Its impossible for me to lose weight with hypothyroidism

Options
Cut out pop entirely- Check
Eat 1200-1700 calories a day- Check
Get exercise as much as I can- Check
Eat more protein- Check
Move as much as I can- Check

I am 50lbs overweight. I have dieted once before only losing 15lbs. This time ive lost 5lbs and cant get away from only the 5lbs lost. I cannot lose weight and idk why. Im getting very discouraged. No matter how hard I try the scale wont go below 180. I have been told I have hypothyroidism by one Dr but wanted a 2nds opinion. I have tried everything with no luck. Its pretty much impossible. Im crying as I write this because im always going to be fat.

Replies

• underdog1fan
    underdog1fan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand your dilemma. I have had hypothyroidism for over 20 years. And I have struggled to lose weight also. I wish I could give you an answer on how to get the scale to move but all I can say is you are not alone. Keep trying!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I doubt it, there are other women here with the hypothroidism and they have successfully lost weight.

Add 3 more things to your checklist: a food scale, patience and realistic expectations.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you are eating too many calories. Hypothyroidism is challenging, but I've known many people who have lost weight with that struggle. Buy a food scale and weigh all your solid food, and measure all of your liquids. Stick to your calorie deficit.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Im trying yall. But when the scale goes down for 5lbs then goes back up to that 5lbs you lost and your still doing the same thing you did one week to the next its kinda discouraging.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    If im doing anything im eating too low of calories.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you have hypo, you need to get on meds. Not only does it make it hard (NOT IMPOSSIBLE) to lose weight, but there's a host of other health concerns that come with hypothyroidism. So #1, SEE A DOCTOR. Then yes, scale and patience and accuracy. It's not impossible - I had thyroid cancer and had half of it removed. The other half doesn't work worth a damn. Get your meds if you need them (which only a doctor can tell you) and the rest will fall into place with some effort.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Is your condition being well managed with medication?

If you're not losing weight, you're eating too much. This isn't meant as an insult, to imply that you're lying or that you're intentionally doing something wrong. Logging properly is a learned skill.

Looking at your diary, it appears you aren't using a scale to weigh your food. Outside of medication, that's where I'd start.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    If im doing anything im eating too low of calories.

Nope. Not possible. If you weren't eating enough calories, you would be losing weight, that's just how it works. Your body cannot hold onto weight while it isn't receiving enough fuel.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I had a previous Dr tell me I was hypo. He gave me iodine supplements. Which did nothing for me. So I switched Drs. Just had blood work done and am getting a ultrasound done of my thyroid this week. Hoping he can tell me why I cant lose this weight. I lose the same 5-15lbs then gain it back. And I dont do anything different.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Im practically starving myself. Im eat 3 egg whites and a piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast, 1 cup of soup with veggies and a whole wheat shredded chicken breast with bbq sauce and a very small dinner.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Im practically starving myself. Im eat 3 egg whites and a piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast, 1 cup of soup with veggies and a whole wheat shredded chicken breast with bbq sauce and a very small dinner.

Please buy a food scale. And please read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Im trying yall. But when the scale goes down for 5lbs then goes back up to that 5lbs you lost and your still doing the same thing you did one week to the next its kinda discouraging.

Hi, welcome back.

A few observations, please take them in the spirit intended. I scanned back several days in your diary to get an idea of what you are doing.
    1. It's very clear you do not weigh much of your food, if any. It is very possible you are eating much more calories than you intend.
    2. You rely on a lot of package portion foods. These can be off by quite a bit and can be high in sodium which can lead to water weight retention.
    3. You don't have any green vegetables or high protein foods. You probably don't feel very full due to the lack of bulk or foods that help you feel full.

Hopefully you can start making changes. You don't have to give up pizza or sweets entirely, but you do need to make some adjustments for your own good.

Using a food scale consistently is a big start, and one you can do right away.

Talk to your doctor about how your thyroid condition affects your metabolism, too.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    No such thing as impossible to lose weight.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thanks guys.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I have been told I have hypothyroidism by one Dr but wanted a 2nds opinion. I have tried everything with no luck. Its pretty much impossible.

Did you go get that second opinion? If you are hypo, you will need to be on meds to regulate your thyroid hormones.

I gained over 50 pounds in less than a year, despite counting calories and working out. I started on meds as soon as I was diagnosed hypo (my gyn started me on a low dose, and then referred me to an endocrinologist, who upped my dose every 2-3 months until my thyroid levels were where he wanted them based on how I FELT - which for me is on the very low end of "normal"). It took nearly a year to get me on the correct dose of thyroid meds, and throughout that time (still counting calories and working out), I continued to gain tho at a slower rate....then my weight sort of leveled off, and I played tug of war with 5 pounds for about 6 months....but during those months, I started sleeping better, I wasn't nearly as tired, I had more energy, my hair stopped falling out, and overall FELT so much better physically. Once I finally got on the correct dose of meds, it took about 3 months before I started losing weight. It is SLOW (I've lost 60 pounds in about 2.5 years). I have to count EVERY calorie I put in my mouth, and I have to workout like a fiend. But it is possible.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Weigh every single thing you eat and drink. Get a cheapie scale from walmart or target.