females lifting heavy get bigger -_-

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I never understand how seeing muscle definition means getting bigger.
    My mom will gladly explain it to you lol

Well I am a visual learner if that helps her explain it more. I'd like to laugh at something that will make no sense.

She has zero definition. Does Zumba once a week and eats everything except veggies. Her belly is exceptionally round. It's quite amazing. I think you would learn a lot!

LOL.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

It's not an uncommon misconception, even today. Many times, people see women with low body fat percentages as "bulky" because of the muscle definition.

That is the thing though. Those women are lean. Like that thread before of when Madonna got her muscle definition on. Some posters called her bulky and I was like how little does she weigh. I thing I can throw her with one arm.

That's why it's a misconception. Some times it takes awhile to change how things are viewed/perceived. Especially something that has been a part of a few society norms for a very long time.
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options

It's not an uncommon misconception, even today. Many times, people see women with low body fat percentages as "bulky" because of the muscle definition.

That is the thing though. Those women are lean. Like that thread before of when Madonna got her muscle definition on. Some posters called her bulky and I was like how little does she weigh. I thing I can throw her with one arm.

I think my family thinks that because I'm not small and can't be thrown with one arm that I will look like Madonna on steroids one day
  • Kriistabell
    Options

That's why it's a misconception. Some times it takes awhile to change how things are viewed/perceived. Especially something that has been a part of a few society norms for a very long time.

My mother would try to school you on how you're wrong and crazy... And use no facts! She's magical
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I think my family thinks that because I'm not small and can't be thrown with one arm that I will look like Madonna on steroids one day

challenge-accepted.jpg

• nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I hope everybody in this thread is saying the same thing that I'm about to, which is: kindly request your family shove it, your body is AWESOME - you should really love it more, and if lifting & getting strong is what you want to do... DO IT. B)

While every woman will have different goals, I've been trying to bulk up for a few years now, and it's hard. You're not going to wake up one morning and not recognize yourself, because you're gotten "too bulky". Strong women is where it's fckin at. Pick up those weights, girl!!

Also, our families are usually unsupportive jerks.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

My mother would try to school you on how you're wrong and crazy... And use no facts! She's magical

Then I give this gif to your mother....

tumblr_m5xzmd7rgz1qbaj4uo1_400.gif

:laugh: :wink:
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Read this, and show it to your family:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/sallytamarkin/am-i-right-ladies

Shamelessly stolen from this thread ( http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33111158#Comment_33111158 ):
    hhk8bs8a8wk1.jpg

Both require dedication ... the left also requires significant supplementation.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    There is an MFP user who co-leads the Eat Train Progress group here. @Sarauk2sf

You can check out her blog and pictures. She's awesome, knowledgable and can deadlift 325lbs+. And she's not "bulky" at all :bigsmile:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The idea behind that picture is good - but WTF with the little 2-3 lb dumbbell? No wonder people have so many misconceptions regarding fitness.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Your family is being really disrespectful and rude. It makes me sad that they are taking away your pride and determination towards your goals. I hope that you can try not to listen to them, because at the end of the day, all that matters is how you feel about yourself. Don't let them bring you down!
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    I hope everybody in this thread is saying the same thing that I'm about to, which is: kindly request your family shove it, your body is AWESOME - you should really love it more, and if lifting & getting strong is what you want to do... DO IT. B)

While every woman will have different goals, I've been trying to bulk up for a few years now, and it's hard. You're not going to wake up one morning and not recognize yourself, because you're gotten "too bulky". Strong women is where it's fckin at. Pick up those weights, girl!!

Also, our families are usually unsupportive jerks.

I love hope motivating you are! Thank you! Everyone on here has def been saying that so I'm listening, I promise. I'm thinking of doubling up on gym sessions today. Twice today sounds like a good idea :smiley:
  • Kriistabell
    Options

Then I give this gif to your mother....

tumblr_m5xzmd7rgz1qbaj4uo1_400.gif

:laugh: :wink:

:lol: I love it
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Also, another example you'll see pop up from time to time here on MFP:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

Left was taken when she was 131lbs, the right is her 11lbs heavier (142lbs). And she deadlifts 300lbs+ as well.
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Your family is being really disrespectful and rude. It makes me sad that they are taking away your pride and determination towards your goals. I hope that you can try not to listen to them, because at the end of the day, all that matters is how you feel about yourself. Don't let them bring you down!

I'm trying not to. Not has a great supporting community so all of these comments are really making it easier on me. Thank you!
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Also, another example you'll see pop up from time to time here on MFP:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

Left was taken when she was 131lbs, the right is her 11lbs heavier (142lbs). And she deadlifts 300lbs+ as well.

I :heart: this!!!!
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    Read this, and show it to your family:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/sallytamarkin/am-i-right-ladies

Shamelessly stolen from this thread ( http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33111158#Comment_33111158 ):
    hhk8bs8a8wk1.jpg

Both require dedication ... the left also requires significant supplementation.

Lol that's awesome. Thanks!
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    The idea behind that picture is good - but WTF with the little 2-3 lb dumbbell? No wonder people have so many misconceptions regarding fitness.
    Lol that's true
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have an opposite but similar problem. My mom likes to pick out little things that I'm already insecure about. When I was in high school she constantly pointed out my acne, and if I put on a little weight she always pointed it out, if I was ever upset about something she always asked me if I was on my period (surely, as a woman she should know that you should NEVER ask that!). I'm not sure why she did all of that, but I'm almost sure the weight thing was because she was thin in high school and college and pretty much until a couple years after she had me. I think she's just worried that I'll end up obese and unhappy with myself like she is, which is understandable but I think she could have been nicer and less annoying about it. But the plus side is that she's really supportive when I do lose weight. BUT I don't lose weight because she thinks I should, or because anyone else tells me I should. I work out, eat better, and lift because I love it! A lot of people have mentioned that you probably wont get bulky eating a deficit, which is true, but no matter where you end up it's YOUR body, and it's the one you have to live in for your whole life, not them. Learn to love yourself, inside and out and realize that other people's idea of what you should look like doesn't matter.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

In addition to working out, you should work on your mindset.

First post I've seen mindset mentioned - +10. This site really needs a rep button.

You're not on here much are you.

Not in the forums, no not much.