_2667_zpsrdlllcdg.jpg
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I hope you are all doing well. I see over 90 responses so I don’t think I can answer all. It’s hot here today but less humid than yesterday. I just had an office day today but I can see the writing on the wall; it’s going to be lots of Saturdays for me to get caught up. So many meetings; our new VPAA believes that everyone should work all year long so we are being meeting’d to death. I simply refuse to come in for meetings.

Poor DH is so exhausted ;the dog gets him up at 4:30; DH gets up 5=7 times a night to pee and he does not have an enlarged prostate…all the males in his family do this, so he is just beat…can fall asleep standing up…literally. So he is having a sleep study coming up to see about his sleep quality and he also will be going to urology again.

Rosie: well put! Every day is a new start.

Jane: we have terrible mosquitos too right now

Vicki: I am with you on needing to get back on track. I have had a pity party for my knee for the last several months but that’s been over for a couple of weeks now but it’s hard to keep making these “new” habits over and over again LOL. Yeah, the heat has been bad here too but fortunately we only have a few days like this a year. I’ll take the heat over the mountain lion seen a bout a mile away yesterday though!

Sylvia: I’ll be holding my breath til that nasty woman brings the DG kids back home safe and sound Sunday! How about a go fund me page for your son’s needs?

Selena: glad to see you. You’ll get rid of that weight in no time. I’m sorry for all the trauma your are going through

Nccarol: I think I remember…you had a total shoulder, right? My hubby had one and wasn’t allowed back for two weeks minimum then the doc said it’s two weeks if you are off pain pills. He started back at 4 hours a day.

Lenora: wow what a story! You are a survivor!

Chris: I am so sorry for what ever it is that has saddened you. I missed the story while being MIA but will send prayers your way for peace. Dump here any time! There is no judgement here! I hope your birthday turns out wonderful

Tina: bless you for fostering dogs and especially one that most people wouldn’t. Hubby used to raise pits and we both love them

DJ: oh, yeah all my fault. I totally fell off the wagon during May and much of June feeling sorry for myself and my knee. Well lots of people have it a lot worse than that so I just finally decided to suck it up and deal with it. And get back on that wagon! Funny, my knee has hardly bothered me since I kicked myself in the butt!

Lhannon ok so where is pip? I missed that but see lots of people talking about missing her

Michele: stay cool!

Janet: love the haircut. It makes you look so young!

Michele: sending good thoughts for Tom

Katie: love the minion!

Mj: hola and welcome aboard!

Sylvia: OMG I nearly choked when I saw that poor dog! That is hilarious!

Pip: wow you have had quite the adventure! I’m glad your’e safe! Take care of yourself!

Well gang, I need to get up and move around . I’m trying to incorporate what I read about diabetics not been sedentary for more than 90 minutes and this post has taken about this long! Take care all, Meg from hot Omaha
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday and woke to VERY heavy frost and stayed in bed until 9am
    My smoothies for day are both good for GI tract:
    Breakfast - Fig, Almond and date smoothie
    2 snacks - Almond butter and Goji jam smoothie
    Making Simple shrimp scampi for dinner
    Yesterday we went shopping and bought the fruit and veg I need

I should never have married mu first husband, came downstairs in wedding dress and said i could not marry him. Cousin said it was nerves. NO should have listened to my instincts. He is married to 3rd wife and cheated on her too, she can have him as he is fat and 5 stents in his heart. 2nd husband is a sweatheart
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good evening! Wanted to do a quick check in before my daughter makes me start getting ready for bed. :tongue: I hate taking showers at night, but I hate starting my day exhausted even more.

Meg - I didn't have shoulder replacement; I had rotator cuff surgery along with what seems to have been major bicep repair. The doctor didn't give me any restrictions but my body certainly has!

I made it five hours today before the body said stop. I didn't wait for it to scream at me like it did yesterday. Unfortunately, that left one of my jobs totally missed. I made a deal with the pastor at my main job that I would begin my day at job #2 tomorrow and then come there if I had the energy. I came home and immediately took a long nap!

Pip - I am so glad you are okay--at least, on your way to okay! How scary!! If you think you ave a concussion, please be very careful. Doctors don't tell grownups about all of the things one needs to do to recover well. If my son hadn't had a concussion a year before mine, I'd be dead if I would've followed what the ER doc said.

Chris - I just want to give you a hug!

Oh! I meant to tell y'all...My shoulder surgery was unique/complicated enough that my doctor presented it at a conference week before last.

Off to do the dreaded shower and hair washing routine... :cry:

Carol in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    2157045gp85zev8ri.gif Today was my third weight lifting session of the month...better than last month....I'm still not at the twice a week that is my goal, but three times in 14 days in good for me.

:) Carol in NC, my friend who has had many surgeries has always gone back to work for just a few hours a day for a week or more before going back full time.

:'( Pip, sorry to hear that a trip to the ER messed with your super trip to LV.

:) Today was a great day that included a nap along with finishing everything on my "to do " list and a few extras.

<3 Barbie

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    @megblair1 - yes, I am a 'survivor' in more ways than one. But, when life throws me a curve ball - I will attempt to hit it out of the ball park. B)