Lower belly pooch

Options

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna assume OP went ahead and checked out of here. No one's telling her what she wants to hear.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    "Tone" comes from lower body fat and adequate lean mass. Since you described it as a pooch it indicates there is still fat, which is why people are telling you to lose fat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OP...everyone has already told you what's up. That's just the way it goes. You can't "tone" your belly. That doesn't even make sense. You can't "tone" anything. Your muscles HAVE tone but you can't change their tone. You need to understand this in order to establish goals and then be successful.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/toning/
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do pushups. Lots of them. And planks. Lots of them. Get up to about 50 of each every day.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Deer-popcorn.gif
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look for exercises that strengthen the core.

For taking care of that drooping belly, Google "panniculus".
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    Ok, I know you can't spot reduce, and that's NOT what I'm trying to do. I'm looking for exercises to help tone my lower abdomen.

LOL you are just replacing "spot reduce" with "toning" and trying to do the same thing.

eat in a deficit, follow some kind of strength training program, and hit macros/micros.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Do pushups. Lots of them. And planks. Lots of them. Get up to about 50 of each every day.

not sure if serious….
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

not sure if serious….

Wondering the same.

atypical-I know you like to joke sometimes so I just assumed you were?
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    ok, first of all: none of you need to be rude and come here to "laugh" at me. Y'all can *kitten* off.

2nd of all, apparently I am defining "tone" different than some of you. I am trying to build the muscle. That is all I mean by tone. The toning of the muscle itself is not something I expect to see on the outside, I just have very week abdominal muscles.

Strengthening abdominal muscles helps with better posture. That is a proven and accepted fact. A lot of the reason many girls have a "pooch" is not always because of fat, to some extent it may be, but some of it can be caused by bad posture... which is a huge problem for me.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I know I can't spot reduce but if I use the word tone instead, c'n I do that? :)

What Jen said ^^ (although I have no idea what a Turkish get-up is and I'm off to google)

Toning and spot reducing are totally different things, don't talk to me like I'm stupid. You can be very thin with very low body fat and still have minimal muscle definition. I'm looking for exercises that will strengthen my lower ab muscles.

They're not totally different things.

You can "strengthen your lower ab muscles", but that's not going to do anything to the fat on top of them, that you're seeking to get rid of.

I'm not TRYING to do anything about the fat. That was the whole POINT. I'm trying to work on the muscle NOT the fat. I am WELL aware that I just have to keep losing weight to get rid of the fat, I'm working on the muscle because I know that building lower abdominal muscles will help with my back pain/posture which will help pull in that pooch.

you need to get ride of the fat for your abdominal muscles to show….

I think you need to go back to the drawing board and reeducate yourself on the basics of training and nutrition.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Fork putdowns and table pushaways.

my forks are not heavy cant see how that will work
    not sure if i can push my table, bit heavy
    anything else?

maybe stop being so literal ...
  • A_New_Creation
    A_New_Creation Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    @kateyb94 I've had much success with this 10 min Pilates workout: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fdMptxZv4hQ
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    I know I can't spot reduce but if I use the word tone instead, c'n I do that? :)

What Jen said ^^ (although I have no idea what a Turkish get-up is and I'm off to google)

Toning and spot reducing are totally different things, don't talk to me like I'm stupid. You can be very thin with very low body fat and still have minimal muscle definition. I'm looking for exercises that will strengthen my lower ab muscles.

You can "strengthen your lower ab muscles", but that's not going to do anything to the fat on top of them, that you're seeking to get rid of.

I'm not TRYING to do anything about the fat. That was the whole POINT. I'm trying to work on the muscle NOT the fat. I am WELL aware that I just have to keep losing weight to get rid of the fat, I'm working on the muscle because I know that building lower abdominal muscles will help with my back pain/posture which will help pull in that pooch.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board and reeducate yourself on the basics of training and nutrition.

I;m not trying to get the muscles to show. Ok? maybe "Tone" wasn't the correct word to use because apparently all of you equate "tone" with "spot reduce". I am simply trying to strengthen the muscles. That's all I'm asking for.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I;m not trying to get the muscles to show. Ok? maybe "Tone" wasn't the correct word to use because apparently all of you equate "tone" with "spot reduce". I am simply trying to strengthen the muscles. That's all I'm asking for.

If you have pain/issues, then I would suggest consulting with your physician or a physical therapist.
  • ndj1979
    Options

it is generally accepted that toning = spot reducing. I am sorry did not know that.

• KateSimpson17
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

If you have pain/issues, then I would suggest consulting with your physician or a physical therapist.

I've done physical therapy, and I've told my doctors many times, but physical therapy only helped my upper back issues (and my insurance wont cover any more) and my doctors don't seem to want to listen to me (even though I tell them about it at least twice a year).
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

it is generally accepted that toning = spot reducing. I am sorry did not know that.

I've always heard it used (or at least assumed it was being used) to talk about building muscle, making that muscle that actually does something when you flex it rather than being soft. I'm sorry that we have different definitions, but maybe, instead of everyone acting like I'm some sort of idiot, people could ask about definitions. That should have been obvious since I specifically stated that I am well aware that I cannot spot reduce.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

I've done physical therapy, and I've told my doctors many times, but physical therapy only helped my upper back issues (and my insurance wont cover any more) and my doctors don't seem to want to listen to me (even though I tell them about it at least twice a year).

Find a new doctor. In the meantime, don't you still have the exercises the PT gave you? Maybe focus on those for strengthening your back.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    ?? Never mind. Everyone here is more concerned with losing weight than with strengthening muscles.

Laughssss...seriously?

Stronglifts5x5
    Ice cream fitness
    Starting strength
    Strong curves
    NROLFW

Pick one and follow the programme
    what-gif.gif

Why isn't bolded promoted on here like the rest? Is it special to the Gelato & Ice Cream group?