Lower belly pooch

Options
Ok, I know you can't spot reduce, and that's NOT what I'm trying to do. I'm looking for exercises to help tone my lower abdomen.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There is no exercise that will "tone" your lower abdomen. You will get a "toned" look by reducing body fat. Lower belly fat is often last last, most stubborn fat to go. Your diet needs to be dialed in, and training will help as well. To strengthen your core, I'd suggest big compound movements like squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press, etc, along with plank variations, leg raises, kettle bell swings, Turkish get-ups, windmills, etc.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    What you seek can only be done by losing more fat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I know I can't spot reduce but if I use the word tone instead, c'n I do that? :)

What Jen said ^^ (although I have no idea what a Turkish get-up is and I'm off to google)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    LOL..nope...no how...not doing that, I would so drop that kettle bell on my face
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Fork putdowns and table pushaways.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that, even at my thinnest, I still had a little bit of stubborn lower belly pooch. That's just where my chub wants to hang out forever until the end of time.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

LOL. How many sets?

A strong core is necessary for almost any exercise regardless. Reverse crunches, leg raises (maybe adding ankle weights or a dumbbell between your feet if it gets easy), and planks will help engage and strengthen your lower core. The saying "abs are made in the kitchen" is essentially true though.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I hate planks

Waste of time exercise unless starter or dynamic

Jus' sayin'
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I know I can't spot reduce but if I use the word tone instead, c'n I do that? :)

What Jen said ^^ (although I have no idea what a Turkish get-up is and I'm off to google)

Toning and spot reducing are totally different things, don't talk to me like I'm stupid. You can be very thin with very low body fat and still have minimal muscle definition. I'm looking for exercises that will strengthen my lower ab muscles.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen.
  • randomtai
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »

Toning and spot reducing are totally different things, don't talk to me like I'm stupid. You can be very thin with very low body fat and still have minimal muscle definition. I'm looking for exercises that will strengthen my lower ab muscles.

Oh boy.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

Oh boy.

Took the words right out of my mouth. "oh, boy."
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

They're not totally different things.

You can "strengthen your lower ab muscles", but that's not going to do anything to the fat on top of them, that you're seeking to get rid of.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    ?? Never mind. Everyone here is more concerned with losing weight than with strengthening muscles.
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I didn't talk to you as though you were stupid, I pointed out that you know you can't do it but still want to know how to

Just to clarify, "Toning" doesn't exist...muscles do 2 things only ...they get bigger or smaller

Toning is a media / dieting manipulation of tonus - a measure of muscle's resistance

You have to keep cutting fat to reveal underlying muscle

If you don't have adequate musculature you have to body recomp or bulk and cut

But I suppose you know that too
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ?? Never mind. Everyone here is more concerned with losing weight than with strengthening muscles.

What now?

This forum, as a group, is incredibly into working muscles. I have no idea where you're getting that. You can strengthen your ab muscles, but it won't do anything about your "pooch." To address that, you've got to address your overall body fat.
  • randomtai
    Options

Lift heavy things and put them back down. Look up a progressive lifting program.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

They're not totally different things.

You can "strengthen your lower ab muscles", but that's not going to do anything to the fat on top of them, that you're seeking to get rid of.

I'm not TRYING to do anything about the fat. That was the whole POINT. I'm trying to work on the muscle NOT the fat. I am WELL aware that I just have to keep losing weight to get rid of the fat, I'm working on the muscle because I know that building lower abdominal muscles will help with my back pain/posture which will help pull in that pooch.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Laughssss...seriously?

Stronglifts5x5
    Ice cream fitness
    Starting strength
    Strong curves
    NROLFW

Pick one and follow the programme
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options