kateyb94 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I know I can't spot reduce but if I use the word tone instead, c'n I do that? :)

What Jen said ^^ (although I have no idea what a Turkish get-up is and I'm off to google)

Toning and spot reducing are totally different things, don't talk to me like I'm stupid. You can be very thin with very low body fat and still have minimal muscle definition. I'm looking for exercises that will strengthen my lower ab muscles.

They're not totally different things.

You can "strengthen your lower ab muscles", but that's not going to do anything to the fat on top of them, that you're seeking to get rid of.

I'm not TRYING to do anything about the fat. That was the whole POINT. I'm trying to work on the muscle NOT the fat. I am WELL aware that I just have to keep losing weight to get rid of the fat, I'm working on the muscle because I know that building lower abdominal muscles will help with my back pain/posture which will help pull in that pooch.

you need to get ride of the fat for your abdominal muscles to show….

I think you need to go back to the drawing board and reeducate yourself on the basics of training and nutrition.

I;m not trying to get the muscles to show. Ok? maybe "Tone" wasn't the correct word to use because apparently all of you equate "tone" with "spot reduce". I am simply trying to strengthen the muscles. That's all I'm asking for.

If you have pain/issues, then I would suggest consulting with your physician or a physical therapist.

I've done physical therapy, and I've told my doctors many times, but physical therapy only helped my upper back issues (and my insurance wont cover any more) and my doctors don't seem to want to listen to me (even though I tell them about it at least twice a year).

Find a new doctor. In the meantime, don't you still have the exercises the PT gave you? Maybe focus on those for strengthening your back.

Yes, but most of the exercises require equipment (like dumbells and bands, nothing too fancy) that I can't afford to buy. As far as finding a new doctor, once again my insurance is super crappy and wont cover any more office visits this year.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I know I can't spot reduce but if I use the word tone instead, c'n I do that? :)

What Jen said ^^ (although I have no idea what a Turkish get-up is and I'm off to google)

Toning and spot reducing are totally different things, don't talk to me like I'm stupid. You can be very thin with very low body fat and still have minimal muscle definition. I'm looking for exercises that will strengthen my lower ab muscles.

You can "strengthen your lower ab muscles", but that's not going to do anything to the fat on top of them, that you're seeking to get rid of.

I'm not TRYING to do anything about the fat. That was the whole POINT. I'm trying to work on the muscle NOT the fat. I am WELL aware that I just have to keep losing weight to get rid of the fat, I'm working on the muscle because I know that building lower abdominal muscles will help with my back pain/posture which will help pull in that pooch.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board and reeducate yourself on the basics of training and nutrition.

I;m not trying to get the muscles to show. Ok? maybe "Tone" wasn't the correct word to use because apparently all of you equate "tone" with "spot reduce". I am simply trying to strengthen the muscles. That's all I'm asking for.

If you have pain/issues, then I would suggest consulting with your physician or a physical therapist.

I've done physical therapy, and I've told my doctors many times, but physical therapy only helped my upper back issues (and my insurance wont cover any more) and my doctors don't seem to want to listen to me (even though I tell them about it at least twice a year).

Find a new doctor. In the meantime, don't you still have the exercises the PT gave you? Maybe focus on those for strengthening your back.

Yes, but most of the exercises require equipment (like dumbells and bands, nothing too fancy) that I can't afford to buy. As far as finding a new doctor, once again my insurance is super crappy and wont cover any more office visits this year.

Usually you can find alternatives to exercises that use bands and dumbbells. Bodybuilding.com has an extensive exercise base. What exercises are they? I'm sure we could probably find the bodyweight equivalents to them.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Honestly, any exercise you do, if you are engaging your core, you are going to strengthen it. The lower your body fat percentage, while you keep engaging your core while exercising and tightening it up, the more you'll notice a flatter belly.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    ok, first of all: none of you need to be rude and come here to "laugh" at me. Y'all can *kitten* off.

2nd of all, apparently I am defining "tone" different than some of you. I am trying to build the muscle. That is all I mean by tone. The toning of the muscle itself is not something I expect to see on the outside, I just have very week abdominal muscles.

Strengthening abdominal muscles helps with better posture. That is a proven and accepted fact. A lot of the reason many girls have a "pooch" is not always because of fat, to some extent it may be, but some of it can be caused by bad posture... which is a huge problem for me.

No one came here to laugh at you. People are trying to help, but you keep yelling and cursing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ok, first of all: none of you need to be rude and come here to "laugh" at me. Y'all can *kitten* off.

2nd of all, apparently I am defining "tone" different than some of you. I am trying to build the muscle. That is all I mean by tone. The toning of the muscle itself is not something I expect to see on the outside, I just have very week abdominal muscles.

Strengthening abdominal muscles helps with better posture. That is a proven and accepted fact. A lot of the reason many girls have a "pooch" is not always because of fat, to some extent it may be, but some of it can be caused by bad posture... which is a huge problem for me.

y93nq1a14iwd.gif
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You are the one who isn't taking the time to read the responses.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

No one came here to laugh at you. People are trying to help, but you keep yelling and cursing.

There were actually 2 comments about coming here to laugh at me. I cursed once because that was incredibly rude.
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Flutter kicks and "hello dollies" will help stregthen the lower abs.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Stand up straight to help with your posture. Shut your mouth (or stop typing) to help with your miserable attitude. It's not necessary to swear at people who are trying to answer your questions.

You are the one who isn't taking the time to read the responses.

I read every single comment. Several of them were extremely rude, at least 2 or 3 of them said they specifically came to "laugh at OP". Many of them assumed I was trying to spot reduce, no matter how many times I said I was trying to work on the muscle not the fat. If my attitude is upsetting you it's only because nobody read MY comments.

Just "standing up straight" isn't going to help everyone with posture. Some people have naturally good posture, I have weak lower abdominal muscles and a twist in my spine that makes that very difficult.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Just stopping by to LOL at the OP calling out rabbit and randomtai, of all people, as if they know nothing about strengthening of all the musclez. Needed a laugh today, thanks!!!

Here's someone saying they came to laugh at me.
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Just stopping by to LOL at the OP calling out rabbit and randomtai, of all people, as if they know nothing about strengthening of all the musclez. Needed a laugh today, thanks!!!

I needed a good laugh too.
    . I bet the op could teach us something about strength training for sure ! (NOT)

as is this one.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    ?? Never mind. Everyone here is more concerned with losing weight than with strengthening muscles.

Laughssss...seriously?

Stronglifts5x5
    Ice cream fitness
    Starting strength
    Strong curves
    NROLFW

Pick one and follow the programme
    what-gif.gif

Why isn't bolded promoted on here like the rest? Is it special to the Gelato & Ice Cream group?

Ice Cream Fitness is Jason Blaha's brainchild 5x5 workout. Super effective, similar to Stronglifts but with a sweeter (HASEEWHATIDIDTHERE) name.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

There were actually 2 comments about coming here to laugh at me. I cursed once because that was incredibly rude.

You told people that were trying to help you that they obviously weren't concerned with strength and that they were treating you like you were stupid. It might have felt that way - posting on the forums tends to make you feel vulnerable. But they weren't being mean. They were trying to let you know that what you asked for (which seems to have been a miscommunication) wasn't possible.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

You told people that were trying to help you that they obviously weren't concerned with strength and that they were treating you like you were stupid. It might have felt that way - posting on the forums tends to make you feel vulnerable. But they weren't being mean. They were trying to let you know that what you asked for (which seems to have been a miscommunication) wasn't possible.

That's not what happened. Even though I started out by saying "I know I can't spot reduce" they insisted that that's what I was trying to do, rather than thinking "hmm what else could she mean by that if she doesn't mean she wants to spot reduce". I repeatedly said that I was trying to build the muscle, but people were still saying "it wont get rid of the fat" even though I am WELL aware, and that's not what I am trying to do.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

That's not what happened. Even though I started out by saying "I know I can't spot reduce" they insisted that that's what I was trying to do, rather than thinking "hmm what else could she mean by that if she doesn't mean she wants to spot reduce". I repeatedly said that I was trying to build the muscle, but people were still saying "it wont get rid of the fat" even though I am WELL aware, and that's not what I am trying to do.

Honey, everyone on this thread was really confused about what you were looking for - mostly likely because of your thread title. That's okay though. You got lots of good recommendations. I'll reiterate mine: yoga - it's great for core strength and I have excellent posture :) Strength training is good, too.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Here's someone saying they came to laugh at me.
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

I needed a good laugh too.
    . I bet the op could teach us something about strength training for sure ! (NOT)

as is this one.

I was laughing at your accusations toward 2 of the most knowledgeable members on these forums. But now I am laughing at you. Lower your shields, you might learn a thing or 2.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

The word tone is very vague and never goes over well in the forums here. I would suggest that if you want to add muscle, that you say that, or strengthen. Or build. Something more specific than tone, which is usually used here in the sense of I want a toned tummy, or the like, which usually means losing body fat.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

Honey, everyone on this thread was really confused about what you were looking for - mostly likely because of your thread title. That's okay though. You got lots of good recommendations. I'll reiterate mine: yoga - it's great for core strength and I have excellent posture :) Strength training is good, too.

yes, there were some really good recommendations, and I really appreciate those. To everyone who gave those recommendations: Thanks!

Maybe you can understand my frustration when people are insisting that I am wrong about my own body when it's simply an issue of semantics when I tried to explain it several times, not to mention when people are literally commenting that they are here to laugh at me.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

The word tone is very vague and never goes over well in the forums here. I would suggest that if you want to add muscle, that you say that, or strengthen. Or build. Something more specific than tone, which is usually used here in the sense of I want a toned tummy, or the like, which usually means losing body fat.

That's good advice, I'd never seen anyone use "tone" before so I didn't know :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

yes, there were some really good recommendations, and I really appreciate those. To everyone who gave those recommendations: Thanks!

Maybe you can understand my frustration when people are insisting that I am wrong about my own body when it's simply an issue of semantics when I tried to explain it several times, not to mention when people are literally commenting that they are here to laugh at me.

Tone generally does mean burn fat, though. It's often used with trim as in trim fat. So I was confused, too - even with your further explanations.

You got pretty defensive, pretty fast and then yes, people saw that and commented showing their amusement. It's the internet :)

Try to realize that a lot of us are on here daily, answering the same questions over and over, every day to try to help people lose weight, build muscle, understand the process and when we try to help and people get snarky, it's frustrating.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

That's good advice, I'd never seen anyone use "tone" before so I didn't know :)

I have, and it never ends well :laugh: