Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I know I can't spot reduce but if I use the word tone instead, c'n I do that? :)

What Jen said ^^ (although I have no idea what a Turkish get-up is and I'm off to google)

Toning and spot reducing are totally different things, don't talk to me like I'm stupid. You can be very thin with very low body fat and still have minimal muscle definition. I'm looking for exercises that will strengthen my lower ab muscles.

They're not totally different things.

You can "strengthen your lower ab muscles", but that's not going to do anything to the fat on top of them, that you're seeking to get rid of.

I'm not TRYING to do anything about the fat. That was the whole POINT. I'm trying to work on the muscle NOT the fat. I am WELL aware that I just have to keep losing weight to get rid of the fat, I'm working on the muscle because I know that building lower abdominal muscles will help with my back pain/posture which will help pull in that pooch.

If you are trying to gain muscle definition, you need to build muscle, which means you need to eat at a surplus and focus on a progressive resistance program.

If you are happy with your current weight and want to VERY slowly lose some fat and gain some muscle, you would likely need to do a recomposition, where you would eat at your maintenance level and focus on a progressive resistance program.

You can do ab exercises all day long, but it would be far more effective to do compound exercises with freeweights such as deadlifts, squats, and bench, which all will work your abs when done correctly.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I know I can't spot reduce but if I use the word tone instead, c'n I do that? :)

What Jen said ^^ (although I have no idea what a Turkish get-up is and I'm off to google)

Toning and spot reducing are totally different things, don't talk to me like I'm stupid. You can be very thin with very low body fat and still have minimal muscle definition. I'm looking for exercises that will strengthen my lower ab muscles.

You can "strengthen your lower ab muscles", but that's not going to do anything to the fat on top of them, that you're seeking to get rid of.

I'm not TRYING to do anything about the fat. That was the whole POINT. I'm trying to work on the muscle NOT the fat. I am WELL aware that I just have to keep losing weight to get rid of the fat, I'm working on the muscle because I know that building lower abdominal muscles will help with my back pain/posture which will help pull in that pooch.

............but the fat will still be there?

If you want to strengthen your core, I'd suggest yoga. There are specific routines for back pain.

But nothing will get rid of the pooch except losing the pooch via fat loss.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    ?? Never mind. Everyone here is more concerned with losing weight than with strengthening muscles.

Hardly. I'm actually above "ideal" weight for my height and I like it that way. I have a flat stomach, not ripped, no visible abs and I never will because I'm just not interested in getting down to that point. It's really genetic where you will lose/gain first and last, if you hold onto it in your belly then you'll have to get to a lower BF%. I lose weight in my face last. When I was 110 pounds I still had a double chin and round face, I think I'm part bullfrog. If you don't want to lose pounds (like me) then you can look into building up muscles (all over) by lifting. I haven't done a crunch or sit up in a decade easy. A belly pooch is not flappy, hanging muscle that you need to tone up. It's fat or loose skin. tone is the name of a result gained from shedding fat covering muscle - losing it makes you firmer, more defined. You can do all the planks in the world and build some nice abs.....you won't see them if you still have a layer of insulation covering them
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    ?? Never mind. Everyone here is more concerned with losing weight than with strengthening muscles.

Lmao ... I think you need to do some research op , your clearly misunderstanding some things.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Fork putdowns and table pushaways.

my forks are not heavy cant see how that will work
    not sure if i can push my table, bit heavy
    anything else?

Sucks for you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you want to lose 17lbs

So

Calorie defecit and lift heavy whilst you do it ...I posted 5 programmes up there, top 3 are internet, bottom 2 books
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

anything else?

Sucks for you.

i know right. should buy bigger forks, and a smaller table
  • randomtai
    Options

anything else?

Sucks for you.

Or a better sense of humor. :laugh:
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Direct quote of your original post: "I'm looking for exercises to help tone my lower abdomen."

You never mentioned posture and back pain. Be sure to state these things in your future posts, so that you get the help/suggestions/advice you're looking for.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

anything else?

Sucks for you.

i will leave that strength with you :laugh:
  • randomtai
    Options

anything else?

Sucks for you.

K

213ezj7.gif
  • Therealobi1
    Options

anything else?

Sucks for you.

K

Is this your alternative to fork lifts. Thanks
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to LOL at the OP calling out rabbit and randomtai, of all people, as if they know nothing about strengthening of all the musclez. Needed a laugh today, thanks!!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Just pull it in. It's as simple as that. That is the single best exercise. Hold it in all day long for best results. :+1:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Just stopping by to LOL at the OP calling out rabbit and randomtai, of all people, as if they know nothing about strengthening of all the musclez. Needed a laugh today, thanks!!!

I needed a good laugh too.
    . I bet the op could teach us something about strength training for sure ! (NOT)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Strengthening your abdominal muscles won't do anything to "pull in" fat that's on top of them. Unless you think that pooch is your muscles which it isn't.
    Also, no lower abdominal muscles, there's only 2 abdominal muscles that go downwards one on the left and one on the right, the partitioned look comes from connective tissue that sits on top of them.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Best Line.... EVER
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know you can't spot reduce, and that's NOT what I'm trying to do. I'm looking for exercises to help tone my lower abdomen.

What you're describing is spot reducing. You are right, you can't.

• SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options

............but the fat will still be there?

If you want to strengthen your core, I'd suggest yoga. There are specific routines for back pain.

But nothing will get rid of the pooch except losing the pooch via fat loss.

If you have back pain Pilates could be great too. The Pilates classes I've been to are majority core work because you need a strong core to do everything in Pilates and instructors will always give you modifications if you have back issues.