July 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 That challenge sounds great! I love free stuff! And it's funny that you compare GU and Stinger chews to gummy bears. I've been thinking about abandoning my gels and taking gummy bears and other real foods after lots of people in my running group have talked about eating gummies & fruit and drinking Coke during marathons, lol.

The hat was nice, but not nearly as functional as my North Face running hat. That thing is amazing how it sucks the sweat off my brow. I thought it was overpriced when I bought it for $26, but it's worth every penny.

I openly proclaim ignorance in such matters as these gels and chews, but the when the salesguy described them as "like gummy bears", that made me think, 'hmmmm'. I did try a Nuun tablet today and it tastes great. The way I sweat I could see an electrolyte being helpful on long runs, but I don't want to carry water, so I may have to split my run into loops and just keep it at my truck. I'm still a ways from needing that, though, I'm only up to 7 miles for my long run.

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Back in the hot humid south, so ended up running late this evening with a slower neighbor. Just put in the required 4 miles to hit my monthly target, but I'm curious how speedwork will go tomorrow.

7/1 - 6 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-mile-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 1:45 pace)
    7/3 - 5 miles w. strides
    7/5 - 13 miles
    7/6 - 6.5 miles
    7/7 - 7 miles w. strides
    7/9 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-mile-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 1:43 pace)
    7/10 - 6 miles
    7/11 - 5.5 miles
    7/12 - 10.5 miles
    7/13 - 8.5 miles
    7/14 - 5 miles
    7/15 - 4 miles

Total: 89 miles, 2 speedwork session
    Goal: 140 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 51 miles, 3 speedwork sessions
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    3.7 today. Goofed off a lot on the trail, as I tend to do..... Heard a squirrel chattering away above, then got hit in the head with a stick and had another land right by me. Booger had good aim. And low tolerance for my nonsense, lol! Traps were bare, but there is more rain in the forecast for this weekend. 45.3/80j6194obv2y5a.jpg

LOL. Better hunting next time!

I used honey stingers during my HM. Not sure if they do anything either but the make me thirsty. I have a friend who eats mini tootsie rolls. I just brought caffeinated gum, the girl at the running store recommended it. She said you don't get thirsty and she thought that it helped on long runs. I haven't tried it yet.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 That challenge sounds great! I love free stuff! And it's funny that you compare GU and Stinger chews to gummy bears. I've been thinking about abandoning my gels and taking gummy bears and other real foods after lots of people in my running group have talked about eating gummies & fruit and drinking Coke during marathons, lol.

The hat was nice, but not nearly as functional as my North Face running hat. That thing is amazing how it sucks the sweat off my brow. I thought it was overpriced when I bought it for $26, but it's worth every penny.

I openly proclaim ignorance in such matters as these gels and chews, but the when the salesguy described them as "like gummy bears", that made me think, 'hmmmm'. I did try a Nuun tablet today and it tastes great. The way I sweat I could see an electrolyte being helpful on long runs, but I don't want to carry water, so I may have to split my run into loops and just keep it at my truck. I'm still a ways from needing that, though, I'm only up to 7 miles for my long run.

I like the sport beans. They have vitamin b and c, electrolytes and carbs. I can't see doing the candy. But I don't have a huge calorie burn. Maybe a bit before a long run or a race i might though.

The running hat sound awesome! I have a hydration belt for the really hot runs. I also park and run a loop to stop and grab water out of the car. Carrying water and Gatorade is a bit of a distraction.
  • rajnigandha21
    rajnigandha21 Posts: 121 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Due to sudden flu attack and health issues in my family could not work out at all. Lost 14 days. :'( Anyway ran 4.2 km today. Feeling good.
    15/07/15 4.2 km
    Goal: 50 km
    exercise.png
    I forgot to add one previous run.
    15/07 4.2 km
    02/07 4.2 km
    Goal: 50 km
    exercise.png

• baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    When I was in NYC the past week I would give a wave or nod to the runners I passed and no one would even look at me. Here in VA, and when I get home in FL, that's just the standard. People give a wave back or wave first. I just kept on waving and smiling at people to see if anyone would respond - a couple did!

I grew up doing that in CA and also in VA... so here it's weird I catch myself smiling or saying hi- or good jog here in NJ and people look at me like I"m crazy- or they just seriously don't make eye contact.
    Yes- the struggle of being a friendly runner!

LOL I'm from MD, and I live in NJ now. It's like people are afraid to speak or smile up here. I think it's funny.

It's so true! I'm from Iowa and am currently living in NJ, so I'm always accidentally making accidentally eye contact and awkwardly smiling at people who would much rather pretend to ignore my existence entirely!

Same here. It always feels weird, but I can't help but at least smile or nod when I pass someone. Oh well, somebody will eventually say hi lol.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    7/15: 5 miles

So far: 68.3 out of 115 miles
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options

exercise.png

6.3 miles this morning.

28C or 82 deg F at 0700 this morning with 70% humidity - love the Cyprus summer!!

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I like the sport beans. They have vitamin b and c, electrolytes and carbs. I can't see doing the candy. But I don't have a huge calorie burn. Maybe a bit before a long run or a race i might though.

The running hat sound awesome! I have a hydration belt for the really hot runs. I also park and run a loop to stop and grab water out of the car. Carrying water and Gatorade is a bit of a distraction.

I actually do take gummie bears on my long runs. Or sometime little winegum "coke bottles" and stuff like that. Cheap and sold in every supermarket... If I ever run really really long distances, I might have to look into more advanced fueling options with electrolytes, but until now the gummie bears worked well for me - and they taste good :smiley:
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A bad 5k on the treadmill last night and a much better 10k this morning running hills...waiting for the pain to kick in :D

exercise.png
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If I don't say it enough, I love you guys! You're all inspirational! And most of all, like @skippygirlsmom 's video, you all love to talk Running!!!
    4 miles today, tapering. Off to Erie this afternoon with the Lovely Family. So excited for the Half this weekend there!
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for July
    7/1 REST DAY
    7/2 7.5 miles - 7.5
    7/3 REST DAY
    7/4 13.2 miles - 20.7
    7/5 REST DAY
    7/6 7.3 miles - 28
    7/7 7 miles - 35
    7/8 REST DAY
    7/9 5.25 miles - 40.25
    7/10 REST DAY
    7/11 13.4 miles - 53.65
    7/12 REST DAY
    7/13 8.1 miles - 61.75
    7/14 9 miles - 70.75
    7/15 3.6 miles - 74.35
    7/16 8 miles - 82.35

exercise.png

• krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    exercise.png16 more run days to go! I'm on track to goal Hope everyone is enjoying the challenge... keep running!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Hate doing this on my blackberry I can't figure out cut and paste. So...

7/16 - 5 miles around the Grand Ole Opry and Opryland Hotel grounds.

56 out of 100 miles

You old Country folks (like me) would have loved Opry last night. 54 years ago last night Bill Anderson joined the Opry. He sounded amazing. Gaitlyn Bros and Bellamy Bros were there fantastic. The Issaic Family sang a version of the Lord's Prayer that had the hair on my arms standing on end. Mom loved it!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

That is hilarious. "Fiber before oragami." "App that tracks exactly what I'm gardening." "we're training. For charity!"

We are ALL guilty as charged. And unrepentant.

Definitely guilty as charged! I try not to talk about it with non-runners but it's not easy.
    @ohhim - I'm back in Florida too. Glad to be home except for the heat! Didn't even attempt to get up early this AM but I will tomorrow. Walked outside at 8am and thought OMG how did I run in this 3 weeks ago?

July 1 - rest
    July 2 - 3.75 run/walk combo
    July 3 - 5 miles
    July 4 - 5.76 miles
    July 5 - walked 5 miles in morning to scout out a place to do long run. Then walked another 6 all around the city.
    July 6 - rest
    July 7 - 8.6 - fun run to Roosevelt Island and then around the island. Weather is great for me!
    July 8 - 4.1 miles
    July 9 - 3.51 miles - last run with daughter until HM in October. :(
    July 10 - 5.2 miles in the hills of Virginia.
    July 11 - 3.5
    July 12 - 4.3 very slow miles
    July 13 - rest
    July 14 - 9.26 miles
    July 15- rest day - driving back to FL day.
    July 16 - strength training

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    You really don't need sports beans or gels or gummy bears or the sorts for any race that lasts under 90 minutes. Water yes, but not carbs. If you are running aerobically (keeping your pace below your lactate threshold) your body should learn to burn fat for fuel and you should have plenty of glycogen stores as long as you are eating right during training and leading up into your race.

It's better to get up 2 or 3 hours before your race and have a small meal of light carbs as opposed to worry about gu's and gels and sorts on the run. Marathon however is different or any race lasting more than 2 hours. In those situations you have to supplement with fueling because running low on glycogen is a reality in longer races.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    7/2 - 2.34 miles 7/15 - 4.6 miles
    7/4 - 6.1 miles
    7/6 - 2.94 miles
    7/7 - 4 miles
    7/8 - 2.42 miles
    7/9 - 3.56
    7/10 - 4.01
    7/13 - 4.5
    7/14 - 5.3

exercise.png

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    You really don't need sports beans or gels or gummy bears or the sorts for any race that lasts under 90 minutes. Water yes, but not carbs. If you are running aerobically (keeping your pace below your lactate threshold) your body should learn to burn fat for fuel and you should have plenty of glycogen stores as long as you are eating right during training and leading up into your race.

It's better to get up 2 or 3 hours before your race and have a small meal of light carbs as opposed to worry about gu's and gels and sorts on the run. Marathon however is different or any race lasting more than 2 hours. In those situations you have to supplement with fueling because running low on glycogen is a reality in longer races.

Amen! I HATE dealing with stuff while I run. I generally don't even worry about water for anything under 10 miles. Nor do I consume anything other than water during a HM. Just my feelings. Haven't done a full, so can't speak to that.

• melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If I don't say it enough, I love you guys! You're all inspirational! And most of all, like @skippygirlsmom 's video, you all love to talk Running!!!
    4 miles today, tapering. Off to Erie this afternoon with the Lovely Family. So excited for the Half this weekend there!
    exercise.png

Good luck, can't wait to hear all about it!
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Maybe more like "what hill?". Lol!uf77csqc3ajs.jpg